Taking the Initiative (Snickers)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by dani_banani, Mar 3, 2006.

1. dani_banani

dani_banani Police Officer

Hi, everyone. This is my first attempt at writing a fanfic, so please don't kill me if it sucks, but I do like constructive criticism! Well, here is the first chapter, and I hope you like it!

Chapter 1

“So why don’t you just ask him to go to dinner with you already?” Nick teased, failing miserably at hiding a smile.

Sara blushed as she realized her co-worker had noticed her glancing a bit too long at the new lab tech from the day shift who was just getting off of shift while she was starting hers. “No, thanks, Nick…from my experience, I’d be better off keeping quiet. Ugh, I need my coffee,” Sara replied as she tried to end the discussion by walking towards the break room for a cup of coffee, but Nick wasn’t about to give up that easily as he followed her down the hall.

“From my experience, guys like it when a girl takes the initiative to get to know a guy better.”

“Yeah, you’d know, Nicky, wouldn’t you?” Sara said with a smirk.

Nick was about to question Sara more about what happened in her past that convinced her that a guy wouldn’t jump at the chance to even go to breakfast with his attractive colleague because, well, he certainly wouldn’t have minded as he had always had a bit of a soft spot for the brunette, but they had just reached the break room, and Grissom was already in there giving out the assignments.

“-And Catherine and Greg, you’re with me at the Bellagio. We’ve got a triple homicide in one of the penthouse suites.” Grissom looked up and saw the two CSIs enter. “Oh, Sara and Nick, you two have a DB out in Boulder City. Brass is already out there waiting for you guys. He said he’ll tell you more when you get there. Let’s go, it’s going to be a busy shift.”

“So much for that coffee, huh, Sara?” Nick said brightly as he headed out of the lab while Sara grabbed the assignment sheet and trailed after Nick, apprehensive of what Nick will ask her during the car drive.

“I’m driving!” Nick said when they reached the parking lot of the lab.

“Fine.” Sara sighed and she tossed the keys over to Nick as she climbed into the lab-issued Denali.

As they were driving down the highway, Nick turned his head to Sara and asked, “So tell me again why you won’t make the first move with a guy?”

“No, Nick…I let you drive, so don’t bother me about that.”

“Please?” Nick whined, making doggy eyes at her.

“Okay, okay” Sara chuckled and gave in. “Just keep your eyes on the road, so you don’t kill us before I can tell you. Well, you know about Hank and how he cheated on me…not the best of my relationships.”

“Oh, right…I guess flirting over a DB isn’t as promising as I thought it’d be,” Nick grinned, which earned him a punch in the arm. “Ow! Sorry, sorry…go on.”

“And I’m sure most of you know about, um, Grissom,” Sara hesitated, as she had never talked to anyone else about her feelings for her boss. “Every time I asked him to go out or do something about…us…he’d refuse to, making some excuse or saying he didn’t know what to do. He seemed so scared to give us a chance, but I don’t even know what he was so afraid of. I mean, I’m the one who asked him…all he would have to do is say yes. Remember when you told me I should go out more? Well, I called him that night asking if he wanted to go out and do you know what he said? He said he was at Catherine’s, helping Lindsey with a school project! Can you blame me for never wanting to ask a guy to go out ever again?”

Nick, not prepared for this sudden outburst of Sara’s feelings for Grissom and slightly disheartened that she had called Grissom instead of him after suggesting that she get out more, could only utter, “Sorry, Sara, I didn’t mean to bring up these feelin-”

“And you know what else? I should have taken the hint from that incident in high school that I would never have a chance with men,” Sara interrupted with a hint of bitterness.

“High school? What happened in high school?”

“Senior year prom. I was friends with this guy and well, I guess I sort of liked him too, and prom was coming up so I asked him if he wanted to go with me. He said, ‘Uh, I don’t know if I want to go…’ even though I heard that he wanted to before!”

“What a jerk. So did you just not go to your prom?”

“No, I went with my best friend-”

“Oh, that’s good, see, at least-“

“-who’s a girl.”

“…Oh.”

There was a pause in the conversation until Sara exploded, “Is there something wrong with me, Nick? Do I just not seem fun? Am I that repulsive??”

“Whoa, Sara, trust me…you are not repulsive. And you’re definitely fun to talk to, as long as you’re not too absorbed in a case. Maybe you just have to…ask the right guys.”

“Oh, right, that’s easy, Nick…like who?”

Nick saw an opportunity to spend time with Sara and smiling, he said, “Well, how about me?”

-----------------
    (About the prom thing, that actually happened...not going to say to whom...hehe ;) and I couldn't resist putting it in there. Sorry if it veered a bit away from Sara's general backstory!)

2. SinCityx

SinCityx Pathologist

Ohh I liked it ver very much, next chapter please :]

3. Dreamsingr

Dreamsingr Lab Technician

Ooo so cute, update soon!!

4. cofi_shot

cofi_shot Captain

Oh you made Sara call Grissom on that night. I hope it was on another night lol. Anyways, I'm glad that you managed to put grillows in there too. :)

All in all, I love it! I like how easy their conversations go, that is so them. Update soon please! :D

5. Warsteiner

Warsteiner Hit and Run

I like it!Next chapter please!!

6. heartagram69

heartagram69 Head of the Swing Shift

i want more!

7. melbel

melbel Pathologist

it's good but we need to have more

8. CSI3Snickers

CSI3Snickers Pathologist

Great start!!! Please update soon!!!

9. Cordelia_GRS_Fan

Cordelia_GRS_Fan CSI Level Two

This is so great! I'm a GSR but I like my Snickers too lol!
    Loved the little high school thing - poor Sara. N I just love Nick!! lol

~Sar~

10. Guest

Guest Guest

next please... :)

11. Shady Lane

Shady Lane CSI Level Two

very cute, keep up the great writing!

12. dani_banani

dani_banani Police Officer

Thanks for all the comments, guys! I'm so glad you like how it's starting out. cofi_shot, so happy you caught the grillows in there...there might be more to come! and Cordelia_GRS_Fan, I'm glad you're open to reading Snickers fics even though you're mainly a GSR shipper :D
    ----------------------

Chapter 2

Sara, not expecting that particular answer, could only stare back at Nick with an open mouth. Thankfully, she saw Brass waving his arms while their car drove right past him.

“Um, Nick, uh…we just drove past the crime scene.”

Embarrassed, Nick turned the car back around and as soon as he stopped the car, Sara jumped out. Disappointed at Sara’s reaction, it didn’t help that Brass scolded him for not paying attention on the road.

---------------------------------------------------------

After they had finished processing the scene, the two CSIs returned back to the lab, the car ride back being an awkwardly silent one. Nick was cautious about the way Sara kept avoiding eye contact with him and stubbornly staring out her window and decided that it was better to keep his mouth shut for now.

Sara knew that Nick was probably joking when he suggested that she ask him out on a date, but the way he was now acting in the car and the fact that her heart had skipped a beat when he said that were not what she expected to experience when she left to go to work that night. The comment Nick made had involuntarily made her consider her relationship with her co-worker of six years and the feelings she had for him. Were they really just platonic feelings? Or were there undercurrents of attraction that she was not aware of, hidden behind the playful flirtations she would occasionally exchange with the man next to her? And was she the only one who was going crazy at the moment, trying to figure out what her heart really wanted??

“I am going crazy…over a woman that I had, up until today, only considered as a colleague, a friend,” thought Nick as his frustrations with himself caused him to grip the steering wheel tightly. “And now, I am saying the wrong things at the wrong time, I can’t find anything to say at all, right or wrong, to break the tension in this car…what is wrong with me? What happened to the smooth, suave me? Did he happen to take a break and decide to let me fend for myself once I realized I might have more than friendly feelings towards Sara? Heck, I even drove past a crime scene because of this woman! Oh crap, I almost just missed my turn again!” Nick swerved the car, driving slightly up onto the curb as he turned into the lab’s parking lot, obviously a bit perturbed at the effect Sara was having on his ability to even pay attention while he was driving.

“Whoa, Nick, you okay?”

“Yeah, fine. Just, uh…tired,” Nick said, glad that she had at least said something to him during the ride back.

Back in the lab, however, Sara promptly avoided him again, heading straight to DNA with the blood evidence she had found at the crime scene. Sighing, Nick proceeded to run some prints through AFIS.

------------------------------------------------

Sara ran to the evidence room to see if her hunch about the case was correct and just as she opened the door, she came face to face with the very man she was trying to avoid.

“Whoa, what’s the rush, Sara? Missed me that much?” a surprised Nick said as he held out his arms to stop Sara from tripping over him.

“Uh, sorry to disappoint you Nick, but um, I just wanted to come in here to check with knife we found at the scene. If I’m right about this, I think we just bagged this case,” Sara said excitedly but soon felt a bit awkward as she realized Nick still had his hands on her arms from when she entered.

Nick, noticing the awkwardness, looked down from her face to his hands and realized the source of the sudden discomfort felt in the room. Embarrassed, yet again as it seems he has been feeling that a lot lately when he was around Sara, he stuffed his hands into his pockets and walked back to the table. Clearing his throat, Nick said, “Well, uh, you’re always right though, aren’t you? So I guess no double shift for us!”

Sara smiled slightly at the compliment, and after reexamining the evidence on the table, she confirmed that they indeed would not have to pull a double.

Sara was about to head out the door when Nick stopped her. “Hey, Sara…I, uh, just want you to know that what I said in the car, about me…and you asking me…and well, you know…I was just joking around. I don’t want you to feel weird or anything. I mean we’re friends, right?”

“Yeah, yeah, I know…I was just thinking about the case, that’s all. You know how I get when it comes to a hot case.”

“Yeah, it’s like love at first sight…you can’t get your mind off of it.”

Sara laughed, “Great analogy, Nicky. I sure do get turned on by blood spatter on the walls!”

“What, it doesn’t??” Nick feigned shock. Cocking an eyebrow, he asked, “So what does turn Sara Sidle on?”

“Ha ha, shut up, Nick before I punch you again and give you the cold shoulder.”

“Right, and we don’t want that, now do we?” Slinging his arm around her shoulder and leading her to the locker room to gather their things, Nick asked, “So why don’t we celebrate the shortest case ever with breakfast? I’ll even treat you since you solved the case.”

Sara, feeling her heart flutter with the unexpected contact Nick made but shaking off the feeling, nodded with a smile. “For once, I’m not too tired to enjoy a meal after a case.”

Suddenly, Nick stopped and turned to her, and in a mockingly serious tone, he said, “Oh, and just so you know, I am only asking you, as a friend,” putting heavy emphasis on the last three words.

Giggling, Sara replied, “Shut it, Stokes, I know…now, do you want breakfast or not?”

13. cocoa_girl18

cocoa_girl18 Pathologist

love the first and second chappie nice really. i hope that in the next chappie will have the guts to asked sara out for real. mwaah

14. heartagram69

heartagram69 Head of the Swing Shift

read and reviewed, liking it alot :D

15. cofi_shot

cofi_shot Captain

Loved it! Nick and Sara need to do it already lol.

Update soon please! :)