Why Lindsay Must Go (Part 3)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

All the time. Particularly when he's talking to Stella or Mac. I realize that these little explanations are more for the audience's understanding than the characters, but honestly the tone in which she's taken with Mac I've often found insulting. But of course she never gets scolded because she's above being penalized somehow. She'd be that much more likable right off the bat if she weren't handled with kid gloves all the time. It's irritatingly unjust.

ETA: Early on, when she hadn't been around long, I did appreciate that Mac seemed to patronize her little diatribes, and impatiently so. It seemed justified that we weren't the only ones suffering through her mind numbing performances. I have no idea why they decided to make him change his mind about that.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

And my mind goes back to season four, was it in that shark episode, Like Water for Murder or something rather (I didn't pay enough attention to most of season 4) when she left evidence and the almighty Mac who fears for the integrity of the lab let her get away with it because she had problems with Danny? Now on a scale from 1 to 10, how OOC was that from Mac?

3. roximonoxide

Mac's militant insistence of lab protocol has been reconned countless times to serve Lindsay's little melt downs and tantrums. He'd have torn Danny, Hawkes or Adam up like a wet tissue for a misstep like that. Need we be reminded of his quick and sharp termination of Aiden for her desire to tamper with evidence? Lindsay however, just charms the pants right off on him everytime? Spare me.:rolleyes:

4. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

100- Major OOC.

But then again, his speech in Green Piece was super OOC as well. Apparently, TPTB doesn't care much for character integrity. My friend, who's catching up on CSI: NY, said that she felt as if the characters changed in some way after Lindsay became part of the show. I never really watched much of Season 1 (due to inconvenience, but I've seen enough of it to know that I'd prefer Aiden over Lindsay any day), so I don't know if that's true. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  5. privatename

privatename Rookie

I don't know either. I did feel like as much as she was annoying in those scenes at least I felt like Mac was speaking for us when he got impatient with her. If that makes sense.

Uhhhh a 40 perhaps :)

That is hard for me to say. I never really thought about it except in the way that Lindsay inexplicably gets passes from Mac that no one else would get. I find it hard to compare the seasons since they changed quite a few things from that season -- many of which I consider a mistake. I will have to watch any reruns with that question in mind though.

6. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

7. privatename

privatename Rookie

That was something that bugged me from early on. Also, they talked her up instead of letting her "speak" for herself. I am thinking of the scene where Stella said to Mac "new girl can hold her own" and "will fit in fine" or words to that effect anyway. It felt forced like they were telling me she was a great addition without letting me come to that conclusion myself. I can't think of any other examples right now. My impression was that that type of thing happened other times, but maybe I am remembering it wrong and that was the only instance of that happening. Once was enough I guess to leave a bad taste in my mouth especially combined with all the other mistakes made with the character and with the poor acting.

8. roximonoxide

^ You're not wrong at all. They've routinely used other characters, chiefly Danny, Stella and Mac, to talk about how great she is rather than show us anything she's done that's worthy of those compliments. That kind of hearsay doesn't do anything to her credit in my eyes, and I imagine most of yours. If they wanted me to believe she is as wonderful as people keep saying they need to show us, or I'm not inclined to buy it.

9. Silver_angel

Silver_angel Victim

That bugs me alot that Lindsay is never alone in her scenes but always with Mac. Stella or Danny.
    it's almost like she needs someone to show her emotions or something because I can't see it from Belknaps face except for the dead face thing :shifty:
    I dislike her for some very OOC stuff that happens with her annoucement of her pregnancy and before that.
    I'm curious why the writers had a sudden urge to write Anna Belknaps real life pregnancy into the show.:confused:

10. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

She'll be in big trouble if Danny's the one killed off in the finale. Danny basically holds up Lindsay's character, and if he dies, then it'll become painfully obvious to the rest of the people who like Lindsay that Lindsay is barely a character in of itself. She's more like a jumble of bad acting, an enormous amount of praising from other characters, a prop, and a baby.

11. Half

Half CSI Level Two

1) Oh, definitely. If Danny was killed, Lindsay would be in trouble. It'd make her lack of characterization painfully obvious.
    2) Also if Danny died, anyone that doubted Anna's acting ability with emotion would either be proven or disproven, and I'd bet on the former.

12. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

In addition to just not wanting Danny to die, if he kicks the bucket, I'd worry about who will be stuck propping Lindsay up. You know they'd have to transfer it to someone else. Probably Mac, who knows all about grieving over the loss of a spouse and who would no doubt bend over backwards to help raise Danny's (aka his surrogate son's) child.

Lindsay herself...oh geez, can you imagine having to watch her be really emotional in every episode, at least to start with? :scream:

13. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Oh god, Fay... Imagining is painful. :scream: I'm thinking something like Grissom after Warrick died, plus "ohMyGodIHaveToRaiseThisKidMyself", plus "Can'tYouSeeI'mCrying", plus "GiveMeSympathyCuzIJustLostMyHusband".

If you understand that, you get a gold star. :lol:

14. Miss Poisonous

Miss Poisonous Civilian

My first, too ;)
    I just want to agree with what CSI_in_training said about Lindsay's 'dark secret' never being revisited...it feels very much like the 'dark secret' was invented to keep viewers interested in the character long enough to let her settle in to her purpose as a romantic interest for Danny. Both felt like unsubtle tricks to warm viewers quickly to a character replacing a favourite regular...after all, fangirls write MarySues so they can pair them off with their own favourite male leads more often than not.
    And the dark secret seems to have been totally forgotten now that Danny and the viewers know what it was actually about! I may have missed something, but did the rest of the team ever find out what it was all about? And why did the trial close all that for Lindsay? If she managed to hold onto it all those years, surely this would just bring it more to the fore, not shut her up on it forever. Surely she would at least take the opportunity to remind Danny how hard her life has been from time to time.
    Sorry, I'm getting a little bashy here. All I meant by that was, for example, Stella's trauma with Frankie has been revisited several times, and yes Lindsay's past did not actually happen in an episode of the show, but I don't think she would just let it all go so suddenly. I think her character is simply not interesting enough to carry off any revisitation of the topic.

15. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Ah, Lindsay's "dark secret". I remember that. It's possible that it was never revisited because up until Silent Night she had pretty much put it behind her. Then she gets the call about the fact that they caught the guy, and it brought all of that baggage back. Maybe it was never revisited to show that she's put it behind her again, but it was faster to do so because she doesn't need to worry about who did it?

I dunno. Maybe TPTB just didn't want to give her any OhMyGodMyPast scenes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.