Why Lindsay Must Go (Part 3)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dopebabygirl

dopebabygirl CSI Level Two

I'm shocked and I can't belive it :wtf: :eek:
    How did she pass? I don't want to be mean but.... i bet you totally understand me

2. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

Well, does an MFA mean that she took a lot of acting classes or something? I thought Fine Arts was a mix of a lot of different areas in the arts? Maybe I misunderstood that? :confused:

In any case, yes, she could use a little polishing.

3. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

:lol: You're not the only one who's wondered that. For those interested, this is the MFA course she studied, at the American Conservatory Theater. The fees are US$16,460 per year, which is cheaper than a lot of Masters courses I've come across. Heck, a graduate course in writing at an accredited, well-known university/college can cost up to a whoopin' US$30,000 per year, and that's not including accommodation and transport cost.

This particular piece of info from the MFA page is interesting to note:

Yep, that's basically all that's needed to get the MFA. And according to this website, career placement is at about 75%.

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The main point is that her MFA is specifically in acting since the school she went to was the American Conservatory Theater. No matter what the cost of the school you'd think someone with an MFA concentrated in acting wouldn't suck as much as AB and be cast as a main character on one of the most sucessful franchises in the world's shows.

5. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

:lol: Yeah, I know. I was only casually commenting on the cost because I was researching college fees in the US a while back. I had expected the cost of such an acting program to be much higher. Is it the norm that the higher the fees are, the better the school is supposed to be?

It's the requirements bit that amuses me somewhat. And heh, the fact she has this MFA and obviously, in a painful way, is incapable of acting unless it's very limited in terms of emoting and on screen time.

6. dopebabygirl

maybe she lied having MFA? lol :confused:

7. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

I think in another thread here, someone mentioned that she was much better on another TV show. So, how and why did her skills go downhill for CSI:NY? I have never seen her in anything else, so I can't speak about other work, but I am disappointed in her skills here. Just my 2 cents.

8. louise_dk

louise_dk Dead on Arrival

"Child Play" is on TV in Denmark right now (1st time ever)... It was soo easy to see that Lindsay was acting with the whole "Laughing Larry" thing.

All the other actors make it seem real when they act, it is hard regarding Anna/Lindsay

9. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

That seems to be a common problem she has, in any episode I've seen her in. She never actually feels like Lindsay--I can always see Anna there saying the lines. Last night was no different--never mind that the comments Lindsay was making (about the bad sex, dirty underwear, etc) don't seem to fit her character at all, it didn't seem like Anna was doing anything other than reading them off a script at a cued moment.

10. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

She was in a show called Medical Investigation which was canceled after one season. I believe she was the PR person of the team, and as far as I remember, she didn't do much emoting there either. Mostly she just stood in one corner of the room whenever there was a meeting and nodded and 'read out her lines', while in hallway scenes it was the same except she was walking instead. :lol:

There was only one episode I can recall where there was some additional focus on her character. She had about two scenes with a child whose parents died in some earthquake or something, and her character was supposed to feel this maternal sympathy for the boy or something. So guess how she attempted to portray her character's concern?

The scrunch face. :guffaw:

Yeah, CSI:NY was not the first show she's used it before, and neither is her lack of emoting anything all that new.

Agreed. I thought the scene started out alright and then went into overkill at an attempt to endear Lindsay to the audience. You can see more and more clearly that Flack is her prop as the scene goes on. If you want proof of that, all you gotta do is 'shut out' Flack (cover Flack with your hand) and just look at Lindsay and you'll see what I mean. Without Flack in the scene, she would have fallen flat on her face in the humor category. Even Stella had more emotion in one moment (when she gazed at both of them after she mentions owning sea monkeys or something) than Lindsay had in that entire scene.

Lindsay needing to be propped up in even such a simple scene ruined it for me. It sucked out any believability and kept reminding me they were just actors following a script, which is no good at all for viewers who want to immerse themselves in the show's 'world'.

Bingo. As I and a few others mentioned earlier, Belknap comes across as if she's a kid in a school play who thinks it's all just a joke/fun/pretend and isn't taking any of it seriously. Acting is far more than just standing there in front of the camera and spewing out lines and 'not needing chemistry to act with others'. (That came straight from Belknap herself in an interview, by the way) If that was it, then anyone can do it.

But that isn't true at all. There's a reason why only some actors and actresses go on to win Academy awards and the others don't; you need to do more than just the basics, you need great, genuine talent and tons and tons of hard work to build that talent too. When someone is merely cruising through a job, people can tell, no matter what job it is.

And yeah, you're not the only one who thinks the comment did not fit her character at all. Mostly because she's a very unfunny character.

Funny trivia: Did you guys know Belknap wanted to do comedy? She felt she had 'the face for it'.

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I watched Medical Investigation - it aired the same time as the first season of NY, I believe. I loved the show, but I didn't see every episode. Actually, it took me most of the one and only season to realize that Eva (Anna's character) and Frank weren't actually doctors. Doh! When I heard someone from MI was going to be on NY, I was excited - I thought it would be Kelli Williams. When I found out it was Anna, I had to use the internet to figure out who she was. I don't know if I even remembered her character.

Yeah, I guess I didn't watch too closely (but then again, you're talking to the girl who took most of the first season of Supernatural to be able to say which Winchester was Sam and which was Dean - the names just didn't want to sort themselves out in my head. And I had to make myself memorize the character names on CSI: Miami and even NY).

Anyway, at some point in the past year or two, I watched an episode of MI (the first episode, I believe). It was obvious what Eva's job was, so I don't know why I didn't remember. Anyway - my lip kind of curled at Anna's scenes. I dunno, maybe I just tuned her out when I first watched it? Who knows. Suffice it to say she was pretty much exactly the same on there as she is on NY - okay acting, not the best. It might have helped that on MI, the other actors weren't as good as the other actors on NY. I mean, my mom wanted to have all of Neal McDonough's babies, and I loved him in Tin Man, but let's be honest - he's no Gary Sinise. NY's cast has such a high caliber of acting skill that Anna looks like an amateur working next to a master - it stands out.

So basically, Anna was better on MI by virtue of the fact that the others weren't as far beyond her in skill as they are on NY. That's not to say they weren't good, or that I didn't enjoy the show, but there you go.

(I mean hell, I watched the first season of Dante's Cove and I'm trying to resist the urge to order the second season online - and the acting on there sucks b*lls. Anna might have something on some members of that cast - although the boys are so very pretty.)

12. louise_dk

louise_dk Dead on Arrival

Yesterday I found one of the cheers on TV Guide's website, and they were talking about the Rikki/Danny chemistry, and Carmine said that Jacqueline was amazing at her performance/acting on the show:
    http://tv.yahoo.com/contributor/440...080930:052270ca15eb53f5e2a5bfc0480184da__ER:1

Has he ever said that about Anna? No, they always start talking about her kids...

And in the exact same interview Carmine said that the "thing" between D and L was stagnant. Even the writers said the storyline changed because of AB's pregnancy..

13. dopebabygirl

Rikki was a lot better that lindsay
    I don't think carmine like the storyline between him and anna.

btw..there is and never was any passion between Danny and Lindsay :rolleyes:

14. privatename

privatename Rookie

I never saw any chemistry between Danny and Lindsay. As a matter of fact, it always puzzled me as to what exactly Danny saw in Lindsay.She really isn't outwardly very attractive and Idon't see Lindsay as having any charm or warmth and I find her to be annyoing and selfish so there is nothing that would seem to make her attractive. However, obviously attractiveness is subjective. Danny doesn't really have the type of looks that appeal to me, but I can definitely see why people would find him attractive and it has as much, if not more, to do with his personality (his passion and warmth) than he physical looks.

I was watching the episode where Lindsay leaves the evidence out in the lab and then has the scene with Mac where he is "more worried" about her then about her potentially damaging a case and it just re-enforced to me how very unappealing the character of Lindsay is. She was annoying with her explanation (really did you have to get in the trunk), her first instinct was to say that Danny was right there and he would have taken care of it for her (still doesn't excuse what she did) and she kept making this weird face when she was emoting about how stupid she was to get involved with a co-worker. Really, overall, just a bad scene on so many levels.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  15. magicmunchies

magicmunchies Lab Technician

Theres probably more chemistry between danny and a half blind, deaf and incontinent donkey than between Danny and Lindsay.

One theory I have about AB is I'm guessing she started off in theatre right?! She won an award for some Shakespeare thing in 2002 and has a bit of stage cred. Anyway you have to be kinda ott to get your point across on stage, so she might have been told to tone it down a bit with the emotions only shes probably lost all acting ability. Or simply she sees video cameras and can't act to save her self. What do i know anyway?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.