Clare Taylor (Massive Plot Hole)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by CSIFANATIC, Jan 29, 2009.

1. CSIFANATIC

CSIFANATIC Hit and Run

Did anybody else notice that in episode 1.1 (Blink) When Mac was talking to the paralysed woman he said he used to sit with his wife, Clare, In hospital after 9/11.

But in Season 3, when Reed (Clare's son) asked Mac where Clare was buried Mac said that her body was never found.

Have I missed something, or did they simply find Clare, then lose her again... :confused:

HELP :lol:

2. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

I have always gotten the feeling that since they changed the show so much from season 1 to season 2, bascially season 2 is the beg. of the show and season 1, like doesn't count.

The writers have kind of written it off, i think its wrong for them to do that but that the feeling I've always gotten from season 1 to season 2 and beyond. Casue really nothing from season 1 has ever been brought up again.

Claire is a big part of that, as is Danny's storyline from season 1, we have heard nothing ever again about the Minhas shooting or his relatioship with Mac. We left season 1 w/ Mac on the verge of firing Danny and season 2 its like nothing ever happened. I don't think we will ever be told why Mac used to sit with Claire in the hosptial, was it becasue of 9/11 or was she just sick and had to go to the hospital a lot. I doubt we will ever be told.

3. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

He said, 'I used to sit like this with my wife. Her name was claire, she did on 9/11, no body saw it coming.'

He jsut meant he used to sit in silence etc, taht i am guessing, but he didnt mean that he used to sit in the hospital with her after 9/11 ;)

4. Enhinti

Enhinti Rookie

That's what I thought to.
    But you know, sometimes I do get the feeling that the writers have forgotten about Claire. I mean Mac wasn't "over" her yet in season two, but he didn't have a picture of her on his desk or show Reed a picture from his wallet.

5. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Excellent thread.

We talked about this inside the Smacked thread because this intrigue us a lot.
    Personally i supposse he went back so late from the lab he arrived when she was already asleep. So it was nice for him to watch her resting

That's why i think it would be great to have Claire back even if it is in flashbacks to know more about her and how she felt about having her husband just a few hours and even arriving home without him there

Mac loved her but how about her? Was she happy?

Debbie

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. csiwendy07

csiwendy07 Dead on Arrival

I was wondering the same thing about that part in 'Blink'.

Didn't Mac cheat on Claire with Quinn? I'm pretty sure I saw in one episode where he mentioned that he kissed Quinn while he was married to Claire and that he really regretted it.

He also said that Claire's body was never found. I wonder if they'll make that into a story line in the future? Maybe Claire wasn't happy with Mac so she acted like she died in 9/11 and ran away. lol. Just thinking out loud :)

I really like this thread. :)

7. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I think a lot of us would be angry if they did that one, I've seen others say it on here. There's a feeling it would be disrespectful to the real victims...

My theory: She was sick before 9/11, like maybe she had cancer or something, then got better, then died in the towers. Mac could have sat with her if she was sick before.

They also mention in Dead of Winter that he visited Claire's grave but he told Reed there wasn't a body. One of those empty memorial graves? I know the books aren't totally canon...

Re Quinn, he just kissed her, then regretted it right away. I don't know if that's cheating or not. I think he'd also been drinking that night...

8. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

It was in 4.17 Like water for Murder. He regretted it. But the question is not if he regretted but why. Maybe he idealized their relationship and their marriage wasn't as happy as he seems to think (mind plays tricks when you receives a shock like that)

Also in Recycling Stella told him she had never seen him without a tie (maybe indicates repression??) and Stella did know him before Claire dissapeared

yes. And as i sadi before i would prefer they found Claire's DNA. But there is an obvious need of knowing more about Claire. Maybe some storyline with a relative? It could work. Some relative who disliked Mac for not being enough hours with her.? It could work

9. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

I got the feeling that the guy who wrote the first 3 books had never watched the show. He had Danny descended from a long line of cops. The guy who wrote the last book was better, Danny was in therapy and Flack was struggling with the pain from his bomb injuries. I liked the way he told the reader exactly where the book fitted into the series.

10. csiwendy07

csiwendy07 Dead on Arrival

There's not an episode called "Dead of Winter", but I'm interested in seeing whatever episode you're talking about.

11. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

I don't remember him saying that he sat with her after 9/11, just that he sat up and watched her while she slept. He also mentioned that she died on 9/11.

As for the books, my hubby reads Star Trek books - they have the same problem there - some writers do NOT know the stories, and really mess things up. Other writers are obviously well-versed in the stories, and present awesome books to the readers. I guess that's the way it goes.

I honestly don't remember him mentioning that he did anything with Quinn while he and Claire were married. But I also don't really know all the episodes as well as some of you do.

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Yeah, it was obvious that KRAD (the writer of the last book) really knows the show. I like how he dealt with Danny and Flack, and the other characters, too.

Didn't Quinn kiss Mac, but we were supposed to think he pulled away? It's been a while since I've seen "Like Water for Murder" so I might be misremembering, but I thought she initiated it.

13. nver

nver Victim

I would also like to see some of Claire in flashbacks. She's so much a part of Mac's "inner life of the mind" it would be fascinating to see if "reality" measures up to his memories of her? Did she work? Why didn't they have kids? Sounds like he may have sat up with her a lot because of illness -- as a writer there are a zillion things that could be done! I think it would flesh out the character for all of us.

14. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I always thought Mac sat up with her when he got home late and she was sleeping. Either that or she was ill prior to 9/11 (cancer, miscarriages, maybe?) and he would sit with her in the hospital.

nyer - in Consequences, Mac told Reed Claire was 'in the World Trade Centre' on 9/11 but we don't know if she worked there or had a job somewhere else and was just there for a meeting or something.

It's annoying how Claire and her and Mac's marriage is so rarely mentioned, it's such a big part of Mac's life and who he is. Same goes for Danny and Tanglewood/Louie, and Stella and her childhood, both of which haven't been much explored either.

As for whether Mac and Claire were as happy as Mac seems to remember....well, no marriage is perfect. I'm sure they had problems at times like everyone else.

I hope they don't do a 'Claire ran away because she was unhappy with Mac' storyline though, I would prefer Mac's history with Claire to be revealed through his relationship with Reed, or talks with Flack/Stella. It would be interesting to see a story where some trace of her was found, and seeing how Mac would react to that.

The Quinn thing....they kissed, but it's implied that it was Quinn who initiated it, and Mac always regretted it. Mac told her it was a mistake, and he loved his wife, and Quinn said he never let her forget that, which makes me think Mac must have talked about Claire a lot.

15. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

That's because it's not an episode. Check the novel titles. It's the second one I think. IDK though about the guy not knowing the show. I haven't read 'em in a while lol. Maybe that's why they aren't canon lol