"The Grave Shift" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Jan 18, 2009.

1. GaelicFreak

GaelicFreak Dead on Arrival

He loved his mom, and he felt that Ray took her away.

2. CSI ADAM

CSI ADAM Hit and Run

Anybody know what Riley placed on Nick's desk at the end? I'm trying to figure out.

3. ClarkF1

ClarkF1 Hit and Run

Great episode.

The only thing that was slightly off was the whole Evidence Clerk thing which was basically there to show Hodges' initial animosity towards Langston.
    It seemed off when usually the CSIs take their evidence direct to Hodges or Wendy.

Loved the Prof's frustration with the finger print and his whole case full of powders.

I liked that he kinda solved both cases and his backing away from the couple at the end as others have already pointed out was great.

I think LF is going to be a great asset to the cast. Seeing him billed first was a surprise.

4. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but there was a scene near the end where the camera panned to Greg and Riley doing paperwork in the break room. Nick and Ray walked by (on their way to Archie's office) and Nick looked back towards the breakroom. I believe it was that moment that Nick decided to share his office with Riley and Greg because as I said they were doing their paperwork in the crowded breakroom

5. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Does anyone remember reading/hearing anywhere if the Pilot episode for CSI was actually supposed to be titled "the grave shift"? For some reason that's been bugging me because I thought I heard that a long time ago. It's kind of apropos that this episode has that title, because it almost seemed like a pilot episode for a new show.

6. byline

byline CSI Level One

Not only that, but Ray was lecturing him on how to behave. I thought that scene was so painful, so poignant, yet so real. Real life isn't "The Waltons," and sermons often fall on deaf ears because first and foremost, the person is hurting and so isn't ready to hear a message, even if it's the right one. Not a false note in that scene . . . or the entire episode, for that matter. Bravo!

7. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

Also I think it made Riley's words to him about how they are not social workers ring true for him. He tried to help the kid with some friendly advise and got spit on for his trouble. Lesson learned.

8. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Seeing Greg with the toy dinosaur made me think of the show Firefly. (Which coincidentally costarred Gina Torres who is married to Mr. Fishburne.) In I think the pilot or one of the first episodes the character of Wash was playing around with toy dinosaurs on his console

Nick eating the fly was just.....ewww. I hope that wasn't a real fly that George had to eat.

I loved the scene of Ray walking through the lab, with his pants and shoes all mucked up and half a tie. I couldn't stop giggling.

The humor was the thing that I really enjoyed throughout the episode.

9. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Just unsticking feel free to continue the discussion. :)

10. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Lol! So true! I can totally see the parallels between Wash and Greggo. That said, for some reason I thought that Wash was playing with the dinosaurs on 'Out of Gas,' not the pilot... and back on topic,

I strongly suspect that they would have stopped partway through that scene when they switched to a camera shot away from Nick so that GE had a chance to take another spoon or something.

As to the kid spitting on Ray, I can see how that would seem realistic, but it still really grossed me out. It's one thing to not want someone's advice, but to spit on them like that... That was just too rude, IMO. When I rewatched the episode, I had to skip that scene.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Maybe it was a gummy fly. :guffaw:

As for the spitting scene, why must shows and movies always show someone spitting? Every time I see someone's spit on tv/movie it reminds me of that disgusting spitting scene in "Big Daddy". I can't even watch that movie a second time because of that scene. Disgusting. :lol: Seriously, why couldn't the kid have just ignored him and gotten up and left instead of spitting in his face. Gross.

12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Both stories interesting. The creep who blew up the husband and the house. Poor Dr. Langston horrifed by the charred corpse, and the piece that fell off EWWWW:( Super Dave knda of stunned by the whole thing. And cutting off his tie:eek: The little kid who's mom was a loser thief, but he still loved her.

Dr. Langston:: The new kid on the block, trying to fit in and hoping everyone would welcome him:confused:

Nick::The shinning star of this episode. so kind, polite, considerate & helpful to Langston. "You don't have to wear a tie" cute:) Nick treated him as an equal. He would be a great leader, because he has the ability to be sensitive to different personalities.Good job Nicky:bolian:

Doc:: Also warm and friendly to him!

Hodges:: Acting all jealous and weird [missing Grissom] talked down to him, insulting him, till the corn meal experiment "I'm impressed" which Langston tried to do!

Cath:: A bit bossy and abrasive to him as well. She seems bitter and angry, but realizing she's lost 3 CSI's that meant alot to her & two are together, and happy and one who got killed, and she is devastated by that tragedy. But be a little more compassionate & understanding to the new guy, but the last scene she did lighten up "we're off the clock";)

Brass, Greg & Archie:: All rather neutral towards him and where's Greg's old funny personailty? poor guy:( they all seemed to just be going through the motions!

Ecklie:: Asking Cath about Gils' condo. "He didn't sell it" Cath "In this market" why would the writers slip that little tid-bit in, he could have asked "Have you heard from Grissom"?, or "how are they doing in Costa Rica" unless down the line when Grissom returns for a guest spot he'll still have his home. Maybe Nick is staying there with Hank:D

Good ep. LF is smooth, appealing and likeable. He's proficent as a new CSI, and good acting for sure very impressive, but does he really come across as beliveable, or is he just a good actor? It seemed like a different show, with some of the old CSI's still around:confused:

I miss Grissom:(

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  13. GregNickRyanFan

I disagree about Cath. She didn't seem bossy or abrasive at all to me. I actually thought she was being pretty nice to him. She was just telling him to make sure he kept a change of clothes by the bed and all of that because that's what all the CSI Level Ones get told. Warrick told the same thing to Greg and it helped him a lot.

14. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Bossy & Abrasive? :wtf: Were we watching the same episode? At the beginning, she was trying to give him helpful hints on being ready when he's 'on call'. If you remember, Warrick told Greg the same thing back in early rollout - in an even more brusque manner. Her telling Ray that he was "wasting the taxpayers' money" was a JOKE, albeit a very strange one (reminds me of Riley's joke to Catherine about having an extra bottle of urine in her locker) They were trying to show that these people still don't know each other yet. Overall, I thought Catherine was very warm & quietly observant in this episode. Plus, I think they were trying to establish that Catherine's going to have a different way of supervising than we've seen before - both from Grissom and from when she was on Swing. After all, she's in a whole different scenario here. When Grissom took over, the entire CSI team was very seasoned & established, and knew how to do most everything (only needing subtle guidance from Grissom). When Catherine headed the Swing Shift, she had both Nick & Warrick - again two very seasoned CSIs. Now, Catherine has one experienced CSI, two with some experience, and a total newbie. Yes, she's going to get some help from Nick along the way, but I think they have to have her 'in charge' in a different kind of way now.

Because THAT'S Ecklie's character. Conrad wouldn't think about asking those more 'normal' questions you'd hear from someone else. (even though he's getting better at it.) Besides, he was walking into the office just as it was cleared, so that's probably what was on his mind at the time. He was responding to Cath's comment that some of Gil's stuff would still be stored at his house. Plus, rather than hearing "how's he doing" - "oh he's fine" (because it's Ecklie, and you know Cath wouldn't really tell him everything), it gave the viewers some answers as to what's happening with his condo.

The one thing that still puzzles me:
    Archie & Riley's look towards each other when Ray sees his book on the counter. I'm thinking Archie had just set it out there to try and impress Ray, and his answer that he had read it was untrue. Too bad Ray didn't ask some questions about the book that Archie couldn't answer, revealing that he didn't actually read it. Or maybe that will be coming in a future episode.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  15. GregNickRyanFan

I got the impression that it didn't belong to Archie in the first place. I thought maybe it was Grissom's copy and he left it there for everyone else to read as sort of a get to know the new guy type of deal. :lol: