Baseball #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Exit 8A

Exit 8A Pathologist

Sorry, I just have really bad memories of 2004. That one still stings.

2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

No worries, I have the 2007 and before to remember for the Indians lol. So all I can do is get behind the Rays and support, pray and plead that they win.

Couple articles Young Rays expect to rebound in ALCS
    Red Sox work out, enjoy glow of comeback victory

EDIT TO ADD: Trying this again lol.

The NL:
    Gm 1: LAD 02 - PHI 03
    Gm 2: LAD 05 - PHI 08
    Gm 3: LAD 07 - PHI 02
    Gm 4: LAD 05 - PHI 07
    Gm 5: LAD 01 - PHI 05
    The "Phillies" Will Be Going To The World Series!

The AL:
    Gm 1: TB 00 - RSox 02
    Gm 2: TB 09 - RSox 08
    Gm 3: TB 09 - RSox 01
    Gm 4: TB 13 - RSox 04
    Gm 5: TB 07 - RSox 08
    Gm 6: TB 0? - RSox 0? (Sat, Oct 18 8:07 pm)

Shoot I have a feeling I will not get an edit time in again... Grr. :D

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  3. Exit 8A

Exit 8A Pathologist

Gee, who didn't see this coming? :wtf::confused:

I don't think there is any point of me watching tomorrow night, I already know how it ends.

4. Destiny

The NL:

The AL:
    Gm 6: TB 02 - RSox 04
    Gm 7: TB 0? - RSox 0? (Sun, Oct 19, 8:07 pm) Lester vs Garza

5. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Boston certainly isn't giving up are they? I hope that Tampa Bay can regroup for tonight's game and show the BoSox that they deserve to go to the World Series. You do hope that whoever goes isn't too tired out to play the Phillies. That being said you hope the Phillies still have the momentum to carry on and win.

6. Destiny

Rays seem to have a good attitude about it all. ALCS is taken to the limit - here are just some quotes from players.

As the Rays walked down the tunnel to their clubhouse following the loss, heads hung, a teammate tapped shortstop Jason Bartlett on the shoulder, leaned in and said: “It had to be this way.”

“Nobody’s panicking,” Rays designated hitter Cliff Floyd said. “Nobody’s worried. Awe? Shock? Yeah, of course. Rightfully so, I think.”

“Heroes are made in Game 7,” Rays third baseman Evan Longoria said. “ … Guys hitting big home runs, making big plays in Game 7s of World Series and championship series. I’m sure there will be a hero tomorrow. We hope it’s on our team.”

In Tampa Bay’s clubhouse, they will arrive at different times. Reliever J.P. Howell will show at 2:30 p.m., because he gets too wound up at home, and first baseman Carlos Peña will walk in at 4:30 p.m., because he’d rather spend the time with his family. In between the two, 23 other players will walk into the stadium, and some will click on their computers to check the team’s fantasy football league, and others will down cups of coffee to amp up, and all will understand that by midnight, they will have either completed one of the most improbable World Series runs of all time or finished one of the great collapses.
    “We win, we win,” Rays outfielder B.J. Upton said. “We lose, we lose. That’s the way it is.”

Red Sox 4, Rays 2 - Here are some more quotes..

The young Rays, who never won more than 70 games in a season before this year, believe they’re up for the challenge.
    “We’ve just got to stay positive,” pitcher James Shields said. “We’ve got one more game, and now it’s do or die, so we’re going to find out what we’re all about.”

“It’s all about how we react to the moment, and it’s a seventh game,” Rays manager Joe Maddon said. “It’s a great learning experience. For us to win that game would be something special for us, also. So it’s not about looking into the past. It’s about looking into the future right now.”

Rays down to last chance

“We would have liked to finish it out tonight,” Rays reliever Grant Balfour said. “It didn’t happen. We’re staying loose. We’re not getting too uptight about it. It’s come to the last game now. That’s what baseball is all about.”

“It’s going to be fun,” Tampa Bay third baseman Evan Longoria said. “In my opinion, there’s going to be less pressure on everybody because it’s do-or-die. You can go out there and have fun. Throw it out there and do what you can do. I think there was a little added pressure on us going up 3-1 to kind of end it.”

For a team on the brink of losing their attitude is more were good but we will find out how good. Where as Bostons through those articles admit that the Rays are good but their attitudes are more they are good but we are better. I hate those attitudes, because if they were better then why didn't they have this sown up already?

GO TAMPA! :cool: :shifty: :cool:

7. Jacquie

Yup I think it's time to go and root for the underdog :)

Go Tampa! :cool: :) :cool:

8. Exit 8A

Exit 8A Pathologist

With a week's rest, compared to 2 or 3 by the AL winner? I don't know. Look what happened to Colorado last year, and Detroit the year before. It seemed that the week's rest actually hurt those teams greatly, especially since those teams were hot throughout their respective playoff runs, only to cool down after a long layoff.

9. Exit 8A

Exit 8A Pathologist

Wow, there is a God!

Who's the MVP? Upton, Longoria or Garza?

Well, somewhere in Nicauragua, the Red Sox are AL champions.

GO RAYS!

10. Destiny

The NL:

The AL:
    Gm 6: TB 02 - RSox 04
    Gm 7: TB 03 - RSox 01

The "Rays" Will Be Going To The World Series!

Congrats to the Phillies and the Rays.

Pitcher: Matt Garza

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  11. ThumpyG42

ThumpyG42 ~Nocturnal Jenn~ Premium Member

Hey y'all, Red Sox fan here. I just wanted to say that I thought both the Sox and the Rays put on an exciting series. A very well played series on both sides. :)

I'm so proud of my team, to even make it to the post season with the extensive injuries that plagued them, not to mention the whole Manny drama. Then to come back from being down 3-1 to tie the series by winning game 5 with one of the most amazing comebacks ever. And watching an obviously injured Josh Beckett pitch a gritty 5 innings on Saturday made me all the more proud to be a fan of this team.

That being said, Go Phillies!!

12. Jacquie

Congrats on winning Tampa Bay :) I love it when the little guy wins. So who will I root for.......I really don't know. I usually try to cheer for the team that has ex-Jays on it but in this case both teams do. The Phillies will be cheered for a little more as they have Matt Stairs on their team. And you say so what does that mean. He's a Canadian. You got to root for the 'home' team :)

May the best team win :) :cool: :)

13. Destiny

FOX will be handling the WS, but here is the schedules.

Gm 1 Phillies @ Rays Wed Oct. 22 8:00 PM
    Gm 2 Phillies @ Rays Thu Oct. 23 8:00 PM
    Gm 3 Rays @ Phillies Sat Oct. 25 8:00 PM
    Gm 4 Rays @ Phillies Sun Oct. 26 8:00 PM
    Gm 5* Rays @ Phillies Mon Oct. 27 8:00 PM
    Gm 6* Phillies @ Rays Wed Oct. 29 8:00 PM
    Gm 7* Phillies @ Rays Thu Oct. 30 8:00 PM

* If Needed

I also believe that the Awards will be given out during game "Four" of this series.

14. ThumpyG42

ThumpyG42 ~Nocturnal Jenn~ Premium Member

I just hope that the series lasts awhile, whatever happens. I love it when they go the full seven games. Makes the season last just a tiny bit longer. ;)

Jacquie...I tend to keep a closer eye on the Jays than some of the other teams due to the fact that AJ Burnett is from Arkansas. I just wish he wouldn't pitch quite so well when the Jays are playing my team. ;) I kid, I kid.

Torii Hunter of the Angels is also from Arkansas...I'd pull for him more, but I don't care for the Angels that much.

Go Phillies!

15. Destiny

Catching up with the congrads for the tribe, I am soooo behind with all the AL, NL playoff's.

Congrats to Cliff Lee & Tim Lincecum <Excerpts>- Lee was named the Outstanding Pitcher in the AL by the MLB Players Association as well as the AL Pitcher of the Year by the Sporting News, Lee went 223 1/3 innings, 22-3 win/Loss with a 2.54 ERA, & winning percentage (.880), allowing just 34 walks and striking out 170 batters, with four complete games, including two shutouts. - Other finalists for the MLBPA honor were the Blue Jays' Roy Halladay and the Angels' Francisco Rodriguez.

Giants right-hander Tim Lincecum in the National League Was named the Outstanding Pitcher by the same. Lincecum, 24, in only his second season in the Majors, led both leagues in strikeouts with 265 in 227 innings while compiling an 18-5 record with a 2.62 ERA, both second in the NL. Lincecum, a member of the NL All-Star team, had two complete games, one shutout, and the best winning percentage (.783) in the league.
    The other NL finalists were Milwaukee left-hander CC Sabathia and Arizona right-hander Brandon Webb.

Lee is also a finalist in two other Players Choice Awards to be announced later this week, the "AL Comeback Player of the Year" on Thursday and the "AL Player of the Year" on Friday. The "Outstanding Player of the AL and NL" will be announced Tuesday.

The Players Choice Awards, presented annually since 1992, are voted on by the players themselves recognizing excellence on and off the field. Players Choice Awards honor the top player, pitcher, rookie and comeback player in each league. The Player of the Year and Marvin Miller Man of the Year Awards bestow top honors regardless of league. Balloting for the Players Choice Awards was conducted in September under the supervision of accounting firm KPMG. Each Players Choice Award winner will recommend the charity of his choice to receive a grant from the Players Trust, which has contributed more than $3.25 million since 1992 to charities around the world in honor of Players Choice Award winners.

Congrats to Eric Wedge <Excerpts>- The 22nd luminary to be inducted into the Arizona Fall League Hall of Fame, Cleveland Indians manager Eric Wedge holds two special distinctions. Wedge, during Friday during a pregame ceremony at Scottsdale Stadium, became the first member of the Hall of Fame to be inducted for his Major League success as a manager but whose AFL experience was solely as a player. He also was the first AFL player to become a Major League manager. - Wedge, 40, is one of two members of the Class of 2008. He'll be joined next month by Philadelphia Phillies All-Star shortstop Jimmy Rollins.

Jamey Carroll To Return In 2009 <Excerpt> - Carroll's $2.5 million option for 2009 was picked up by the Tribe on Thursday. He will be back for a second year of filling in at second base and third base on an Indians team that is a bit undecided in the infield.

Tribe Mascot in HOF <Excerpt> - For Slider -- the Indians' mascot since 1990 -- it all culminated on Sept. 29, when he was inducted into the Mascot Hall of Fame. But if you ask Dan Kilday, who has been playing the character for the entire 18 years of its history, all the time he's put in dancing, pointing, waving, jumping, cheering and -- most famously -- falling, pays off in smaller ways.

Scott Lewis <Excerpt> - Baseball writers, club broadcasters and the fans took notice, as they combined to give Lewis the American League Rookie of the Month Award presented by Gillette. An emergency callup from the Double-A Eastern League playoffs when right-hander Anthony Reyes went down in early September with an elbow strain, the left-handed Lewis impressed the Tribe. He allowed just 20 hits with six walks, striking out 15 and limiting opposing batters to a .222 batting average.

Okay I think that is it for now, either above or on the previous page I gave the link (and will again here) to the MLB Awards though voting has ended you might be able to see the nominees, these awards are the ones I believe will be given out at game four of the WS, there is still voting for the TYIB "This Year In Baseball" Now here you can see the video's and then vote as much as you want. Voting ends Dec. 5th. The video's in the "Oddities" is funny as heck, if you need a good laugh then watch them. But there is also catagories "Hitter", "Starter", "Rookie", "Manager", "Closer", "Setup", "Defense", "Proformance", "Play", "Moment", "Oddity", & "Post Season Moment".

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008