Riley/Lauren Lee Smith

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by happyharper13, Oct 26, 2008.

1. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

With her debut episode finally up, it seems about time to get a discussion forum for the newest CSI!

(I've been browsing this site for a while, but I just got an account for the first time in the last few weeks; consequentially, I might be a bit choppy on the rules on creating threads. Please let me know if there's something I need to change about this one.)

Anyways, what did you guys think? Do we finally have a 'new girl' that will stay, and fit in with the team, or do you think she'll last as long as Ronnie Lake? Does she have a distinct enough character, or do you think she's just another Mary-Sue?

I heard a lot of different opinions on the 'Life Imitates Art' (or was it the other way around...) discussion board, though personally I think she's going to be a great character. I know some people complained that it was unfair that her character was explored as much as it was in one single episode. (I think someone pointed out that we already know her parents were shrinks and that she spent a good part of her childhood getting psychoanalyzed whereas, after 8 seasons, we still know nothing about Greg's parents, other than about his mother's paranoia.) Personally, I look forward to seeing more character development and background for ALL CSIs, Riley included.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
  2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think she's here to stay. Ronnie was never intended to be a permanent character. She was only someone for Sara to interact with when Sara got moved to a different shift due to her relationship with Grissom.

I don't think Riley is a Mary-Sue either. I think she's interesting and unique and fun and I like her. :)

3. byline

byline CSI Level One

I thought Thursday night's episode was a great debut for her. The case they were investigating was riveting, and as introductions of new characters go, hers was one of the better ones. How refreshing it is to see a portrayal of a capable, confident young woman in a starring role, as opposed to the countless neurotic, insecure characters populating TV these days.

Lauren Lee Smith's Riley Adams reminds me a lot of Jorja Fox's Sara Sidle . . . before the writers turned her into the kind of female TV character I've come to loathe (even though I managed to continue liking Sara despite all that). Let's hope they don't go down that road again.

4. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

I like her. She's quirky, intuitive, has her own skills to bring to the table, as well as her own emotional baggage.

I loved the way she immediately jumped in without complaint, even when the grief counselor warned her that this wouldn't be the easiest situation to come into.

I just hope they don't have her baggage overtake everything other aspect of her character. I think she's got a lot of potential, and if she's used correctly, she'll be a magnificent addition to the team.

I do wish they'd bring Ronnie Lake back, too. Initially she was only there as someone to interact with and be a contrast to Sara when she went to the Swing Shift. Bright, young, vivacious energetic Ronnie with a million questions vs Sara who was jaded, and beginning to burn out; but then I really loved the way she started interracting with Catherine and Greg...I can't remember if she worked much with the rest of the team, but I really liked what I saw.

I'd love to see both Ronnie and Riley. I think they'd make a great team, but in absence of Ronnie, I think Riley would be great.

5. my_last_chance

my_last_chance Police Officer

I was actually surprised--I thought her character was great! Before I'd seen the episode, I thought I was going to really dislike Riley Adams, but after her debut episode, I think she's going to be one of my favorite characters.

I love her sarcasm, not many of the other characters have that kind of dry wit. I look forward to more Riley/Catherine interactions. Riley's joke about the drugs was entertaining, at least to me, anyways. xD

6. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I haven't seen the full ep yet (just bits and pieces). But from what I've seen she looks like she'll be a really interesting addition to the cast. I think she's here to stay, and I actually think I'll really like her character. First impressions were quite good anyway (I guess I'll know more when I actually watch the whole ep). I agree with my_last_chance, it'll be great to see her interactions with Catherine, with the sarcasm/ dry wit that they both have.

7. Susanne81

Susanne81 Civilian

Hi,

I am new here and would like to chat with you about her. I really liked her debut episode.

8. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Great to have you aboard, Susanne! It's great to have more LLS fans here.

I was pleased with the way they've introduced the character. Her "I don't know these people, they don't know me. It's gonna work out however it works out" line was refreshing to her. Kind of like 'I'll take it as it comes' attitude. And her conversation with Doc was hilarious!

I've added some video clips of the episode at my place. (just click on my signature banner to get there.)

9. lilou

lilou Rookie

I love Riley. She's funny and do her job without wait to be love by other people. If they love her is good but it's not what she wait. I love how she's with other Doc, Greg and Cath. I want more scene between Cath and Riley.

I love her! LLS is a really great actress. Some photo.

Pic 2, Pic 3, Pic 4, Pic 5,

Pic 6, Pic 7, Pic 8, Pic 9, Pic 10

Pic 11, Pic 12

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
  10. ebuzz55

ebuzz55 Pathologist

I actually like her. She's got moxie and she's not annoying. I like the way she interacts with the rest of the cast so far.

11. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I just added this quote below to the first post of this thread, we ask you get familiar with it. Thanks. :)

12. byline

byline CSI Level One

Also, another thing I like about her is that she doesn't seem to need anyone's approval . . . but without being overly brash about it. That's a nice change of pace for a newbie!

13. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I like her attitude. As I said i've not seen the full ep, but from what I've seen I'm impressed. I actually like the way she was with Grissom too at the scene, I can't remember the exact thing she said, but he said 'it's part of your proficiency' or something.

I liked her with Doc too. I've not seen much more yet.

14. future_cop

future_cop Lab Technician

I actually liked her,she seemed to fit in pretty well with the rest of the team.I liked her with Doc Robbins as well.She seemed to get along pretty well with him and it amused me as to her reaction with the counselor in the beginning of the show.When I first saw hints of her I wasn't to sure if I'd like her or not but she seemd to find a place with me,and I have to say I hope she stays:)

15. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner