Grade 'Prey'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 8, 2009.

?

How would you grade Prey?

1. A+

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. A

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. A-

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. B+

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. B

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

New CSI: NY episode tonight! Watch and let us know what you thought. :cool:

2. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Well the case didn't blow my socks off, but for the most part I'm still pretty keen on tonight's episode --I'll over look some suspended belief and minor plot holes because of someones ability to maintain a little continuity, and make use of some under-used characters.

First thing I'll address, since it's pretty much the first thing we see, is the Flack and Angell scene that will undoubtedly cause a stir tonight. And it ought to I suppose. They're hot. The scene is hot. The coffee is hot. There's a lot of heat being thrown around here. They have chemistry, it's pretty unmistakable when every word Flack utters is guaranteed to make your stomach flutter, but if Eddie doesn't do it for you (check your pulse) Emmanuelle might, hanging around in what looks like Don's shirt and little else.

They seem to really have fun together which is great, but it's fitting of TPTB that they've left this relationship full of gaps and timeline holes and not necessarily the good leave-my-imagination running kind. It's another situation where I rather wish they'd let the relationship mature bit by bit, in snippets since we first saw them flirting in a cruiser ages ago rather then hurrying to fit all this in before our season ends....

and before Jess ends.

but I won't make too many complaints, since as far as canon relationships go Flack and Angell certainly aren't the worst thing on the screen.

The biggest selling point tonight for me is seeing Flack and Hawkes take the spot light in several, yes, several scenes. Fantastic!

Throughout the episode we learn a touch more about Hawkes ex, a victim of rape, and his unresolved issues with her sufferage and his helplessness. It's great that they've given Hawkes something to take personally now and then, and what's more is Hill has the acting chops to broach the scenes with just the right amount of empathy for the victims and their loved ones. Bonus when he shares a scene with Flack where his personal connection to the victim of a stalker comes to light. It's another nice scene for both of them to develop a personal/professional relationship.

However superficial, the scene left me with one question: When Hawkes mentions someone being a pack-rat and Don comments "You think that's bad? Have you ever seen Adam's place?"

Why Mr. Flack! Pray tell, what ever brought you to Adam's place? :D
    Unfortunately, Adam seems to be the only one who didn't get enough play this episode.

On the subject of Flack, not only do we get an under garment igniting scene at the beginning, but he goes on to later make mention of Sam! It's another great scene for victim empathy --which seems to be a running theme in this episode.

In terms of the case though, I felt the connection to Stella was a little weak. Speaking of weak, I'm finding it hard to believe that Stella would recall the voice of a single speaker amongst a room full of students asking questions at her lecture. I can barely distinguish between my family members tones when they ring me. Sound is not nearly as well connected to memory as senses like smell or sight, so Stella has super hearing and memory I guess. :rolleyes:

We did actually make it an entire epsiode here without mentioning the baby or the incubator, I didn't really notice until about 45 minutes in when I was bracing for that expected impact, but it was a much deserved break. :D

The only thing that's worrying me now is that in the one episode where we take a break from baby and mama drama Danny is very much down played. Not that I mind the occasional episode without as much Messer, but it's concerning that they seem to have nothing for him when they're not harping on about this damn baby. Honestly, I'm going to throw a fit if they reduce him to only being capable of talking about the child and his egg donor. :scream: What happened to that rich and interesting character I fell in love with?! Hopefully I'm reading too much into this. After all we did get that great little scene at the beginning with Stella. His reaction to the rejection hotline was priceless -- that smarmy little laugh. :D I hope he realizes he could put that service to good use himself.

And lastly on the case --is it just me or are there a lot of small time musicians being stalked on this show-- oh well. Odessa, or Dayna, or whatever you'd like to call her, in all her brilliance, while staging her crime scene and covering her tracks, didn't stop to think that if she WAS found out she could probably just cry self defense? I mean all those letters and notes getting increasingly aggressive would likely have been more than enough for a good attorney to show a jury this girl's life was in danger. Even so, the final scene where Mac and more so, Sheldon coached her I thought was one of the most interesting things we've seen in a while. And frankly as much as he's been known to skirt the rules when he needs to, I was a little surprised that Mac let Sheldon go so far. It's such an interesting glimpse into the choices they deal with in their work that I was sad to see the show end there! That's the kind of thing that I certainly hope they don't just close the book on! There's a lot of potential in here for Mac and Sheldon to come under fire, especially when they see this girls case through to trial.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. Half

Half CSI Level Two

~Oh look, a suicide.
    ~HEE! Awesome. And hot. I didn't watch this scene until the episode just for the sake of it, and I have to say that it is very, very enjoyable. And the handcuffs... :guffaw:
    ~Oh, so you're standing where you should be looking for footprints? Haven't you talked to Grissom?
    ~Look at Flack with the history references.
    ~Adam, your babbling is hysterical.
    ~Yak hair? Tell me, are we going for a weird-things-on-bodies record this season?
    ~Is this going to end up as some cold-blooded pun?
    ~Oh, that's an awesome number.
    ~This sport seems like it wouldn't work correctly. At least they're wearing helmets. Oh my god I'm my grandmother. :lol:
    ~Wouldn't dry ice have caused a burn? There we go.
    ~Oh Stella. That's never a good thing, hon.
    ~Wow, that's a blast from the past. It's actually kind of awesome. But I... don't think that meteor dust case was an episode. Am I nuts?
    ~"Dry ice" "The thing that makes the white smokey stuff" Hee.
    ~Teacher Stella. Made of win.
    ~roximonoxide made a good point. Why were you at Adam's, Flack? :shifty: XD
    ~Hawkes, I don't think you're supposed to be excited about finding out that he was a stalker.
    ~Aw, Hawkes.
    ~I feel really bad for that brother. Watching your sister jump off a building is just... shudder-inducing.
    ~Aw, Flack. There's a lot of "Aw"ing in this episode.
    ~PSA: Don’t take voice lessons!
    ~Restraining orders really are useless, aren’t they?
    ~Am I the only one that thinks that stalking should be illegal? Seriously.
    ~Stella recognizes the voice, doesn’t she? Up, yeah.
    ~I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself, Stella. Just from watching this show I could probably kill someone. :rolleyes:
    ~It’s a little late to be thinking of this, but does that triangulation thing really work? Doesn’t it depend on whether people are walking in accordance with probability? Was that entire sentence nonsense?
    ~Very observant, manager-guy.
    ~How convenient, a singing gig. It can’t be because the woman is played by a singer, can it? /sarcasm
    ~She’s actually not bad.
    ~I can’t tell if Mac’s annoyed with Hawkes or not.

I say A-. I don't even really know why, just my first thought.

NEXT WEEK: No new episode again? OT: Hilary Duff? On Ghost Whisperer? Whatever.

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

ETA: Tciddaisc, the meteorite dust was in "City of the Dolls", in the case Stella and Hawkes worked.

Typed as I watch (aside from the first few minutes, which were filled with drama at my house):

~ Flack and Angell - very hot. I'll take them both, please. :devil:

~ ADAM! :D

~ Poor baby - honestly, I'm getting kind of annoyed at the whole 'Adam says something and then has to backtrack because Mac gives him a look' thing. It's funny, but how many times are they going to do it?

~ Sheldon is so damn pretty - I'm sorry, I know it's shallow, but I want to have all of his bespectacled little babies.

~ Stella's 'the connection is me' moment reminded me unpleasantly of when Mac figured out everything was All About Him with the puzzles and crap during the 333 story.

~ Flashback to season 2? Color me shocked. (I've been known to watch "Not What it Looks Like" just for the B-case. ;))

~ Arsehole - Mac and Angell told you, foo'. *smack*

~ How does Flack know what Adam's place looks like? Oh boys, don't give me more ammo to slash you - I do well enough on my own. :devil:

~ Why is Sheldon poking around without gloves?

~ Aww, Hawkes. *hug*

~ I was wondering how that suicide at the beginning would tie in. At first, I thought the victim was the guy who walked in right before the woman jumped off the roof. The real explanation makes much more sense.

~ Aww, Flack. *hug* You and Hawkes just need to have a nice, long manhug to make yourselves feel better.

~ ...Everything but the chowder?...:wtf:

~ 'And I taught her how.' No, shooting someone doesn't require taking a class. That's how she killed him. She tried to cover it up using stuff you said, but that obviously didn't work. No offense, but I think Stella is giving herself too much credit for this murder. The girl killed the guy for stalking her because the law didn't do enough to help her. People have to be held accountable for their own actions.

~ Sheldon has eyes like a hawk. :lol: 'I saw that neon martini glass in that flyer down there around my knees in a picture I saw in the victim's apartment.' :p

~ Gratuitous musical number.

~ Maybe she shouldn't have left such odd evidence and it wouldn't have been so obviously faked. :rolleyes:

~ Hmm, Sheldon - shades of grey, I suppose. I'd be interested to know Mac's opinion on that...

Overall, the episode was kind of...uneventful. Katharine did much better than some of the other stunt casting we've gotten in the past, but the singing scene just hammered home that it was stunt casting. We already had a singing stunt-casting episode this season ("Help", conveniently enough, which was referenced in this one with the Kara stuff).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  5. Bunchie

Bunchie Dead on Arrival

I gave the epi a C+..i thought it was kinda dry and not that interesting..I did however enjoy sheldon and the effects of his ex girlfriend's rape on him..overall the epi could have been better

6. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

I loved this episode! The opening was so good/delicious... as all things Flack are. And therefore, the Flack/Hawkes scenes were perfect. In fact, all the Hawkes scenes were great- and a long time coming. I love seeing that side of him. The ending- loved it.
    I did however, find the whole Stella teaching/remembering every detail of her lecture/Odessa's voice thing a tiny bit far fetched, but what is this show but a little out there?
    I think I'd say an A-.

7. texmex327

texmex327 Pathologist

YAY New episode tonight :thumbsup: (I almost missed it tonight, I guess I could have and still been ok)

~Flack & Angell...well that is all kinds of hot. But if that was me I would have used both sets of handcuffs :devil:

~Stella, can I take your class too?

~Danny didn't mention the baby :eek: Is Mac keeping him in the lab purposely?

~Mac & Angell working together, I like it.

~Flack & Sheldon. They've bonded. Flack feels bad for Sheldon, I think he needs a hug (extends arms to Sheldon)

~Adam is so cute when he babbles....:lol:

~So Flack, when did you go to Adam's?

~Hawkes sympathizes with the victim. Poor, poor Hawkes. I don't think Mac was too happy about it. Maybe it was just me interpreting his look.

~Mac knows Stella so well...they even finish each others sentences...:)

All in all, not bad. I was expecting a little more. I figured Katherine McPhee as the killer in the first 5 seconds.

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I wondered that exact same thing.

On another note: Loved Flack's tie! And I usually hate his ties. :lol:

I thought the same exact thing. I just went "oh yeah right!" :lol: Wasn't it also just a one day class? How is she able to remember the voice of one person out of all them? Weird.

Loved this exchange:

Guy: Who kills someone in a theater?
    Flack: You ever heard of a guy named John Wilkes Booth? :guffaw:

I knew that was coming. I was just waiting for someone to mention the Abe Lincoln connection. :lol:

Rejection hotline. ROTFLMAO! What will they think of next? I wonder if there's actually a real rejection hotline. :lol: That was kind of funny.

I wondered why the girl didn't just have the gun, trick the guy into "attacking" her and then shoot him and claim self-defense.

Loved Hawkes telling her at the end that without a formal confession it would be hard to convict her given that there was only circumstantial evidence.

And of course I loved the Flack/Angell scene. "Don't make me cuff your other hand." :lol:

Adam was so cute trying to finish his sentence and then Mac walked away and he was just standing there. :lol:

It should definitely be illegal.

That bugged me too.

Katharine did a pretty good job. That song sounded pretty good too.

Loved the mention of Kara.

9. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

I thought this episode was good. It was just interesting enough to keep me entertained. And it did a pretty good job of making me feel bad for the murderer and not necessarily the victim.

The part with Stella was slightly lame, but the continuity made me giggly giddy. I was so proud of them for remembering something that happened years ago! Way to bring it back!

I liked the character development we got here with both Flack and Hawkes. They're just so amazing and all I wanted to do was snuggle Hawkes. And I'm also very, very curious how Flack knows what the inside of Adam's apartment looks like (especially since, you know, up until this season, they hadn't had any actual lines together, just minor glimpses).

A-.

10. texmex327

texmex327 Pathologist

OMG! I can't believe I forgot about that. I think I fell off the couch laughing so hard. I have the actual number, a friend of mine gave it to me to give to the losers we would meet at the bar. I wonder if its still on my cell phone :lol:

11. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

If anyone is interested --> http://www.rejectionhotline.com/

12. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

The rejection line thing was funny.

I thought stalking was a crime now. Or does it vary by state whether they have to actually do something or not?

LOL at the mention of Adam's place

Yay for the Providence connection. Waaah why didn't Stella go instead of Flack? (it would have been funny if she'd have gotten permission to do a double part and Syd show up. But cheesy no doubt.)

Chelsea, isn't that Reed's school? Hey writers, you missed an opportunity there.

Win for remembering the previous eps...we need more visits from the continuity fairy.

13. GTuruturu

GTuruturu Witness

oh i liked this ep, it didn't have me guessing the who done it but the how they gonna find her....it was a little different, and hill's and eddie's acting really did the episode a world of good...i actually felt for the dana/odessa, and it's all because of them...

..loved the continuity when it comes to sam and kara...i still don't feel complete closure over the kara story line so i hope they mention her again...and again if necessary.

fay: i'm with you on the mac look at adam...just once i'd like to see adam not take it and just keep talking or a "I'm not finished." something that shows he's got some meatballs...at least when it comes to mac.

and danny's in the lab: well he ran around without a vest, then blew there cover...yea i'd confine him to a lab too. =)

14. CSINYAddict

CSINYAddict Rookie

I graded this episode a B because for some reason I was not satisfied with the ending. I guess it is because I wanted to know Mac's opinion to what happened at the end of the episode. Katharine was decent, better than some guest appearances in the past by others.

My favourite line had to be referring to Adam's place. I definitely had a good laugh out of that one!

15. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

Pretty sure Chelsea is the ONLY school in NY... (on the show anyway...) :lol: I dont recall any other university's being mentioned... that school sure has a lot of connections to crime scenes... haha