Episode 7x18 - 'Flight Risk' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

Yeah, Elicia, I wasn't as dazzled by the daydream sequence as I hoped to be, but I still found it adorable. Yep, I'm a shipper. I realize it was there to make me happy. And, being the big fat sucker that I am, I fell for it. I welcome anyone to sneer at me for it. *shrug* If it'll make you feel better, go ahead.

Not you, Elicia, I don't think you'll sneer. :)

Anyway... the daydream must've lasted for all of 10 seconds "in real life", Eric put his game face back on immediately, and it didn't detract from the overall investigation.

Real human beings have daydreams. Even hardcore professionals who eat, sleep and breathe the job. I don't think it's such an egregious lapse in character for one of our CSI's to daydream. Now... perhaps it wasn't important for us to SEE it, but again, it's not so abnormal for the average human being to have a daydream. And maybe it shouldn't've happened at work, but as far as we know, this is the only time it's happened; no one should be crucifying the character or the writers over it.

2. electra

electra Pathologist

I find it interesting that such a small scene was able to create such controversy.Since Speed died ,this is my first season watching more regularly (so many episodes missed)and I am not a big fan of Ryan,but I have to say that joking with Natalia is way better then dating Erica Sykes or the gambling issues so if this is a change,at least is positive IMO.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

First of all, I deleted my post because I realized that I didn't state my comments the right way and they were therefore very misunderstood. I apologize for that. I've not been feeling well these past few days, so my mind isn't completely clear and I'm sometimes not able to say correctly what I'm trying to say. I would appreciate it if those who quoted my earlier post (which has now been deleted) would delete my earlier comments from their posts as well. And I will try to better express my thoughts in this post.

Secondly, I just want to make it clear that I was NOT bashing anyone. I am truly sorry if anyone got that impression, but that was not my intention at all.

What I meant was this: Ryan seemed very out of character (to me) in that scene and as a Ryan fan, that upset me. I have very little issue with Natalia in that scene. She responded true to character, but Ryan is a different story. That scene in my honest opinion would have been better suited for Valera (or possibly even Tara) and Natalia rather than Ryan and Natalia (which means it would have had to have taken place in the lab rather than at the crime scene).

I meant absolutely no disrespect to E/C or any shippers of E/C and again, I apologize if my comments were taken that way.

The Ryan/Natalia scene would have bothered me just as much if it had been Horatio/Yelina (whom I do ship) they were talking about (if H/Y were together and the audience were already aware of it). It just seemed weird and out of place to me. And Ryan just wasn't the right person to be having that conversation... or at least not the right person to start it. It didn't come off as comic relief to me at all. Perhaps if it had been Valera as opposed to Ryan it would have, but... The only funny part to me personally was Natalia's "lalala". The rest was just weird for me because it was Ryan when it should have been someone else. That's just my honest opinion.

And while some co-workers may gossip about other co-workers, what I wonder is why the writers showed us that scene. Is there a bigger reason for it than just to have Ryan/Natalia conversing while doing their jobs? I just didn't understand what the writers' intentions were with that scene, that's all. And I mean NO disrespect toward the writers. I just didn't understand why it was in this particular episode. If it had been in an episode before "Sink or Swim", it would have been something I would have understood better, but now it just leave me a bit :confused:.

The only other point I was trying to make was, we (the audience) know E/C are together and therefore I personally didn't understand the reason for that scene with Ryan/Natalia (since it wasn't comic relief to me). What was the purpose of the scene? I just don't understand the reason to have co-workers gossping about them. It felt to me like that scene was out of place because they're already together and the audience already is aware of that fact. If there was still the "are they, aren't they" aspect to the storyline, then that scene would have made more sense. But, since E/C are already together, it just seemed odd to me. Again, no disrespect intended.

I apologize if my comments were misinterpreted. I realize its difficult to understand someone's meaning and tone when you're only reading their comments rather than hearing their voice. But, I never mean to bash. I hope that I've explained my thoughts better now. I apologize that I stunk at it earlier. I'm not always able to express my thoughts that well. Sometimes my mind just gets all jumbled and the thoughts come out kind of jumbled as well, so they're harder to understand and easier to misinterpret. That's my fault and I apologize. I'll try to do better from now on.

Please feel free to ask me to clarify my opinions anytime and I will gladly do so. Honestly, its very hurtful to be accused of bashing, especially when that was most certainly not the intention. Therefore from now on, I'm going to try to better express my opinions so that hopefully, they won't be misinterpreted again.

I guess to sum up, the whole episode left me a bit confused. :lol: But then again, as my cousin says, it's not hard to confuse me. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  4. electra

electra Pathologist

Gregnickryanfan,That was GREAT for you to say.We all love our characters and things can get heated but only big people apologize .:thumbsup:

And I do agree that Valera would be more suited to do this but at the same time,Ryan and natalia are closer now .

Now that I think about it that Ryan confided in the person that was the MOLE!! But natalia has grown up since then given that she basically told Ryan to stop despite beign interested.

5. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Just want to clarify a couple of things in general concerning the rules because I think a refresher is needed.

Firstly, as always, the actors and actresses are off limits to personal attacks and the like, as well as the people who write/produce/direct etc. the show. Whether or not this has happened, I'm stating it for the record anyway.

Secondly. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. You can say whatever you want about the characters as they are not real. The bashing rule only really applies to the actors/TPTB/other posters and it's always been that way on this board.

That being said, remember the constructive criticism rule. Consider character Z a coward/diva/idiot/poorly developed/underutilized/overutilized/perfect in every way? Are X and Z the best things/worst things since sliced bread? Great, tell us why you feel that way.

As long as we offer an opinion and back up what we say, it's perfectly fine in this forum, no matter if the opinion is positive or negative as both are welcomed here.

If it's that big a deal and one simply cannot stand what is being said, there's a scroll bar, ignore function and simply avoiding threads that you know will make you angry or upset at your disposal. Also, if one feels the rules are being broken, PM/notify myself or FieldMouse and we'll look it over.

Thanks. :)

6. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I re-watched this to give it another shot and this is my follow up review.

There is something about having a relationship at work that just bugs me, whether it be the favoritism or possible issues that could arise with the rest of the team, IMHO I do not see why this was a smart choice.

Calleigh used to be a strong, independent woman who was not afraid to tell it like it is, and now she's reduced to a doe eyed, love struck, sappy person. She had a great edge when out in the field and ever since the relationship with Eric has some to light, her whole persona went right out the window. Stetler made it very clear when he though Eric and Natalia were an item that there would be no fratranizing....so I give it some time before he finds out and puts a kabosh to the entrie thing. I don't want to compare shows...but when this happened on Vegas it ruined two strong characters to the point that if they didn't leave the show would have gone further down hill.

On a happier note I loved seeing Ryan take change of the case as well as dealing witht he kid. Sometimes kids don't understand what is going on and he was kind and honest about why he couldn't have his suitcase.

The romper room scene was a bit awkward...not only with the words that passed between Ryan and Natalia but the whole layout of that room. The camera obviously had to sit at a different angle so it made it almost painful to watch, at least for me anyways.

I am glad that Kyle has a job and that he's understanding why it's a good fit for him. I'm still on the fence if I want to see him develop more or just be a mourge worker.

Dave, love the new guy. I really can't express how nice it is that they have someone that doesn't fit the typical norm for lab techs, he's a bit out there but really knows his stuff. I hope Dave is a round more because he definetly lightens the show for me.

7. GregNickRyanFan

I completely agree. I think this was one of the better scenes in the episode. I loved how Ryan thanked the little boy for his patience. So nice.

You know, now that you mention it, the layout of the room was a little strange. It was shaped oddly too. :lol: One thing that bugged me though that I forgot to mention was the shot of Natalia going up the ladder. They had to put the camera right on her chest. :wtf: That felt almost invasive. :lol: Very strange.

I agree, he's definitely a breath of fresh air.

8. Nightrider

Nightrider Witness

Saw the episode and I must say I wasn't that impressed with the plot. Sure it kept me guessing until just about the end (which has been a feat lately), but it seemed a bit contrived. Heck, if the slow-mo trace-processing scenes were sped up, and H spoke without the William Shatner pause (not gonna happen) this episode would have been 30 minutes long! :lol: Plus, Eric's whole daydreaming sequence and the flight attendant's frolicking scene were a bit out of place.
    On the plus side: LOVED the equal screen time everyone was given, especially Ryan! :drool: Loved the "romper room" scene! And the super crime-fighting father and son duo is growing on me. I give it a B-.

9. delkosgirl88

delkosgirl88 Hit and Run

I really liked this episode. I love that the entire team, including Frank, Valera, and the two lab techs, were given screen time. The writers should really do that more often. I hope that Travers and the other lab tech (can't remember his name) get to stick around for a while, I really like them. I think they add to the team dynamic.

I liked seeing Kyle in the morgue. He seemed to show a lot of compassion for Suzanne as he prepped her for autopsy. He kind of reminded me of Alexx, whom I very much miss.

Yay, Frank is back. I love his no nonsense attitude and witty remarks. "You're a suspect, buddy" and "Sky Cop" LMBO

Eric's comment to the pilot "Go lie to your wife" says a lot about how much Eric has changed since the first season. In earlier seasons, he was very much the playboy and now you can see that he is committed to Calleigh.

The "romper room" scene between Ryan and Natalia was amusing. I like the interaction between these two. "I don't have any proof, I just have a feeling but I dont want any proof" "Lalalalala" I hope we get to see these two together more.

I liked the scenes with Eric and Calleigh working together. I was hoping that the writers would be able to balance their personal/professional relationships (I may be an EC shipper but I still want Miami to focus on the cases) and I think that they have done a good job so far.

I was glad to see H back in the lab. Seeing him in the lab reminds me of the earlier seasons, before Speed died.

10. GregNickRyanFan

New tech's name is Dave. :) And I agree with you that they do add flavor to the team... along with Valera (whom I still maintain should be in the opening credits by now- why is Miami the only CSI show not to add a labrat to the opening credits? :lol: ).

11. anamarya

anamarya Witness

totally agreeing with you here.... real people have daydreams and as long as they are not like half and hour long and not affect their work performance nobody bugs them about the fact. maybe is they don't really have time for a normal private life (an that sadly happens a lot these days) the co-workers might grill the subject with the daydream in order to find out about it.
    and that brings me back to the so called "gossip" scene. IMHO everybody is gossiping about somebody. they might do it in respect to relatives, neighbors, friends,co-workers,but they do it. and not the only the women... believe me...i studied and now i work for a decent number of years in a manly environment.... men DO gossip.... not about pants, make-up and hair-do, but they do gossip about cars, vacations, promotions.... and clearly about relationships...especially when they don't have one in that moment.so, in conclusion my problem is....why doesn't Ryan have a girl??? that would make him go back to cars and football.
    anyway - again IMO - the 2 scenes are part of the "lets make CSI's more human" project.they showed the CSI's getting the calls, then parts of their lifes home (they still have to work on that because i didn't learned anything about Natalia yet and i do want to),now they try to convince us that the CSI's from Miami are not robots... they act like normal people but usually we don't see that because everything is finished in 5 seconds.
    is hard to show as about them as humans something from home first because they work double shifts.... so they don't have lifes.... (this is i believe the reason that peoplestart dating co-workers.. they don't have timeor energy togo out and meet people) and secondly because is would take a lot from the show time to get us home with the characters.

12. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

anamarya, i think it was out of character for Ryan. In season 4 they show us how he hate gossip. He know how it feeling if gossip focus on you, cuz he was there. And now he start gossip about his co-wokers, what if he wrong? I know he is right, but he should thinking how Calleigh and Eric should be feeling about this if it's not true. I don't mind if they show us that CSIs not robots, it's good, but all i see it's another advert for EC romance. I prefer that Ryan talk about football, because it would be about him, this way we find out that he likes sport and what kind of sport. But this gossip about EC was unnecessary.

The same about Eric's daydream. Whay he just don't tell Calleigh that he wish leave somewhere with her, far away from work and she can answer "that's sweet, i thinking about it too"? It would be better, than daydream on crime scene where he should focus on evidence.

I like this ep, not best, but very interesting. I like new lab tech guy Dave, i hope he don't disappear in future eps :lol: I love how Ryan interact with kid, i think he would be great father and kids never would be boring with him :) Slow motion while Ryan walking, just love it, i love Ryan Wolfe walk :) But this jacket? :wtf: i'm the only one who find it weird?

13. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

Maybe Ryan is bothered by their relationship.....? Maybe that's why he's gossiping?

Or the writers forgot what they wrote.

That seems a little more plausible.

But still, that scene was really funny. It was really the only part I liked besides the part where three of them were in the same room.

14. GregNickRyanFan

Ryan talking about sports. Hehe, that would be funny even though I don't like sports. Ryan walks into the lab and asks Delko (or anyone else), "So, how about those Dolphins." :lol: I would be cracking up.

I agree that would have been better if Eric had asked that rather than have the daydream.

No, you're not the only one. It looked a little weird to me too with the white trim around it. When I saw it, I was like "what the heck is he wearing?" :lol:

15. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I completely agree with this. It has never been farfetched to me to think of Ryan as one who wants to know a little more. Telling Cooper basically to hurry up because he has a suspect to take care of and not wanting HIS eye injury to get talked about is very different to having noticed something between his co-workers and wanting to have a little fun with the info. Also I don't see Cooper and Ryan as being as close as Natalia and Ryan. There are some things you talk about with some people that you definitely do not talk about with others. Plus I always see Ryan as a comic relief, which is desperately needed in this show, and I took it as it was: a light moment to make us laugh a little. Also I do want to know the extend of the team's knowledge on the EC relationship. I think it is especially relevant if further down the road Stetler comes along with his fraternization rule and he wants to include the whole team like when he did with the Eric's rolling papers. He might include them, he might not, but I still would like to know were the team stands on their knowledge when and if he comes around.