Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!!!)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Is a D/L baby a good thing for CSI: NY?

1. Yes

89 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. I'm not sure yet

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

Re: Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!

And I think that's something we've seen many times with him. That's why he was sleeping with Rikki in the first place- he "wanted this hurt to go away." From what we've seen of Danny on this show, it's not a leap to assume he hasn't had anyone cuddling him and telling him love doesn't has to hurt, that functional relationships don't include pain.

And I say that because look at him. In Run Silent, Run Deep, he mentioned that Louie pushed him away that night in 1991, and things were never the same between them. In Trapped, he mentioned that Louie would ignore him and only come to Danny when he wanted something. And that's his own family.

We have no true indications of what happened between Danny and his family, but we can infer based on his actions with others. Mac, the authority figure he spent pretty much all of season 1 in defiance of. That sounds to me like a young man with issues in his past from his father. Defying Mac gave him some semblance of control, which could stem from issues with his father, in which Danny thinks someone's always gotta be in control and Danny doesn't like being kept down. He feels he needs to rebel against his boss, and that could be a sign of a poor paternal relationship.

Part 2 of this is in Some Buried Bones, when Adam, Stella, and Danny are looking at the surveillance footage, and Adam confesses his father was a bully. While Stella looks sympathetic, Danny looks knowing- like he knows what Adam went through and is still struggling with. Granted, there is more than one interpretation to looks, but that's what I saw.

Danny's a damaged man, and to him, sex makes things better- albeit for a short period, but it does make things better.

And, to me, that's one of the most important points- there was clear confirmation at the end of season 6. And I say clear confirmation because it wasn't just sex- it was two people getting ready for bed, sharing their lives. NOT just a one night stand.

And the plot was played out all through the next season- granted, the other CSIs didn't know (well, apparently Greg did, but anyway), but the audience knew, and it was clearly seen. That continued right up until she left... hell, it's still going on with her coming back, too. You know that she's with him with him, not just having sex with him.

Exactly. Another point about GSR vs. DL is that both of them have admitted to being in love, in canon. They both are on the same page, and both of them have pursued one another since they first met. As they explained to Ecklie, they've always had a relationship, and they've chased each other (in some sense) since that first day.

This is true as well. As far as we've seen since then, they've worked together. They've been professional. There's been no indication (not even through eyes and body language) that they have any sort of a romantic relationship. It looks like Danny's been hanging more with the boys and Lindsay's been with Mac, Stella, and Hawkes more. But, at the same time, when they are together, they're not ten seconds from jumping across the table and having hot sex. They're not even close to going in a corner to snuggle and watch a movie. They're just working.

2. jolein

jolein Pathologist

I swear,I could hug you for this comment cause I feel I have been saying this many times.

The average viewer doesn`t read scripts,sides or even spoilers but go with what they see on the screen and nothing on the screen indicated they were together in a serious relationship.
    Friends with benefits,yeah that is possible but serious steady relationship ,no way.
    No matter how things are twisted,turned and circles,there has never been hard proof they were in a relationship,other then what is said in interviews.

I feel that if they wanna do this storyline really justice ,they have to be honest to each other,or make them parents but not in a relationship.
    One thing I don`t see,is Danny backing away.
    He is simply a too good of a man for that.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Have you ever had someone who always asked you what was wrong all of the time? It's f*cking annoying. If I don't sound as perky as my mother would like when I talk to her, she wants to know what's wrong. Maybe nothing is wrong. Maybe I'm just not Happy and Perky at the moment. Maybe I get agitated because I don't want someone constantly trying to get all up in my business as if it's their business too.

So yeah, different interpretations. That's not to say he was agitated, but it's a possibility that he was just reacting to the fact that she called him and then wanted him to share. Maybe I'm just a tw*t, but if I don't want to tell you something, it's just going to get on my nerves when you want to know what's wrong with me the moment I don't offer up all of my thoughts and feelings on a platter.

I don't think any of us pick and choose what suits our agenda. As you said in the first sentence of your post, "it all depends on how you interpret things." A different interpretation doesn't mean a person ignored the facts presented.

Um, because he felt responsible for the death of a child and it made him feel guilty. I like to think the Ruben storyline had its own importance and wasn't merely created to provide a dead child as a speedbump to Tru Luv.

He could tell her over the phone, but other things can be done 'in person'. Such as conceiving a child by having sex. Which is now going to be canon. Telling her he felt the same way - that's still up in the air at this point.

I don't think those two relationships are in the same league at all.

GSR was there from the beginning but was put on hold for a while so it wouldn't run its course too soon (aka, the writers were conscientious about how to approach and develop the relationship). The characters always cared about each other, but they didn't get together immediately. They eventually did get together, and after that there was no question for the audience about whether or not it was happening. The audience then got proof that they were still together as little tidbits on the show (such as them being at home together) that nonetheless didn't overshadow anything else. Their relationship was a fact, and still is after seeing "For Warrick".

Meanwhile, Danny and Lindsay were immediately thrust into some sort of cliche flirtation as soon as she arrived (to the point that they had to have a scene in every episode, even when they weren't working together). There was a whole lot of 'will they or won't they' until they actually had sex, after which it was like 'are they or aren't they'. Then Danny slept with someone else and didn't seem guilty, Lindsay said she needed to get over loving him (a fact which seemed to surprise him), she told her boss it was stupid to get involved with a coworker, then Danny apologized and we don't know if she accepted his apology or not and then...what? We're being told now that when he apologized, they had sex and she's going to be pregnant.

I really don't see the comparison. Being the 'canon' relationship doesn't make it comparable to GSR. The CSI writers don't have to tell the fans that the characters are together or explain how things are supposed to work. From Zuiker's 'perfect heart' nonsense to having to TELL us when Lindsay got pregnant, I certainly wouldn't classify D/L as a fact. That they liked each other was a fact, but not that they were together. If it was a fact, the writers wouldn't have to explain stuff to us now.

Well, I don't think any of us knows her due date for sure, but I would think they probably didn't know about it when they filmed the end of season 4 - and remember that they filmed the first four episodes of season 5 right after season 4 was over. So a good chunk of the beginning of the season may have been completed before they knew about it. And to judge from AJ and Carmine's surprise at the script for 5.09, it seems pretty obvious that the actors didn't know they were taking this route until the last minute. So while they might have known about it for a while, who knows at what point they decided to actually go this route. The spoilers up until very recently didn't suggest this kind of storyline at all.

This.

With Danny and Lindsay, it's almost a Jekyll and Hyde situation - not in the good/evil sense, just that it's either TOTALLY THERE or not at all. Most of the time, Danny and Lindsay work together just fine and there's no problems and it's completely professional and there's no hint of, well, anything. Then BAM!, suddenly we get scenes like her walking away from evidence in 4.17 and whatnot - but elsewhere in the same episode, she seems fine? If it's not big dramaz, it's nothing. There's no subtlety.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  4. stormymac

stormymac Hit and Run

The thing is, from Lindsay's perspective, all he had done was forget her birthday (which he apologized for), turned down her lunch invitation (which got a pad shoved in his stomach in front of Hawkes after Mac asked her to get him up to speed on the case, very professional) and not grieve to her liking. Not one of these things required forgiveness from Lindsay to the extent of Danny having to endure the MOD or him having to continue to try to get Lindsay to talk to him after said speech. She was all fired up about how he didn't come to her to talk and then every time he tried, she shut him down saying she wasn't ready or it wasn't the right time. Hypocritical much?? It has been stated before that if Lindsay knew about Danny sleeping with Rikki, then her behavior would be understandable, but since there has been absolutely nothing to indicate that she knows, she just seems insensitive and selfish. Not exactly the best qualities for a mother.

I have seen where some people think that Lindsay is a smart woman, so she obviously knows about Danny and Rikki. If this is true, then her knowing he "cheated" and "lied", but then all he has to do is say "I miss you" and she goes running to his apartment and to his bed, definitely qualifies as stupid in my book.

5. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

I voted NO… They did a fine enough job hiding Anna Belknap’s body during her first pregnancy, I don’t see where they would have a problem doing it again. You don’t need to make Danny the father of her baby. What makes it hit home for me is Criminal Minds, which comes on before CSI: NY. A main character is pregnant on that show, the pregnancy was written into the show and very little of it is talked about. Everyone knows that she's pregnant, but the viewers aren't beaten over the head with it. I doubt the CSI: NY writers could do that. :(

Danny and Lindsay’s ‘relationship’ is just a sad shame for people for and against it because we were never given a full status of who they are to each other. You can dissect the Lindsay walking in the rain scene, the Rikki overhearing Danny’s phone conversation scene and every other scene they had in Season 4, you still don’t know where they stand as a couple. :confused:

If you have to write the baby into the show, let Lindsay be pregnant by some guy who dumps her and then Danny does everything to help her out, just so she can push him away and gain some character independence. I’d be interested in seeing Lindsay trying to juggle work and baby. She just needs to get away from Danny.

For me, it just boils down to tptb taking advantage of Carmine Giovinazzo-- AGAIN. Sidling him up with yet another storyline for Anna Belknap to sponge off of his talents is annoying. Let’s have Danny smile more this season and give the drama for Dr. Hawkes or any of the other characters on the show. Hell, make Sheldon her Baby's Daddy for all I care. :guffaw:

I just want them to stop this D/L thing and let Lindsay learn to stand on her own now.

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

:eek: YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW! *protects Sheldon and glares at you*

:p I kid, I kid.

7. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I voted Oh, HELL No!!! :vulcan:

I agree with much of what Ticamo77 said in the above post (except about making poor Sheldon the Baby-Daddy, why on earth would anyone want to do that to sweet Hawkes?!! :lol: )

They really had no great problems hiding her pregnancy the first time around, particularly to the more casual viewers who don't hang around on message boards or read spoilers. I doubt if many casual viewers had any clue whatsoever that she was pregnant, quite frankly... I know many shows write the pregnancy into the script, someone mentioned Criminal Minds. I don't watch that show, but I like the idea of having Lindsay pregnant by the other guy she supposedly was going to have eyes for this season - but not someone who is so much in the forefront of the show. IMO, having two main characters having a romance together, let alone a baby (particularly on a show that's supposed to be focusing more on the crimes being solved, not on who is doing whom amongst the main cast) is way too distracting.

Even if kept in the background - something I doubt the NY writers have any intention of doing - it will still always be the proverbial "Elephant in the Room", for many viewers. It's always going to be there, lurking and looming over the crime storyline that is supposed to be the main focus, and the main reason that a majority of viewers (not just we folks on the message boards) no doubt tune into the show for.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  8. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I agree so far what i've seen on Criminal Minds and the whole pregnancy storyline and end of last season it was done really well... One thing they did was with the latest episode her bump got a lot bigger, in the last one it was there but could easily blink and miss it kind of thing and last episode it was a lot bigger and she would rub it... and the best part was it didnt feel like it was detracting from the show it was still in the background so that you would almost remember it and thenthe case would take over.

Its similar in the way it was done on Without A Trace with Sam there was no deal when she was restricted to the office, you just suddenly saw her there and it was easy to assume rather than have the talk about you can do thin you can't do this which i kind of hope we don't get in NY or if we do we get it shortened.

9. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

Oh, Faylinn, I was kidding. :p I'd never do that to Sheldon.

It's just that I'm growing ever so annoyed and bored with the writers abuse of Carmine in the whole D/L thing. It's getting to be offensive. The man is far more capable of so much more and despite knowing that, the writers insist on adding chapters to this fruitless relationship.

It's starting to look like a huge 'cop out' now. Either piss or get off the pot... Say what they are to each other. Stop playing with your viewers. Stop giving us intervals of lust and confusion. Don't toss a baby into a relationship that isn't even established beyond two co-workers who had drunken pool table sex.

10. Lyra

Lyra Victim

Hi! I for one, am really happy about them having a baby! First, I know CSI, and they do very well keeping it to the crimes and them giving us a little personal life of the CSIs. I know some people may not like the idea, but the show won't suddenly become all about Danny and Lindsay's baby. I have always liked D/L so I think that's a good way to bring them together, create some drama. I am curious, for it sounds like this wasn't planned. I am sure they will be happy, after they get over the big shock. I'm curious, will it bring them back together? How will Danny respond? How will Lindsay feel? I think it's a good idea and I personally am very happy about this! How will it affect their work?

Heehee, I like the idea of Lindsay and Danny as parents. Poor Danny, after Ruben, it'll be hard for him. He'll be protective that's for sure!

Curious to see how and when this will begin, and honestly looking forward to it! What can I say? I always like what's happening!

11. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

Amen. I couldn't have said it better myself.

12. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

I wonder if they're gonna keep the baby. Probably so, considering there's most likely no easy way to make AB look un-pregnant, but it'd be an interesting twist if she gave the kid up for adoption or got an abortion. Or, if she decided she didn't want the kid, and Danny raised it himself (or vice versa). I think that would be much less like a cop out than the writers just making them 'get back together' (considering I'm still not sure if they ever were anything or, if they were something, they ever broke up) because of the miracle child.

Ugh, I'm personally nervous for the outcome of this. Personally, I'd prefer they either:
    A. came up with a better storyline or
    B. didn't have a pregnancy storyline at all

But, hey, who am I to judge the writers and their alleged cop out. I'm just a part of their audience, that determines if the show stays on the air or not. *sarcasm*

13. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Yeah, I noticed on both of those shows, it was a recurring character who got the main character pregnant. In the case of Without a Trace, Sam had been involved with not one but two of the main male cast members at different times, but the writers on that show chose to have the father of her baby be a recurring character rather than one of the main characters.

I kind of have a feeling a big part of the reason that that decision wasn't made in this case is because TPTB figured it could be a great storyline for Danny, and that people would be more interested in Danny's reaction to being a father than anything else. Like I've said before, we still don't know if Rikki was meant to return pregnant or not, but if she was, I have a feeling that was because there was interest in seeing Danny as a father. So in that regard, shifting the storyline from Rikki to Lindsay isn't a big deal--if Danny as a dad is the endgame, it's essentially the same difference.

I'll readily admit, that's the part of the storyline that intrigues me--Danny learning to be a father and grappling with that mixed in with his guilt over Ruben (because even if that storyline is over, I'm still hoping we'll see those nuances in Carmine's performance).

If this storyline was really meant to focus on Lindsay in any real way, I don't think we'd see Danny as the father. As ever, it just confirms Lindsay's role on the show as a love interest for Danny. I don't think she brings anything aside from cliches and stilted acting to the show--hence my reservations about the storyline--but what makes me positive about it is that it will be an interesting journey for Danny. And from the spoilers, it seems Danny will indeed be the focus. ;)

14. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

Here's my 5 cents on this whole situation:

Bringing a baby to the CSI world, as good as having a child is, its going to be

difficult. My biggest concern would be -are they strong enogh as a couple to

handle all the work that will take to accomidate everything. I think you guys

made some good points about that. I agree, there are A LOT of issues, because

they are unstable.

Also, One question that I always wondered about : Is the fact that this child

will be brought into the world in from of millions of people and brought up in a

spotlight. Maybe not actually, but most of will be public. I feel a little bit

sympathetic towards Anna and her current situation. Its not an easy thing.

As, far the concern with the father (Danny) -well he got the better deal, he

doesent have to go through with it (the process). Hopefully he's

supportive,patient ,and understanding. Hopefully it will teach him responsibility

(not that he's not) but, ya know.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  15. melanie33

melanie33 Hit and Run

Tell me, is there a book of guidelines that tells you how to be the perfect parent? Are there books on how to have the perfect relationship?.Are there books on how to go through life without any problems? Because if there are, I want to know where to buy them.

So what if they have issues, everyone has issues. The only issues between D and L I saw were caused by Rubens death. Because D and L seemed fine before that, it was even alluded to on the show for heavens sake. The picture on Lindsays phone, its a couply thing to do. And Flack mentioning L being at the game with D instead of him, but Danny had peeved Lindsay off thats why F was there.. Seems like things were relatively fine between them before this whole mess started, maybe not perfect, but certainly it was something that D and L could work through, every relationship has ups and downs.

Apart from the whole Rueben drama, I cant see what issues D and L had as a couple. The things that happened in previous seasons were before D and L became involved.

The whole Lindsay pushing Danny away in LRC, I think that showed she did care about Danny. She didnt want to get involved with him while she had issues going on in her life, why get involved with him, when she couldn't invest her all in it.

And on the cheating issue, if Danny and Lindsay were not together in some capacity, why did he make up excuses about her birthday, if they were not together, why would he feel the need to explain himself.

Danny IMO was that consumed with grief and guilt, he didnt realise what he doing was hurting both women. Lindsay and Rikki. Lindsay because he cheated, Rikki because he made her a part of the destruction of that relationship.

Rikki wasn't stupid. She could see that what was going on between them was only because of his guilt over Ruebens death and some day when that subsided he would see things differently, but by then it could be too late for him and Lindsay, and like I said, I think in part thats why she left. She didn't want to be a part of Danny ruining the one good thing he had in his life.

Forgiveness=Strength not weakness. Lindsay had enough maturity to realise why Danny did what he did. So she forgave him, and gave him a second chance. Dont know how that = weak or insensitive.

And no, a baby isnt a quick fix, but sometimes it makes you face up to your own personal issues and try to resolve them. And I am talking about their seperate personal issues not their issues as a couple. Saying that, all relationships have issues at some time or another, they all go through ups and downs. We are not perfect, relationships are not perfect, thats a part of life.

And on to the whole Danny having no b***S. Come one, he is a man in his thirties. You mature, you fall in love, you want different things out of life. He cant always be the emo, hot headed, playboy. Especially on a TV show, that becomes old really quick.

You all say he is emotional and he is passionate, then you have to apply that to all aspects of his life, including his personal life and relationships. His behaviour in regards to Lindsay is not out of the norm for him, it fits with his character perfectly IMO.

And seriously a baby can ruin a whole show. The whole 16 million are going to stop watching, because two characters are going to become parents.! Come on really!!.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008