"The Grave Shift" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Jan 18, 2009.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

:lol: Yeah, that was funny.

I was a little upset that Victoria Pratt didn't have any scenes with Lauren though.

Yeah, I noticed that later. I just wasn't paying attention when I was typing the review from my written notes. :lol:

2. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

Not impressed that Marg was not at the top of the credits. After 8 and a half years, one would think she'd get top billing.

And that better not be Catherine's fetal pig. Or maybe Miss Piggy is doing timeshare? One day here, the other day there. LOL

3. Backtracker

Backtracker Victim

Liked the episode and loved LF. I've got a crush on Liz so I was happy to see her name in the credits. But... where the heck was she? I miss her. On the plus side, lots of Hodges this week.

4. LaSquisita

LaSquisita Rookie

You know when some one you really like gives you something you really don't like, you pretend it's nice because it came from a friend? Maybe now that Gil is gone, Cath said bye-bye to Miss Piggy too. I sure would. :guffaw:
    LaSquisita

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  5. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

My short summary:
    * At first glance, this is a totally new show that’s very familiar. I don’t mean just with the cast changes. You’ve got a newbie still learning how to do the simple things, like fingerprinting; We get to see conversations between two CSIs on their way to a new scene (something I think we’ve only seen once before – when Cath & Nick went on a ‘road trip’ back in season 7); We get to see all of the CSIs together – in the middle of the episode, no less – eating lunch in a diner, then going back to their jobs; We get a CSI helping Doc perform part of an autopsy; We see most of the CSIs sitting on a stakeout as they wait for a suspect to arrive; We see that now there’s a mysterious ‘evidence clerk’ where all of the evidence gets brought to. I think we’ve seen that only once – back in Play with fire, which is why Catherine put the jar of green liquid under the fume hood in the first place, because the evidence room was locked.

* It’s interesting to watch Catherine’s quiet supervision this time around. Back when she was on Swing, she had Nick & Warrick who were already very experienced CSIs at the time. Now, she’s got one experienced CSI, two with some experience, and a real newbie, who needs to learn it all. I really like the way they’re not having this as just moving on without Grissom in the same manner, but making it a whole new thing. Grissom never had to really supervise any of his team, just give them occasional hints and comments.

* Someone recently said on one of these TalkCSI forums that Catherine didn’t ever really care about any of ‘the team’. Watching her first full shift as supervisor of Grave Shift, I totally beg to differ.

* So, we’ve finally returned to discover what this show is really all about – the field of forensic science. In this episode, it was basically following Ray’s first day as an official Crime Scene Investigator. That in itself was very refreshing to watch.

My very extensive review and summary - can be found here

6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Ummm, Kaylyne, I really don't think you got it across how much you loved all the personal interactions with the cast. :lol: You had me cracking up.

I read your review and I agree with it wholeheartedly. You said it all.

Brass, so love this guy. "I'm guessing only one of them calls back" :lol:

I was loving Hodges in the epi too.

However, why did they have Liz Vassey in the guest star credits when she wasn't on the show?

There was a lot of humor in this episode.

7. ACW1129

ACW1129 Police Officer

I enjoyed it :thumbsup:
    Fishburne seems to be having fun in this show, while also being serious when necessary :)
    The corn bomb was COOL :cool: (Damn, now I sound like a bomber :lol: )
    Riley was a bit of a bitch this episode though :(

8. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Well I did enjoy the show as well. I did like the fact that where Ray was new, he messed up several times do to the inexperience he obviously has. But it was also nice how Nick helped him along yet at the same time, gave him the opportunity to figure things out for himself.

Enjoyed Hodges' slight resentment toward the new guy and the screen time he got in this episode, but then, I'm happy enough just seeing him. His attitude was typical given the circumstances. *snickers* And Ray called him MR... the look of confusion on Hodges' face after that...

The restaurant scene in the middle was refreshing to see and the fact it was in the middle of the show and not the end.

I really liked the good vibe comment from Nick toward the end when he, Greg and Riley were in there "new" office...I wouldn't expect anything less from him.

As for Brass and his part? Well, Brass in general is just great and once again didn't disappoint.

So did they skip the typical opening one liner now that Grissom is gone, or did I miss it?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  9. Digital_Mystic

Digital_Mystic Victim

Having been a long time CSI watcher (and lurker here) I figured this pivotal moment in the franchise might be the right time for me to join this site.

I thought this episode was amazingly well done. Dr. Langston is definitely on my to watch list. It seems to have worked well all around. I have more than one friend who is coming back to CSI because Grissom is gone along with GSR (not that I minded it that much, the show was still good, not going to nitpick episodes that had GSR moments because 3% was not to my liking when 97% was).

Mr. Fishburne has a very dramatic range, something I didn't expect having only seen him in the Matrix opposite Keanu Reeves (which is a bit like acting opposite a piece of cardboard).

I was a little annoyed that there was so much talk of Grissom when Warrick got practically nothing, but then again, as my friend pointed out, people tend to not talk about recent and hard deaths together.

Thinking of Warrick so soon after his death would only bring the death to light in a characters mind (as happened a episode or two after when Cath saw his name in her cellphone), while thinking of Grissom off being happy in Costa Rica is something else entirely.

I do like this episode for a few particular reasons:
    ~ It had an experiment, something CSI was doing very rarely for a while.

~Langston is good with people, just bad at reading them. Unlike Grissom he isn't akward and sullen as much as he seems shocked by the world he has stepped into.

~Hodges was perfect this episode, acting just like a jaded viewer thinking "this new guy better measure up"

~Riley telling Langston that they are there to collect evidence, not be social workers. Reminded me of Flack telling Hawkes about that on his case with the boy that burned in the apartment fire playing chess. I know the circumstances are different, but the idea I believe is the same.

~I loved how they didn't have a line at the end of the teaser, it was not the appropraite time for it. the look on Langstons face was enough.

I did not like one thing. Riley playing uni. Now, I am not slighting Lauren Lee Smith at all, she did a fine job and played her role well. However, since when do CSIs get to tell people they are under arrest? That is for a sworn officer to do, and CSIs are not sworn, they are civilians (one of my friends is a Public Service Officer, so he is always telling me the difference).

Overall, a nice new start for CSI, something I felt was needed. Like a laxative, it works. (points for knowing that reference :cool: )

10. wlk68

wlk68 Pathologist

Au contraire, Speedy. The speech Catherine gave Langston about having a set of clothes by the bed, bottle of water, Thomas Guide, etc was the very same speech, almost verbatim, that Warrick gave to Greg back in the S4 eppy, Early Rollout. I thought it was a nice, if somewhat subtle, shout out to Warrick.

I adored this episode. I could rattle off a list of all the stuff I liked but since everyone else has already done it I won't bother.

The writers gave us a nice balance between crime solving stuff and small personal moments with the team. I hope they can keep this up because, IMHO, they have really set the bar high.

Episode Anonymous from Season 1, Warrick and Nick, the case where the guy goes over the cliff in his car.

What do I win? :)

11. MaxPointy

MaxPointy Hit and Run

Couple of Minor points:

1) Riley has come in as a CSI level 2 - meaning she's already been doing that job for some time, just not in Vegas. I remember reading something in her backstory that she had transferred from St. Louis and had spent actual time as a uniformed officer before becoming a CSI. It's possible that she'd never completely turned in her badge, and probably explains why she seems a lot more comfortable in interrogation scenes than a complete noob.

2) I noticed that while Laurence Fishburne got top billing, it wasn't "Starring Laurence Fishburne" - I thought it was a nice compromise between acknowledging somebody of his accomplishments and still maintaining the ensemble cast feel.

12. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Well since Liz is now considered a regular, her name gets to be shown even thought she may not be in the episode.

Yeah a lot of light humor that made it feel real. I liked it.

I think LF got top billing might have been part of his deal to be on the show too. I mean overall, he still is better known overall than the rest of the cast.

13. teri

teri Victim

I think my favorite scene was when Ray was walking down the hall looking like he had just walked for days through a swamp, shoes and pant cuffs soaked, missing part of his tie and jacket gone....he had a hard first day... wonder if his clothes will be more practicable in future episodes....

It was great to get to see everyone working...i'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

14. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

i'm officially happy with Laurence Fishburne, i love Raymond Langston, great character :)
    i almost cried when Catherine was looking at Grissom's empty office :( it made me think back to those 8 1/2 great years, and it kind of hit home that he's reeeally gone :borg:

it kind of felt like i was watching the pilot of a new series last night, because it doesn't feel like CSI my three favorite characters are gone and now i see how much they really meant to the show..

15. Veze

Veze Rookie

Did you notice how the "accident board" says 133 days without it? Is it already 133 days since Warrick death? And what about Hodges Booboo in the field? He didn't report it? :lol: