Too much ship on the tv?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by celtess, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I think pairing up major characters is always a slippery slope - if you pair up a main character with a recurring character, there's always the option to just take the recurring character out of the picture - but a main character love interest makes things more tricky. If it's done well, it can work - if it's not...you get the inconsistent, now-you-see-it-now-you-don't "romance" between Danny and Lindsay.

Starting out with all of the characters being single except the coroner is always going to make it difficult - if it's going to be realistic, people are going to have to date. They don't have to date their colleagues, of course, but they should have relationships.

It's finding the right balance that's the key, as CSI Cupcake said - just the right amount of finesse to get the point across without being heavy-handed with it. Love interests don't always have to show up on screen. Danny mentioned a girlfriend once and we never saw her - what's wrong with doing that for these characters? I feel like sometimes the writers avoid specifying some things because they want to leave their options wide open - but the problem with that is that it feels like they're neglecting things.

(Take Louie, for example - it's not the same as a romantic relationship, but you get what I mean - by not even having a quick mention of the character, it gives the impression that they have no grasp of continuity, when the truth is that they probably didn't want to mention it unless it was going to be a Big Deal - and now it seems like they've lost any real chance to do anything with the story. Was it worth holding out? Probably not. You can't always keep everything tucked away on a shelf in case of a rainy day - if that rainy day never comes, you're just throwing away stuff you could have made good use of.)

Sid is married, and we've never seen his wife. There's no reason Adam/Hawkes/Stella/etc can't have a significant other that is only mentioned in a few lines of dialogue or that only appears in a scene or two without being a victim/suspect/etc. Danny and Lindsay being married is more than enough - Flack and Angell works for now, but whether it's a good idea longterm remains to be seen. The rest of them should branch out from the crime lab (Stella's firefighter boyfriend was on the right track, although he was kind of dull).

If they can branch out and just give us juicy hints with maybe a good scene here and there, I think everybody can get some lovin'. Especially Hawkes. ;)

2. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

I think we can have a great relationship developed on screen without the cheese part.
    What made DL a fiasco was the pretend-to-believe-they-have-a-relationship. When it was clear from the beginning neither they had

1) Chemistry

Nor

2) Scenes together that justify their stupid behaviours (from BOTH characters) and that justifies the fact it was mentioned dozen of times "Oh DL they are sooooo in luvvvv" in spoilers

what made F/A different it was the fact they set the basis on F/A relationship. We could watch certain development and they do have chemistry (at least i do feel it)

Also i think it would be WONDERFUL to watch a mature relationship between Mac and Stella. Not only because i am a die hard Smacked fan ;) so i would be in Heaven but because their relationship was set years ago.
    It doesn't matter how many women and men producers bring to pair them up with. The point is would be totally unrealistic because the kind of closeness they have is beyond simple friendship. It was built with patience and respect from both of them and yes, they could know other good people but nobody else in the world would understand what they have lived together as colleagues but mainly as friends.

besides i have wached them for years now. And their behaviour now is quite different than years before. Their relationship is different so i guess we are close to know a new level in their REAL relationship (a one with chemistry that can be appreciated by all people shipper or not) THEY DESERVE THAT!

Also i think it would be very interesting to know their relationship as a formal couple (i hope so it will happen in S6 or S7) because the fact they are a mature couple (which is NOT a synonim of old) but they are humans and it would be very interesting to watch them making mistakes and what kind of priorities they have as a couple. Besides they would want to make love too ! (they are NOT mummies!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

So i have my hopes on Mac and Stella!

Debbs

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I agree that it's not so much the quantity but the quality in this case. I was never a shipper or totally opposed to D/L but the way it was written was IMO a disaster. Are they together, are they not together...Too may gaps and holes. There were time were there were so many episodes with not a mention or acknowledgement as to what exactly they had that when it surfaced again it was difficult to know were they stood in their relationship. Then suddenly they are parents and get married. It was way too inconsistent for my taste.

I can't really talk about chemistry cause I believe that it's subjective so were I see it others may not and vice-versa. So I pretty much blame the writers inconsistency in this one.

As for the rest of the cast I believe there should be relationships cause they are humans just maybe not all of them in the same season.

4. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Faylinn, I think you are correct in that it is a slippery slope because in pairing two main characters the romance almost becomes a main storyline unless, like you said, it is done well. I'm a fan of the D/L story line but not because of the writing because I don't think this one was well executed by the writers at all. It's almost as if they checked to see which way the wind was blowing that particular day and wrote Danny and Lindsay accordingly. However, knowing that they had planned on sending both the characters in other directions helps me forgive the fact that the transition to Danny/Lindsay and baby makes three was abrupt and choppy.

Since that change in direction I have seen sweetness, tenderness, and genuine emotion from both of them, and I appreciate that. The scenes of them together have gotten much better, much more believable to me.

I can only hope that the romance and their life together will be woven into the fabric of the show, incorporated in a way that gives them balance and a base from which to develop, both together as a married couple and individually as professionals in a very high stress profession. I don't even mind the drama of the adjustment period of being married and having a child but I just need to see honesty and maturity from the characters...please.

5. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

i think although mac and stella might make agood couple this would end up being a dating show with d/l f/a and mac and stella i mean where would it end adam and hawkes? do they not know anyone outside of work? it would just be too much coupling in one workplace for me.

SO GET RID OF D/L AND BRING TOGETHER WHOEVER YOU WANT

6. Faylinn

Together? :devil:

*innocent whistle*

7. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

^ Bet you'd like that, wouldn't you? ;)

8. Faylinn

Me? Why, of course not. What would give you that idea? :devil:

9. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

LOL

;)
    I like that pairing... they'd be good for each other.
    I can imagine Sheldon being comforting, maybe if Adam's past comes into play in a future episode (*prays*)... that would be so adorable and... *squeal*

10. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

It's because I've known you for three years, and you've been a perv for two and a half of them. :p

11. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^What, only two and a half of them? :devil:

But I bet Fay wouldn't mind an Adam/Hawkes pairing. ;) :devil:

12. Faylinn

You're right, I'd love it. *is so ashamed*

Ok, I lied, I'm not ashamed. :devil:

13. BombaySapphire

BombaySapphire Civilian

I wouldn't say too much ship on the show just too much Danny/Lindsay. The pairing makes no sense at all. Lindsay drags Danny down

14. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

DL is basically the only ship on CSI: NY... there's Flack/Angell, but... well... >.>

Yeah, if they paired off everybody...it would be so ridiculous. But who knows? TPTB might be stupid enough to do that. I hope not though... wouldn't want to get turned off the show. Where would I get my Buckley fix otherwise? ;)

15. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

I wouldn't mind it if they all had a partner, only outside the lab and not mentioned every other minute. The Stella/Frankie relationship worked perfectly well for me until he tried to kill her, that is. But until then, we knew he existed and he appeared here and there without Stella being all "Frankie this, Frankie that. By the way, did I tell you that Frankie...?"

F/A isn't bad either. What a waste of potential. And D/L is simply... *sigh* I wonder how (if?) they're gonna try and fix it.