Grade "Communication Breakdown"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 25, 2009.

?

How would you grade Communication Breakdown?

1. A+

20 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. A

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. B+

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  7. C+

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  8. C

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Yep. That's exactly what he said.

2. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

The case should have been interesting, and indeed, I was intrigued by the idea of death by sepsis. What an insidious and willfully cruel way to kill someone. As an added bonus, the victim was a thoroughly likeable man. I was angry that a weaselly little rat bastard killed him for his own greedy ends. It should've been great.

But damn, did it drag. The episode was akin to visual molasses, dragging from scene to scene and clunky, chunky clot of exposition to nauseatingly overdone cute with Danny fretting over potential baby names. Forty-four minutes bloated into forty-four hours, and I engaged in strenuous neck aerobics watching the clock and praying for the credits.

Did we really need so many scenes of Danny fretting over what to name Bump? Aside from Danny's discussion with Stella and the closing scene wherein he learned Bump was a slot and not a tab, they seemed heavy-handed, shameless and frantic attempts by the writers to keep the excruciating horror known as DL in the forefront of viewers' minds. "Maybe if we bring it up every time Danny breathes, the fans will remember how kewl and cute and awesome it is." The scene with Mac was particularly painful, and the scene with Sheldon had a mean-spirited undertone that left a bad taste in my mouth. I think it was meant to be light-hearted ribbing, but Danny's final, "Sheldon" was snide and sneering and rather ugly.

Since when did Hawkes devolve into an imbecile? Clemenza and Alphonse are stereotypical mob names, it's true(and the fact that Danny calls them family names lends more credence to him coming from a mob family than springing from a family of cops, honestly, but I'm guessing the writers have already forgotten about that handy retcon), but Louie should've been a strong hint that they were important names to Danny. Maybe Hawkes, like the writers, has forgotten that Louie ever existed.

So, now that Flack and Angell are a couple, they can't appear independently of each other? Look, I like Angell, and I want her on the show. She's got moxie and flair and enhances the show as a strong female presence. I just wish the producers hadn't decided to pair her up with Flack. I can't shake the sinking suspicion that as soon as they tire of playing house with DL, the writers will turn their dewy-eyed, sticky-fingered attention to Flack/Angell and ruin a nicely understated relationship. The closing scene with Angell and the universal translator was utterly ridiculous and made me grit my teeth. So a detective who's desperate to keep her rule-flouting relationship with her partner a secret sees no problem with propositioning him in the squadroom? All right, then. At least Flack had the sense to hold the device close to his ear.

Angell, circumspection, let me show you it. Why must they make you look like an idiot to advance this dreadful idea?

And yes, I write Flack/OC and am disgruntled that the writers are hellbent on harshing my fannish squee with a relationship that adds nothing to Flack and could reduce Angell to a sheath for his barometric tripod if executed poorly. If that just makes me a bitter fangirl, then give me my damn lemons, get me a stool, and watch Mama suck like a pro.

On the bright side, they made a feeble effort to highlight the ethnic diversity of the city, and really, Flack speaking Gaelic was just damn hot.

3. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

They did in Point of No Return - Angell & Stella were off kidnapping a man so he could be locked up in Cyprus, while Flack was working on the Pino case. I don't think they had a single scene together.

4. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

Another enjoyable episode.

Things I wonder about...

Why did they seem surprised that the victim was dead before the bullet hit him? There was almost no blood at the scene.

If a person dies in the manner where they swallow something and it tears up their GI tract wouldn't they be puking up blood or finding blood in their stool?

The small view that they gave of different cultures was cool.

The long drawn out scene in the warehouse where Mac, Flack, and Danny were desending upon the murderer was too long drawn out. It was almost painful. Although, it was neat to see Mac use his heat detecting gaget.

I also thought the interpreter machine was cool, too.

Aww... Lindsay and Danny are having a girl. Danny didn't seem all that upset about missing the doctor appointment/ultrasound. It was funny that he "knew" for sure they were having a boy. I wonder if he's going to run around asking people what they think about girl's names next week. LOL!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  5. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I don't think he's going to be running around asking opinions next week - I think it's a re-run of Sex, Lies & Silicone.

6. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

When I say "Indian" I don't mean someone from India, I mean like cowboys and Indians. Indians like the kind in old western movies wore feathers and did rain dances. The kind that song from the late 60s-early 70s called "Indian Reservation" by Paul Revere and the Raiders was about.
    Piece of that song: "They took the whole Cherokee nation locked us on this reservation."
    I hope this clears up the confusion. :klingon:

7. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I think roximonoxide was pointing out that it's politically correct to save "Native American" as opposed to "Indian", since Columbus was wrong in the first place, Carolyn. :)

I personally mix them up in speech all of the time, but still.

8. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

They've been called Indians for so long at this point though that it's not like people don't know like what you're talking about. It should't be a big deal, IMO.

Also on the show I'm pretty sure they said the "Montiquan Indian Nation".

9. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I don't really think it's that big of a deal, but I know that some people have a problem with it. I was only intending to say that I think that's what the post Carolyn was quoting was talking about.

10. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I was kinda surprised that they used the term Indian and not Native American, mainly because it always think of CBS as being a very conservative, politically correct station where you are not allowed to have a child outside of wedlock etc.

With regards to Danny saying 'the baby girl in her belly', to me he is speaking very clearly - I never think he mumbles, which probaly says more about my accent and how Geordie people speak than anything else.

11. kinehelene

kinehelene Hit and Run

Mm now i have lisen to the end a couple of times. and you guys are rigth..
    danny sais in her belly...

12. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

It wasn't confusion. I know you didn't mean someone from India. I was explaining that Chief Delaware or the actor playing him is not an Indian because he does not come from India. He has an ethnicity all this own. Please don't disregard it. The problem is, it's an awfully offensive thing to say.

So, should it not be a big deal when we use racial slurs either, just because those words have been around forever? It is a big deal. To a lot of people, and diminishing the importance of properly recognizing someones ethnicity is ignorant at best and hateful at worst.

ETA:The only thing that sets the term Indian apart from more widely unaccepted slurs is that it is the proper term for a group of people; those who actually come from India. But calling a Native American an Indian is no better than calling the Irish or Scots British, or referring to anyone who remotely looks like they come from the eastern Asia and most of the Pacific rim Chinese. It's incredibly offensive to knowingly shrug off someones ethnicity because you can't be bothered to get it right.

13. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

The Scots are British, as are the Welsh, since they're part of Great Britain which is the entire island.

14. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

I'm aware of their location and the political and geographical structure of Great Britain. Have you ever called an Irish person or a Scottish person a Brit? I don't recommend it. They don't care much for it. That's not the nationality most of them identify with since, yuh know, they've fought some wars over it and they tend to take great offense. I'm just asking for a little exercise in respect to cultures other than your own.

15. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I asked & someone who is Scottish said "I'm not offended by being called British or anything, its not derogatory." so I don't think that's true. Ireland is a separate island - they are not part of Great Britian therefore they aren't British... I think people say that they are Welsh, English, or Scottish - but they don't claim that they aren't British.

My mother's grandmother was Scottish, by the way.