Grade 'My Name is Mac Taylor'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 19, 2008.

?

How would you grade My Name is Mac Taylor?

1. A+

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. A

23 vote(s)
    30.7%
  3. A-

12 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. B+

16 vote(s)
    21.3%
  5. B

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

I think they said 6, but maybe someone else can verify that?

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

It was 3. :) Which to be honest is still surprising. Surely both Sheldon and Hawkes aren't particularly common names. 3 seems like a lot to me, I would have fully expected Hawkes to be the only one with that name, just as Stella is the only one in New York with hers. :lol: The whole scene was rather lovely though, it made me smile.

eta: There was 6 people called Don Flack...

3. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

But how many "Lindsay Monroes" were there? I guess we'll never know!

4. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

God, what an underwhelming episode of CSI:NY. I knew things were going to be eye-rollingly squiffy when the opening shot was the number 100 frosted prominently onto the glass door. Very subtle, there, NY. I bet the AV/Drama Guild/Glee Club of Beverly Hills High is just chuffed that you took their production advice to heart.

This episode, despite its promises to "kill Mac Taylor" was absolutely devoid of suspense. I knew Mac was never going to be in danger, and I also knew that the case would be neatly resolved in forty minutes. The only surprise came when it was revealed that for once, Mac Taylor wasn't the primary target. I was convinced that we were in for yet another round of "This is Your Life, Mac Taylor," since NY is obsessed with hammering home the idea that Mac is the stud of the show, and therefore, the sun around which the NY cosmos must revolve. When it turned out that a different Mac Taylor was the focus of the killer's rage, I was impressed.

For about ten seconds, until I realized that the writers had relied so heavily on the magical mojo cool factor of stunt casting that they didn't bother with a script. Instead, they cobbled together bits of dialogue and disjointed scenes that looked good out of context, patched them together with brief, uninspired appearances by "high-profile" guest stars, threw it into a blender, and called it good. The case was boring and had no texture whatsoever, and frankly, the arrest in Nelly's nightclub was so infested with WTF that I thought it had been shot in bad trip millimeter to cover up the fact that the makeup artist and Eddie's stunt double had left the set in mid-production to open a ganja farm and bathing optional hippie commune in Barbados.

The pace was terrible. It was slow in spots and jumbled and hurried in others, and I couldn't shake the feeling that this episode was shot on breaks from more important projects, like the lighting director's small-screen debut in a Jack in the Box ad. Scott Wolfe was mailing it in as Mac "Quinn" Taylor, and even Sinise seemed bored, as though his Righteous Might pants were beginning to chafe.

The only guest actor who tried was Mr. Oka, who did his best with some godawful angsty movie of the week dialogue. The tone and timbre of his grief were true, but the language in which it was spoken was not. It was trite, weak, and forced. "Like it never even happened." OK. I got you. What else?

"Like it never happened." Yeah, I got that part. Anything else? Like the dreams you'd hoped to share and build together? The loneliness? The emptiness?

"Like it never happened."

OK. I see. Look, Mr. One-Note Oka, would you mind hurling yourself atop the candles now? I'd really like this drivel to end.

Dear Flack,

I love you, I really do. I love you so much that I have numerous fantasies in which I liberate you from the oppression of your clothes. However, you assessment of Mr. Oka was harsh. Not incorrect, I suppose, but harsh.

Yes, Mr. Oka was obsessed, but he wasn't a creepy stalker psychopath, following Kitano home from work and flogging his bishop outside her bathroom window while she slathered her nethers in Nair. He was her lover, and he'd watched her die like a dog in the middle of the deserted road because some jackass couldn't be assed to stop and take responsibility. One type of obsession is born of a dangerous psychopathy; the other is born of deep and terrible grief.

Are you telling me, dear Flack, that you would never obsess over wrongs done to those you loved? You told Danny a few weeks ago that if someone ever hurt your sister, "They'd never find the bodies." Hurt her. Not kill her. Are you telling me that if some asswad ran her down and left her to die, you wouldn't spend the rest of your life hunting them down? Not to kill them, per se, but at least to bring them to justice?

That's what I thought.

And if you please, I'd rather not discuss the unappealing prospect of Mac tapping his superior's prim, Captain Janeway, nausea-inspiring ass.

"She looked back." Are you kidding me? I could hear Mac popping a stiffy, and it was creepy, adolescent, and inappropriate. Good God. Why does every female character on this show need to have their honeypot stirred by one of the men? Make it stop.

The only scene worth watching in this borefest was between Adam and Stella at the end. That had pop and zest, and no, TPTB, that doesn't mean I want to see Adam's AMC Gremlin rocking to the rhythm of drilling for Stella's oil. It means I saw a true warmth there, the kind that doesn't necessitate lube and a ball gag.

And it's petty, but Adam never looked up the number of Lindsay Monroes. Hahaha. If he had, he might've been tempted to hit the DEL key until she was gone, gone, gone.

Too bad nobody did that to the master copy of this abysmal dud.

F

5. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I have to say I wasn't blown away it was a good ep i give it that and the fact that someone wasn't actually after Mac was a surprise because I was expecting full focus only on him but yeah was pleasantly surprised when it wasnt him the guy was after.

The new DI she seems to already know a lot about Mac i'm guessing his repuation is one thing that sticks around but seems they have good dynamic and the scene at the end was cute slightly odd coming from Mac tho.

Flack and Danny scenes are priceless always get a laugh.

And the end was really strange a scene i didn't expect but it was really nice the way they were looking up teh names and Sid poor guy but very amusing.

And the promo for next week definately interesting was watching it on the comp computer on my break and i swear got a wierd look from one of guys as he came up.

6. semishade

semishade Civilian

Did anyone else see the first (dead) Mac Taylor take a breath on the table? I played the scene back a few times and his chest definitely moved. A little anniversary joke perhaps?

7. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

I saw that too!
    I thought I had just imagined it. Glad to know I'm not completely crazy. ;)
    I don't figure that it was a joke though, the guy probably just had to breathe. :p

8. EmilyRocks

EmilyRocks Police Officer

ya know, I was looking for the number 100 to be placed in weird places throughout the epi but only saw a 100 at the beginning of the episode. (That's what made me keep looking for them) no such luck though.
    I really enjoyed this one.
    I thought it was funny when Flack said something like "Hey that was Marshall Faulk" and Danny said, "Looked more like Tiki Barber to me" :guffaw:

I give this one an A.

9. chikitorocks

chikitorocks Victim

I gave it a B+.

It's good, but it wasn't what I expected. I guess I wanted much more 'thrill' since it is the 100th episode.

Just sayin'.

:)

10. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I had a tough time trying to grade this one and in the end, gave it a B-, which may be a bit too high...but since it was the 100th ep, I was feeling generous.

There were some good moments and scenes, but I don't think the many pieces gelled well and I agree the pacing seemed off. Strangely enough, I found the case itself interesting in premise, but the execution somewhat lacking. A number of times I found my attention drifting, especially during some of the talky evidence gathering and processing scenes, and that usually doesn't happen.

Can't say the stunt casting did much for me. I'm not really a fan of any of those guest stars and wouldn't have known whom some of them were. And don't worry, Danny, I didn't recognize Marshall Faulk(sp?) either, but I do know what Tiki Barber (or maybe it's his brother) looks like.

I did like the Nelly/Flack/Danny scenes. Loved the Starsky & Hutch and Crockett references. And Danny and Flack in interrogation had its moments as well.

Thought they did a good job with Mac's swimming scene -- interesting to see things from Mac's veiwpoint -- the ballerinas framed in one of the windows across the way, the man's legs at poolside, the couple playing around, etc.

I also liked the Mac/Stella split screen convo and the Adam/Stella scene at the end -- very sweet. If they're going to continue with this Adam/Stella "crush" storyline, that's the type of interaction I'd like to see -- light, friendly, and sweet. And no, I can't see the writers putting those two together in a serious way. For me, that would sorta be like Stella dating her wacky but loveable nephew.

Re: Gillian Whitmore...for me the jury's still out for this character. On the plus side, she didn't seem intimidated by Mac and wasn't exactly swooning over him either. What surprised me is that the character actually came off as rather flat, and there wasn't really anything distinctive that stood out in her looks or personality. I guess I expected more sparkage in their scenes as well, considering the potential love interest angle.

That made the last scene all the more jarring. Based on what was shown onscreen from their first meeting, there wasn't much there to account for Mac suddenly acting like a smitten schoolboy. It was interesting to see, if even briefly, a different side of Mac, but there's a difference between broadening Mac and actually giving him a different personality, and I hope the writers know where that line is -- for the sake of the character and the series. Guess we'll see what happens.

Hmm, next week's ep looks...interesting.

11. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I watched the ep in it's entirety a day late, so much of what I want to say has already been said very well by everyone else! I gave it a B+, although my first instinct was to give it a B or B-, I must admit. Mainly because, as some of you mentioned (particularly La Guera, so eloquently as always! ;) ), the pacing seemed a bit off. Made me wonder if it came down to editing problems, initially trying to stuff too much into an hour-long episode, and having problems figuring what to cut? At any rate, it seemed choppy here and there.

The premise was fun, and even an old die-hard Mac Whore like myself was pleased to see that it wasn't "Our Mac", as Flack said, in the crosshairs, for once. (Yes, even Mac Whores tire of Mac Persecution, once in awhile :lol:). The guest stars, although overdone and unnecessary (anyone could have performed those small roles), weren't bad at all. Rumer Willis and Scott Foley were very good, Chris Daughtry was much better than I anticipated, and the gentleman who played Daniel Oka (sorry, don't have his name) was excellent, I thought. I thought it was fairly easy to spot Foley as the "guilty" Mac Taylor, after all he was the biggest name of the guest stars, but that didn't bother me much, that's often the case in any crime show. :p

I often maintain that I find Danny's character much more likeable specifically when he's paired up with Flack, and this ep was no exception. I did enjoy their "Starsky and Hutch" routine with Nelly playing the original S&H's "Snuggy Bear"; Flack's snarky humor, as always, was the stand-out for me. Eddie never hits a sour note, he's so perfect in this role.

Enjoyed Mac's swimming pool scene, that was very nicely filmed and edited. Didn't find his mild flirtation with Gillian as repelling as I figured I surely would, although it seemed OOC, for him to go from headstrong and argumentive in their first scene together, to friendly and flirtatious in their second scene (although it was a cute bit, them reversing their dialogue from the 1st to 2nd scene with the coffee invitation).

Always wonderful to see Sid, Sheldon and Adam doing what they do best. I just love these guys to pieces. Lindsay was pretty good too, but Wow! even someone who has no idea the real life actress is pregnant, could not fail to see that she was very pregnant, in this ep. Certainly no attempts to hide it, that's for sure.

Great final scene with Adam and Stella. I didn't get a "Crush" vibe at all, not a serious one anyway, but certainly great affection. It was fun, the type of character interaction scene that NY does very well when the writers want to, and should do more of, IMO, instead of the various romantic angles that they seem doggedly determined to pursue. :rolleyes:

Finally, a few posters mentioned all the times they said "Mac" in this ep. :lol: Reminds me of an old college frat/sorority game we played back in "My Old Days", ;) with reruns of the "Bob Newhart Show" (the first one). You had to drink, every time someone said "Bob" (which was often an impressive 20 or more times in 1 half-hour show, making it a rather popular drinking game :eek: ) Wow, that revelation definitely ages me... *sigh*

12. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I graded this episode A+, it was brilliant, the best of this season so far.:thumbsup:

13. AbbyD

AbbyD Dead on Arrival

Ahhh, the ever popular "Drink Bob" game. I remember it well! Not to mention the hangovers which often went with it. You and I must date to the same layer of the archeological record. In fond memory, I'll think I'll play a round of Drink Mac with this epi. Anyone care to join me? :devil:

No a fantastic episode, but it had good moments. The best of course were the Danny/Flack bits. So far this season we've had some great bits between them showing their friendship. I think it is the last we'll see of it because of the impending baby bomb.

I also thought the whole thing at the end with Mac and the Deputy Inspector was more stupid pairing off of characters. What is with TPTB? Why do they have this deep seated need to pair everybody off with co-workers? It's annoying.

I also enjoyed the little snippet with Adam and Stella looking up names. So cute. I did notice that Lindsey was omitted and that gave me a big chuckle.

14. Enhinti

Enhinti Rookie

Hi, everyone!

I loved this episode! It was great!
    The best part was where Mac (our Mac) was swimming and sees the girls in the dance class practicing and then sees the killer walking.
    I liked how it was a revenge killing and not some wacko.
    And the ending was perfect with Stella and Adam. I don't think that their going to pair Stella with the nerdy guy but you just know he has a major crush on her!
    I don't know about the inspector, though. She's a copy of Peyton but without the accent.

15. jolein

jolein Pathologist

I rarely comment on episode because there are people on this board who are much better in that but I thought this episode was better then I expected it to be.