Talk LIMS #7: FINAL RESULTS!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Dragonfly, Jan 12, 2009.

1. fo_poozle

fo_poozle CSI Level Two

Re: Talk LIMS #7: Challenge One ~ Results!

sorry to see you go GregNickRyanFan and MacsLovlyAngl, i hope you'll join in next round too!!
    and congrats Geni and H_Miami_fan your icons were amazing!!

2. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Aw thanks for the votes on my icon, they're super appreciated. :adore: :)

But it's bittersweet as GregNickRyanFan and MacsLovlyAngl are out. :( [​IMG] Hope you guys had fun and hopefully you'll still be around for the voting and the next LIMS. :)

Congrats H_Miami_fan on your Dragonfly'sBeenDazzled award! (I love that :lol:)

3. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

Well done H_Miami_Fan and Speed_Cochrane, both of you icons were awesome. :D I'm totally shocked to still be in... :lol: Sorry to see you go GNRFan and Linda. :(

Oh, and Meg, I love the title of your award. ;)

4. MacsLovlyAngl

MacsLovlyAngl Head of the Graveyard Shift

Is okay... it was fun.:cool: I will most definetly be back to vote;)

5. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

Wow. I'm still in. I'm really shocked actually.

Congrats to H_Miami_Fan and Speed_Cochrane. Your icons were great. Goodbye to GNRFan and MacsLovlyAngl. Hope you guys had fun doing this.

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I knew I'd be first to go. :lol: So, I'm not too surprised especially since All I had on my laptop (which doesn't get internet) was photoscape which sucks for trying to brighten a pic :lol:. (since my PC is not working right now). I also sized it with photoscape and it cut off part of the icon, so that's why it looked so cramped (my original idea was to have the words going all around the pic as a frame, but it didn't work out that way lol). I tried to fix it, but at some point got frusturated and tired and said forget it and gave up. :lol:

I've also noticed that photobucket seems to be making my images blurry as of late. Does anyone know what causes photobucket to do this and how to fix it?

Roxi, what did you mean by the format degraded the image quality? Do you mean because it's a jpeg? I always make mine jpegs or gifs out of habit because that online resizer site doesn't work with pngs (which are probably the clearer formats). Though I did use photoscape for resizing this one. And the font definitely was more readable before uploading to photobucket. :lol:

It was fun while it lasted though. :lol: Congrats to everyone who made it through and good luck in the coming rounds. :) I'll most likely be back to vote in the next rounds. :) And maybe I might join LIMS #8 (providing that my PC is back up and running by then lol).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  7. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

The image was not an animation but saved as a .gif. The trouble is a GIFs is limited to 256 colors, max and depending on the resolution and quality compression selected at saving can actually reduce it to much less than that. If your image is not an animation .jpg, .jpeg, or .png is typically a much better format to save to, particuarly through the "save for web & devices" option that Photshop provides. It helps you control quality compression and the file handling much more specicially to taylor make your icons for the web.

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Oh, that's right it was a gif. :lol: I forgot that when I resize with photoscape it automatically saves as a gif and won't let me change the format. I guess I need to stop resizing in photoscape and just wait until I can borrow mom's laptop to get online and resize. :lol: Thanks for the explanation and fast response. :) I didn't know gifs were limited to a number of colors.

9. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Happy to help, hope when you get your PC back another format will work out for you. Usually the quality improves enough that it's clearly visible. Good luck with it!

10. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Linda and GNRF sorry to see you guys go :(

But congrates to Geni and H_Miami_fan :D

11. dopebabygirl

dopebabygirl CSI Level Two

MacsLovlyAngl &GregNickRyanFan sorry to see you two go ;)

Geni and H_Miami_fan great work :thumbsup:.

12. ILuvJonathanTogo

ILuvJonathanTogo Coroner

Sorry Im late with this; Sorry to seeyou go GNRFan and MacsLovlyAngl. Hope to see you guys back in the next LIMS :)

Congrats Geni and H_Miami_Fan

13. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I'm running late too sorry to see you go GNRFan and MacsLovlyAngl.

Congrats to Geni and H_Miami_Fan.

Looking forward to the next challenge. :)

14. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Re: Talk LIMS #7: Challenge Two

Talk LIMS #7 Challenge 2: No Textures
    For our second challenge, you'll be making an icon with no textures. For the purposes of this challenge, a texture is any layer (aside from the screencap) that is not a solid colour.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rules:
    ~ This is an anonymous challenge, so don't go posting your icon anywhere until this round is over.
    ~ Your icon must not exceed 100x100px. It should be in .jpg, .png or .gif format.
    ~ You must use only the images provided
    ~ No animations will be permitted.
    ~ Submit your icon by sending me (Dragonfly) a PM with the subject line LIMS Round 2 or similar.
    ~ If you are unable to send PM's, you may use the hotmail address in my profile. Just include TalkCSI in the subject so it doesn't go in the junk folder ;)
    ~ You may submit only ONE icon
    ~ If you wish to use your free pass for this round, you MUST send me a PM to let me know. Otherwise it won't count, and you will be disqualified.
    ~ The deadline for submissions will be Monday, February 9th. No extensions will be given.

15. ILuvJonathanTogo

ILuvJonathanTogo Coroner

Re: Talk LIMS #7: Challenge Two ~ Archie

Woo, Archie, this should be good :) Going to start working on mine ASAP.