Gil <3 Cath #30: PureJoy – Sexy CSI Soul Mates

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by EricaSJ, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Re: Gil <3 Cath #30: PureJoy – Sexy CSI Soul Mates

I watched the episode again.

The scene while they were going over Lindsey's jeans was so great. Just like Cath and Gil, to discuss Lindsey. He will truely miss her I think. Then the part where Cath told him she knew...
    I noticed the look on her face. She was about to cry. Almost couldn't hold it back. I'm sure it was hard for Marg not to cry. She did mention in an interview a while back that she will miss Billy and it's hard for her to realize that those were Billy's last episodes. So, the scene was filled with emotion both from Catherine saying telling Grissom she knew he was going to leave before he did, to Marg realizing she won't be working with Billy anymore.

2. Criminologist86

Criminologist86 Pathologist

presenthunter: I think you are right in saying that Marg's feelings translated over to Catherine's. When a co-worker/friend/fellow actor leaves, it's probably the best acting ever done, because you don't have to get in character, you don't have to think about it...It just happens...the emotions run freely and it translates into absolutely beyond brilliant acting. (That is duh, seen every week on CSI but ya'll know)

I definitley got very emotional hearing Gil speak so sweetly to Cath...They know PureJoy is alive on and off screen...Love it.

3. CSIz_4_H

CSIz_4_H CSI Level One

I'm with you guys 100% on the acting aspect of the whole thing. I really don't think they're going that far out on their acting ability because I think what we see onscreen is how it is offscreen. It's just as much a goodbye between Billy and Marg, as it is between Gil and Catherine. It's emotional for them considering all they've been through over the years. I'm anxious to see their last scene because I'm sure it'll be some of the best acting either one has done because it's going to be the closest thing to reality you've seen. I think the only thing that'll be different is their names (Gil/Billy, Cath/Marg).

4. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

No words needed.

Usually I avoid bringing up the relationship Marg and Billy have in this thread becasue I like to draw a line between discussing shipping fictional characters and talking about real-life actors, but when it comes to something like THIS, it's just impossible not to bring Marg and Billy's friendship/partnership into what we see on the screen. And apparently it's hard for the two actors not to do that, too. I so adored the knowing looks and the genuine smiles they gave each other in both scenes (the break room scene and the "I knew before you knew" scene). I loved how he had to keep his eyes on Catherine while talking to the team about his decision. It was like he couldn't go on talking without her reassurance. Despite the sudden announcement, I think Catherine's look showed understanding. As she told Gil later, she did know that sooner or later he'd burn out and leave for a change, she probably just didn't know when until he broke it.

I don't even know how to describe my feelings regarding their alone scene. In there, I saw Marg and Billy instead of Catherine and Gil. They put their true emotions into that scene, and their reluctance to let go of each other was just obvious. Her eyes were glistening and you so knew that she was trying hard not to cry. The tenderness and intimacy they shared in this scene were simply moving. It broke your heart, yet made you feel warm and fuzzy at the same time. The last time I had such feelings for a scene was when Gil went to Catherine's office and gave her his fetal pig in No Humans Involved, except this time the feelings are a thousand times stronger. Yet all they needed to deliever all this were just looks, smiles, and a simple "I knew before you knew".

I really don't think there was much acting involved in this scene. The relationships (whichever kind you prefer) between Cath/Gil and Marg/Billy crossed right here.

So the writers can still write good scenes for those two. Makes you wonder where these writers have been in the past three, four years.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  5. 19ams87

19ams87 CSI Level Two

Erica, I agree with absolutly everything you just said. Watching that scene, well it kills me and makes me smile at the same time. It's bittersweet.
    Definately, it was all about the eyes and the looks. I honestly don't think that they were at all, acting. That was real emotion there. You can tell that off screen, they really, really do love each other, I don't see how anybody can deny that. They both looked close to tears, especially Marg, I think we might actually see her cry in his last episode.

The scenes we got in Thursdays ep (and last weeks, too) well it just feels like we're finally being given something y'know? Everyone knows how little we've had in the past few seasons, it's just nice to see them interacting the way they once did, however it's again bittersweet. God I really do not want him to leave, can't imagine how Marg feels, like's she's losing a limb I imagine.

I simply cannot wait until they work together out of CSI, who's betting they play a married couple or some variation?! That makes me squee so hard my squee-o-metre nearly breaks!

6. Criminologist86

What you said (quoted above) actually made me cry. You are SO right; it was Billy and Marg, not Cath & Gil, and oh my GOD it was beautiful...the intimacy, the true love...you can't get past that...at least without crying. I am so speechless...you said it so perfectly...How much do ya'll wanna bet that the entire set, not just the actors, but down to the lowest employees on the wrung, was silent...just in awe of the moment that they just captured on-screen forever? I'm still in awe...and unfortunately, it still makes me tear up. <3

7. HellsBells

HellsBells Tormenting Camp Counselors

Guys. Actors and their love lives CANNOT be talked about in Shipper Central. Keep the discussion on the characters themselves ONLY. Thank you.

8. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

^ I think you misunderstood. No one was talking about actors and their love lives (at least not me. lol). We were talking about the friendship between the two actors. It is a fact that William Petersen and Marg Helgenberger are very close friends and work partners. The connections they have with each other is much deeper than the connections they have with any other cast member of this show. They are always quite open about that in public. In their recent interviews where they were asked about Billy's departure, both of them emphasized how much love and respect they have for each other and how hard his leaving was to them. They keep bringing up their personal feelings when they talk about shooting Billy's last few episodes and how it has affected them. When they do that, I guess it's hard for fans to not do the same thing. And please, no one implied anything about anyone's love life. We were talking about Marg and Billy loving each other as close friends and long-time partners. At least to me, none of the last few posts talked about anything romantic between the two.

No offense. Just thought I'd explain. If you've known us long enough, you'd know we rarely mention the actors (if ever) in this thread because we are fully aware of the difference between fictional characters and the actors playing them. I'm sorry if you think what we did was against the rules, though. We'll try to keep the discussions on the characters.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  9. GraveyardIntern

GraveyardIntern Pathologist

I'm now in Korea for my winter break so I can't watch the whole episode on the CBS website, for some god-awful reason. But I did just watch that scene and I've seen the break room scene before so I'm putting at least the Gil/Cath scenes together in my mind.

I definitely agree with Erica on everything she said. I've gotta admit though, I'm not one that can usually keep that line between real-life and fictional-life (I wanna blame it on the young age..except not really anymore) and really squee for the relationship between Billy/Marg all the time. So this episode was just absolute shipper-heaven.

For me, in both scenes, I saw Billy and Marg interacting rather than Gil and Cath. In the break room scene, the way she looked at him before he even broke the news and the way she said "That's it?" just said everything. Obviously Marg has known about this for a while so it's hard for her and him to pretend like Billy is breaking this in that scene. I got the same from the rest of the team. If I was one of them and this was the first time that I was hearing this, I would be shocked. But I felt like I was seeing all the actors in that scene rather than the characters and I think it's inevitable. When Billy/Grissom was breaking his news, he looked at Marg/Catherine, especially when he said the very line of "I'm leaving CSI." And the way he turned his head and looked at her was obviously to gauge her reaction and to see if she was all right (which Erica mentioned previously). I think his concern for her just came out all right there (his being Grissom's or Billy's, I really don't know at this point.)

As for their scene alone...that was most definitely not much acting. I realized that it was Billy and Marg talking when Marg was finishing her bit about Lindsey (I realized she was starting to get emotional and she wasn't really putting her heart into her lines) and when Billy retorted about the tattoo, his voice changed. It wasn't Grissom's usual voice but Billy's voice, the really soft, smooth-talking, sultry voice - the one we get very rarely. I definitely agree that the last time we got that voice was when Billy said "At least they're in good hands." during No Humans Involved. Then, even before Billy starts talking about the "surprise", when Marg is just silently looking at the monitor, you can tell that she is upset and on the verge of crying. And when he breaks the news, the way he crinkles his eyes is a way of hiding his emotions (I think so, because I do that all the time.)

And of course, the "I knew. I knew before I knew." lines were....delivered flawlessly. For me, the look that he gave her was one of "Thank you and I'm sorry I have to do this." kind of thing and the knowing look that she gave him was just...Marg. I saw that same look when she was talking to him about the "working family." I think in that look she just expressed her sadness and a bittersweetness she has about him leaving. The amount of time they held their eyes in that scene is incredible...more than ever. And I think her voice changed too after her huge sigh. I'm sure it was really difficult filming that scene...:(

I feel like the G/C scenes in the past two episodes have been of a much greater caliber than anything we've gotten in the past 3-4 years. I mean...this would be HUGE if it wasn't for the overwhelming sadness that it's only because he's leaving. I mean...GOD. This one definitely took me to the verge of becoming really emotional. I don't know what to expect in the next episode. I really don't.

Sorry, I think I really rambled on.

10. Criminologist86

I agree..I wasn't trying to break any rules, but with this episode it was pretty much impossible to separate Marg/Billy from Catherine/Gil...we rarely discuss the actors themselves, like Erica said, but yeah, I basically second all that she said.
    Again, no offense...but that's definitley where we were/are coming from.

Erica: The clip you posted made me cry!! I watched it while I continued reading what you had to say and I was in TEARS!!! Thanks so much for finding it and posting it; it, in a weird, twisted, sad, PureJoy way made my day.

11. CSIz_4_H

CSIz_4_H CSI Level One

Oh, me either! I'll take that bet because they've got to do something where they get to show off their amazing chemistry and I can't think of any other way, but to play a couple.;)

Erica and Gravey, thank you so much for putting into words what I've been trying to do for the past three days.:thumbsup: You both put it perfectly and said exactly what I've been thinking. That line was jumped completely. I think we really are seeing the real friendship come across more than the fictional one and it's such a beautiful thing. I do agree that the last few times we've finally been given something...makes me sort of hopeful for the next eppy.

12. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Even if you think it was impossible to separate the actor from the character, in this thread YOU MUST. You guys can't assume things with the actors (in this thread) unless the actors themselves have revealed anything to the public and you still can't talk about it in here. The Vegas Forum has threads for the actors if you wish to discuss them.

Guys, this thread is for discussion of Catherine and Grissom ONLY. You cannot discuss Marg and Billy in here. The actors need to stay out of this thread. Discussion of Marg and Billy has been going on for several posts and this thread is NOT for them. It is for Cath/Grissom ONLY.

So everybody, please get back to discussion of your ship only. thanks

13. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

While I get your point, mods, I'd like to make one thing clear: we didn't assume anything. The actors did say that they love and respect each other, that it was hard for the both of them and that they were sad while shooting. It's printed in those magazines. Fact, not assumption.

However, I understand where you're coming from regarding the borad rules and yes, we may have posted some of our thoughts in the wrong thread. I actually did say I'd go back to the characters at the end of my previous post. Quoting just that first bit from my post and replying to it only is taking it out of context.

So, back to the characters. I don't think it was a goodbye scene. It was more like they were...having a talk about his departure. And it was kinda obvious that he felt guilty for not telling her sooner (although she'd known all along that he'd eventually leave). So here's hope for a proper goodbye in the next episode. :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  14. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

I think that after watching this week's ep, the Grissom/Catherine relationship is a lot stronger. It was quite clear from that conversation that they are deeply in love with each other - from Grissom being concerned about telling her, to Catherine telling him she already knew - before he did.

I think that shows what a solid relationship it is - that they know each other so well - they can sense things from each other and are always going to support each other.

I hope we get at least a hug in the next episode. After everything that's happened between them over the past eight years, they deserve at least that - hopefully just the two of them.

15. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

^ It was really nice to see the C/G scenes in the last two episodes. Felt like the good old times. I loved Gil's soft tone and the concerned looks in their alone scene from this week. He was being so gentle. And the geniune smiles he and Catherine gave each other just melted your heart right there. :) We've talked about the unspoken bond between the two, how they don't need words to communicate. Here, we see it all in this scene. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.