CSI: NY Season 5 Spoiler Discussion--Drama in Alphabet City!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

I'm not sure I saw anyone say CBS are unlikely to kill of the baby in this particular conversation...

Even so, I was just poking fun at how each time someone mentions the possibility of Lindsay losing the child some else has to recoil in horror with something akin to "omg you want a baby to die! You're the worst person evar" As if someone had actually meant some kind of harm towards Anna's real child, since in a weird ass little way her unborn is currently guest starring as the Messer child, and then we end up having conversations just like this one we're having now where someone has to clarify that of course no one meant the real child. What kind of person would say something like that?

I wasn't really talking about a problem on the show as I was pointing out this problem in the heads of a lot of fans.

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I think the problem is that if the show did kill off the baby it would be in extremely bad taste because of how it's linked to Anna's real life pregnancy. They went there, they blurred the lines--so to have the baby die would just seem wrong on that level.

Not that I want the baby to die--I'm actually looking forward to seeing Danny as a father. I also think that given what happened to Ruben, it would just be too much. Danny deserves some happiness, and while I don't think he'll find it with Lindsay, I do think that he will with his child.

3. x..City Girl..x

x..City Girl..x Victim

Maybe they're not killing Angell off. Well they are but maybe its some undercover thing like she had to die so she could shut down some huge case thing because none of the csi's have done that yet, it would make an interesting story line next season and that might also be why they have been so open to tell us she dies this early. I dunno.
    What i do know is i don't want her to die. :(

4. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I think the 'problem' (if it really is one) is that people are invested in the characters and the show. It's possible to see it as fantasy but to still be affected by it (if not, why bother watching?). Someone recoiling at the prospect of the baby dying if they're invested in the characters is natural imo. When Ruben died, there were a lot of people angry at the writers for killing a kid just to show some Danny angst. To me, Ruben was fair game because I didn't know him (and no, that's not to say any kid I don't know is fair game in RL :lol:), and I love Danny angst.

Agreed, which is why they won't do it.

Me too. I just hope they don't harp on about the whole 'no guy's going near my little girl' thing. I want to see Danny teaching her baseball and showing her how to look after herself rather than being all over protective. Not that we'll actually get to see any of that, although it does depend on how quickly they age her. :)

5. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

That's all I was ever suggesting. Nothing about anyone's right to emotional investment. This connection to a real pregnancy limits where they can go with this story because they'd be running the risk of doing something in such bad taste. That act of "line blurring" makes the subject a difficult one to broach not just on the part of the writers but while we're sitting here speculating as fans. Even just exploring the notion that the [fictitious] child could be lost brings on an incredible amount of backlash from all over; For the real child, for the fictitious child, for Anna, for Lindsay.

I was amused that we all have to walk on eggshells or else footnote everything we post just to clarify that we're mostly discussing the fictional Messer child, like PA just recently did. It feels kind of silly. :)

But no, I don't see CBS ever doing such a thing. In fact I'm not so sure they would even if there wasn't a real pregnancy running parallel to the plot.

I am interested to see how Danny handles it I guess. I mean as much as I can be. It's just the kind of thing that if it had to happen, I would have wished much further on down the road. Perhaps in some of the last few seasons of the show. I wish the characters could each be properly explored as individuals before they go hitching their wagons to someone else's. Giving a character a child isn't the kind of thing that can easily be undone, or ignored (at least without a lot of people raising a lot of poignant questions) so I hope they know they're in this for the long haul now.

ETA:
    Oh no! I hope they don't get all Ray Jr with it and have her suddenly be skipping years though the child is the only one who seems to have aged!:(

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I don't think they necessarily should kill off the baby. In fact, like Top said, I am interested to see Danny as a father. I just think that in a drama anything is fair game. Like JB said, they killed off a 10 year old boy as means to cause DL drama; so why couldn't they kill off little Annabelle to cause more drama for DL? I wasn't thinking in terms of it being in bad taste considering Anna is really pregnant. I was just thinking in terms of it being a drama and bringing angst to the party. I agree with Roxi that questioning why someone would want a baby that doesn't exist to bite it like they're a horrible person just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

As far as killing off Ruben, I wasn't mad that they killed him off. What really grated my cheese was that Ruben's death was used, in Faylinn's words as a "speedbump" for the DL relationship and now it's been completely forgotten and Danny is magically over it even though he's now expecting a daughter of his own.

7. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

It's interesting to me how things have changed on networks over the years. Even during the 90s killing a child character was frowned upon.

ETA: See the new spoilers? We know who's dying now. *hugs Flack* why can't he get any satisfaction? He gets a love interest and then...waaaaah.

8. PerfectAnomaly

Unfortunately, children die in real life. I don't see why it should be ignored or glossed over on television.

9. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Actually i am a fan of old tv series and movies (I can't get enough of them ;) ) and even in a show as naïve as "Little House in the prairie" children died...more than once. And babies were included. However it's not the type of "fictional" things i like

wow! 5.23 pics from Yahrzeit were already posted. Seem Mac is very affected!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  10. PerfectAnomaly

Good example, Ghawazee. "Little House" killed off more than one kid and even had Mary and Adam's baby die in a fire. Living on the Prairie was srs. business!

I'm excited to see where the Danny/neo-nazi guy thing goes and I'm also very interested to see how the flash drive case winds up. I hope it winds up better than some of their other story arcs like the 333 stalker and the cabbie killer. Those story lines ended with a wimper instead of a bang. Well, Reed almost getting killed was exciting, but the actual motives for the murders was kind of lame. And don't get me started on the "revelation" that Drew was the 333 stalker (*gasp*flail*) :rolleyes:

11. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

:lol: I had almost forgotten about the 333 thing. They made Drew so damn obvious.

I had also forgotten about the Danny/neo-nazi storyline. I'm also excited to see what happens there. I think it's odd though that they chose for him to have a run in with Danny because the only person that neo-nazi guy ever talked to was Flack.

I didn't think the cabbie killer storyline was so bad. And I must say the cabbie killer was quite attractive haha. But I agree, the motive was pretty lame/cliche.

It looks like this finale is going to be pretty action packed though. I'm hoping for "Snow Day" 2.0.

I'm wondering how big this said cliffhanger will be though because Melina said in her interview that it would be "the traditional CSI: NY cliffhanger." But they've never really done big cliffhangers. In season 1 they didn't have one but I suppose the Mac/Danny stuff could be considered a mild one. And then in season 2 they gave us a strong indication that Flack would be fine so no real cliffhanger there. Season 3 - no cliffhanger and season 4 was just laughable because no one can kill Super!Mac. :lol:

So if it is going to be "traditional" I thinking it might be more emotional than putting us on the edge of our seats. I'm hoping it might involve Flack and maybe they'll leave us hanging a bit about where he's at emotionally. I'm thinking of a scene like the one he and Danny had in "All in the Family" except Flack will be on the other side of it this time (and hopefully Danny will be filling Flack's role for once).

12. csiwendy07

csiwendy07 Dead on Arrival

It's not like it's a real baby or anything. Making Danny and Lindsay into parents has already made the show go down hill in my opinion.

13. csiwendy07

I absolutely agree with you :) :) Stella can be bad ass when she wants to be, but I guess we just never really see it lol. Like when she got attacked in that apartment (in "Help" I think) She just took the abuse and didn't really fight back, until she could draw her gun. I have a feeling that Angell would have really whooped that guys ass if that would have happened to her.
    I'm kinda ready to see Anna go as well... I think the baby story line was a really bad idea, and it might not be so bad if they just kinda took out both of em' :)
    I thought their partnership was promising too! and I wish the writers wouldn't have told us "they were thinking about making Emmanuelle a regular" if they were planning on killing her off the whole time!! Unless next season looks extremely promising, then I doubt i'll be such a huge fan anymore. Killing off Angell really takes the cake for me. :evil:

14. csiwendy07

I totally agree with you.

What I was thinking was make Lindsay get shot or something and lose it that way.

15. Sam-Maddy

Sam-Maddy Rookie

Me too! I really liked Angell. I'm a big fan of EV and she's what got me to tune into the show in the first place. I liked that she held her own and she didn't take crap from people. Like that prostitute that called her a b***h. Angell worked well with Stella in the Greek storyline and she had wonderful chemistry w/Flack. I was really looking forward to their relationship progressing. It was a ship that seemed to work. Of course, now we know why we got so many F/A moments in the last eppie. It's so people won't find it strange that Flack's so overcome with grief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.