Jump the Shark Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by mrcool92501, Jan 6, 2009.

1. mrcool92501

mrcool92501 Civilian

has any of the csi series 'jumped the shark' ???

if so when???

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
  2. allmaple

allmaple Judge

Re: has any of the csi series...

im just going to change the title of your thread so it is more descriptive of the content :)

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Miami has always been ridiculous to me but I used to enjoy that aspect of it. For me it jumped when Delko was allowed back to work while suffering from a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). He couldn't even remember how to do the job but for some reason that didn't stop him from being able to come back to work. I stopped watching the show all together after that.

I think NY is in danger of jumping with the Danny/Lindsay baby and "love" storyline. I don't buy for a second that these two people care about each other beyond friendship and the talk from Veseay and Lenkov about Danny "maturing" because of Lindsay and the baby has me worried they are going to destroy the things I love about the character. It doesn't help that I can't stand Lindsay or Anna Belknap's acting most of the time and having Danny and Carmine eternally tied to them sucks, IMO. So far it's been tolerable because the story has been told through Danny's eyes. Maybe the show can keep away from jumping. Time will tell.

4. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

CSI jumped the shark at the end of season 6. Don't know if I need to explain why but I can sum it up with 3 initials: GSR

5. Choups

Choups Victim

sorry but what "jumped the shark" means ?

6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Choups, "jump the shark" refers to an episode of the comedy series Happy Days, when Fonzie waterskis over a shark to win a bet. To some people, this signals when a TV series will resort to just about anything when the show is starting to go downhill.

From Wikipedia: It denotes "that point in a TV show or movie series' history where the plot veers off into absurd story lines or out-of-the-ordinary characterizations, particularly for a show with falling ratings apparently becoming more desperate to draw viewers in. In the process of undergoing these changes, the TV or movie series loses its original appeal. Shows that have "jumped the shark" are typically deemed to have passed their peak."

7. Choups

Choups Victim

ok ! thanks a lot for the explanation :thumbsup:

well, I think CSI LV or NY hasn't jumped the shark yet, but CSi Miami had for the same reason PerfectAnomaly explained. Delko is out of his shoes and allow him to get back was a mistake.
    The entirely show sounds fake to me, the relationship between the characters (especialy in last season) are quite unlikely (good guys, bad guys...)

8. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

The baby storyline for CSI NY is a potential weapon to "jump the shark" It's bad enough when you switch a whole show from drama into a soap opera. But at least you expect the soap opera be good. DL melodrama is NOT a good storyline. Not only because they don't have chemistry AT ALL but because nobody believes in their relationship beyond their fans and producers. So we have two characters who barely spoke each other for more than 1 1/2 seasons and when they did it was just to argue...and now producers are trying to convince me "they are so in luvvvvvvvvv" "Their baby is product of their luvvvvvvv" "There is nothing like their luvvvvvvv"

Sorry, for me it's just RIDICULOUS!

<The only thing i expect is in the same way they created this absurd storyline, they keep it away as much is possible.
    I love CSI NY and it bothers me instead of paying attention to other couples and characters they waste their (and my) time on this

Right now we have much more interesting storylines on going that "the Baby is coming" story

Debbie

9. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

As Wojo said, GSR, in my opinion has jumped the shark for Las Vegas. Some say that the connection has been there since season one, I, frankly don't see it. The only thing I saw regarding GSR was Sara's borderline obsession with Grissom. As far as their "Love" for eachother, I feel like it just kind of popped in over night. Now it is being thrust upon us from almost every direction.

10. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Interesting on GSR:confused: if you've watched the show for 9 years there's mega times it showed them and their relationship" and he asked her to marry him so I doubt that happened overnight~Ecklie: to Grissom "How long have you and Sara been together" Grissom "9 years" and he asks "Why didn't you tell me" and Gil goes 'We didn't want you to know" and in the "Ala Cart" ep. "you had a pony tail" showing they were connected even before CSI, days. Even if I wasn't a GSR shipper I would have remembered all their 'special moments' and knew this was a long time affair, so it didn't "jump the shark" some things like when Catherine wept over Keppler getting killed, she knew him 4 week's not 4 years, so tacky and silly and ridiculous and Grissom walking away with her, talk about cheesy, that one "jumped the shark "

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  11. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Gotta say I agree with you guys. Once the show turned into the Sara-Grissom show, that was curtains for one season for me. I was okay with the inneundos but once out in the open (for the audience), that was an Incredible Hulk Jumping Over Jaws moment for me.

And the jump was made complete with the oh-so-cliched moment of Sara opening her eyes as Grissom touched her hand in the helicopter. Even my GSR friend laughed her head off at the scene and groaned, "God couldn't they have come up with some MORE original."

Anways, total jumping the shark for me..

Catherine cried for Keppler because he was such a tragic figure whom she felt a deep connection too, you can feel that with anyone in any time frame.

12. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Let's get some facts straight, Grissom and Sara have not been together for '9 years', that just Grissom being Grissom. Now I could believe Sara when she said 2 years.

So lets please stop using that as proof how long they've been together. They've know each other that long, they were not in a relationship that long.

Until CSI Jumped The Shark at the end of season 6 with her walking out of the bathroom, there was NO RELATIONSHIP (well, it was hidden during Season 6).

Their 'relationship' was completely one sided by Sara and even she acknowledge that. Grissom turned her down numerous times.

As for Catherine and Keppler? That was not a Jump the Shark Moment as that was NOT done for ratings. Yes, it was cheesy and I thought a little ridiculous, but so was the cheesy Sara opening her eyes and looking at Grissom while in the chopper. That was just as cheesy, ridiculous and so soap operaish. :rolleyes:

If you ask me, it seems the reason CSI dropped a little in the ratings was because of GSR.

13. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

I think that New York has jumped the shark, especially this season.

They've just become so sloppy and unrealistic with their research and facts. The fact thaty Lindsay Monroe is pregnant and still working in the lab with all the chemicals that can cause severe birth defects, everyone's reaction to the pregnancy (AFAIK, people who have a child together can't work the same precinct at the very least in any police department, much less the shift.), Some of the timelines with how old some of the people are and how long they've been cops, etc. Very unrealistic and very disapointing. Don't even get me started on the absurdity of some of the storylines.

I don't think that GSR was a Jump the Shark moment for CSI, however, I think it was a near thing. The way the relationship was introduced in Season 6 with them flirting a whole lot more, then Bam, she walks out of his bathroom. No, thank you. The way all of her problems magically disappeared when she hooked up with him...ick. The way he insisted nothing could ever happen between them and them wham, they're together....especially considering his condemnation of Nick sleeping with Kristy Hopkins before. Yeah, not cool, IMO.

14. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Just a general reminder - it's fine to disagree with someone about when/if one of the shows jumped the shark. I'm all for discussion so long as everybody plays nice. :)

However, let's not tell other people that their opinions are wrong. We may all be watching the same show, but we don't always see things the same way. What's awesome for one person may be way over the top for someone else. :)

Personally, I don't think any of the shows have jumped the shark, but I think they've come close to leaving the dock on their water skis. So much of the stuff with Horatio on Miami seems utterly ridiculous to me, but at the same time I know it's a style choice and that it definitely works to pull in millions of viewers - so I don't know if it has jumped the shark or if it's a work of complete genius. (There's a fine line between genius and insanity and all that. :p) While I think CSI has gotten a bit dull for my tastes in more recent seasons, I don't think there's anything that has really caused it to jump the shark.* For NY, I think it's more a case of being sloppy than really being desperate and jumping the shark. And while some things are just as bad as always (lord have mercy, the timelines are atrocious!) and some things are worse*, other things have gotten better (like giving certain characters more development, introducing some family issues, etc).

* The exception for both CSI and NY (and possibly Miami if they keep dragging out this Eric/Calleigh thing) is that relationships are a tricky thing. It's hard to write a dramatic long-term relationship without making it ridiculous in the process. Happy relationships aren't dramatic enough, and they have to walk a very fine line. They risk showing it too much or not enough, and ultimately, not everybody is going to be satisfied.

As far as relationships go on these shows, I think Danny and Lindsay have gone farther toward helping their show jump the shark than GSR (or the relationships on Miami). Yes, people have relationships and get pregnant, but I really see no reason why a show should utterly disregard logic, common sense and safety precautions in order to include any storyline.

Yes, logically they can't get instantaneous results for every test or find a clean fingerprint on any surface, but for me personally, I think there's a difference between bending the rules of logic for storytelling purposes and bending the rules of logic (and just the rules in general) when it comes to interpersonal relationships or to accommodate something like a pregnancy. (In my opinion, twisting the science is one thing, but the people should remain believable - otherwise why am I watching? I can watch a show that takes place in outer space, but the people should be realistic no matter the setting or the science.) The show should work around it and make it a part of the story, not just shove it in. That seems lazy and, as I mentioned earlier about NY, sloppy.

So in my opinion, by tossing out some of the realism that existed on the show (because let's be honest, it's television and can only be so realistic in the first place), they showed some desperation. When a show starts looking desperate, I'm keeping my eyes on the water to look for fins.

15. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

You do realize that the only reason that Lindsey is pregnant is because the actress is and they didn't want to keep hiding her behind lab tables, boxes of evidence, etc. They decided to write it into the show.

And, while I'm primarily a Miami fan, the whole Super-Horatio thing since the end of season 4 just annoys the *bleep* out of me. C'mon, really, who waltzes away from not one, but two burning Hummers without a scratch?

As for the relationships, well, Danny is just owning up to being the daddy. He and Lindsey may never do the vows, but I can see that he'd be there for her and his child. It's just the way he's written, the brief affair with Ruben's mother aside. He ws just dealing with grief in the very wrong way. Shades of Delko and toothing after Speed was killed in the line of duty.

I could really never see the sparks between Grissom and Sara, although so many of you do. I always thought that there was more fireworks with him and Catherine. Although, while she's no flirt, she's got fireworks with most of the guys anyway. She's just a likeable character. I'm looking forward to the good bye scene between her and Grissom tonight. I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Eric and Calleigh.....well, I'm a shipper there. I don't think it's a jump the shark moment, but it could easily be if the writers don't play it carefully. Right now, they're still dancing around each other, trying to see if the other one will reject their affections. I've been to the Miami Spoiler Central and know that there will be plot lines that could be interesting for them and everyone else.