What's one thing you wish hadn't happened in CSI?

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by dna1009, Jun 22, 2008.

1. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

After last night's CSI NY, I have another to add to the list.
    I really wish that TPTB hadn't decided to work Anna Belknap's pregnancy into the show (although I realize it's easier that way), and I really wish they didn't have Danny propose marriage to her!! :wtf: He even quizzed her beforehand (real romantic, Danno. Not.) The entire thing came off as forced and awkward.

I don't know why I should care so much, because these two are admittedly my least favorite characters on NY (I don't dislike either one, they're just my least fave of the cast right now) but unfortunately, any interaction between them is pretty difficult to ignore, and even when they're not interacting as a so-called couple, their "romance", if you even want to call it that, is still the proverbial "Elephant in the Room", just like GSR always was, in the Vegas show. The pairing of them, just like Grissom/Sidle, always seemed "off" to me, neither pairing felt organic and natural. It's almost as if TPTB wanted a cannon romance in both shows, and decided to throw together the two least likely and compatible characters in both cases, just to see if they could pull it off. :lol: And in both cases it didn't work, IMO.

Finally, to have a pregnant Lindsay continue to work around harsh and often deadly chemicals in the lab is ridiculous at best, but no doubt the writers will have her do just that, probably figuring the audience will let it slide as believable. Tsk. :rolleyes:

2. 27dayz

27dayz Police Officer

Hmm...one thing that I wish hadn't happened on CSI...can I say Seasons 7 and 8?

For one thing, CSI suddenly became the GSR show in season 7. That's all it was. Every episode it was Grissom and Sara this, Grissom and Sara that. There were other characters, you know. You never saw them working with any of the other characters and so many of their relationships with the others fell through the cracks. I used to really love seeing Grissom interact with everyone and Sara had had such a good rapport with all of the guys that essentially disappeared when GSR happened.

For another thing, the GSR relationship essentially destroyed both characters. Grissom became a hypocrite for sleeping with a subordinate and Sara's exit was not handled well at all. She said goodbye in a letter and left a pathetic, emotionally damaged Grissom in Las Vegas. Then she returns for Warrick's funeral (which wasn't as GSR riddled as I thought it was gonna be) and then gets all pissed off at Grissom for growing a spine and telling her to leave. Then Sara continues to stalk him via emails and make moving on from her a living hell. Honestly, I liked Sara before GSR. She was strong-willed and trying to overcome her demons. Then she gets with Grissom and becomes soley dependent on him.

On a different vein, I'm not a big fan of how the writers handled Warrick's death, either. All of the focus was on Grissom's reaction to it and it barely touched on Nick's. Nick and Warrick were best friends, yet Nick continues to trudge along resiliantly, which is fine, but where's the emotion about his best friend's death? Part of dealing with the death is accepting and grieving it, which it doesn't seem like Nick's done. If my best friend was killed, I'd be a wreck. Nick has alwas seemed like an emotional guy. He cried when there was a gun in his face, he nearly cried when he revealed he had been molested as a child, he's always advocating for the victim's families. Sure he cried at the funeral, but in the next episode, he was happy and grinning as if nothing had happened. I mean WTF? There are other characters besides Grissom, you know.

3. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

I really, really wish that TPTB on NY had not written Anna Belknap's pregnancy into the show. I especially wish that they had not written it in the way they did. It forever eliminates any prospect of either Lindsay Monroe or Danny Messer having any further independent character development.

It also feels like they sold out to the segment of fans that are DannyLindsay shippers. I swear, so much of the past two episodes read like bad fanfiction. What's really bothersome is so much of it lacks believability. Like two coworkers on the same shift getting involved and having a baby won't be a problem. Riiiight. Same thing with the conversation about the effects of the chemicals in the lab. I'm sure some of the chemicals that they use can cause birth defects. I know that they're not going to put Lindsay in a hazmat suit just to run tests in the lab.

I also can't stand the fact that the writers on NY have jumped on this "Romance" thing. Especially when they're so good at writing friendship storylines. I really loved Season 1 because that was the focus. Now, if there's one more hookup, one more flirtation, or one more whatever, I think I'll scream.

4. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

ITA and while I know Billy was leaving! It was just too much to have the show focus on him entirely. It's very, unfair and I'm so ticked off at it, but I've gotten used to it as a Nick fan to have his character pushed off to the side because as many Grissom fans remind me gleefully-he is the star of the show!

I know this will tick off a lot of people but I wish the writers had never written those quasi-flirt scenes between Nick and Greg in the first few seasons.

I wish there had been more fall out from Grave Danger.

5. Shytownmofo

I agree with you about there not being any effects on Nick from Warrick's death. Honestly, there hasn't been any effects on anyone but Grissom, and then that little snippet with Catherine when she sees his number on her phone.

So terribly OOC for Nick not to have any kind of reaction at all. I guess he must be turning into a robot or something. No fallout from "Stalker," Minimal fallout from "GD," and now Nothing from Warrick's death. I mean, at least with "GD" we got the scene where he flicked the bug off in the season 6 premiere, and the entire episode of "Gum Drops" where he was so insistent that Cassie was alive, and even crossed the line with a suspect. So totally unrealistic.

But hey, GSR attracted so many viewers, and WP is the star of the show, so hey, it's all good.

It doesn't offend me really, but I am curious why you don't like the Nick/Greg flirtatious subtext from the first three seasons? I found it interesting, and I really wish they could have kept that up in subsequent seasons.

6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I'm quite happy to answer that here now that I've had some time to think about it.

The characters are hetrosexual men and are very clear about it. They were written to be hextrosexual men and are as such. And I don't think for a second TPTB are going to change that, nor should they.

I never saw any flirtatious banter between Nick and Greg, and if there was it was simply a matter of joking around-but I guess in our sex-obsessed society anything can be perceived as flirty.

I also have a bad taste in my mouth from the GSR and the rabid fans that come with it and with any ship, there are rabid fans and in case of those wanting Nick and Greg to get together, there are rapid fans who make the nonshippers quite weary.

And I have to ask, two men who are written has not being seen with women are automatically gay? Is this what it's about? Because we haven't seen Nick or Greg in a relationship outside of work, they are into each other. Maybe because the show is written as a procedural, romance is usually onthe back burner unless it's the star of the show.

So that's where my feelings about the issue is and again I say I wish that the QUASI-flirt scenes were never included. I hope that writer has since been fired.

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Let's not turn this into a ship debate thread - If we're going to get into talking about why people ship, I'm sure there is a place in Shipper Central where this discussion should take place. I believe there was a thread in this forum (I probably started it) discussing sexuality in the franchise, so if someone wants to continue that sort of discussion, it might be a better fit for that thread.

This thread's about what we wish hadn't happened on the show, so let's not get too far off-topic. :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  8. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

I wish Sofia were still on the show. I really liked her character after she turned into a cop.

I really didn't like the way Brass made her open her blouse in I Like to Watch. I thought it was rather out of character for Sofia (Cath pulled it off better) and I thought it was out of character for the show, too.

9. CsiFreak-

CsiFreak- Victim

I wish Grissom hadn't desided to leave CSI. Because you can't really have CSI without Grissom. I mean he's been on the show for years! But I guess I can't controll the show! (because if I could Grissom would't be leaving).:lol:

10. lmd2010

lmd2010 Victim

1. Speedle Death - Just uggh. I really enjoyed his character from the get go. Everything about him. I liked his personality, and for the most part? He seemed well developed as well as interesting. His relationship with Eric(and by that I mean friendly male banter) was really good for the show in my opinion.

2. Warricks Death - I loved watching the interactions between him and Catherine, no matter how far and few between.

3. Grissom Leaving - After Warricks death, and now this, Vegas seems to be on a definite decline to me.

4. New Girl On CSI - Not sure why, but I already don't care for her.

5. Aidens Death - Self explanatory. Plus, I was an Aiden/Danny supporter. I was bummed to put it mildly.

11. soundandfury

soundandfury Civilian

I only consider myself a true fan of LV, so I won't comment on things from Miami, since I've only been watching it for a few weeks.

Complaint #1: Riley. I'm really trying to like her, since I like the actress, but all I can think whenever I see her is MARY SUE.

Complaint #2: I wish the Nick/Greg subtext had never dwindled. I know there's almost no chance it could ever go somewhere, but it was cute and, I thought, in-character. Greg, I think of as a constant flirt, regardless of sexual orientation. Nick, I think sees Greg like some sort of exotic animal - fascinating and a little scary. Once again, regardless of whether or not there were any romantic feelings.

Complaint #3: I wish Sara and Grissom's relationship hadn't been revealed when it was. Part of the fun of GSR was the subtext. I could've waited.

Complaint #4: I wish the writing hadn't gone downhill. 'Nuff said.

Complaint #5: I wish Greg had stayed in the lab. He got boring when he became a CSI. He's gotten better lately, but there was a time when he was dull, dull, dull.

Complaint #6: I wish we could've gotten a YoBling kiss or date or something.

It feels wrong to complain so much about a show I love and would watch almost constantly if I could. . . :p

12. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I wish there were not ships and the show would stay a procedural.

13. Shytownmofo

Then delete your Nick/Mandy Ship avatar.......

Honestly, it comes across as extremely hypocritical.

14. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

Okay, one thing I wish hadn't happened in CSI...In NY, I wish they had never made this Ella person. She pisses me off. Okay, this is stalker #2 for Mac. And then there's Greek Guy. That's bad man #3 for Stella. I mean, c'mon! They obviously can't come up with new storylines anymore. I mean look at "A Happy Place" from this season of CSI LV. It's pretty much the same as "Goodbye and Good Luck". Old case comes back to haunt Sara. She leaves Vegas without telling Grissom where she is. Simple as that. They seriously need to hire some more writers. Get some fresh minds in there. Maybe it'll help.

15. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

I only really watch LV so I can't say anything about Miami or NY.

I wish Sara hadn't left.

I wish Warrick hadn't died.

I wish Sofia's absence was mentioned by someone, somewhere, somehow.

I wish Grissom wasn't going to leave.

I wish that if they want to be more character driven that they be fair to every one of the characters. I mean I ship GSR, but I understand how others can feel upset that their characters aren't given as much time and development.