CSI: NY Season 5 Spoiler Discussion--Drama in Alphabet City!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Half

Half CSI Level Two

1) I know, it just says "sparks". I guess that, at this point, none of us believe that TPTB are very subtle when it comes to spoilers.
    2) The main cast is Mac, Stella, Danny, Lindsay, Hawkes, Flack, Sid, and Adam. Angell is recurring. Out of those nine people, four of them are currently in a relationship of some kind. Two are married. And now two "realized the spark". :rolleyes: That is a lot for that small of a team. I wouldn't necessarily call it "soapish", but I don't really think it fits the show.
    3) That's what they said about Danny/Lindsay. Do we really want Mac and Stella to end up like them? Face it, no matter how much I like Flack/Angell, TPTB sucks at relationships. I have no faith in TPTB to do this at all right.

The reason I don't like it is because I just do not see them as a couple. I know that this is a different opinion than some other's have, and maybe I don't have any concrete reasons, but that's just how I feel. Like I said, maybe I'll change my opinions if they do get together, but until that happens I'm firm in my belief that this just isn't a good idea.

As for Adam and Hawkes, I'm fine with them being in relationships, just not with someone in the lab.

Welcome to CSI: Fan Fiction. We have cookies.

2. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

I agree to a piont. I love Danny and Lindsay, but This season has been about the members of the team not really the crimes. I think its good to have that romance in a show, but with D/L and F/A even though Angell is going to die,but still adding anymore romance to the show is going to get old fast.

3. idwithheld

idwithheld Victim

I think the writers wanted to explore a different approach to the normal CSI show. They wanted to explore the personal and emotional aspects of the characters in a deeper level. The effects on each and everyone of them and how they change through time.

The relationships formed could be either a bad or good move but it's yet to be known cause it really depends on how well the writers balance it all and whether they can entangle these relationships with the storyline added with the help of evolving characters.

Soap Opera wise, I think it is slightly but it is also a reflection off society. When people work together long enough some sort of bonds form and sometimes it develops into something more. If life's not a soap opera in one way or another, then I'd say it's a pretty boring one. Of course I understand it might sound ridiculous to pair them all up, but with the right approach from the writers, directors and most of all editors, it could work.

In my opinion, I wouldn't dwell too much on the word pairing, I see them as different perspectives from the relationship they are in and how that affect their jobs. I hope that's how they are going to approach it.

I think the Stella and Mac relationship is just great the way it is, but I am slightly intrigued with the idea how the passage of relisation turns out (hopefully in season6). I want that to be enjoyable and unlike how Danny and Lindsay sort of went- even though it suited the way their characters are.

I think it's mostly up to the writers to do their jobs and the rest to go accordingly.

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

IMO, it is mostly a matter of how and when but how much also plays into it as well. Everyone on the blasted team hooking up with each other is overkill IMO. And no, it's not EVERYONE, but Danny/Lindsay, Flack/Angell and Mac/Stella leaves only Adam and Hawkes. Sid is married to someone we haven't seen, which is fine IMO. To me that's too much romance between too few characters on what is supposed to be a procedural, crime drama. And for the record I'm not only against Mac/Stella. I've hated Danny/Lindsay almost since day one and even though I like Flack and Angell together I would have preferred it if TPTB had kept them to flirting.

I'm not "resorting" to anything. I can only go from my own experience and in the places I've worked and my friends and family have worked have all had a low incidence of co-workers being in romantic relationships. That is going to have an impact on my opinion just like your experiences are going to have an impact on yours. Personally, the main reason I don't want them together is because I love their chemistry and dynamic the way it is. Putting them in a romantic relationship will change that and IMO it won't be for the better. Also, it's a cliche. Pair up the main characters. It'd be nice to see a show that didn't make it look like men and women can't be co-workers and close friends without it turning romantic.

5. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

Wow, they really are going full speed ahead with the Flack/Angell relationship, but unfortunately I guess we know the reason why....:( I still wonder why they would want to demolish this particular pairing -- it seems like just the type of romance they would need to appeal to the prime target demographic. But there must be more to the story than we know at this point. Too, too bad....:(

Re: the Mac/Stella stuff.... Based on the early seasons, I thought they were laying groundwork to eventually pair Stella up with Mac or Flack, so can't say I'm too surprised if the sparks turn out to be the non-platonic kind. It does seem a bit early in the series, but I suspect the timing may be driven somewhat by what has happened and apparently will happen with D/L and F/A, respectively, this season.

I doubt they would be toying with the idea of pairing Mac/Stella up right now if Flack/Angell were still on the horizon going forward. But once that pairing is gone, they will be left with only D/L as the "signature" romantic pairing on the show, and that could be a problem in future. They have blown through about two (or maybe even three) seasons of potential D/L development by skipping most of the courtship and putting the marriage and baby into a single season, and gotta wonder what they can really do with it from a dramatic standpoint going forward. I'm sure they will continue to get some drama by exploring the pitfalls of new marriage and parenthood, but as mentioned before, I can't really see D/L being the prominent romantic pairing taking the show into its twilight years.

Anyhow, having said all that, I don't really expect them to make Mac and Stella a couple this season. In 5.24, there might be some acknowledgement of attraction and/or deeper feelings, but I wouldn't be suprised if Mac and Stella just agree they can't act on any such feelings while they are working together. That would allow the writers to drag out the UST/URT indefinitely until such time that they figure out what they really want to do. I don't expect anything to really change in their dynamic either -- other than they may be allowed to be a bit more flirty than in the past couple of seasons, which basically takes them back to their season one dynamic as I saw it. Just speculation on my part, we'll see how it unfolds.

And yes, I also think three couples out of 8-10 people on a team seems a bit much, but if Flack/Angell goes away, it would only be two -- one true couple and another potential one. That's not entirely unrealistic to me based on my personal experience. When single, unattached, attractive people who are very dedicated to their jobs spend a lot of time together, it's not that unrealistic to think that deep feelings and/or relationships could develop. To me, the question is whether those relationships will last.

As for Stella and her biological parents, I agree that a lot will depend on what type of backstory and rationale they give for her having ended up in an American orphanage if her parental roots are in Greece. I'm a bit unsure about how this may play out but will try to keep an open mind until I see it for myself.

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

They're not going to get the two leads on the show together. I agree with Curiosity that maybe what happens in Greece will bring Mac and Stella closer together, but I suspect this is just more spin to hype people up for the episode.

Right now, there's only one romance between leads on the show. Angell is a recurring character and I don't count her and Flack in that regard. The problem is that Danny and Lindsay have been joined together so permanently that unless one of the characters exits in a body bag, I suspect they're just going to be together for the duration of the show. That probably excludes another romance between two regular characters. Maybe not, but as others have said, if the show pairs up two other regular cast members--the two leads, no less!--the show risks venturing into overkill territory. Who knows, but I can't really see it going that way. Then again, I didn't think Danny and Lindsay would get married, so who knows. :p

7. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

Way back when I first started watching season one, I thought they(Stella & Mac) were headed toward a romantic relationship. (When Stella asked Mac in The Closer why he was still wearing his wedding ring, it struck me as a hint about as subtle as a hammer.)

But as I continued watching the show, I began to like the non-romantic relationship. I started to really enjoy the fact that a male and female can have such a strong emotional bond without the need to roll around in the sack(or on the pool table) or make out. Just a pure kind of love.

I liked Flack and Angell, and my feelings for D/L have already been made quite clear in other threads. I really don't think it would be overkill to have Mac and Stella get together romantically, but it would be disapointing that such a deep friendship cannot exist without it becoming romantic.(And keep in mind I say this as a fanfic author who has written slashy stories.)

8. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

I do think that the fact that Csi Ny does get into the personal lives of the characters is just one of the things that make Csi Ny stand out.

I think idwithheld is right saying that if people do work together long enough bonds do form it could be a great friendship of something more. I think that if the writers write in stell and mac as a couple and write it well, then maby it can work.

Stella and Mac have a great relationship as friends and a co-workers I would hate to see it messed up!!!

I love Danny and Lindsay:) I just hope that next season they put them back on track casue this season they have moved really fast which I love. Im just hoping we start seeing a different side of their relationship besides all the good, because if all we see is the good people are right it will get boring.

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The problem with delving into the "personal lives" of the characters is that TPTB almost exclusively think character development involves a romantic interest. There are way more interesting things to explore about the characters than that.

10. CdfSjaI

CdfSjaI Prime Suspect

Rewatching all of the the first season. I really think the producers had an intent on developing a Mac and Stella romantic relationship. They were subtle (or trying to be), but I could see it. However, from the second season on there was only this amazing friendship. And I like it that way. I just don't see how them hooking up right now would help anything. They might do it to appease us bc of what is going to happen in the finale. But I wouldn't want their romance to start out like that. Maybe further in the show...much further. I like their relationship right now. Two good friends who really trust each other and are there for each other no matter what. And are good CSI's....

11. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

Exactly! Their pasts, I think, would be more interesting to see on-screen than a romantic relationship. Or deep friendships. (They need to show more deep friendships of Adam and Sheldon... :( ). Or family relationships (like Sam and Flack).

12. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

13. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Since when can two good,best friends not become a couple? Nobody said we have to watch the tumble in the hay routine and as far as I am concerned there maturity level would make it unnessesary. The minute I started watching csiny which was only last summer it was because of the Mac and Stella relationship. I immediatly went out and purchased all seasons to catch up. I could appreciate the quality acting and when you see a friendship like theres, it is not unbeliveable by any means. I say take that GREAT chemistry and run with it. From the beginning it seemed meant to be. They are seperate personalites that play well off of each other and at one point when I first saw youtube videos of them I thought they were indeed together. Besides its a good way to delve into the personal and professional. Lets face it can you really see Mac and Stella acting GAH-GAH?

14. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I think what Mac and Stella have is so much more than what they can portray with romance. What they have is a history that involves trust, friendship, hardship, loyalty, grief and honor. I would love to see the story of how they got there...what happened in the past to forge that closeness. I don't think that any on-screen romance could compare or compete with that story.

But there was a scene just a few episodes ago, I think it was Forbidden Fruit, where Mac went to Stella for advice and told her he just needed to hear it from her. The smile on her face when she turned and left was very interesting.

15. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

My vote is definitely for family/friendship 'personal' stories over romantic stuff - I think we can and should see the characters have full lives, which includes romantic relationships, but it does NOT always have to be someone within the very small group of core characters. They can date a colleague without dating someone else in the main credits - that lab is bigger than those few people.

They can date a recurring character (and I don't mean 'recurring' like Angell is recurring - she's a long-term recurring character who might be more minor than the other characters on the show, but she's been around for 20+ episodes over several years. She's a pretty major character, all things considered, and while that doesn't make two canon relationships among main characters, it does make two canon relationships among major characters - she's been the only secondary detective for three years, I'd say that's a more major character than the three-episode recurring people we seem to get recently) - anyway, they can date a recurring character that shows up in one scene every few episodes, or who is mentioned every once in a while and shown more rarely, be they a 'colleague' or someone who doesn't even work in the NYPD in any capacity.

Whether they intended Mac and Stella to have chemistry from season one is irrelevant to me personally - if they get together, they won't be the first couple, they'll be the third couple. Even with Angell dying, effectively taking one of the canon couples out of the equation, they'll still be third. And honestly, I'm going to doubt it until they prove me wrong. I've had my doubts - and continue to have my doubts - about Flack/Angell, and that's considering that I think they have chemistry and have even enjoyed most of the stuff we've seen with them. I know people love Mac/Stella and think they can, should and will get together - but I'm not one of those people, and I will remain skeptical until TPTB prove that I should feel otherwise.

The spoilers about 5.24 certainly don't say for sure that Mac and Stella will suddenly get together or even contemplate that direction, but I don't like the way it's being hinted. The show has a lot of problems that need to be fixed before TPTB even consider trying to put their two lead characters together. Many people obviously feel otherwise (as is their right), but that's my view on it. I like their friendship, and I think TV doesn't show the power of platonic love often enough.

Anyway, the reason I came into the spoiler thread was to post about this article I just came across - they're building a fake building in LA for NY, and it mentions these details:

Definitely sounds like the finale - and the "simulated bullet effects on body" makes me think this is the scene where Angell gets shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.