CSI: NY Season 5 Spoiler Discussion - Back in the Big Apple

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Re: CSI: NY Season 5 Spoiler Dicussion - Back in the Big Apple

Don't make the poor woobie cry. :p (Although it could be interesting to see him take a bit of a risk because he's losing his job anyway - if Stella asked him to, I think he would, or if he thought taking the hit instead of her would help since his job is on the line anyway...I don't anticipate anything like that, but it would be interesting.)

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Danny's actually one of the only characters to repeatedly get called out for his behavior. That doesn't excuse him being let off for some other things, but it also doesn't excuse anyone else from not being called out for anything they've done.

I think it would be more interesting to actually see someone else get nailed for not following protocol. There's only so much "Danny f*cked up again" that is convincing when everyone else gets away with not being professional or following protocol even if Danny is the "go-to f*ck-up."

ETA: Is Adam's job even in jeopardy any more? :p TPTB seem to have this habit of creating certain dramaz (*coughcough*anythingnotDLrelated*coughcough*) for one or two episodes and then droping it because they assume everyone will forget about it.

3. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Would Danny be going against regulations? Stella is his superior and the regulations surely say he is to follow her orders, likewise for Adam or any of the others. Admittedly he could inform Mac if he thinks Mac wouldn't approve but ultimately I would say the responsibility lies with Stella as the most senior CSI.

4. Faylinn

I assume Adam's job is still on the line and they just don't bother mentioning it when it's not immediately relevant. There was a hint in "My Name is Mac Taylor" at the end (when Stella went to spend time with him in the lab), but I expect we won't get anything more major than that once or twice until it's the big issue in a later episode - possibly during Feb/March sweeps? (I'm not sure why they set a storyline up for a long-term resolution if they didn't plan to address it consistently, but then I guess it's nice that they're at least thinking about continuity beforehand in addition to actually caring about it as time goes on. ;))

5. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I suspect Mac's approach would be one of 'if she said jump would you do it?'. It's possible for Danny to go against regulations while still following the orders of his supervisor. Free will can be exercised in that situation but it's still against regulations and will therefore have consequences for Danny as well as for Stella. That's not to say it will play out that way, in fact I suspect it probably won't because the show isn't renowned for following employment law too closely e.g. Adam's job is 'saved' by his colleagues while other lab rats are presumably 'let go' of, setting up the case of a 'favoured' employee being treated differently to everyone else. :)

6. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I would disagree with that, Mac is a milltary guy and in the military you follow the orders of your superiors without question. In situations where there is a clear chain of command I would expect the most senior person to take the fall out.

Saying that I agree it will probably never be mentioned on the show, like so many other things. I mean when Hawkes was framed for murder the team were clearly told they were not allowed to be involved in the investigation as it involved one of there own. Luckily for Hawkes, they still but, as far as I remember, there were no consequences.

7. JellyBelly

Yes, but that's the conflict that Mac has to deal with in his job. While martial law (which Mac will instincitvely lean to in terms of his background) dictates orders are followed through a chain of command sometimes irrespective of protocol etc, state and federal law (which Mac is now governed by) operate differently with much more emphasis on individual culpability. I'm British so things probably operate differently here, but I have come across examples of case law where employees are held to account for disregarding protocol even in situations where they are following direct orders. It's a mechanism to protect against the actions of an individual who may be acting on their own authority (Stella) and requiring the employee (Danny) to rat her out.

Having said all of that it's likely irrelevant in this scenario because it will go against the whole 'the team does what they have to do to get the bad guy' ethos of the show. :)

8. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I kinda feel obliged to respond here, and then hope this is considered resolved to everyone's general satisfaction. ;)

My sincere apologies, as I truly, honestly did not mean it to be offensive, but had intended it to be light hearted, done in the spirit of fun, even while being topical. And I thought it was topical.

With due tact and respect, in point of fact, my post was a response that derived directly from reading the TV Guide article previously posted in this thread, and from the discussions had here about topics therein. I thought it all fair game to comment on and poke a little.

If the article had been posted elsewhere, I would have had that response elsewhere. My comment was long (very sorry), and the format unconventional perhaps (was it the form more than the content that bothered you?) but I don't think it was off topic. Nor was it FF, but what I would have hoped was easily discernable as wider critical commentary made via the characters. ;)

It was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek satirical poke at the whole show, and honestly, at TPTB. I'm chuffed some absolutely got it, and am sorry others did not find it as amusing, or felt it spoken out of turn.

Opinions are the default in a Talk forum. As for who can respond in what fashion, I should think all members, be they mods, admins, or general board users, are not only entitled to their own opinions, but to voice them, favourable or unfavourable. Whether a post is appropriate in a given thread or not is a separate issue, and I like any other member will of course abide by whatever determination is made in a given case.

I do understand sensitivities often tend to be heightened where DL, or indeed any ship is concerned, but in this instance they were a vehicle used to direct my absurdity at TPTB, and were not in themselves the sole target of it. That said, I can understand why you feel the post in question was out of place.

Mea culpa all. I won't make it a habit, at least not here, and will use greater discretion in future.

;):cool:

-

I think it's great Stella gets a storyline that centres around a crime, one that will provide opportunity to let us in on her heritage. It's a welcome change for her, where previous Stella fodder was centred around the HIV scare, and of course Frankie.

I like the possibilities that this case provides for interaction between Stella, Mac, and Danny. I'm also interested because Melina's been deeply involved in the writing of the story. She's been quoted as saying she's hugely protective of her character, and that only makes me even more keenly interested in what the collaboration between Melina and the writers will turn out as a prime episode for Stella. Absolutely.

I think anyone within the labs who wanted to help Stella would do so voluntarily, possibly even against her counsel, and not because she's anyone's superior in the food chain. I don't see her asking that of anyone. It's precisely because of her position within the labs that all this has another layer of subtext and intrigue. I'm wondering if her 'willing to break the rules now' comment is alluding to how she will proceed with a baddie who's got diplomatic immunity, or if it's about proceeding with both the Rat Fisherman's open homicide, and the secondary investigation of the Greek coins, without informing Mac of something he'd wanna know (the threats), or both, and how the others will fare in trying to support or help her as a result, and what the fallout for each could be.

As for Mac, he's been written to have a long history of going against his superiors in the NYPD, and Gillian even specifically mentioned such when she first met him this season. Before that, there was that big scene of Mac shouting at Sinclair over the phone at how he runs his department, not Sinclair. I think Mac'll take responsibility for his team, and I don't see him as a yes man for Sinclair, wasn't for Gerrard, won't be for Gillian. Precisely the opposite, which is why there are all these managerial and office-politico conflicts. Ways to make drama.

I also think Mac and Stella have known each other long enough that it would not be so cut and dried a situation if any impropriety does arise and is confronted (and we can only speculate what Stella and/or Danny are really going to become involved in).

Stella's eppie is definitely one I'm looking forward to.

--

(and, um, :p aw shuckies and thankies for happy nods and Shady Intranetz Awards. I owe it all to da Show ;) ).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  9. JellyBelly

Despite the fact I don't agree with the view that D/L brings down the show or that Lindsay has changed Danny beyond recognition and salvagability (?sp) I must admit to appreciating the humour injected here, it makes a change from some of the intensity that stems from such wildly differing views. It made me laugh. :)

10. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

While Stella does have seniority over Danny she is not his boss and I don't agree with following the orders of your superiors without question. Should Danny follow Stella's orders if she asked him to tamper with evidence? No, of course not and even if Stella told Danny to do it, he would be an accomplice and should be in just as much trouble as she is.

In the real world, colleagues would NOT be allowed to work on cases of other colleagues. That is a conflict of interest because even if they would stick to the rules, they are co-workers and friends and a jury would tear that apart. They shouldn't have had anything to do with the Hawkes case or the Stella/Frankie case or Danny's case in RSRD or Aiden's case or anything else I'm missing. Of course it's TV and wouldn't make for a good show if they brought in others to work those cases.

Same thing goes with colleagues romantically involved with each other. With Danny and Lindsay being co-workers, one of them would have to transfer to another shift because it IS in direct violation of NYPD rules. Same thing with Flack and Angell if they actually are dating. One of them would have to transfer to another precinct. That's something else you get on TV because they don't want to bother with bringing in recurring characters to play romantic interests.

11. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

It was not the length of the comment, nor its contents, it was indeed the format. I appreciate your opinion and even I am a bit apprehensive about how this all will play out :)

My biggest fear was ultimately that if your scenario got such response and was accepted, more of those similar scenarios (with far less quality) would appear.

That's how I felt, too, albeit a bit rash perhaps ;); So I do apologize for giving you the impression that I don't value your opinion and as far as I'm concerned this matter is indeed resolved.

I don't like the idea of Adam getting involved in Stella's troubles either, but with the number of times we get reminded of how Adam is feeling about Stella, and the fact that his job is already on the line, it made me wonder if this was going to be combined and Stella ends up to be the reason for Adam to perhaps lose his job after all.

Uh...yes!

I'm sorry, but superior or not, every one has a free mind and if your superior asks or instructs you to do something you do not feel comfortable about, there is no way that you should do it. You can always contact some one else and discuss the matter.

In this case Danny will probably help Stella, not because of her rank, but simply because he wants to help out a colleague and a friend.

Like the many examples given it is true that this show takes the matter of conflict of interest with a huge grain of salt whenever it fits their needs, so undoubtedly in the end this will all blow over smoothly, too :rolleyes:

12. RearWindow

RearWindow Victim

Not to derail this thread anymore, but I'm still laughing. I loved it!

13. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Elwood--> please let me create your fans club:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: loved your satirical story:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

And i agree with you. IF someone from the lab helps Stella will be only because that someone wants to help her not because she has to force anyone.
    She is a loner because she grew up knowing she had to survived by herself. I doubt she will ask anyone some help. Probably Danny will help her because he is an expert getting into trouble;):lol: and maybe Adam will help them because of he thinks Stella in danger is not an option for him:thumbsup:

Also, wasn't there a previous spoiler that said Stella's job was going to be in jeopardy?????? If she breaks rules, Mac will be VERY peeved. And if he can't save the situation he will have to fire her which is great as storyline (even if it breaks my heart :D )
    He will be upset because she was in danger and she said nothing to him. This situation leads me to think what the heck changed in their relationship this year to have these weird behaviours from both of them.

I mean, if you analyze their relationship along all these years you can tell how close they always were. But this year even if there was just one case they barely spoke each other. The only exception was 5.06 (the dinner date!!!). And even we didn't get any "reunion2 scene at the beginning of Veritas and ZERO Smacked scenes in 5.08:( (except if you think that scene where they spoke each other by phone;)

Saying this i think the finale is very promising (And i hope it won't be ruin by any childbirth scene:angryrazz:

Melina deserves this finale and Stella too:thumbsup:

Debbie :D

ps: Any news on 5.15???? Isn't the episode where that annoying Gillian is going to leave and there is a lot of Adam there??????? Maybe that thing about his job will be solved there :D

14. Faylinn

OMG y'all! News from Kristin that isn't about DL! *makes sure I'm sitting down* She still gets in some relationship info, but at least it's about our favorite underused CSI instead.

ETA: Funnily enough, Ghawazee, that bit about the assistant mayor sounds like it refers to 5.15 - but it doesn't give any info about Gillian or Adam.

The part about Sheldon's ex-girlfriend is, of course, referring to 5.12

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  15. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

LOL! thanks Fay! :D But the mayor assistant wasn't a woman? wasn't Jordan??????

It's highly appreciated we have other news than DL

Debbie :D

ps: At this point i don't know what was Jordan's or Gillian's job :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.