Paul/Brass: I Got a Coupon #2

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by brassfan24, May 4, 2006.

1. CSI_LV_AF

CSI_LV_AF Witness

Re: Paul/Brass #2

I still don't know why they would have him looking for his boss...Doesn't make sense to me. But I don't know how the law enforcement chain of command works.

Drumchik, I agree with you X10 about hoping he is not the new undersheriff. Although, I would think we would have learned by now if he got the job. Unless that is being saved for next week...which doesn't look too promising for us Brass fans and his screentime.

The season started so promising for him too...:scream:

2. brassfan24

brassfan24 Pathologist

You know, Drumchik, I was thinking the same thing. When I heard his conversation with Det. Williams I started wondering if they were gonna appoint Brass as the new undersheriff. And then it really started making more sense to me with all the other detectives being around... with Vega being back and Vartann and then the new guy Williams... I mean this could be their way of getting us all prepared for Brass' big promotion. But then I could be stretching things here.

Anyway, on another note with Brass helping find a new undersheriff, they may want his imput with finding a decent person for the job. I mean Brass has had his share of run-ins with dirty cops... between his past in Jersey and now with McKeen, Brass knows how to spot a dirty cop. And it seems with his conversation with Grissom in the premiere, that Brass has always been suspicious of McKeen.

Now on one hand I'd love to see Brass get promoted because a) he deserves it and b) he has already lost his shot at the Deputy Chief position way back in season 1 because of the Holly Gribbs situation.

But on the other hand, something tells me that if Brass does get promoted than, like you all think, his screen time will severely dwindle. And I'm talking probably to the amount that Conor O'Farrell had gotten. Which as we all know wasn't much.

So if I had to choose... I'd want Brass to stay as the Captain of homicide... that way we'll get to see more of him. And I'm all for that. :bolian:

3. beaujolais

beaujolais Lab Technician

I'm with everyone else about not wanting Brass to get the undersheriff job. I like that he's a homicide detective and as everyone else has pointed out, we get to see so little of him as it is. Plus, I love seeing Brass on the case, out in the field, running around in short sleeve shirts and a vest, busting people and interrogating suspects. We'd lose that if he became undersheriff. He'd be nothing more than Mr. Administrative Man in a Suit

Oh, and when this thread comes up on 1,000 posts and we have to make a new one, I say we call it "Paul/Brass: Where would he pin the badge".

Yeah it did. Now I'm having flashbacks to the horror that was S7.

4. brassfan24

brassfan24 Pathologist

Ha, I love that. That's a great idea, beaujolais.

Also, I was just thinking... maybe Brass could suggest Annie for the undersheriff position... she'd be fantastic and Brass could stay Captain. But then maybe that would kill anything romantic that would ever happen between them. Then again maybe not. Although maybe he can't suggest someone from another jurisdiction. I really don't know how that works. Again I'm just throwing things out there and I would really love to see Annie back on the show... I've been waiting ever since HB in season 5 and was totally disappointed that she didn't show up in WTG. I really hope to see her and Brass together again before the show ends. Professional or otherwise. ;)

5. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

I like that idea for a name of the thread. That line was just hilarious.

Another thought is that if they brought back Sofia, she could be undersheriff - or she could hang out with Brass.

Interesting thought too - someone mentioned a while ago that before the writers strike, there had been talk of a McKeen arc with Sofia. It would have been interesting to see Brass's reaction that one.

6. beaujolais

Oooh, now that would be an interesting idea! She wouldn't have to be in every episode, just show up now and again.

Actually, I think it would interesting if they brought a woman in for the new Undersheriff anyway. Nice change of pace and it would be interesting to see her interact with Brass.

I like to think that maybe Annie showed up later, while Brass was recovering. But I agree with you. I also wanted her to at least get a mention, even if he just said, "I have a good friend with the LAPD", in "Two and a Half Deaths".

This would be my one wish as well. And it would definitely be otherwise but maybe professional is the reason that brings her.

I would LOVE to have seen this! Especially since, as I recall, it had to do with sexual harassment.

7. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

Yeah, it was sexual harassment. Damn, someone has to write a fic on that immediately. *stares pointedly at beaujolais*

ETA: That's the first time I've typed your name without even checking the spelling halfway through, and I got it right! Yay me!

8. beaujolais

I've been tossing some ideas around but how about you? I seem to recall you write some pretty good fic.

And this past episode surprised me. They didn't show any Brass in the promos so I figured he'd either be MIA or have another 30 second walk-through. We actually got some decent Brass. Loved seeing him in the lab again, teasing Nick about playing with his toys then using his mad investigation skillz to tell it was a real cop uniform.

But that begs the question: how come Brass is never in the lab any more? Back in the previous seasons, we always used to see Jim in the lab, eating with the guys, taking part in their brainstorming sessions. I mean, have we ever had a scene like in "Unfriendly Skies" in the last few seasons where he's that involved? I wish they'd go back to the old ways, when he was more involved with the team.

9. CSI_LV_AF

CSI_LV_AF Witness

As much as I would have liked to see Jim working the A case, he was better suited for the B case because of the humor of it. I know Vartann can't pull humor off like Jim can.

I loved the lab scene too. I've come to accept the fact that TPTB don't like the CSI of old. I miss all the team interaction with him. Let's not forget that Jim was their boss at one time.

10. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

God Jim and Nick together are so funny.:guffaw: I love writing them in fanfic. It's like comedy.

I've noticed they are working more and more since the first episode. I wonder if Brass is worried about Nick going on another High Noon with another suspect.

Poor guy's got his hands full. Next thing you know he'll have get a cholk collar for Nick and yank it everytime the guy gets out line.

But I love the two of them together. You can't really call one fo them the straight man and the other the funny man because they seem to exchange the role so fluidly. One minute Nick is all serious and Jim is cracking jokes, than Nick is acting goofy and Jim is all business.

Like in Bite Me when the girl opened her top and Nick's jaw is on the floor and Jim's all 'whatever seen it all before, was married once..seen it too.'.

I love Brass and I cannot imagine CSI without.

11. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

Damn, my evil plan backfired.

And I agree with you on the team. It's fun how they were always involved with each other. Now it seems like it's going back to the cops and the CSIs are totally insular.

12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I love the great camraderie between Brass and Gil, when they drank together in his office when they got PO at each other, but apologized. When Gil helped him out when his low life daughter Ellie showed up to see him after he got shot, so many working experiences since the beginning of CSI. Their tight, and he's always the one, I believe that knew about Grissom and Sara, but was discreet and kept it private and a secret. I hope we get to see them discussing Gil leaving, and Brass's comments on that:thumbsup:

13. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I don't know why, but Nick has been spending a lot more time with Brass which is nice. They work well together. Maybe because Nick is not absorbed with his personal life as Grissom has been and not wallowing in self-pity. Brass has no time for that crap either. He has a job to do and duty to uphold.

He and Nick were the most focussed when Warrick was shot.

Remember what Brass said in that episode with the reality tv about how he goes home and sleeps just fine at night thank you very much.

He has demons, but he leaves them be. As does Nick.

Neither Nick nor Brass are ones to wallow in self-pity or allow personal relationship drama absorb them. They compartmentalize things very well. It is what makes a great team. :thumbsup:

And why they became my two favourite characters.

14. beaujolais

Maybe it's just me but my take on this is that Brass was saying that as a way of denying the truth. He does go home and drink (that was also part of his comment to the camera) and perhaps doesn't sleep very well. Remember his "single malt express" comment from "Double Cross"? He's definitely drinking.

Brass does have his demons and I think while he's on the job, he tries to keep them buried deep but every now and then we get a brief glimpse. In "Way to Go" it was his comment to Willy Cutler about not being able to look at yourself, in "For Warrick" it was his regret about his last words to Warrick.

All that said, I do like Nick and Brass working together. They play off each other very well and I've heard GE say that he thinks PG is hilarious. Plus, I know before the strike GE would go to some of the Kings games with PG (he had season tickets) so you know its an offscreen friendship that carries over.

15. CSI_LV_AF

CSI_LV_AF Witness

What I wouldn't do to have a couple of drinks with PG and GE. They both seem very down-to-earth in real life. I would love to spend an evening out with them.