Grade "Communication Breakdown"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 25, 2009.

?

How would you grade Communication Breakdown?

1. A+

20 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. A

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. B+

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  7. C+

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  8. C

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. saoirse

saoirse Victim

To say I cringed a bit when they spoke Irish, and that's something that wrecks my brain all together, them calling it Gaelic. Nobody calls it that, we don't call it that. And Adam saying caman, sliotar was grand, but caman, mispronounced and again, we mainly call it hurling (the greatest game on the planet, the oldest sport and the fastest field sport in the world.) Eddie Cahill managed the Irish pretty well till he said "ceart go leor," his accent wasn't too bad till then, then it just sounded a bit like the old attempts at an Irish accent, the twiddly dee leprechaun attempt.

Anyway despite those cringeworthy moments it was a decent enough episode.

2. GTuruturu

GTuruturu Witness

i liked it, thought it was cute...forgettable, maybe, but that just means i can watch it again like it was the first time.

danny, didn't really bug me, and yes the whole "it's a girl" in a text is weird, BUT being a massive texter and not having any convo minutes left myself, i guess it just didn't bug me as much.

I loved Sheldon in this episode: when he says the kid will be called a virus on the playground i couldn't help but think, was he the virus, or was he the smart ass calling other kids a virus....with a name like sheldon it could go anyway :lol: no seriously he's adorable...as is adam and his home of the tech republic....i may need to move. =/

angell was a little cheesy...but theres a first for everyone right....lets not make it a reoccuring theme though....

who speaks greek? what did stella mutter about danny??? i want to know =]

3. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

We call it Gaelic in Scotland and the 'Irishman' was unmistakably Scottish. Maybe the writers don't realise that these are different countries.

Another thing, why did Flack say to him "your not the only one whose grandfather taught him a little Gaelic" (or something like that). If the guy was supposed to be of Irish descent he wouldn't have an Irish accent. If he was Irish, he would have been taught some Irish in school, I think.

Hurling isn't a sport, it's grevious bodily harm without worrying about being arrested.

4. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I thought the case was bleh! There wasn't really anything about it that gripped my attention. As others have said the multicultural angle is something that should be explored more in the show overall, having a single episode like this just felt like they were cramming everything in.

I agree that Danny and the baby naming was a little OTT. My favourite scenes were the ones with Sheldon and the closing scene. I guess the other two were necessary in tptb's eyes because they were with Mac and Stella and we can't possibly have something personal going on without involving them and their wisdom. :rolleyes: Not that I have anything against either of them, it's just that they always have to be front and centre in the personal issues of the team, despite that Mac insisted last season that he doesn't get 'involved'.

It was weird that Lindsay told Danny via text that they were having a girl, but I see that more as tptb engineering the scene that they wanted as opposed to it being telling of their poor communication.

This was the first episode where I actually felt the chemistry between Flack and Angell. Up until now it's felt a little bit like them being pushed together because they looked good rather than having particular romantic chemistry. I did find Flack a little indiscreet for my liking. Not that I have a problem with indiscreet (quite the opposite usually) but Flack's always struck me as being more subtle than that. I quite liked the 'ooh la la' scene but could've done without the oh so cliched 'sexiest thing I've ever heard' comment, particularly when the cop standing right behind him had to have heard it.

Does anyone know what Stella said to Danny when he was in denial about the possibility of the baby being a girl? I can probably guess, but I'd like to know.

5. celtess

celtess Rookie

I give a C
    I doesn't like this episode
    It's so confuse !!
    This story to take a wrong way
    Just I like the last scene when Danny know hte baby's sexe
    And when angell speack french
    But it's an ordonery episode for me.
    It's not my favorite
    :rolleyes:

6. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I have to say it wasn't an amazing ep for me there was just something missing, that just didn't nit it together enough and I wasn't like OMG it was him, I didn't gues sit straight away but it almost kinda felt far fetched in a wierd way that it was conviently him tho that is pretty normal in csi land.

The Danny and the baby names was strangely cute the way he was engineering it into conversations and his chat with Hawkes was funny you could eaisly picture them at different sides of the playground.

The end scene was what made it for me (and Dannys comment about adam, that made me giggle) i just loved them all joking and the text was wierd a phonecall even if only a short one would have been nicer but a text sums up them i suppose in a wierd way.

Flack and Angell was odd, for some reason I didn't see the connection i'd seen in previous episodes, it was there but it felt more forced now that we know they are an item so its like we have to have them do this, which was odd, I couldn't get all into there relationship which was wierd.

Angell speaking french was cool, but i do love the french accent mostly on men but the way she smirked at the end was funny. And Flack speaking Gaelic was funny with how smug he looked after he said it like he knew he had one up from the start.

Overall OK not amazing or as good as last week... a B

7. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but what's wrong with Angell speaking French? Emmanuelle Vaugier is Canadian, so it's not like it came completely out of left field. ;)

I agree that the text message thing had more to do with staging the scene than anything about communication, despite what the episode title implies. Still though, I could rewrite that about twenty different ways that don't involve getting important information via text.

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

And that's the point, really. The characters are nothing without the writing. The way they chose to write and stage that scene reflected on the relationship between Danny and Lindsay. If that wasn't intentional then TPTB are doing an extremely shoddy job of story telling.

9. Half

Half CSI Level Two

^Eh. True. TPTB are rather stupid sometimes. I mean, they obviously don't know continuity, and they can't write a scene where someone calls their husband and tells him that they're having a daughter? Poor job, guys, poor job.

And what is going on with this storyline, anyway? They rush into marriage, she flies off to Montana, he's back at home being reckless and contemplating baby names without her, while she's seeing a doctor and finding out the sex of their child? Where's the unity? Where's the bond? It's really not there, is it?

10. OldGuise

OldGuise Hit and Run

Oh, here's something I actually know a little bit about.

The festival that Angell and Flack were at was the Festival of Colors. The main day, Holi, is the day they went on; it's when people throw colored powder and colored water at each other. The powders are made of medicinal herbs, so they're safe. The only health risk would be if the powders were made synthetically, because some of those are toxic.

The only experience I've had with the festival was last year's Holi, so you should fact-check all that, but I definitely remember that it's just as fun as they made it look on the show. :)

11. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

So I'm sitting here thinking about this episode and how pathetically Danny and Lindsay's ability to communicate is portrayed in this one and I've got to say this has got to be intentional in a episode where everyone else is speaking a million different languages and Stella's trying to decipher this age old tongue and the title of this episode is "Communication Breakdown". Clearly the running theme here was just as the title suggests and everything we saw here was a depicition of poor communication.

12. celtess

celtess Rookie

I know that
    In my post I figure one posotice scene of this episode is that angell speak french
    I think it"s so grat

13. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I think it would be completely unrealistic for them to all know other languages unless their families had recently immigrated... I'm English, Scottish, German, Dutch, & Mohawk - and I only know English. People don't necessarily speak the language of their ancestors.

14. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

^^ I hardly think it would be unrealistic to think that a group of people, all with such lofty degrees of education under their belt, would speak more than one language. Especially Danny and Hawkes; Danny's Italian background has been so insisted upon, coupled with the fact that he goes out of his way to accentuate properly when he speaks the occasional word or phrase with etymological roots in Italian, and Hawkes who's supposed to be a prodigy and a doctor. Frankly, I'd be surprised if both of them only knew English.

15. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I thought of something else I forgot in my original post.
    There was a 3rd thing missing from this episode.
    3rd thing...Hawkes speaking another language. I have a few languages in mind for Hawkes. Sign language, Swahili, Finnish, Russian, Arabic, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Egyptian, Thai, Hindi-the language of the country India. Smart as Hawkes is, I wouldn't be surprised if he speaks 2 or 3 of these or all of them and we just didn't get to experience it.

Oh! Someone said, either in this thread or another thread, something about Hawkes didn't know what keratin is. Well, I beg to disagree. He told Mac that the little thing in the dead Indian's intestines was high in keratin but it wasn't from a person or land dwelling animal that this keratin object was called baleen. Mac said "From inside a whale's mouth." So, I think Hawkes knows what keratin is.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009