Rick Stetler/David Lee Smith--Some Bad Boys ARE Cute Up Close!

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Jag Lady, Mar 29, 2009.

?

Which Rick Stetler do you like? Nice or Nasty?

Poll closed Apr 13, 2009.
  1. Mean and nasty!

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. The IAB Agent with a Heart

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. If Rick Stetler's on, I'll watch!

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

I've been amazed at how many Rick Stetler/David Lee Smith fans have come out of the woodwork since our favorite IAB agent has been largely absent in S7.

It seems like a lot of people, even those who've absolutely hated his guts, seem to miss him. Even whoever writes the episode reviews even admits that he/she has gone from absolutely loathing him to almost cheering him on. A closer look at our flawed, complex IAB agent shows that most of the time, he really isn't that bad. Obviously there's the H/Y/S love triangle in S2 and S3. But then it seems like Rick started to come into his own.

I think David Lee Smith has done a fantastic job with this character. He's incredibly handsome and talented. Even though Rick will usually only have one scene per episode (except "Shattered", "The Oath" and some others), I would really like to see his character more developed. JMHO, Rick and Horatio's rivalry added something that I think has been largely missing this season.

My hope is that we can get a sort of a fan thread going for this talented actor and complex character, much like the Wolfe Pack or E/C fans.

Your thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

I've been wishing there was a thread like this for David Lee Smith for a long time! Yes, he's incredibly handsome and talented, and I have a huge crush on him! I want to see him in more episodes with more screen time too.

All throughout last season, TPTB seemed to be having Rick evolve into more of a good guy, which I liked. I believed in the potential of Rick Stetler to evolve into being a character who could work with the team instead of against. I know I didn't want an intense rivalry to continue between Horatio and Rick because I dreaded it could end up leading to a horrible "Rick goes psycho" storyline where the character would suddenly become dangerous and go after H or Yelina and end up getting killed off.:rolleyes:

So I'm really happy that TPTB aren't doing that and instead are going to have:

Rick work with Ryan to confront Tara about the missing pills in ep 21, and Rick working with H to finally stop Saris in ep 24

Those episodes are going to be awesome!!!

Thanks for starting this thread Alamance! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. MLS859

MLS859 Victim

I absolutely adore the character of Rick Stetler -- and the man who portrays him, David Lee Smith. I believe Stetler is a great foil for Horatio -- and, quite frankly, the more annoying he is (to Horatio) the better. I love to watch the facial expressions of both of these characters/actors as they interact on the show.

I've been a fan of DLS for quite awhile and, in fact, have a small section devoted to him on my personal forum. Because I spend a lot of time writing and doing my own thing, I don't visit a lot of other forums but, as I became more frustrated at the lack of Stetler this season, I have branched out a bit in search of "why". I'm delighted to hear he will be on an upcoming episode.

I hope DLS can feel the love!!

Lynn

4. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Hey, my pleasure, HnStetlerFan. The signs were everywhere.

At first I myself thought he was a class-A slimeball. But as I did a little more looking, I'd say most of the time he's just doing his job. Is he doing it perfectly? Probably not. But in cases like Cyber-Lebrity and Going Under, he's warning, advising, and even protecting the team.

I guess I have the advantage in that my husband did Internal Affairs for several years. People who haven't been close to Internal Affairs really don't seem to understand it. As the head of IAB, Rick's job is to see that procedures are being followed, root out any corruption, and yes, even protect and advise. During a high-profile case, Rick would be working some serious overtime, ducking TV cameras and sucking on Maalox bottles. It's a very political, very stressful job. The rank and file think you're being too hard on them, while the Brass think you're not being hard enough.

Knowing what I know about Internal Affairs, it's not that hard to get the "Rick-goes-psycho" storyline. He's not happy about being IAB as it is.

I've had the chance to look at some more screencaps, and I discovered something pretty funny. If you look at his face in many scenes, you almost get the impression he's afraid, or at least intimidated by Horatio. This was particularly true when he had the thing with Yelina. But I guess he had to accept the fact that he was nothing more than a stand-in for Horatio.

I for one am really looking forward to our Rickster's return! Better late than never. Too bad it won't be on my birthday.

5. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

6. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

So, any bets as to whether they'll match his shirt and tie this time? Whether they'll cover his mole again?

In each of his appearances in "Pro Per." Of course, I think it's the one epi we get to see DLS in short sleeves. (YUM!) You can see the look on his face, but I guess he sees how Yelina's looking at H. Again. That's not a guy that looks sure of things.

http://csi-caps.com/displayimage.php?album=171&pos=360

Our IAB guy looks a little spooked in this pic too.

http://csi-caps.com/displayimage.php?album=171&pos=214

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  7. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

:guffaw:OK, going by his appearances in the last two episodes of last season, I'm thinking he'll be dressed fairly normal in these new ones. And as far as the mole goes, I don't know. Even if they cover it, you can still see it, so it's good either way to me. :)

I wonder how his hair will look. He has nice hair. :drool:

8. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

And not just on his head, either! :thumbsup::drool:

Saving the fluffy red jammies and the bon bons for 7.21 and 7.24!

9. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

10. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

11. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

BTW, got some Rick-Centric banners that I posted on MLS's forum. All screencaps are courtesy of Random-Scribblings.net. Snaggable if you like. I request only that you give me credit. Since they exceed this forum's size limit, you would need to shrink them down.

Here you go. Eight whole pages of DLS and his mole! Gaze and enjoy!

http://lynnirwinstewart.yuku.com/topic/3833

12. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

YAY! A Stetler thread! I CAN'T WAIT to see him in the next episode!! :D

13. luf100

luf100 Coroner

Me either. I even miss him. :lol: He brought something to the show when he was there.

What episode is it he leaves Yelina's house with a black eye? I'd like to make an icon of that. :lol:

14. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

That's in "Whacked."

csi justine posted a link to more spoiler pics in the spoiler pics section, and when I was clicking around looking at the pics there, I saw one of Rick. He has his back to the camera, but I know it's him. He's talking to Horatio. And the person who's closest to and facing the camera is Ron Saris, who's face looks sorta like someone threw a pizza at it, and he's laughing this hideous laugh.

15. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I'm so sorry but I never liked Stetler in the show. I apologise if I offend anyone but I don't miss him on the show.