Is there too much romance in CSI: NY?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 1, 2008.

?

Is there too much romance in CSI: NY?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. No opinion--I watch for the crime!

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. When is Hawkes going to get some loving???

15 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. KDKHm

KDKHm Dead on Arrival

I think so
    because realisticly would there be 3 or more couples in a work place
    I think some at times they can all of the relationships can have sweet moments but most of the time they just make me cringe!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

My take on it is that yes, there's too much badly written quasi-romance. The debacle that's Danny and Lindsay, that kiss between Flack and Angell (can anyone say random much?) and whatever has been going on with Mac and his new boss. I really haven't seen as much of this season as I've wanted, but what I have seen is not pleasing in the Romance department.

I would much rather see the friendships between the characters explored more, like the interactions between Mac and Stella in Season 1, the interactions between Danny and Flack throughout the show, in particular the situation in "All in the Family," where Flack showed genuine concern for Danny and really saved his bacon.

All this romance/flirting and whatnot, it just seems a bit unrealistic and forced to me. The focus on friendship that was there in the first couple of seasons, that felt natural, I wish TPTB would go back to that. Sincerely.

3. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Well there is romance and then there is Danny and Lindsay (who characters who were shoved together in a highly unbelievable storyline because one of the actors became pregnant.)

I'm all for flirtling and even first dates with character that have chemistry.. ie.. Flack and Angell or even Danny and Flack. :evil:

As a Mac/Stella shipper I really love their interactions. I'm not into 'cannon' relationship because somehow to me it ruins the dynamtic of the relationship itself. And I agree with other who have said that TPTB could easily screw up Mac/Stella like they did with DL.

So my answer yes YES, too much romance but Hawkes does need some lovin' :lol:

4. Tee

Tee Hit and Run

Though I voted yes, there's something else about this issue that I want to bring up.

As of now, there is D/L overload, some F/A, maybe Mac/Gillian and I'm pretty sure they've dropped Adam/Stella. That makes at least 3 ongoing 'relationships' at the moment.

A little off topic, but I was watching a rerun of Bones recently and couldn't help but notice that even though they have 2 solid couples or ships (Ang/Hodgins, Booth/Brennan), it doesnt seem to annoy me. Of course this is only my opinion however, I think that if the writers are able to create interesting yet sensible and plausible storylines for 'office romance' it can work out well.

5. Sammey

Sammey Victim

I don't think there's to much romance in CSI NY. However, I think the 'romances' they do have are kind of silly. And I don't mean that as a way to bash the ships' on the show.

DL - Lindsay and Danny have absolutely no chemistry. I think they could've incorporated Anna's pregnancy without making Danny the father. The father could've been someone from outside of work. Because, as far as I can tell, the D/L relationship is long gone. Like they did on WaT. I thought that was handled nicely and enjoyed the pregnancy.

Flack/Angell - I thought the flirting scenes were cute. But to actually make it canon is going a little too far. Flack's personal life is already a bit messed up to have a relationship. I enjoy Flack's family drama. Sam is a really interesting character. But, they've kind of used that was a stepping stool for F/A. I mean, he did kiss her just after he listened to Sam's speech. If they handled it better, maybe, but they went to fast. But, that's just my opinion.

Mac/Gillian - Unfortunaly, I've only watched the first seven or so episodes of season five, so no comment. Although, I'm sure they'll mess this one up as well. I think the only Mac!Relationship they've handled well was with Peyton. Plus, I'm a total SMacked shipper, so this one probably wont fly with me, even if they do do it in a tasteful way.

Stella/Adam - Seriously? They're pushing this for canon? I'm sorry, but Adam seems like a dorky younger brother. To, like, everyone. I think that Adam/Kendall was really cute and handled well, though. I could also see him with Lindsay. But never Stella.

If they handled the relationships like they did on other shows, such as WaT, I don't think I'd have a problem. It gets in the way of their work.

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It seemed that way initially, but I don't think they're going to go there.

I'm not sure this is a major spoiler or anything, but I'll leave it in here just in case - as Lenkov commented here (there are spoilers at the link), while Adam and Stella "play nice together, I am not sure there's a romance there."

7. clf_1991

clf_1991 Victim

yes I think there is too much romance and i'm getting tired of the Danny and Lindsay romance and I think that the pregnancy storyline is making it worse as it seems so rushed

8. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

I'd rather see relationships with the characters with people outside of the office. Office romances always make me uncomfortable.

9. GotGameFAn

GotGameFAn Hit and Run

Danny & Lindsay: It is one of the most horrible relationships I have ever seen on TV. Everything's so rushed. One moment they're talking about stuff and the next moment they wake up together on a pool table in Messer's place. The Rikki Sandoval storyline was hella bad for me too. Lindsay got somewhat emotional because Danny didn't go to her for help. And the pregnancy storyline is over the line now. Why can't they just hide her pregnancy like in Season 3? I just hope that they won't take over the show with more bumps in the road or Lindsay getting kidnapped when she's about to give birth and shit.

Flack & Angell: I don't really mind them. They have good chemistry. The kiss was out of the blue, but at least they didn't go all lovey-dovey on each other like D/L. They went back to their ways, chasing and interrogating suspects, like nothing happened.

Adam & Stella: I think it's pretty cute that Adam has a little crush on Stella, but I don't think they'd get along well. So I'd say drop the idea of them together.

Mac & Gillian: Have no idea who Gillian is. Is she that dude Suspect X tried to kill or was that Jordan? o_o

10. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

Well, I voted When will Hawkes get some love, cause, seriously, this guy is the only one who's missing out the fun on the merry go around!!

I used to like the show, the underlying tensions between the characters, the tentative flirting at times between about all characters mixed. E.g. If Stella and Adam (which I sooo not ship!) were the only ones doing some flirting, I wouldn't mind, but TOGETHER with anything else ongoing, is way too much. Enough already!!

I never cared for D/L in first place and kind of accepted that they got canon on the show, but the recent development is not worth a crime show! Then... what's this thing with Flack and Angell??? I think it's plain ridiculous!! I think it's even more ridiculous to get together with your police partner (are they partners, anyway? :confused:) than with a random member from you csi team. But maybe that's just me. I mean, have a look over at Elliott and Olivia from SVU. THEY got tension! THEY got real UST getting the screen vibrating! And they won't hook up, no matter how much the audience want that.

Do you listen, TPTB!! TPTB on other processing shows have better chemistry and lesser relationships!! WAY TO GO, you other TPTBs... :thumbsup:

I just don't get it...

11. Sammey

Sammey Victim

Nope, Suspect X tried to kill Jordan. Gillian is new.

12. GotGameFAn

GotGameFAn Hit and Run

Is she that girl who appeared at Like Water for Murder, who was like an inspector? Sorry if I keep on asking.

13. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Quinn Shelby (played by Kristen Dalton) was the inspector shown in "Like Water for Murder", who had previously worked with Mac and had gone up for his job. (She also appeared in "Taxi")

Jordan Gates (played by Jessalyn Gilsig) was the mayor's criminal justice coordinator. She appeared in "DOA for a Day" (with Suspect X), "Personal Foul" and "Taxi".

Gillian Whitmore (or Whitford?, played by Julia Ormond) has only appeared in one episode so far, "My Name is Mac Taylor". She's the new deputy inspector (which was the job Stanton Gerrard - played by Carmen Argenziano - had before he killed his daughter's rapist in "Admissions").

Hopefully that clears up the confusion. :)

14. AbbyD

AbbyD Dead on Arrival

A perfect example...3 women in one and a half seasons to lure Mac into a relationship. None of them stuck, but TPTB just had to throw them in to play "will they or won't they".

Why can't they just have strong women characters without having the compulsion to pair them up as if they are boarding Noah's Ark?

15. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

Exactly! This is plain ridiculous! Especially considering Mac doesn't even seem to be very much interested in any of them. Well, that one look... but otherwise... I think that character just isn't famous for being a womanizer, especially considering his past. Why on earth are they trying to make him one???

:guffaw:Awesome! What a great line! :guffaw:And I totally agree!