"A Space Oddity" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Air Date: Thursday, April 16, 2009
    Time Slot: 9:00 PM-10:00 PM EST on CBS
    Episode Title: (#920) "A Space Oddity"

HODGES AND WENDY BECOME INVOLVED IN A MURDER INVESTIGATION AT A SCIENCE FICTION CONVENTION. - When Hodges and Wendy run into each other at a science fiction convention for one of their favorite classic television shows, they end up investigating the murder of one of their beloved actors. - When the "star" of Astro Quest Redux is found murdered at a science fiction convention, assorted freaks and geeks are obliged to boldly go under the scrutiny of the CSI team.

Trivia: Pre-production title name of Stoke on Duty

SERIES REGULARS:
    Dr. Raymond Langston: Laurence Fishburne
    Catherine Willows: Marg Helgenberger
    Nick Stokes: George Eads
    Captain Jim Brass: Paul Guilfoyle
    Greg Sanders: Eric Szmanda
    Dr. Robbins: Robert David Hall
    David Phillips: David Berman
    Hodges: Wallace Langham
    Wendy Simms: Liz Vassey
    Riley Adams: Lauren Lee Smith

RECURRING CAST:
    Archie Johnson: Archie Kao
    Henry Andrews: Jon Wellner
    Mandy Webster: Sheeri Rappaport

GUEST CAST:
    Dr. Penelope Russell: Kate Vernon
    Melinda Carver: Jaime Ray Newman
    Risa Varness: Liza Weil
    Steuben Lorenz: Michael Welch
    Lionel Rose: Patrick Bristow
    Jonathan Danson: Reg Rogers
    Commander Artemis Bishop: Josh Coxx
    Mrs. Rose: Judy Jean Berns
    Ronald D. Moore: Ronald D. Moore
    Yeoman Malloy: Michelle Belegrin
    William: Karl Herlinger
    Ensign Garth: Bradford Tatum
    Collectibles Dealer: Randy Lowell
    Yeoman Sally Malloy (1960): Christine Scott Bennett
    Gorth (1960): Matthew Willig

TELEPLAY BY: David Weddle & Bradley Thompson, formerly staff writers on "Battlestar Galactica"
    STORY BY: Naren Shankar
    DIRECTED BY: Michael Nankin

THANKS TO:
    The Futon Critic
    Tv.com

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Looking forward to this episode and am wondering what cameos will be seen.

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Archie, Wendy, Mandy and Henry? Yay! Just one lab rat missing: Bobby! Oh, Bobby, where have you gone, buddy? :lol:

This looks like a fun ep.

4. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

I believe there is a cameo by Ron Moore the executive producer of Battlestar Galactica. I don't know of any others though.

I'm looking forward to this episode a lot. It looks like it'll be nonstop laughter.

5. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Why was the original title Stokes on Duty..guess they had thought about it, but George's back problems were too much..

Mandy! Yipee..love Mandy!

6. dandylion

dandylion Hit and Run

I'm so excited to see Hodges and Wendy working together again. I've been a fan of both actors (and their CSI characters) for a while. I loved the tiny scene that they had in Mascara, so seeing them do so much more together will be fun. The clips look hysterical. :)

7. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I don't think Stokes on Duty was ever a real episode...IMO. Anyway, I also wish Bobby was in this episode I miss him. He was so good in You Kill me. I like these funny episodes as long as one person (Hodges) doesn't dominate. I look forward to it.

8. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I miss Bobby, too; I fear he may be gone for good.
    I'm not a trekkie, or a Wedges fan, but I like the lab rat episodes, so I am looking forward to this. Mandy has been my favorite since Sara left, and I've always liked Henry.

9. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Bobby seems to have disappeared like several Miami labrats have in the past. And like Sofia did... with no explanation. :(

10. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Well I am totally looking forward to this episode, but I do agree, it is a shame that Bobby isn't a part of it as well. He's the only labrat that is on the missing list, one of the originals, and he did so well in 'you kill me' last season.

I know many people dislike Hodges and that is to each their own, but in my opinion, this season, there was only a handful of episodes were he had multiple scenes, so I personally don't think that one episode geared around him and the labrats is to big of a deal. (not insinuating that people are making a deal about it.)

I also like the fact that once again a little labrat humor is tossed into the mix of what CSI is built on and known to be. Sure I can see why some have asked why didn't they do something like this when Greg was still in the lab, but back then, he did most of the lab work. He didn't have as many to play off of, unlike now. It's only been in the last 2-3 seasons that tptb decided to expand on the B characters that work the labs.

Anyway, I am excited for this episode, and though I'm not a huge trekkie fan, I am familiar enough with it to enjoy it.

11. violetsareblue

violetsareblue Dead on Arrival

DjRideout, that was an excellent explanation about why there weren't lab rat episodes back when Greg was in the lab: basically it would have been him talking to himself :) Not that that wouldn't have been fun to watch! As far as Hodges is concerned, I love watching him when he's with Wendy. She brings out a very human side of him. He trips over his words ("perfect...ly adequate") and reminds me of how I act when I'm around a crush. I also love that she seems to like him a lot too....even if she's not sure why.
    I'm really excited about this episode...and I'm ready to laugh.

12. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I somewhat dissagree, before Hodges came along Greg still had Jacqui or Mandy, Bobby, and Archie to play with. But anyway that's water under the bridge, CSI was a different animal back then. I enjoy the labrat episodes, even though I don't care for Hodges they are still very funny and enjoyable. I am old enough to remember watching the origonal Star Trek too.

13. electra

electra Pathologist

I watch every episode of CSI but I have to admit that an episode centered in Hodges and the lab rats doesn't interest me as much.I sort of like Wendy and Archie but not with Hodges.He is good at small doses making people uncomfortable.But maybe it will be interesting so I will give the episode the benefit of the doubt.

14. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

I'm looking forward to this episode, if only for a little lightheartedness. Guess that's what lab rats are good for :lol:.

I do wish Bobby would come back though, he and the rest of the gang do have good chemistry together.

15. wlk68

wlk68 Pathologist

I'm not a big Wedges fan but I really like the lab rat episodes. They have a quirkiness to them that I very much enjoy. And since I've attended many a sci-fi convention in my time, I am especially looking forward to this one.