Why do you hate Lindsay

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by celtess, Mar 31, 2009.

1. celtess

celtess Rookie

I know We have a topic for lindsay let go
    But why do you hate Lindsay
    It's because she love danny or she so different as aiden?
    What your position?

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I think this is kind of the same as the "Why Lindsay Must Go Thread".

3. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

The answers are there in the Why lindsay Must Go thread, but I'll answer your question.

Lindsay is not a unique individual of her own. She is nothing more than Danny's wife and the mother of his baby. If she were a reoccuring charater this would not be a problem, but she's part of the main cast, in the opening credits, even.

She doesn't seem to have any real personality either, and is a victim to the writers' whims, reflecting whatever personality is required for the story. While this occasionally happends with the other characters, it's most frequent with her.

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

The answers are definitely in the Why Lindsay Must Go thread, but seeing as there have been four of those threads, I can definitely see how someone wouldn't want to go through all of them.

Before I get to the Cliff Notes version, I will say that I think "hate" is too strong a word. Just because I (and others) dislike Lindsay and think she's a detriment to the show doesn't mean we hate her. She just doesn't work as a character for many of us.

I think she's poorly written and poorly portrayed. A few examples:

1. I first noticed Anna's inferior acting in "All Access," when I realized that every line and action coming from her felt very scripted. There was nothing natural to her actions at all--I was very aware that I was watching an actress playing a part, rather than a performer inhabiting a role, which is what every other actor on the show does. Other examples: her crying in "Silent Night" was cringe-worthy, her interrogation in "Super Men" laughable, her "I rock!" in "You Only Die Once" fake. Anna's just not a good actress; her range is very, very limited. She does okay with the lighter stuff, but give her anything meaty or deep and she flounders.

2. The character's personality changes with the wind. I actually liked the sassy country girl who asked Danny out and who put the moves on him in "Snow Day." I didn't like the whiner, the manipulator, the self-satisfied girl, the self-righteous girl, etc. There's little consistency to the character.

3. She doesn't really have a place on the show. While I'm guessing this might be because the writers figured out pretty quickly that Anna's range is limited, she hasn't had a single storyline that hasn't been linked to Danny since season three. She's dragged down Danny's storylines a bit, though I have to say the baby storyline is being told through his eyes alone, and that's kept it interesting.

All that being said, I no longer think she's the big drag on the show that she was in seasons two and three. She's really not there all that much--#3 keeps her from being a total drag on the show. I think the show doesn't need her character and would be better off without her, but it's not like she's had any major storylines to either highlight the unpleasantness of her character (well, save for her treatment of Danny in season four) or Anna's weaknesses as an actress.

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Yes, it's both of those reasons. There has been three plus threads of everyone saying, "I hate Lindsay because she replaced Aiden," and "I hate Lindsay because she's with Danny and I should be with Danny," over and over. We really never say anything beyond that. :rolleyes: :shifty:

6. GotGameFAn

GotGameFAn Hit and Run

I find her very annoying when she gets whiny over little things. Have you seen Like Water For Murder? She left the lab because it was "hard" to talk to Danny. I found that very immature for a CSI. Correct me if it wasn't Like Water For Murder, please. She made Danny her own puppet, too. Carmine is one hell of an actor, but she makes him look bad. I can't really explain it, but I hope that you get what I mean.

Her acting abilities are almost fake, no emotions at all. Like in Help, where she gave the flowers to the coach's wife. Her facial expression when she gave them could've been anything. I felt like she was oblivious to the fact that the woman just lost her husband.

7. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

where do i start lol she whiny,a bad actress gives nothing to the show has no chemisty or even feelings for her 'so called husband'. she gets special treatment from mac, she has no sense of humor. shes not even a good csi, shes terrible with victims and suspeccts especiall children i feel sorry for her future baby.
    i could go on but i dont have much time lol :lol:

and i hated it in season 2 when she pushed danny away because she was grieving and then whined at him in season 4 for doing the same thing. i mean hypocrite much

8. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

In a way I feel pity for Anna, but it is a matter of fact that she often looks out of place compared to the other characters. Sometimes she rather acts like a plain schoolgirl than like a smart detective.
    And though I thought it was nice of TPTB that they were nice to Anna and didn´t write her off when she told them she was pregnant, they exaggerated the story and created the Mama-Papa-baby-Messer-family :rolleyes:. I don´t want to blame Anna for getting pregnant :lol:, but without that the D/L-story might have taken either a different, not so much soap-opera course, or would have simply not continued, which wouldn´t have been a shame.
    I don´t hate Lindsay, but she just doesn´t contribute anything valuable to the show.

9. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

The storyline's a complete mess, and her acting isn't up to par with her character's storyline. If she's given a character with such a tragic past, then she should know how to at least cry properly. Her performance in Silent Night was one of the poorest I've ever seen on TV. If she had been taken out earlier, then it wouldn't have had much of an impact on the show, but unfortunately, since TPTB decided to continue on with the farce of a relationship, she is now forever tied to Danny.

Unfortunately.

But this should be in the Why Lindsay Must Go thread... >.>

10. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

"Hate" is probably a strong word, as Top said - although I've probably used it when talking about Lindsay, especially when I'm annoyed.

Mostly, I just don't like her. She's never been a character I connected to. I don't like that from her first season onward she took time away from other characters who I think are more deserving of screentime (specifically Hawkes - if they acknowledged that Hawkes got the shaft in S2 because they needed to introduce Lindsay, it boggles my mind that they never bothered to make it up to him in later seasons). The character started out with potential, but by season 5 she seems to have less going for her than she started with.

Anna having kids doesn't bother me, honestly - it's her right, and I wouldn't want someone to say I shouldn't have kids if I was in that position. (Not that I think anybody here is saying that, I'm just pointing out my own feelings.) My problem is with how they've dealt with the pregnancies on the show itself. The choice to write in the pregnancy this season seems to have put the final nail in the coffin, essentially reducing Lindsay to a glorified love interest - and she's been teetering on the brink of that classification for a while. Even as we've watched the character go through her very first pregnancy, we've seen little more than 'Yay, I'm excited to have a baby' from her. It's like she's just carrying Danny's child and there's nothing the character can contribute to the storyline.

I don't think Anna is the worst actress on TV, but I think she stands out compared to the other people on the show because they're all just so talented. However, I think if the writing was tailored to her individual strengths, I might have developed at least some small amount of fondness for her in the four seasons she's been on the show. As of right now, I can't see it happening, and a lot of that is on the writers' shoulders.

Also, I think her demonstrations are annoying and not at all cute, and as others have said, I don't like that she seems to get handled with kid gloves.

Aiden is long since dead and gone - I feel like hating Lindsay because of Aiden would be ridiculous at this point. My problem wasn't that she replaced a character I liked - the problem was that she couldn't fill her shoes. Aiden was feisty and really felt like she belonged in NYC, not to mention that she was flirtatious without strings attached (if that makes sense). Lindsay, on the other hand, has been inconsistent, and they have always emphasized her being From Montana without ever really delving into the interesting possibilities her being an outsider would provide - plus, I think it's obvious when flirtation is planned rather than finding its way into the show organically. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - and in this case, I don't think it works. (And it's continued to not work all the way to the altar - or the clerk's office, anyway.)