Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I don't think TPTB are at a point of no return with this couple. No one says that the story has to keep going & going for all of Miami's eternity.

What sucks is that this "romance" has taken over the show, & the E/C characters themselves. It leaves very little for TPTB to play on with individual storylines for these particular characters because the "romance" will always come out somewhere along with the other story.
    Is that what TPTB really want for 2 of thier main CSI's?
    Somehow, I would think a time would come that they'd need to put a twist on things.
    As mentioned in previous posts, viewers are getting more vocal now about e/c & disliking them (not only here but elsewhere). The e/c romance is keeping a certain amount of fans happy & content, but truth be told, there is an entire fanbase that will need fresh new stories, & character arcs to remain entertained. Ryan's new epi is definitly helping - that thread is exploding with happy fans who've waited patiently for this. But how long will it last, & will it disappoint considering there will AGAIN be E/C added into the mix?!

As long as they have E/C front & center of this show - then those other fans are going to lose interest very quickly. I personally have just had enough of this crap. I keep watching just to see where it's going & hope that the characters I do like can keep me sane enough to stick it out.

I don't really know about this. Both characters went through drastic changes, however, Eric's change was due to his injury & his fixation on Calleigh, so there is a little chance that they could turn him around (if given the right circumstances) & get him help, make him more "normal" (this will not happen as long as he's clinging to a fantasy though). A good dose of reality could go a long way for him!

Calleigh on the other hand is a different story, & I'm not sure If I can explain it properly. I can't really pinpoint where her change came in because it's been played so inconsistently. Either way, I can't see the old Calleigh coming back at all - they've done too much damage, & for very little reason/excuses to make her this way. There's nothing that she can overcome (like Eric who can) to bring a little of that essence back. She isn't in the middle of a personal battle with herself, & I feel like Eric is, & has been since his injury.
    Any of that make sense? It's just how I see it I guess.

2. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

More then year ago, when i start watching show (in that time i see only 3-5 season) i would say "I love Ryan, but if he leave show i be watch that without him"(and watch other show where Jon go :p), but now, after season 6 and 7, i stop watching(if Ryan go leaves show). I had interest in this show not only in Ryan, but interesting cases, team dynamics and i was like all characters. Now i watch only because Ryan there. I don't like Eric anymore, i don't like Calleigh. H is ok, Natalia... i really like her since season 6. But the show not the same, for me it change in bad side and if i start watch this show now, i probably wouldn't interesting and change channel.
    I agree, no way back. We should forget old Delko and old Calleigh. But they can change both characters more, in something new, good new, better that they have now. And i think they really should break up, cuz, i don't believe that EC change in better side in relationships that made them so bad.

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Yeah and I tried not to let this bother me, but the more I think about it, the more it bothers me. However, the thing about the E/C scene in the upcoming ep (which is supposed to be Ryan centric), makes sense in a way (as much as I'm not a fan of the romance storyline). The ep is mostly about Ryan keeping this big secret (his abduction) from the team, so it would make some sense that they show E/C giving that they're keeping a secret from the team as well. It's some kind of parallel. It's like comparing the two secrets and asking which is worse. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  4. abstract

abstract Dead on Arrival

That’s the thing about putting two main characters together in a romance - there’s no getting away from it. Essentially Eric and Calleigh have become a unit as opposed to two individual characters. It would be one thing if the pair had just the occasional romantic moment - a little something that was enough to remind the viewer that they a have personal life and a relationship outside of work - it would be subtle and something I think even those that dislike the pairing could easily live with (or ignore). However that’s not what we’ve seen thus far. We’ve had two years of Eric’s pining and constant reminders of just how much he loves her; two years of the two having their significant moments of devotion to each other (at the expense of other characters); and two years of life-threatening/altering drama that existed simply as a means to bring them together in a romance. And all of that took place was before the pair even hooked up!

Now that they are together, we have the EC romantic moments that stand alone, relationship moments or scenes of comforting that are intertwined with whatever case they are working on (last week’s ep was the perfect example of this) and we also now have the other characters becoming integrated into the romance either by speculating about it, talking to EC about it, or being (somehow) affected by it. That’s where the "overkill" comes from.

I am, too, and what I am reading are a variety opinions, much the same as have been expressed in this thread. What I am not reading is: ‘I hate EC because she/he belongs with - insert name of choice’. So while it may be easy to assume that all opposed to this pairing are so, simply because they are jealous shippers or haters who enjoy bashing the show, that’s not the case at all. Main cast pairings alter the dynamics of an ensemble show, and not everyone is going to like what they are seeing. This isn’t The Eric and Calleigh Show, it’s a crime procedural with an ensemble cast, yet for the past two years it has been becoming increasing more about Eric and Calleigh and their feelings. No wonder fans are speaking out.

It’s too early to tell how this coupling is going to affect the show as a whole or the fan base in the long term because we don’t know how it’s going to play out in the future or how long it’s going to last. But it is worth noting that the negative comments elsewhere seem to be outnumbering the positive ones.

Good point, GNRFan. It’s annoying that the EC romance is going to play a part in an episode that revolves around Ryan, but I, too, get the parallel. However more EC drama just feels like more EC drama when I’d like the focus to be off them for a change. And why make the EC drama more of what we have already seen? The 'secret relationship' card has already been played - just last season and with Calleigh, no less! The pair will be outed, Horatio will fix everything, and all the ‘drama’ will have been for naught. Let’s hope tptb move on quickly and give someone else a story in which EC play no part.

I agree, Delynn, it will be. If tptb plan to continue to integrate this romance into just about every episode and in the process, continue to show how it affects the two characters as well as the team dynamics, then why not at least do something that hasn’t already been done, something that could prove interesting even for those who don’t care for the pairing? There is a downside to working side-by-side with your romantic partner in law enforcement, why not explore that further? Think about last week with Eric putting his need to comfort Calleigh ahead of the case - what happens if putting your needs or the needs of your romantic partner has serious repercussions for the case or the team?

5. mjszud

mjszud Captain

oooh, ya know what I could go for? Hehehe *is evil*..... someone (within the team or random person) getting shot or injured because Eric & Calleigh are too busy being up each other's butt to take notice of anything else around them! Sorry, but at this point I wouldn't really care about how much the guilt would hurt them. ;)

I mean hell, the entire team is being targeted, & instead of seeing all of them gather to each others' sides to make sure everyone is safe - Eric heads off to find out if Calleigh's riding the horse guy or the freakin' horse!!
    I'm scared to see this next episode! Ryan get's the snot beat out of him, yet I fear that all E/C will focus thier worry on is thier precious love affair being outted!

Sorry, random rant over.

6. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

:guffaw: Loved the riding horse guy/riding the horse comment!

You are not the only one fearing that situation. I too think that if there is worry that they only thing on their minds is the outing of the relationship, I mean Delko didn't seem too worried that Ryan wasn't picking up his phone, gee I though they were friends.

From what I've read of the spoilers it appears they have a sleep over, yea they seem totally worried about their friend, who is in quite some danger, that they go romping about in minimal clothing. :rolleyes: Doesn't seem to be a shred of caring, let alone guilt for giving up looking, I'd hope that Ryan would tell them that the friendship is over if they would rather play house then make sure he's not dead.

7. captain_nati

captain_nati Prime Suspect

lol!! I have to say though, that even if I am laughing, that seems probable. I stopped by to add my two cents for that lovely *coughs* couple. I have to admit that since TPTB confirmed this two as a cannon couple, I officially dropped the series. I know it may sound stupid, but I am done! They are forcing the E/C couple to us in every single episode! I mean the last two seasons seem to revolve completely around them!
    I am pissed with the writers. The lack of chemistry between Calleigh and Eric is just so obvious that even if I tried I am sure I couldn't overlook it. And through the spoilers I read I understand that things are getting worst than get fixed! Gee what happened to natural chemistry????

8. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Sadly natural chemistry went out the window with the ability to keep things straight, some days I think they check this board to remember what they have done with specific characters.

I do agree that the connection between Calleigh and Eric is quite forced, and Eric has more of a lust aspect then love intentions, IMHO. Therefore a basis for a real relationship was lost on conception.

And don't worry you're not the only one who can't believe this happened, there are a lot of people who don't inhabit the boards but feel that this "relationship" is crowding the show and taking away from the point, the crimes.

9. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

Someone's point on Calleigh not going for her gun as the guy put the bag over her head. Yeah, she could've gone for it, but:

~she thought it was Eric, so she suspected no form of attack.
    ~she was defenately frightened by the guy.
    ~people react differently in different situations... although she's trained to handle anything that comes in her way, she handled it as calmly as she could.
    ~she's human too, so that could account for her not going for the gun at first.

10. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

Calleigh and Eric don't know what happened to Ryan yet nor does the rest of the team. Calleigh only starts realizing something is wrong with Ryan after she notices him making "mistakes" with the evidence. They are not heartless to go on living their lives knowing their friend is in danger.

11. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

Calleigh and Eric should've figured that since they couldn't get ahold of Ryan at the end of the last episode, something dreadful had happened to him. They should've spent all night looking for him. In fact, they should've sent patrol cars to his place and put an APB out on him.

12. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I beg to differ. If I had friends who were also in law enforcement & odds were that I was in danger, then I for one would be highly disappointed that my teammembers didn't continue to look for me.
    This kind of show is supposed to be showing us about the TEAM (when it isn't always about the crime) - how they work, how they're affected by the cases, & how they are there for EACH OTHER.
    This isn't a show about the love of 2 CSIs - Eric & Calleigh!

All the same, this episode has not even aired yet. Who knows if they'll get ahold of Ryan & he lies & says everything's ok. That's fine if that's the case. But I definitly disagree that it's fine that they continue to just live thier lives knowing that thier teammember & friend is in danger. That isn't what this team is supposed to be representing.

13. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

Precisely. They should've known Ryan was in terrible danger when he didn't answer the phone. They should've filed a missing person's report and convinced Horatio to put together a search party in addition to sending patrol cars to his place and putting out an APB.

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I do agree that they should all be on high alert due to the pictures and all. They pretty much know they're being watched and the fact that Ryan isn't answering the phone one time shouldn't cause any concern right away, but if they keep trying and he still doesn't answer after a certain amount of time, that should raise immediate red flags, or at least have them wondering if maybe something happened.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  15. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Exactly. Although I don't think that Horatio would need anyone to convince him of the need for a search. He seemed to be the one who was the most anxious about getting a hold of Ryan by insisting that Eric try again when Eric said he hadn't been able to get an answer. Out of all of them I think Horatio is most aware of the serious danger they are all in.

And I think Horatio and Ryan have grown quite close in the last couple of seasons. Horatio obviously trusts Ryan implicitly and has for a while.

I really hope that it isn't what it sounds like and Eric and Calleigh don't just carry on with their life knowing that Ryan is missing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.