Which storyline(s) would you choose for a 'do over'?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jan 16, 2009.

1. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

Gosh, I agree with ALL of you in ALL matters. Hawkes in Help, Linds' secret, Louie's fate, the idea of All Access, Introduction of Lindsay, D/L the way they go etc..... all agreed!! :eek:

I personally think NY gets weaker in writing on a weekly basis. The first two season were generally really good, but then 3 and 4 started to lower in quality, which makes me loosing interest more in more. The tongue-in-cheek-LV-style and the stylish-beautiful-style of Miami are missing in this show, and I can't really see the writers figured out a style of their own yet, except you taking that new Everyone-hooks-up-with-anyone-Soapy-style into account... :rolleyes:

First, they lost the blueish style, then they got Lindsay and then they lost the opening sequence and recut the theme. WTF??? :wtf:

I personally would like to add that the Stella/Mac relationship, though I am not much for them getting hooked up, just having a brush with the idea once in a while, got inconsistent over the time. One time, he's offering her a room and she kisses him on the cheek, and one time, you hardly see them speak/deal with big issues in their lives. I mean, that's not just for this pairing the case, D/L was on/off on 100% basis, too, at the beginning. I don't like that kind of story telling...

Bottom line: The fact that they got no consistent character development in whatever way... Louie, Lindsay, Flacks and stellas sister etc.... is pissing me more and more off. Period!

2. Enhinti

Enhinti Rookie

I think that the style they were going for was the "Goth" type. I know "Gangs of NY" "Dick Tacey" "Batman" ... Sometimes they get it right other times they don't.

3. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

If you ask me, they mostly get it wrong... :confused:

The style and writing used to be great, now quality changes on a weekly basis. And what sucks on top of it, a bit OT to mention here, but to me it's as essential as writing... THE EDITING!! Got worse and worse over the time. The cuts are visible! All the time, and that sucks and stops the flow... :shifty:

4. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I would like to have seen how the shooting of the undercover officer in On the Job, and Flack's siding with Danny, affected Flack's relationship with his superiors, and other detectives/uniform cops. The superiors of the department, Gerrard in particular, think Danny's a f*ck up, and we know some of them advised Mac not to hire him. How would this affect Flack's relationship with those superiors (assuming Gerrard was Chief of Detectives at the time) And what about other detectives - if I remember right, cops were angry at Danny in OTJ. It would be interesting to see how Danny's actions affected Flack. We know he took heat when Mac arrested Truby, so I think he must have taken even more heat for siding with a suspected cop killer, even if it had been an accident.

I'd also like to learn why Mac, a very by-the-book guy in s1, hired Danny, when people warned him not to, and why those people didn't think Mac should hire Danny.

Oh, and mentioning Gerrard, I'd love to know what happened to him after he shot that rapist who attacked his daughter in Personal Foul. Jesse, I think his name was. I think he vanished into that Black Hole of Continuity, along with Louie Messer. :rolleyes:

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

That's something I've thought about lately - the show can't seem to latch onto something that makes it stand out from the crowd. Vegas is the original and has its own sort of style (plus, they sometimes research stories for years before making an episode - NY seems to throw stories together sometimes, not even bothering to make sure it all makes sense), and Miami's cartoonish, primary-color-saturated style is distinctive. NY just kind of fades into the background, especially in a television landscape filled with crime dramas. Inter-office romance isn't going to be the wind in the show's figurative sails when there are shows like 'Grey's Anatomy' (which show a lot more of that kind of thing) that viewers could flip to instead.

So I wish they could 'do over' some of their decisions from early in the show in order to give NY a distinctive, unique edge that no other show on TV has.

6. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

Exactly my point! Anything you said! I really feel that creativity is lacking in story and character development and that this random collection of Grey's Anatomy merry go around, the tough CSI cases and the flat attempts of story arc telling really starts to turn me away from the show.

It was Mac and Stella's chemistry that got me hooked me up, but it was the dark look and the serious story that kept me watching. Now I see all things flying out the window.

Have there been huge writers and executive producer changes in the past? I haven't followed that one closely, but leave alone Gary! Why does HE not do sth against this mess? :confused:

7. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

I think that at the beginning, New York did have it's own thing going. The whole blue filter that made everything look cold and harsh, the brooding aspect of the characters, the "only in New York" cases and storylines and the unique interractions between the characters were it's own thing.

Sadly, they opted to brighten it up and make it generic. If not for the stock shots of Manhattan and the skyline, it could take place in any major US city on the East Coast. I agree that they've made it something without an identity of it's own.

Too much glitz and vapid, sloppily researched storylines, too much office romance, too much going for the lowest common denominator.

Honestly, I don't think that anything from the beginning needs a "do over" so much as many of the newer storylines and episodes need to be revamped to match what the show was in the beginning.

Honestly, I was watching the Marathon on Spike, with the early Season 1 eps, and I was reminded what drew me to the show in the first place. Honestly, this is not the same show that started out in 2004. Yeah, it has the same name and the same actors portraying the same characters or characters with the same name, but it's not the same.

8. Sammey

Sammey Victim

I think the whole Lindsay thing could've been handled way better. Don't get me wrong, I love Lindsay. She's actually my favorite female character but her storyline was way to rushed. I feel like they only put her on the show as a love interest for Danny. Same with Angell, actually, but, 'yknow, with Flack. Which is kind of sad because both characters had a lot a potential.

9. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Well, technically Angell was in seven episodes in season 3 and one in season 4 before she even interacted with Flack, so I wouldn't necessarily say that's why they put her on the show to begin with.

If that's all they limit her to at this point, it's a shame, but luckily they've had her work cases separately from him and haven't had them flirting all of the time.

10. Enhinti

Enhinti Rookie

I agree with Faylinn.
    Angell has a lot to do and has her own personality completely apart from Flack. She can hold her own in a situation, and she is helping Stella get that Greek guy. That's what makes her such an interesting character.

Linsay is too piece meal. They start something with her, develop her character a little and then bomb! nothing. She becomes a paper doll.
    They then start something again, have her banter with Flack or what ever and then bomb! nothing.
    After all that, the only thing that Lindsay has as a character is that she is from Montana (so what?) and that she is makes anything and everything a demonstration.

11. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I'd say the whole bringing in Lindsay thing should be done over....in my own opinion, I wish they had never brought her in to begin with, but even if they felt they had to, why not wait until mid to late season? Hawkes was new in the field and they wouldn't have been lacking a CSI, and by bringing Lindsay in so early there really wasn't any chance for us to see Hawkes in his rookie year.

The whole Danny/Louie storyline should be redone too....the episode was a good one, but they didn't get to talk throughout the whole episode, which really would have made the final conversation between Danny and Louie much more memorable (even though it was excellent as it was). Plus, they should have been telling us Louie's status in the next episode...or at least later in the season. Its ridiculous that we haven't heard of him since the episode...

Those are the two big ones that really bug me at this point....

12. Enhinti

Enhinti Rookie

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Someone mentioned Louie again!

Oh, cSiNyFrEaK30, I totally agree with you.
    I wish we got more Louie before he was beaten up and put in a coma.

I so want more of Louie. I hope he wakes up from his coma. I want him and Danny to get together again. It wouldn't jeopardize Danny/Flack relationship at all.
    I love Louie so much. I cried my eyes out when Danny was talking to him at the end.
    Bring Louie back!

13. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

I would like "Heroes" could be re done. Aiden NEVER sould have dissapeared. NEVER

Also 3.01 we really didn't to watch Mac's sexual intercourse:scream::scream::scream:

I can say the same about Stella and Frankie making out. Not need that. really:wtf: (argh i need a barf bag:lol:

Debbs:bolian:

14. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

That was pretty much the first thing I thought of. Can you imagine how different the show would have been had she still been on it?

If I could do over anything, I would choose the whole bringing Lindsay in story line. Just cut that all out. Honestly if they wanted another female character I think they could have waited a while before bringing another one in. I'm sure Stella would have done fine.

15. Loafie

Loafie Rookie

I would do over the Aiden story. I didn't like Aiden but I thought it could be handled better. Mac could've been a bit harsher I thought. He was harsh with Danny when he did something wrong.

I think I'm with everyone else on this one (Lindsay). I thought when they brought her in they should have had more of a background on her. Wouldn't her "dark secret" have been in her file from Montana seeing as she worked there first and I don't suppose it would have just appeared from nowhere in New York.