"Young Man With A Horn" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Nov 29, 2008.

1. 13CSIgal

13CSIgal Victim

Overall, I thought it was a good show. I really liked the ending when Grissom and Cath were chatting it up. I liked his comment on upping the ante.
    On a side note, which I couldn't find a thread for. I went to Chicago and saw a Dublin Carol, with William Petersen. It was awesome!

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I enjoyed this episode. It kinda felt like getting back to the basics. No flashy gizmos, just the case, and solving it using forensics and your (their) brain. I loved having a case from the past. Vegas has such a fascinating history.

And, I didn't think the scene at the end was necessarily about Sara ;)

3. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

I totally agree. I was talking to a GSR friend online who had just finished watching the episode. She told me she thought the "up the ante" comment meant having a family with Sara so I already expected that to be the way the Catherine/Grissom conversation would go when I was watching the scene myself. However, I found myself pleasantly surprised. I think some people may have focused on the "work family" remark Catherine made and forgot the point of that conversation: taking risks. What Grissom meant, IMO, was leaving Vegas to take other risks and see if he could achieve something new. Of course he'll probably go after Sara, or maybe not. Either way, it'll be just part of "upping the ante" and not what he was implying. I think that scene was really well-done, and -never thought I'd say this since a few years back- I do appreciate David Rambo for writing it. :)

The old Vegas romance part was quite nice, too. Made you think.

4. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

yeah, it seemed more about Grissom in general. to me he was thinking about making a change in his life, i.e. switching the job, leaving town. eventually also reconnecting with Sara but it didn't look like the main point of the conversation at all.

5. muse2greats

muse2greats Dead on Arrival

I like so many others really liked this episode... I love old vegas stuff... heck, I love stuff from that era (1940's)... I'm young, but still a big fan of the RAT PACK...
    I really liked seeing nick and greg work together and Gil's talk at the end with Catherine.
    I can't wait til next epi.
    This episode was like Dragonfly said back to basics... It was a simple no frills show... I don't like American Idol, but this was kinda ironic... some behind the scenes stuff.... made ya think about what really happens... Nah, just kidding...
    Did anyone else think that the winner was kinda gay? Sorry, my gaydar is very good with working with a crew where almost every guy is gay...
    I loved nick's face when he and catherine discovered that she fell against the chair and killed herself... It was like he was really wanting to arrest someone...and was disappointed...

6. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Well there are two ways on this. The first is that you can discuss WP and the play in the William/Grissom discussion thread, or you could (if there isn't one) open a thread in the "General Tv & Media" forum where you could discuss the play and actor/actresses as a whole. If you just want to discuss William and his role in it, I would recommend the discussion thread for him. :)

7. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I loved the episode as a whole. It seemed well-written and I loved the plot. However, the tone felt inconsistent. The scenes where they focused on the Old Vegas, the poker scene and the concluding scene with Griss and Cath were all awesome; they had a sweetness to them and the tone was very well done. I got the feeling that the script was well-written, but there seemed to be a disconnect between the writing and the directing. A lot of the investigating-oriented scenes, especially the first scene with Greg and Riley and the one later on with Hodges and Archie, felt quite stale and totally clashed with the tone of the the sweeter scenes. It gave the whole episode a lot less of a sense of cohesion, IMO. As much as I've loved the scenes with Riley and Greg in the past, the one with them toward the beginning was awful. The dialogue felt so slow and so forced.

I'm amused at how Riley is always asking about Greg's sex life. First she asked if he'd done BDSM or something to that effect in an earlier episode and now she asks if he's stayed in a certain type of hotel. I'd say somebody's got a crush...

Greggo's got a glitter fetish. Hehe.

Overall, I'm glad we saw more Greg, and learned more about him. The old Vegas stuff was also awesome.

"30 mill ppl tune in to watch my kid every week. How many ppl want to watch you?" haha. So classic. David Rambo really is awesome.

Has Grissom ever called Hodges 'Dave' before this episode? Maybe he really did take Hodges up on the 'date.'

I really liked the actor that played Kip's dad. I know I've seen him on more than one other show before (which says something, as I really don't watch that much TV) and he really did a good job at each -- he was very memorable. I don't think the character that they gave him this time was nearly as interesting or memorable, but I'm still quite glad that they chose that particular actor.

8. ashlmorr3

ashlmorr3 Witness

That Greg liking glitter comment had me cracking and smiling at random times the entire day today. I did forget to mention that I did like the poker scene with Grissom. It wasn't like a big hollywood movie scene, all intense or anything, but it was nice. It was funny when he was walking through and everyone was greeting. It made him seem like a normal person, and not this mysterious guy who doesn't have a social life. I did laugh when Catherine asked Grissom the last time he played poker, and he said he couldn't remember.

9. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I liked the epiosde. Grissom seemed like his old self. I loved the old Vegas Greg moments, that boy is full of useful information! I liked hearing Nick mention Warrick, he hasn't forgotten about him after-all. Just seeing Nick and Greg work together makes me happy.

The scene at the club between Catherine and Greg was pretty funny, him telling her he has a glitter fetish and her little smirk, trying not to laugh.

The talk between Gil and Cath was nice, I really didn't get any Sara vibe from that. It seemed to me like it was about Grissom himself making a change, taking a chance (not necessarily with Sara).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  10. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I really liked it. It does (like some many other people have mentioned) remind me of the old CSI episodes from previous seasons. Lately it's been hit or miss if you will, with CSI. Either it's boring and has lost it's 'spark' or it's been too overdramtic but this episode was brilliant!!!

I loved the old vegas references. Tippi Hendron did remind me of Faye Dunaway's character also. And, is it just me, or does Grissom just attract these older 'old vegas' women? He and Faye Dunaway's character had great chemistry and so did Tippi Hendron's character. It was just something I noticed when I watched.

There are still some things that I must have missed or didn't quite get.
    First, the girls death was an accident?? okay so she died from falling into that chair??? Would that be enough to kill her? and she was pregnant right? Wouldn't her falling on her stomach cause her to miscarry? Maybe they touched on that and I missed it, but that's what I got out of it.
    And, if Nicky and Cath figured out that Lila (that was her name right :) ) was wearing her grandmother's old costume, why didn't they examine THAT for evidence, dust her grandmothers vanity for fingerprints, etc...
    It seemed to me they overlooked that part of evidence gathering :lol:

Greg's comment about having a glitter fetish made me smile. He seems to be getting his spark back too. For a while, he was very serious after he became a CSI. I'm glad he's relaxing a little and having some fun.

I have to say, Grissom has fallen out of my good graces lately. But now that he's leaving and he will no longer be on the show, it sort of sparked my interest in him again. The scene with him playing poker was the sexiest thing I have seen. :drool: Who knew the bugman had a life??? Those are the kind of personal moments I personally like to see about the character, little insights into their lives outside the lab. That, and Cath mentioning that she and Lindsey voted for Lila on the talent show. Again small insights into their personal life without it being overbearing.

As a Cath/Gil shipper that ending scene was the sweetest thing between them we have seen in a long time. It's about time they were talking to each other. I figured he would confide in her about his life, Sara, etc.. but the way it was done was just perfect. And when he said it was time to UP the ANTE, I didn't think he was referring to Sara. He was again, as most have said, talking about moving on with his life, leaving Vegas, starting again...

Overall, one of the better episode. This season has been great so far. :D

11. ashlmorr3

ashlmorr3 Witness

Yeah, that scene with the club owner and Grissom in the car did remind me of that scene with Faye Dunaway's character and Grissom in the "Kiss Kiss" episode. And yes, the scene with Grissom playing poker was very sexy.

12. muse2greats

muse2greats Dead on Arrival

Did anyone else see the look Greg gave Nick when Nick mentioned Warrick? I'm going to have to go back and look, but It was rather sad if I remember right. It made me feel like Greg had more of a friendship w/ Warrick then we thought. It's like they never actually showed us that the two of them were good friends. I think it's great that they did actually mention him in this episode.

13. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I thought it was a good episode, well written, although I was a little bummed that the first killing was just an accident. CSI does that a lot it seems. And I didn't really buy the reason Harry confessed, or moved the body. But the real story was the old murder and the forbidden love.
    Loved seeing the old actors play poker, esp Ralph Waite. And funny him calling Grissom 'son'. Reminded me of the Waltons.
    I missed Warrick alot in this episode. It was nice to hear him referenced.
    I liked the AI reference. Good to know Catherine and Lindsey do something together!
    I do believe the talk between Grissom and Catherine was meant to be about Sara. In the past Catherine has had to tell him what to do (send the plant, 'go after her' etc), but this time he finally figured it out himself. I liked the determination in his voice when he said 'time to up the ante'. Gil Grissom has come full circle: he came to Vegas to get money for a girl, who he lost because his work was more important; and now he will give up his work to go after a girl because she is more important. I don't think a 'work family' is enough for him anymore. And I think Catherine sees this change in him more than anyone.
    I'm sure the end scene was meant to be ambiguous just like all the other ones we have had this year. But that's my interpretation FWIW.

14. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I'm not big on GSR, but I really like your interpretation.

15. wlk68

wlk68 Pathologist

I noticed the look as well. I got the impression that, for a tiny second, Nick forgot that Warrick was dead and just blurted out what he did. It was only after the fact that he realized what he said and then both he and Greg just kind of stared at each other, acknowledging the fact that they would never be doing anything with Warrick again. :(

That happened to me a couple of times right after my grandmother died. I'd reach for the phone to give her a call and then realize I couldn't.