"The Grave Shift" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

Somehow I don't think they'd report Warrick's death as an on the job accident with OSHA. Reason for claim? He accidentally stepped in front of the bullets the Undersheriff were firing at him. He's always been an accident waiting to happen :lol:.

I totally loved this episode. I love Ray. He's like the Nutty Professor. I think it's really great that they are showing him as someone who is coming in to learn and not a know-it-all. It just makes it that more endearing to me.

I think Riley needs to learn some people skills. I understand why she said what she said to Ray but she just seemed a bit harsh.

Nicky was great as a teacher in this episode. I like the direction they are taking with him. Could stand to see more of Greg though.

Brass as always is great. And Catherine is stepping up nicely in the leadership role. I know she didn't get top billing but I think that's just the way show biz is and not a reflection against her.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

They do it all the time. I've even seen Warrick or Nick telling an officer standing with them to "arrest him/her".

good catch. I didn't notice that.

That scene reminded me of how Grissom reprimanded Riley for questioning that boy without a guardian present (or whatever). Riley had almost the same tone as Grissom did with her. :lol:

3. DaveR

DaveR Victim

I would guess she was in a scene that was cut. Battlestar Galactica used to (and probably still does) do that a lot. I guess it's kind of fitting that BSG writers wrote this ep!

Dave

4. DaveR

DaveR Victim

I'm pretty sure (though someone who knows can certainly correct me!) that this would only apply to actors in the main credits. Vassey was listed as "Special Guest Star" after the opening credits, so I'm pretty sure she would have to have been in the episode to be credited.

My guess is her scene was cut.

And so I don't seem too much like a credits-critic, I just want to say that I *loved* last night's episode. Fishburne is going to be a great addition to the cast, and I loved how the regulars interacted with him. I also loved the breakfast scene. This definitely harkened back to old-school CSI.

Can anybody point me to an interview or tell me if Fishburne has said why he decided to take the role? The wife and I were talking about that last night, and trying to guess whether it might be a little stability, or maybe family life (having a regular job makes it easier than travelling the country/world doing movie shoots) or something like that?

Dave

5. GregNickRyanFan

On the bottom of the screen, there should be a drop menu that takes you to different areas of the board. If you go to the CSI Files News Items area, you might find the article there. :)

6. Elayne

Elayne Police Officer

I think one of the best scenes was near the end when Ray s-l-o-w-l-y backs away from the quarrelling couple. :)

7. byline

byline CSI Level One

My husband and I both felt this was a wonderful episode (and I find myself a little bit surprised in feeling that way, given how much I loved Grissom). There are two main reasons why:

1. The series got back to its roots by focusing primarily on the science of the cases. There was also a subtext of the underlying humanity of the victims and their survivors, questions over who the suspects were, and the interactions between survivors/suspects and the CSIs. LIttle in the way of soap opera between the leads. It was mostly relaxed camaraderie, with the exception of Hodges (who, like the audience, still misses his Grissom). Yet thankfully, they resolved that tension fairly quickly . . . and, I thought, believably. Ray realized he had to stroke Hodges' ego a bit, and also involve his "Watson" side in order to engage him in the same way Grissom had. And it worked, not only for Hodges, but also for us, too.

2. Ray's introduction as a CSI was superb. As my husband noted, to introduce him as this quiet, introspective character -- yet still quite different from Grissom -- was a huge risk, and I think it paid off beautifully. I confess that after Petersen's last episode, I was feeling all "doom and gloom" about this series. After last night, I'm surprised -- but happy -- to say that that feeling has vanished completely. I'll be tuning in next week!

8. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I just re-watched the episode online and noticed a few different things.

As to the fetal pig, I have a feeling that Hodges just took it from Catherine's office. That seems like a very Hodges thing to do. Then when Catherine walks by, she glances at the office and sees what happened, and she smiles because she's alright with Ms. Piggy's move.

Also, was that a dinosaur toy that Greg was unloading from a box in the office moving scene?

One of the things that I especially liked in the episode was the music, especially during the experiment. Very fun, almost jazzy and it really captured the mood of the show returning to a new, happy beginning.

It felt like this episode got more of the amusing banter that past seasons seem to have lacked. Great team interaction, and Riley and Ray are both fitting in great. My only complaint is that there wasn't enough Greg. But for an episode this good, even that is forgivable. :)

9. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

I'm posting this without reading any comments, I just wanted to get my first impressions down while they are fresh!

I absolutely adored this episode. I must admit I felt a lot of trepidation when I went to watch it, but that was soon at ease and I fell into the story, and the characters as I normally do.

I like the character of Ray, I think he is being so elegant in the way he handles the incongruity of his age vs his position, and staying 'off the clock' to practice fingerprinting, that was endearing.

I love Nick's 'teaching' style, he's going to be a wonderful mentor, not only to Ray but to Riley as well, the whole team really. And he had me in tears, at the end, with him, Greg and Riley unpacking in their office. That moment just felt so right, I can't describe it. I was weeping. And I love what he said about energy, it's something I believe in, and identify with. (Personally, I'm moving to a place that holds negative energy, maybe that's why I reacted so powerfully to this scene?). Hodges bringing in the pig was the master touch.

I love the bomb on the roof, and of course Greg has to check it out! I'll never forget his comment in A La Cart! The scene reminded me of Mythbusters!

I think the team have a real camaraderie, and the diner scene was flawless, fly eating and all. As a team they show real cohesion, they work together, eat together, have fun together, laugh together, learn together.

Langston still has a lot to learn, but he's eager to learn it. Riley is too young to be so cynical, maybe the team will bring balance to her life? Nick is stepping up to the plate where Grissom once stood, but instead of filling his shoes, he's wearing his own pair. Greg is still going strong, still a little daunted by the sheer size of some of the crime scene, but letting nothing faze him and enjoying the job as much as ever. Catherine is mellowing, and growing on me again, I think this time around as supervisor she'll be thoughtful and meticulous.

I thought I wouldn't be able to watch CSI after Grissom left. But I already can't wait for the next episode. But I'll be sure to have tissues ready, just in case I need to cry again. Those little poignant moments hit me right where it hurts.

10. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

That is possible about the fetal pig. She could have given it up to him to put in there.

Yeah it was a dinosaur toy. I wondered about that too, but then again it is Greg. :lol:

11. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I enjoyed the episode as a whole. Although Nick eating that fly was a bit gross but kinda funny too.

Oh yeah the dinosaur toy was SO Greg and it was cute.

12. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Why was the teenager mean to Ray at the end? *isn't sure*

13. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

14. GregNickRyanFan

haha yeah, that was funny. :lol:

I kind of noticed the dino toy, but forgot about it until now. :lol: Love that Greg is still a kid at heart. :lol: Maybe the dino toy was a gift from Grissom? :lol:

15. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member