Grade 'The Box'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 26, 2008.

?

How would you grade The Box?

1. A+

35 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. A

20 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. B

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. B-

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  11. D

14 vote(s)
    11.9%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  13. F

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Last episode of November sweeps tonight...not to mention a bit of potential controversy. ;) Let us know what you thought of it!

2. Enhinti

Enhinti Rookie

I'm so exsited!
    The A story is intriguing. The corps of a woman who had a crud cesarean after she was murdered?
    :eek:
    And then the baby!
    Will Danny and Lindsay keep it a secret? (They have to tell Mac, eventually.)
    And if they tell people, what will the reactions be?
    :shifty:

3. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Carmine's talent as an actor and the fact that the case is interesting are just about the only things that keep this episode afloat....I'll be a little more in depth after the episode airs in the US as well..

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  4. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

Anna was right, they dealt with it in a honest and loving way.
    Carmine is an amazing actor.
    I gave it an A+

5. messygirl73

messygirl73 Witness

So far I am loving it. It is revolving around Danny. You guys know I love me some Danny Messer.

6. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

D

Oy vey… where to start? I guess I’ll tackle this mess in the same order they dud—err did.

Right off the bat I was ok with the direction of it, at least how they were going to relay it to me, but then the more I considered it the more I thought it’s not surprising they chose to present this story from Danny’s POV. He’s about a million times more interesting and twice as well liked as the dead weight they make Carmine haul around through his storylines. Frankly, the fact that she’s the one carrying a child and they didn’t bother to give us her perspective, which they rarely do anyway, only says to me she’s too one dimensional to HAVE a perspective, let alone have anyone be interested in it.

I love hearing about Danny’s back-story, his start in amateur ball and how he wound up in law-enforcement instead. Carmine is so captivating when he’s got a good piece of script to work with. Interesting comparison though --he’s talking about major life changes-- an event which at the time would have been one of the most devastating events of his young life is compared to finding out he’s fathering Lindsay’s child. That’s an interesting comparison. What does that say about how he feels about the whole situation? Nothing good.

Whether or not that was a kind of Freudian slip on the part of the writer’s I’m not sure, but they seem to think they can patch that up by having him say something good about her. Too bad he DIDN’T actually say anything “good”. “Lindsay Monroe... she’s from Montana. Her dad bought her a fly fishing rod for her either birthday…” That’s nice… Nothing about how you feel about her? No thoughts on that? Everything he says might say something about how “different” she is, because he’s “never met a woman like that…” but when he finally DOES elaborate on his feelings the BEST they can come up with is for him is to actually just plain SAY “she’s a good thing” They can’t mention how, or why, aside to say different is good. Wow. Little known fact by the way, different is NOT a synonym for good, and the fact that he doesn’t clear that up makes me highly skeptical. I watched the whole thing feeling like he’s quite intentionally not mentioning his feelings for her in strict accordance with the sage wisdom “if you’ve got nothing good to say…”

While I’m dissecting Danny’s words, I have to consider this line “she’s never lied to me before” According to who? That was a confusing one to me, because I’m not sure how one is ever supposed to know if they’ve been lied to unless the truth comes out. If someone gets away with it how are you ever gonna know?

On the subject of lies, Danny and Lindsay are both guilty now. They’re both running around keeping things from each other and practically living separate lives, just the kind of mindset you want to enter into a parenting relationship with. </ sarcasm>

Lies, and secrets aside for a couple who according to some “love each other” Lindsay sure doesn’t hold back the low blows, at the man who could wind up raising a child with her, first chance she gets.

“Danny, I know you.”
    “What’s that supposed to mean?”
    “I just mean I’m not expecting anything.”

Niiiiiiice… attack his character and integrity as a human being full on! Yah, that’s definitely the kind of maturity we should see in a mother-to-be! And just what the hell is she basing this on? What does she know about Danny’s views on parenthood or how he’d fare as a father when she hasn’t even given him a chance to be one? I’m already feeling sorry for the poor kid.

And I’m certain the rebuttal here will be something like: she’s emotional, this is a stressful time for her, yadda, yadda, yadda, and to that I say grow up, Lindsay. It’s as much your fault as it is his that you’re in this mess, so don’t go taking your frustrations out on anyone. If you didn’t want him to react this way, maybe you shouldn’t have waited for him to piece it together, acted your age, sat him down and talked about it in the privacy of someone’s home. Takes two to tango and all that. Secondly, school your outbursts. You’re both supposed to be grown ups now. It’s a scary thought when it looks like DANNY MESSER is going to be the adult here and end up parenting two children with her around.

On the up side, seeing introspective Danny on his bike was nice. He definitely seems happiest when he’s off being alone, true to the nature of the original, season one Danny Messer I’ve always loved.

And lastly, I can only hope that symbolism means something to these people; that it doesn’t just happen by coincidence or happy accident in their writing and directing. If semiotics mean anything at all, I hope to God the fact that they DIDN’T hold hands in the end foreshadows the outcome of their little relationship, that being: close but not quite. A closeness, maybe even a touch, but not a hand-hold, says to me that while they might end up being able to parent this thing, they won’t likely wind up together. If that is how it works out, that would be the most grown up and realistic outcome I’ve seen from this show so far, but that doesn’t mean it’ll restore my faith in TPTB. They still jumped a shark (look it up) from the get go with this storyline.

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Ok, I'm mixing things up this week by writing (sorta) paragraphs. Dun-dun-duuuuun! It's shocking, I know. :p

First of all - I thought AJ said this was like the BEST EPISODE EVAR! or something. Um...sorry, AJ darling, but I have to say I don't agree with you there. It kind of dragged ass, and all of the scenes with just Danny were...

Well, they were really standard. I thought Veasey said this wasn't going to be typical? 'It's life-changing.' 'I thought it would be a case like any other, but man was I wrong.' Blah blah blah.

I'm rolling my eyes at them spinning the Rikki situation - but moreso at the way they only seem to have Danny and Lindsay magically act couple-y when it's relevant to the plot.

Subtlety, PTB, you kinda suck at it.

Also, Anna Belknap needs to NEVER try to emote again. When she was walking down the hall and Danny was chasing after her and she was supposed to be almost-crying when she talked? *cringes* Also, how can Danny ask if she's "sure" she's pregnant when they do such a shitty job of covering Anna's stomach? :rolleyes: (Yes, I know, we're not supposed to see that, but it's hard to miss.)

Anyway, Lindsay being in avoidance mode was also typical. Same old, same old - can we get some new material? The only other thing they could do to make it worse is to point out that she's from Montana.

Oh, wait. :rolleyes:

Danny looked very squinty and confused in the whole episode - it's not a good look. In fact, it's pretty unattractive.

Flack, however, is terribly pretty. And Sheldon makes a jumpsuit look good. ;)

I love Sid and Sheldon working together. However, does Adam only talk to Stella now? He had, what, one scene where he spoke to Mac and otherwise only spoke to Stella. Yes, we get it. Subtlety: you're doing it wrong.

The case itself was...nothing new. Been there, done that.

Okay, I've been writing this during the end of the episode - so I just saw the motorcycle ride and such. CORNY SCENE IS CORNY. I'm sorry, Lenkov, but this is right up there with the end of "Super Men". Corny and so not subtle.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA @ the end. I'm sorry, I can't help myself. That last scene made my Lame-O-Meter go crazy.

Adam, Flack, Sid and 'Docta Hawkes' are gonna have to keep me watching this show if that episode is any indication of what's in store for me as a viewer for the rest of the show's run. :rolleyes:

Preview: 'The triangle strikes again' - DUN DUN DUUUUUUN! :p

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  8. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

Carmine was great in the episode, but I just did not feel it...Love you AJ, but it was not the best episode ever...not even the best episode of the season

Really Lindsey, you know Danny? Really, maybe you should give him a chance to process the info, Danny is emotional, but he would never abandon someone he loves.

I'll still keep my fantasies of Flack and Danny on the motorcycle together..mmm

9. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

Great episode, but why would Danny just start telling people all about his life like that? I know he has a big change coming but still....that's just odd.

Flack looked absolutely great tonight! Love casual Flack! More Flack in jeans please! :drool::drool:

Anna looked beautiful as always. I was wondering if maybe that's a real ultrasound picture. Cause why not?

10. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I don't know how I feel about this episode. I mean, I didn't mind how they revealed the pregnancy. It was definitely better than I was expecting. But... I don't know, the whole non-therapy therapy thing confused me a bit.

I have to admit that at the end I was like "JUST HOLD HANDS ALREADY", but that might have been because if they are a couple, just be a freaking couple. None of this "they will never be in the same room, ever" crap.

I don't know. There seem to be a lot of actress pregnancies incorporated into their shows lately, at least on shows I watch, and between Without A Trace and Criminal Minds, I don't know if I can handle another one... especially if they keep the "D/L Dance" up.

11. lynerjy

lynerjy Victim

Yeah the hand-holding saved the fiasco for me... Unfortunately circumstances kind of sprung this story line on them, and the thing is at least the show seems to be fully aware of how these two are not equipped for a kid and didn't pretend there was all of a sudden a magical relationship between them.. so good. I think we're decent hands..!

12. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

Flack needs to be in jeans more often(or even nothing at all haha...you too Danny)

13. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

Firstly, as soon as I saw this was gonna be a sorta flashback, Danny's POV episode, I was like, "love it." I never liked the idea of Danny and Lindsay having a baby together; it seemed so... I dont know. Wierd! Unnatural, maybe? I was like, just "cover" Anna's belly and leave it out! BUT, I really, really liked they way they did this epiosde. AND, yes, contratry to the majority on here, I am now possibly excited (I use that word lightly; it's probably an overexaggeration of my feelings...) to see how it's gonna work with them being parents. I think it's kinda cool they are having a baby.
    ALSO, I'm very sick everyone saying how bad of an actor Anna is. I totally disagree. And that's all I say- I dont wanna create a huge discussion.
    Also, the whole I-cant-have-a-baby-so-I'll-steal-someone-else's is done way too often, but I think it fit, with the whole Danny and Lindsay situation.

And, yes, the motorcycle scene- corny as hell. But, seriously, Carmine on a motorcycle? Just take it in. Silly or not.

Also, holy-gray-hairs Don Flack. :lol:

14. madgeorge

madgeorge Coroner

Pregnant?

REALLY?

Time of death(or, when the shark was officially jumped)... 10:39pm, November 26, 2008.

RIP CSI:NY.

15. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

It is a real ultrasound, but it's not Anna's. It belongs to one of the writers' wives. Don't remember who.

I found this episode to be, well, painful, to be honest. It made me fear for the shows future.

I'm also really tired, and kinda grouchy, so that may have had some impact on my opinion.