What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoachMom

CoachMom CSI Level One

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
    I want to finish it before the movie comes out because the trailer looked fantastic.

2. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

You will get addicted Kat! :)

I'm currently reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer, as well as Tales of the Beetle Bard by JK Rowling. I'm also starting to eye up some of the Charles Dickens books I will have to read for my Dickens class in the coming semester, might as well get a jump start before life gets totally crazy.

3. dopebabygirl

dopebabygirl CSI Level Two

The last one I read - The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum by Heinrich Boell

The story deals with the sensationalism of tabloid news and the political climate of panic over Red Army Faction terrorism in the 1970s Federal Republic of Germany. The main character, Katharina Blum, is an innocent housekeeper whose life is ruined by an invasive tabloid reporter and a police investigation when the man with whom she has just fallen in love turns out to be wanted by the police because of a bank robbery. Later it turns out that he "only" emptied a safe and deserted. Ultimately she shoots the reporter, after she invited him to her house for an interview. The book's fictional tabloid paper, Die ZEITUNG (The Newspaper), is modeled on the actual German Bild-Zeitung.

4. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

dopebabygirl, it's a very good book. I read it last year.

Today I'll start to read Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. He's my favorite sci-fi writer. Surely many of you know movie with the same title - book of course is much different and how to say - more pessimistic. But still it's a very good military sci-fi and anti-war of any kinds.

5. dopebabygirl

Yeah, it is not bad, but I have to admit I wouldn't have read it, if I didn't have to.
    Had to read it in school.

6. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I just started Faye Kellerman's latest. It's called The Mercedes Coffin. In it Lt. Peter Decker is asked to solve a 15 year old murder case. A former student of the victim will give the LAPD a 7 digit endowment if they solve the case. Decker along with Marge Dunn and Scott Oliver set out to find out who killed teacher Ben Little.

7. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I'm reading the latest from my favorite author Steven Saylor called The Triumph of Ceasar. I have a CSI Miami one lined up after it.

8. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I'm actually reading "Twilight" My friend got me the book for xmas a promise that i would read it to see why she likes it and i'm only up to chapter 4 and i'm not hooked but its not a bad read.

9. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

The Alchemist. I'd recommend it to anyone. It's about a young man looking for his dreams. It's a bit surreal, and makes you think about the higher things in life, about goals, knowledge, etc. A friend of mine compared it to Saint Exupéry's The Little Prince but then for adults,which I thought was a very good description. And if you have read The Little Prince yet, I'd suggest you get started right away :p

10. dopebabygirl

Just finished Ansichten eines Clowns (The Clown) by Heinrich Boell.

The face of a clown is the face of innocence, and innocence goes to the wall in German society after the Second World War, when double-dealing and double standards have become a way of life. Heinrich Böll's clown is a professional entertainer in his late twenties who has reached the end of his tether: an unhappy drunk abandoned by the women he loves, too honest and disillusioned to compromise, he sits in his lonely flat and calls for help or consolation of any kind. For this is a study in hypocrisy - emotional, sexual, religious and political - where the majority are smugly blinkered and the rest are caught in a trap they fail to understand, let alone escape.

11. CSIViet

CSIViet Victim

I read the Alchemist a few years back, it really made me think about a lot of things in my life. I found it a very interesting book.

I'm reading Ken Follett - Pillars of the Earth (is that the English title? I have the Spanish version). I shall be moving on to Ben Elton - Chart Throb in the very near future.

12. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I've actually just finished Twilight which i got for xmas off a friend and i promised myself i wasn't gonna liek it because of all the hype and i actually really enjoyed it but i think its because i've always had a soft spot for vampire stories especially angel.

I'm actually off into town after this to try get hold of the other 2 books i could wait till saturday but i'm kind of impatient.

13. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Well I'm half way through Twilight. I actually enjoyed it. I do like the character of Bella, she's quite interesting. I'm lookfoward to see how it ends.

For Christmas, someone gave me a $200 gift certificate to Chapter-Indigo and needless to say, I went out bought some books for both my daughte and I.

14. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I kind of went on a strange thing past few days and managed to read "new moon" and "eclipse" which i finished today. Normally i am bad at reading don't hate it just can never sit still to read but with these books for some reason been unable to put them down they are really interesting if not more for the characters themselves more than teh story because i find both edward and bella amazin characters in how they act and teh way they are.

On "Breaking Dawn" at the moment just started and trying to slow myself down or i might end up going mad.

15. CSI24

CSI24 Victim

I just finished Night World 1 by L.J. Smith. I am currently reading Twilight. I found it a little hard to get into the book, but now that I have gotten a few chapters in, it is quite interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.