Gil <3 Cath #30: PureJoy – Sexy CSI Soul Mates

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by EricaSJ, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CSIz_4_H

CSIz_4_H CSI Level One

Re: Gil <3 Cath #30: PureJoy – Sexy CSI Soul Mates

Oh, it's not just you. I got the same thing out of it. Cath was being the mom making such a big deal out of what Lindsey had done and then Gil came in like the calm father by telling her it could've been worse, she could've got a tattoo. He was trying to make her see that what Lindsey done wasn't that bad.
    Ok, who else has thought this has always been the case?:lol: I wish she would actually come out and say it. Although, truth be told, you can already see that's the way it always was.
    I also think that's a given. There would really be know other reason to bring him back. I mean I'd like to think that he'd just come back just to see Catherine and the rest of the team, but let's face it, it's not going to happen that way. Either way, I hope she doesn't find out he's coming until he actually gets there and she sees him.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. karu_mila

karu_mila CSI Level Two

Trust me, it's not just you. They so have that parental vibe when they're in the lab when they're talking about the rest of the CSIs or Lindsey. *pokes TPTB* Now why isn't Gil Lindsey's father again? God knows he's the better father figure and come to think of it, Lindsey kinda looks like him around the nose and mouth, maybe even the forehead and chin. Coincidence?

*snickers* That's definitely true... even Gil knows that. Guess we know who wears the pants in the relationship. I would love to hear her say something like that on the show. Hmm, this calls for a little improvisation on Billy and Marg's part...

3. GraveyardIntern

GraveyardIntern Pathologist

About Gil's return...

Yeah, it would be made more epic if she didn't know but that would be kind of hard because she's the supervisor.

HOWEVER,

I just had a brilliant idea. HAHAH. What if he shows up like Teri Miller did? Catherine brought her in without Gil knowing and he didn't know she was coming until...well, he saw her at the morgue. One of the team members brings him in and ... wow. That would also be very very short of epic. =)

4. karu_mila

karu_mila CSI Level Two

*whistles* That's insane... then again, it sounds a lot like something that Gil would do and it would be worth it to see the look on Cath's face. Hmm, who should bring him in though? Nick and Greg? I'm pretty sure that they would act suspicious and get her to raise an eyebrow more than once but they'd get the job done. How would you guys like to see the scene play out?

5. CSIz_4_H

CSIz_4_H CSI Level One

If somebody's going to bring him in, I think it'd be kind of cool if Brass done it. He'd be able to be more secretive without her getting suspicious. He could tell her they got a lead that could be big and to meet him somewhere. When she gets there, Brass could make up some excuse and he has to step out for a bit, but she can go ahead and follow up on the lead. He leaves and then she hears someone say something like, "You know, being supervisor means you send somebody else to do all the leg work while you take all the credit." She turns around and boom, it's Gil with that special grin just for her.;)

6. karu_mila

karu_mila CSI Level Two

*rushes in* I'm late! I got coerced into baking... and I ended up doing all of it 'cause I'm the only one in the family who knows how to bake. Luckily it was worth the full four hours. *whips out triple chocolate cupcakes with chocolate ganache icing* Help yourselves if you want any... they're still warm from the oven.

I like the idea of something like that happening... Brass would be a good candidate for the job. Of course, there's also the issue of keeping it a secret from everyone else. You know that Greg, Archie and Hodges will be trying to find out. Not to mention that Nick might get suspicious and join them. They might definitely try to see what's happening through the cameras, but methinks that Gil and Cath will turn to the camera and give the infamous stare.

7. InnocentGuilt

InnocentGuilt Hit and Run

I would personally die if Brass brought Gil back for Catherine. Those three have always had this funny friendship that's just...hilarious.

And responding to the theory of Lindsey being Gil's daughter, I don't think that would be it. I don't think Cath and Gil could have gotten into any situation that would lead to him not knowing about his own child and if he knew about his child I sincerely doubt he would have let a different man raise her. There's just no way in my mind, especially considering how in love he is with Catherine. She would have told him and he would have swept her away and married her himself. And Catherine was always (For reasons unknown) faithful to Eddie.

8. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

^ Regarding Catherine being faithful to Eddie, I think that explains one thing: love is blind. lol. When you're head-over-heel in love with someone, you just ignore all kinds of bad things about them and only see the good side of them, until you see them do something hurtful with your own eyes. In Catherine's case, until she witnessed Eddie cheating on her. Only then, she started to acknowledge what kind of a bastard Eddie had been over the years. Anyway, Lindsey is defnitely Eddie's daughter. I agree with Innocent, Gil would have done something if she was his. Also, I really don't think Catherine would cheat on Eddie although why she even fell in love with Eddie in the first place is kind of a mystery. lol.

9. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

I wonder if Catherine fell in love with Eddie because he seemed, at the time, like something Catherine is always looking for - human contact. I mean, regardless of Eddie's faults, and goodness knows, we know they're numerous, he appears to adore Lindsey and love Catherine in his own weird way.

While I'm glad they're not together anymore I can see why perhaps a young, impulsive Catherine Flynn might have fallen in love with his charm, and then perhaps when Lindsey was coming along, Catherine might have realised that she needed more - and that both she and Lindsey deserved more - hence Catherine becoming a CSI.

I also wonder if perhaps meeting Gil may have woken her up a little to the different possibilities that were out there - he's so different from Eddie in every way, and was probably one of the first men to take an interest in her that wasn't sexual (overtly anyway).

As for why she stayed with Eddie - people have said love is blind - also remember Catherine grew up in a broken home - maybe she wanted something different for Lindsey? Who knows.

Here's a thought though - do you think Catherine became pregnant with Lindsey before or after she married Eddie, and another question - if Catherine had not been with Eddie in the early PureJoy years, do you think Gil would have stepped up and offered himself over?

Gil seemed more geeky and fun in the early years than he does now - perhaps that would have made a difference?

This post was not meant to turn into an epic LOL

10. CSIz_4_H

CSIz_4_H CSI Level One

I'm not really sure what to think on that one...I guess it could've happened either way. More than likely, she was probably already married to the guy though. Wouldn't she have been a CSI by then or at least training to be one? I wouldn't think that if she was pregnant, she'd still be dancing or still have her addiction. She just doesn't seem like the type that would bring a child into that. I think she was probably getting back on track when she got pregnant. That probably motivated her even more.
    I don't know that Gil would have stepped up because he probably didn't think he was good enough for her. I do think that it would have happened gradually and Cath would have tested him a little just to see how far he'd go....see if he felt the same thing she did. I do agree that Gil seemed more fun then, so I think that would've made a difference. He would've been more spontaneous and you know she was, so yeah, if there had been different circumstances, they'd still be married with two or three kids by now.:)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  11. karu_mila

karu_mila CSI Level Two

Oh lord, I created another monster... and that's not what I meant when I said that Lindsey resembled Gil. I was thinking more along the lines of why couldn't he have been her father instead?

I don't think it's a coincidence that she looks a little like him 'cause it hints at Gil already being the father figure and already being part of the family. That's a lot coming from a man who TPTB say is just a friend to Cath. I just think there's something more to that than friendship when the man essentially helps raise someone whose not even his own daughter. What do you guys think?

12. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I posted this originally at BTA, and on Drumchik's prodding, I've decided to post it here too. The original question was
    Here was my reply:
    As for being sad that the Gil/Cath "ship didn't sail"... You know what? It DID sail for the first 5+ seasons, and again starting up a little more in the past few episodes. To me, the Gil/Cath ship isn't about sneaking around as a couple because you're afraid someone will find out (like GSR) or looking for companionship because your life's been all about work (like GSR) or because someone has daddy issues (like GSR) ...

I think the Gil/Cath ship is about... knowing that he's upset about a baby that's missing/kidnapped and not getting in his face about him being suddenly emotional about it ... noticing that he's losing his hearing and seeing him before he goes in for surgery for it ... getting in his face about taking over her case and knowing he hasn't realized what he's done ... not being afraid to point out to him the he has no personal life... discovering that they've both come to the same conclusion on where a missing boat is and complimenting her on finding it but not telling her that his experiment also pointed to the same place ... knowing where he keeps the stamps on his desk and knowing when he's looking for them ... giving the team their assignments at the scene when she realizes that he's flustered because a serial killer's killed again when he unknowingly let the guy get away on the previous murder ... having a conversation about your daughter who was caught hitchhiking and actually taking his advice and show your daughter a dead body... telling him your father, who was a murder suspect, gave you money, then later after your disagreement, you come to ask him if you two are still okay...

just a few examples of the great ship moments for GC... so yes, our ship has definitely sailed for quite a while, and after a separation lasting about two years, we're still sailing just like the way we started out.

- - - - - - -
    So, what are your feelings about the question of "how a fandom reacts when faced with the absolute certainty that their 'ship won't sail"?
    - - - - - - -
    ETA: and I just finished a new CG wallpaper an office romance

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  13. InnocentGuilt

InnocentGuilt Hit and Run

In response to Kaylyne's wonderful question, I have to say, I go around it. I sail a lot of ships that have 'sunk' in the eyes of the bulk. I like Sara and Warrick, Greg and Nick, and Catherine and Gil! Swarrick is sooo dead. The Love is so not likely to happen, and Gil and Catherine...I hold my breath so long...I hope still gets the chance to sail away into the sunset.

But I don't have to have them be together to know that there's love. The great thing about a ship is that is still sails with minor damage. And even when it's obliterated, there are still survivors. I don't have to have happy endings, and I'm a realist, so forgive me is this seems crass, I think it's irritating when everyone gets their true love.

It doesn't change the fact that they did love each other, and it certainly doesn't mean that a ship has 'sunk' just because an entire mass of people like the things they see, and not what's actually there. What TPTB did was go with what the crowd wanted. I don't understand it either. The Powers that be went with a crowd that want simplicity.

Example, the two most popular ships: GSR- Here's light! Let's put two anti-social people together, making it unlikely that they will ever really connect.

YoBling!- The crowd wanted to put two people who loved Vegas together, who loved their party life a little too much, who loved the bright lights, the flashy show, and the pomposity of Vegas together.

I have nothing against these ships and most days, I can sort of, if I squint, see where the general public is coming from, but the thing is it's too much in common and I've found that relationships with people who have too much in common with each other, as Sara said, "can't grow," thusly they "wither and die."

Gil and Catherine know each other, and I think that most of that was to do with Catherine's insatiable curiosity. Gil doesn't often offer information, but I think Catherine enticed him to tell her things. How did Gil and Sara connect? How did they hold a conversation? I was always so stumped when they aluded to Sara knowing something about Gil or vice versa. I never understood how they found out about each other. Because I can't see them being comfortable enough to ask. I think Catherine makes Gil comfortable, at least enough to ask her (non-scientific or work related) questions about her when she asks about him.

And even if they never get together, they will always have the fact that they loved each other unconditionally. How many other ships can say that?

14. CSIz_4_H

CSIz_4_H CSI Level One

Well are we really faced with the certainty that our ship won't sail? I don't think so. As long as the characters live and breathe, there's a chance. I agree kaylyne, I also think our ship sailed there for years. They were in a relationship just as much as anybody else. Even though, they had to 'dock the boat' for a while, recently they've got back onboard. Tell me others who have went through what they have and still been able to bounce back like they have.

I was looking at a CSI book I have and this might clear up a few things about Catherine's marriage, pregnancy, etc. It says that 'Tadero recommended Catherine to a young CSI named Gil Grissom, who offered her an entry-level job as an assistant lab technician. Under the tutelage of Tadero and Grissom, Catherine quickly moved up the ranks in the lab and soon found herself wanting to get out into the field as an Investigator. She had already been promoted to a CSI Level 2 by the time she became pregnant. Feeling secure in her job and relationship, she and Eddie married and bought a small house in suburban Vegas.' It also says she met Eddie in Seattle and they came back to Vegas.

Also, I came across these quotes that I just love...

"I got a call from Billy Petersen when we finished. He said,'Honey, that episode is amazing. It just shows where our show can go, and you're fantastic.'"-Marg about season two's The Finger. Isn't that sweet?:adore:

Marg regarding season three's A Night At The Movies, "I kind of joked about it," on the comfortable rapport between Gil & Catherine. "It was our Thin Man or Hart To Hart kind of episode."...and if anybody remembers these shows, then you know exactly what this quote means.:D Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on, but I just thought I'd share this.

15. karu_mila

karu_mila CSI Level Two

I think the ship already sailed too... TPTB just haven't made it official and I think that Gil and Cath are okay with it 'cause they don't make a big deal of it, even though they obviously love each other. Who knows, maybe they're one of those common law couples that don't need to be married to define what they have like Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins or Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. What do you guys think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.