Survivor? We Call It Camping ~ Canadian Thread #5

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dragonfly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Merry Christmas everyone :)

I hope Santa was good to everyone :)

Megan did you have to mention the coast to coast White Christmas :) I'm still feeling the effects of digging out from the 3 storms we've had in the less than a week. I think we've had over 50cm of snow and the usual average for the season is 120cm :eek: and we still have at least 3 more months to go :rolleyes: But is it nice to know that everyone in Canada will have a white Christmas this year. The first time since 1971.

2. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

ahhh, i hate boxing day. I wished we had black friday instead, so i don't have to wake up at 3:30 in the morning to work 12 hours and fight with cheap people. But one good thing, is it is a holiday so i made a lot of money.

I got the new timmies mug for christmas :thumbsup: It is cool this year, a replica of the paper one. Even has a rim. Also got a ps3 to add to my growing gaming collection.

3. Jacquie

So it's almost a close of another year for us. And what is more appropriate for us Canadians than talking about the weather :) So according to Environment Canada here are the top ten weather stories of the year

1) Rain makes for a soggy summer from Newfoundland to Ontario
    2) Ice loss in Arctic continues at unprecedented rates
    3) Ontario, Quebec endure one of the longest, snowiest winters in years
    4) New Brunswick sees worst spring floods in 35 years along the Saint John River
    5) Extreme cold grips Canada in second week of December
    6) Summer hail storms mash crops in British Columbia, the Prairies, Ontario and Quebec
    7) Massive March snow storm dumps up to 50cm of snow across Eastern Canada
    8) Hurricane season leaves Atlantic and Eastern Canada wind-whipped and wet
    9) January temperatures dip to -40C across Prairies and the North
    10) Ice storms in January and February cripple Prince Edward Island

A side note to #1. Toronto received 1,050 millimetres in rain and snow in 2008. This is the wettest year Toronto has seen in 70 years :eek: In 2007 we had a combined total of 580 millmetres making it the third driest year on record :eek:

We can only hope for better weather in 2009.

Happy New Years everyone :beer:

4. Jacquie

5. pinkjustice

pinkjustice Victim

I'm new here. Just thought I'd pop in and say that I'm Canadian and I love this thread, it cracks me up!

6. luf100

luf100 Coroner

10/25 on the first. Figures I don't guess St. Catharines/Niagara, the two places about a half an hour away from where I live.

I got 14/15 on the Canadian Stereotypes one, I would have gotten 15/15 but at first I thought we were supposed to guess what the stereotype was, not what the truth was. So I forgot to put Beaver instead of Moose. XD

7. allmaple

allmaple Judge

so something weird happens down here on the television...

when we watch house on fox for some reason the global tv broadcast comes through instead of fox. so that means we get the canadian commercials. last night a timmies commercial for roll up the rim to win came on, and i went nuts! my roommate and boyfriend just looked at me like this: :wtf:

and apparently, since this is an international school with a canadian student association tim hortons sends down FREE stuff!! around exam time they fedex coffee, hot chocolate mix AND tim bits!! i definitely have to figure out how to get in on that action this semester... :lol:

8. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

That's really cool about Timmies allmaple. Should make getting through the end of semester a bit easier, right? :lol:

This poor thread needs more love.

9. Jacquie

Ok so it's only March 1 but I saw the first sign that spring is just around the corner. I saw a Robin today :) :) :) :) It's still cold here for March and there is still lots of snow on the ground so I do hope the Robin survives ok.

10. gilsgal

gilsgal Lab Technician

Just thought I'd drop in a say a quick "HI" to my fellow Canadians. :beer:

Wow, I can't believe you saw a robin already Jacquie. That's incredible because it's so darn cold right now. I hope the little guy survives too.

I'm heading off to Florida at the end of this week. It's not really warm there yet, but 60's and 70's is better than -27c any day...lol.

11. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but it was gorgeous here today, around -10, I believe. We even bbq'd. Of course, I think we did that in January, too :lol: But anyway, I can't wait until the snow is gone :D We can't even see the grass yet :(

Also, my parents are leaving for New Zealand on wednesday. Like Florida, it's not really hot there yet, but it's better than here! *Is jealous*

12. Jacquie

Well I'm not headed off to anywhere warm and it's damn cold here at the moment. We've got a nasty wind chill factor but the current temperature is -13C. Add the wind it's -27C :eek: The only good think is it's been very sunny the last few days :) We've had some mild temps to help thaw some of the snow but we still have rock solid chunks of snow on most of the lawns, though we can see some grass.

Megan I'm jealous of you bbq'ing in the winter. We don't and I do miss it. We feed the birds on the back deck and we don't clear the snow off it so it's not really easy to bbq. Oh well we should be bbq'ing soon :)

13. allmaple

allmaple Judge

over a month without a post? ouch!

so my new professor for neuroscience sounds exactly like stuart mclean! its really creepy, i cant pay attention because the way he talks is so similar. he even kind of does his lectures in a storytelling way so its like im listening to vinyl cafe!

oh, and we get cbc down here on the tv! so i have been introducing the americans to rick mercer!

only 5 more weeks til back in canada, the snow had better be gone by then :shifty:

14. Jacquie

Well I can't say anything about your neck of the province allmaple but the snow in the Toronto area was gone until yesterday. We got a couple of cm of the white stuff. It should be gone by the weekend :)

15. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

I don't know if I've ever posted in here, so I thought I would. I just want to say hi to all the Canadian CSI fans out there :)

I hail from our nation's capital and I'm going to say we love CSI!

I think it's cool we have a Canadian thread here.

So that's it. Just wanted to say hi!