Danny & The Blue Flu

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Feb 19, 2009.

?

Was Danny right to call in with the blue flu?

1. Yes--I think he was right to stand up for what he believes in.

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. No--he shouldn't have left his co-workers to pick up his workload.

26 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. Maybe--I have mixed feelings about it.

27 vote(s)
    39.7%
  4. No opinion

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. stormymac

stormymac Hit and Run

I could be mistaken, but wasn't it stated in the episode that what the NYPD's going thru is a pay freeze? If so, that means that employees are still getting paid their regular salary, but they aren't getting any annual pay increases, bonuses and, probably, overtime pay. I just wanted to point that out because it seems that some people think the police are working without being paid at all. It could have just been the way the posts were worded, but I just wanted to make sure people realize that they are getting paid, well underpaid, but paid nonetheless.

(If I'm interpreting things wrong, just pretend I didn't open my big mouth):)

2. Izod1360

Izod1360 Hit and Run

I looked at a pay freeze as not getting payed at all. A salary freeze is when they don't give you that bonus or a raise the next year. That's how I looked at it.

3. stormymac

stormymac Hit and Run

A salary freeze and a pay freeze are the same thing.

4. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

Ok, I lied about not posting again. :lol:

Now i'm most definately totally, completely and utterly confused. :confused::confused:

Hawkes said that he saw it as an honour to work for the NYPD, even if they can't afford to pay him. Maybe he just meant overtime, but then overtime is voluntary and therefore nobody would have to walk off the job, just not agree to do it in the first place. This would be possible, as they had some sort of warning.

This is even more confusing than the Danny cop / crook family situation, where the Feds were watching him growing up (though he hasn't finished yet). I know Danny is cute, but surely the Feds have more to do than observe cops kids.

5. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Complicated business. Took the middle of the road, Mebbe.

Police are notoriously and chronically overworked and underpaid, NYPD especially, relative to other city and state forces in the country. They've suffered a famous rate of attrition. It is delicate where public services are in question, especially emergency response services, in that the public can be held hostage to the issue at all. But there also has to be support for those who make so many sacrifices and take so many risks on behalf of the public, and who often aren't properly compensated or recognized for it.

Realm of the show -- well, consider also the so-called public servant and corrupt politician that usurped funds from the city, contributing to the whole situation. Also noticed it was mentioned that 40% of the force had blue flu, so carefully making it the minority, for the purposes of the show. Kinda geared it to sympathize without siding, on one level.

However complex the issue, how Danny came across to me in the show was, unfortunately, somewhat selfish in the guise of self-righteousness, mis-focused, and putting "Protect and Serve the Greater Good," and 'don't leave your co-workers hanging,' behind dolla-dolla bill, 'yall. While it also could be plausible to say he got notification by phone, it still made him look an ass for leaving them there.

I think it's also interesting to contemplate where Hawkes was coming from, in being a physician and a surgeon, prior to becoming an ME, and then transferring to the Labs. In all his medical training, he would always put people first, obliged by his own oath.

And yet, the police get sworn in and take an oath upon receiving their badges too. Stella being old-school, felt compelled in her responsibilty to the oath first, no matter what. That was her principle, whereas Danny's was "let's be properly compensated for doing the work we swore to."

Tricky.

I think this is one reason I was hardpressed to really feel for him. That and the whole retro-fit cop family thing. How do I care for him or his family when they hadn't existed in the previous five years? It made it all convenient and barred sympathy.

Despite how he came across, I think Danny did in his mind also think it would be for the good of all of them.

But we'll never know how successful the action might have been, or on the other hand, what the real consequences in terms of potential victims might have been.

On the Devil's advocate side, just for curiosity's sake, it could also be argued that the city didn't capitulate, didn't even have a chance to, because there was a sudden windfall a la Dunbrook that enabled a monetary resolution to happen. Debatable what the Blue Flu would really have achieved, adn at what cost to both the police and the public. It could also be argued that the Blue Flu escalated matters in a way that allowed Dunbrook to essentially buy the NYPD, after putting the city in a difficult position to turn the 'donation' away.

I don't disagree. I also think while the public tends to sympathize they can also come to feel as pawns, that why should the everyday public work at all their respective jobs, pay taxes and then suffer lack of services and be put at risk? Also tricky for the police to say after the fact while canvassing or just in general please come forward, trust us, we do have your best interests first. You'd hope unions and management would never let things get that far.

As many have said, difficult to debate due to the stakes involved, and personal tolls taken, definitely.

From what I remember of the episode, the issue was Pay Lag, as opposed to a salary freeze or cap or reduction or anything.

As for Pay Lag:

From http://www.nyc.gov/html/opa/html/faqs/faqs.shtml

How does the pay lag work?
    Most employees receive an annual salary and are paid every two weeks on Friday. If you are one of these employees, you are paid for a two-week period up to and including the Saturday before pay day. This constitutes a one-week lag. Your pay was calculated one week before pay day and included your regular pay for both weeks of the pay period.

However, exceptions to your regular pay, including premium pay for overtime, shift differentials, or work on holidays during the second week of the pay period, were not reported until after your pay was calculated. These exceptions are adjusted on the following paycheck, resulting in a two-week lag for exceptions. You can see how the pay lag works on our pay calendar.

If you are paid on an hourly or per diem basis, your pay reflects days worked up to and including two Saturdays before pay day, constituting a two-week lag.

If you are paid weekly, your pay reflects days worked up to and including the Saturday before pay day, constituting a one-week lag. Exceptions to regular pay, including premium pay for overtime, shift differentials, or work on holidays, are paid on a two-week lag."

For maybe the purposes of the show, it would seem that the city was trying to find and/or manage funds, but in doing so incurred an additional lag in pay coresponding to time worked. IE we'll pay you, eventually, we're good for it, but sorry for your bills in the meantime, especially those balancing paycheque to paycheque...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Mixed feelings - I can see it from both sides. I know I wouldn't want to work if I wasn't getting paid. Although, what I can't figure out is why he showed up in the first place.

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

^He was probably at the bottom of the Blue Flu phone tree. :p

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The Blue Flu phone tree need to get their asses in gear. Even the press knew about it before Danny did. You'd think he'd have heard something about it on the radio on the way to the crime scene and called in before he got there. :p

9. coruption

coruption Dead on Arrival

I first wanted to say that I strongly feel that police,firemen should be compensated fairly for the work they do.A lot of times they are not paid fairly...

but,they way Danny handled that was RIDICULOUS!! Surely he had to know that the "blue flu" was going down before he got to the crime scene. So why in the hell would you go there,spend all of 20 seconds there,then leave?!? I thought that was a slap in the face to everyone else there who decided to stay there and work. I totally understood the anoyance Hawkes displayed when Danny decided to leave. I would have been pissed! Like others have said,if he had just called in,I may would have been slightly more empathetic to Danny's stand (I kinda understand why he did it),but to show up,and then leave seemed arrogant and offensive,so after that,it was hard to feel any sympathy for him.The scene in his apartment with Stella only made things worse. It DID seem like he was whinning!! And it grated my nerves terribly.in fact,I lost a little repect for Danny at that point. Danny has always been an emotional guy and it plays really well in some instances but sometimes,I wonder if Danny should really be a cop at all. I'm not bashing him,in fact,I do love his character.I just think that sometimes he doesnt think before he reacts to things.

What I'm more puzzled about is why Mac didnt say anything to him about that,especially after Danny compromised a case because he didnt show up to testify.

10. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I'm pretty sure when Mac was talking to Dunbrook he mentioned that he supported the cops that didn't come in for work - something about standing behind their convictions if I recall correctly.

11. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Yes, but Danny didn't not show up. He showed up and left, and then no-showed a court appearance. The criminal walked because of it, and it's hard to believe to Mac "The integrity of the lab is paramount" Taylor wouldn't have a problem with that. He's always prided himself on the team's dedication to justice, and in this case, a team member thwarted that justice to bolster his ego. Mac should have lost his mind. But he didn't because the writers were bound and determined to make it all about poor, victimized Danny Messer.

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Yeah, it was a cheap save. An easy solution that comes in last minute and makes everything all better.

Interesting...so it sounds like maybe their overtime wasn't coming through as fast as it should have been. Definitely understand the gripe given the mayor got a 10% raise--but it does make it hard to justify Danny sitting at home while a case he was supposed to testify in gets thrown out.

:lol: Poor Danny--that will only feed his insecurities further. :lol:

Does that seem out of character to anyone else? I mean, I could see Mac supporting it in theory, but when it affects the outcome of a case--like Danny's absence did with the court case--I just don't see him having much sympathy.

13. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Even if someone is refusing to work now, you'd at least think they'd follow through with something they started in the past, before the problem arose - going to court to testify about evidence you collected when you were getting paid appropriately isn't exactly the same as refusing to collect evidence while you're not being paid appropriately.

But maybe that's just me.

That was pretty lame. It's like they wanted some big drama, but they didn't want to have to deal with it for more than one episode - so they just said, 'Hey, this fixes it.' It's lazy, IMO. I'm sure the money will be significant to Dunbrook's story arc, but let's be honest - him giving the NYPD a check for $20 million would be fishy and potentially problematic whether or not the department is in chaos.

One of the problems with this show is the unwillingness to commit to serious storylines and follow through with realistic consequences. Yes, it's a procedural, but it can be a procedural with serial elements - each case can get solved in one hour, but they can still have things that tie episodes together. This budget issue could have been a background concern throughout the entire season while the rest of the show remained largely procedural. Technically, it is a background concern, but is Adam losing his job connected to this in any way? Just how frickin' long did those four vacations add to Adam's time at the lab? (The season started in the spring, and a few weeks ago they put in snow and wrapping paper to imply that we've passed Christmas - so how many months has it been?!) They didn't mention Adam's job being in danger during this episode, and I wonder if they ever will. And then they have this episode about budget cuts, but it isn't being done in an overall kind of way (if that makes sense).

So yeah, the quick fix at the end of this episode was another lazy move, which they seem to use a lot on this show. *sigh*

14. coruption

coruption Dead on Arrival

I agree entirely!! I was literally waiting for Mac to go to Danny's apartment,bust down the door like some deranged kung-fu master,and go ballistic on him!!

15. Cyriusly now...

Cyriusly now... Hit and Run

Is it too late to write this scene in somewhere? :thumbsup::guffaw: