Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!!!)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Is a D/L baby a good thing for CSI: NY?

1. Yes

89 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. I'm not sure yet

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. melanie33

melanie33 Hit and Run

Re: Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!

IMO there was definitely something going on. The biggest bang over the head for me was the cliche phone call, other woman walking out of the bedroom scene in RND. Also the fact of how guilty Danny looked when Lindsay said " you've just decided to do this all on your own" If he had done nothing wrong, why look so guilty about it? Add to that the picture of Danny on Lindsays phone in PF, and the fact that Flack mentioned Lindsay not being at the game with Danny, coz he'd pissed her off. There were also scenes at the start of the season to, that pointed to them being more than friends.

Plus two people in a relationship having a child doesnt not equate to a soap opera plotline. Having the other woman come back pregnant to destory said relationship on the other hand !

TOP41. Eyes for someone else, does not have to mean in a romantic sense, it could mean her attention is focused elsewhere, which could then indeed refer to a son, father, brother, if you want to read into it another love interest fine, just as others can read into different into it. What I was saying was that it wasn't actually made clear, it WAS a love interest.

Also, in the real world, people become pregnant every day, no form of contreceptive is 100 percent effective. So for that 2 percent of people where it fails, does that make them irresponsible?

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Agreed--the storyline has been one big cliche from the start, and I don't think it's ever risen above the very basics of that cliche.

And that's definitely a problem. I've said all along that I feel like we as an audience should know where they stand as a couple. If they were together after "Snow Day," great, but why didn't we see that? And suddenly Danny is sleeping with someone else--okay, so they're not together. But uh-oh, Lindsay is pissed he's not talking to her! So...they are together? It was badly done in season four--way too much mystery where there shouldn't have been.

One of my biggest reservations as well. "Silent Night" and numerous other episodes have proved Anna isn't up to snuff as a dramatic actress. Lindsay comes off as massively unsympathetic in scenes where I think we're supposed to feel bad for her, because Belknap's delivery is cold or flat. To me, that's definitely a problem.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  3. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I agree, Melanie33. Spoilers are usually ambiguous to say the least. I can't remember the amount of times I've read a spoiler and then seen the episode and it's not been at all what I was thinking.

True. Also, the fact that plenty of people who aren't really in a relationship have children all the time. Doesn't mean anything. It's what you do afterwards that counts.

And I always thought that there was something going on between Danny and Lindsey. Not a proper serious relationship, but something.

4. jolein

jolein Pathologist

She never wanted lunch when Danny asked her and suddenly she calls to have lunch...

When did Danny looked guilty? He was annoyed,he was shocked but I never saw the face of a guilty man.
    Danny and Lindsay were/aren`t on the same level when it comes to the relationship.

I agree with that and think that is one of the major problems.
    It isn`t clear if and what kind of relationship they have.
    One moment everything is fine and dandy and the next Lindsay is pissed off for nothing.

5. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

To me he looked more baffled than guilty, as if he hadn't realized they were as serious as she thought they were.

Either way it's a little soapish. ;)

I've never seen the phrase "so-and-so has eyes for someone" without a romantic context. I believe the exact phrasing was a new guy would "catch her eye." That suggests love interest. As does the fact that he'd be extremely handsome.

I don't think I said that; I simply said having a baby together isn't a sign of maturity. And it's not; that doesn't mean it's a sign of immaturity either. I just think maturity when it comes to getting pregnant really doesn't apply contextually. It's not an argument in favor of the storyline. It could be an argument against it--i.e., it shows how immature they are--if they didn't use protection. But as of right now, it's neither here nor there.

6. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

This quote belongs to me. It's doesn't make irresponsible if protection fails but it is if you are in some inestable and inconsistent...let's call relationship????? (Certainly i never thought they had one). It's not only for them but because they are going to be responsible for a child. How could they raise a child (together or not) if they can't take charge of their lives

I don't care anymore. It was producers' decition. As long as my fav Characters, couples, storylines are not affected by this nonsense i don't care.Besides i hope the baby won't take too much screentime from my fav characters

I still want to believe i'm watching my fav show

Debbie

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  7. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Could anyone delete this post, please?. Sorry for the double posting

8. Fiona

Fiona Dead on Arrival

I know. I just hate it when they go and kill people off and leave the other one all depressed and mopey. I'd rather not have any of that. I hate relationship-storylines when they start involving babies. I'd rather them just have a nice conventional, strong relationship forever.

9. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

But wouldn't that be boring? I'd like to see that too but it wouldn't make for great tv. You can't be happy in a relationship on tv. But it would have been nice for them to have got over the 'will they, won't they' bit and actually started dating before this came up, or instead.

10. melanie33

melanie33 Hit and Run

TOP41 When Lindsay said " You decided to do this all on your own" he couldnt look her in the eye and dropped his head. Didnt look like he was baffled to me.

You might not have heard it. But thats not to say it isnt a possibilty right? Especially if they didnt want anyone to know at that stage about Lindsay being pregnant. TPTB can use whatever words they want, as long as it makes sense to them. If she goes back to Montana that has been suggested, and we are supposed to learn more about her family, couldn't a Brother, or a Father, or even a Son, be whom PV was referring too? We also have to take into context the rest of PV's words, which were "she's going to come to the rescue and still be a part of that relationship" So were we meant to assume she is with Danny but also has eyes for someone else in a romantic sense. Come on I highly doubt TPTB were going to go down that road again.

And the exact phrasing was. "she will have eyes for someone else, he will recur for several episodes, and of course he will be incredibly attractive" See to me that could be a son. Like I said before, TPTB's words only have to make sense to them, they know the arc, we dont. Maybe thats what they wanted us to believe, that it was another man. But in theory they are not really being dishonest if turns out its a son. Are they?

In regards to Danny cheating. I cant see any other reason why TPTB had Lindsay on the other end of that phone and then had Rikki walk out of the room, if we were not meant to think he cheated. Why not have Hawkes, or Adam on the phone. Plus someone on another board has seen a copy of the script from RND and it was stated that Rikki knew whom Danny was talking to on the phone and thats why she said, she was leaving. Pretty telling hey.

Anna's acting is a matter of personal taste. Some people like her, some people don't. I would say the average audience, the casual viewers, the ones TPTB care about, probably don't take all that much notice to tell you the truth. As long as the show keeps them entertained.

All the same, dont see what Anna's acting has to do with "Is the pregnancy storyline good for CSI NY" though.

What I am saying is, the spoilers they released back in July could still apply, it just depends how you interpret them.

11. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

It all depends on the viewer. Where you saw guilt, I saw surprise and bafflement. We really wouldn't have this problem if TPTB had effectively defined the D/L "relationship" during the season--but they didn't. The actors, the fans-none of us knew for sure if they were in a relationship or not.

Where has the phrase "eyes for someone else" ever meant or alluded to the coming of a family member? :confused: I really don't see how this could mean anyone other than a love interest.

Anna's acting has alot to do with it. As a viewer, I watch CSI:NY not only to be entertained, but to be convinced. When I watch Carmine Giovinazzo crying for his brother in RSRD, or AJ Buckley in panic in Snow Day, or Melina Kanakaredes in All Access, I am convinced that they are Danny, Adam, and Stella-real people in their situations. Their reactions and motions, as well as the way they present their dialogue, convinces me that they are real, believable characters. When I watch Anna, I don't see Lindsay. I see Anna, trying to be Lindsay. All Access was terrible for me-I thought it was stupid and demeaning to make her play the "terrorized by a boyfriend" part. However, even though I hated the story and hated the circumstances, Melina did an excellent job of playing Stella's fear, anxiety, and sorrow. Her acting saved that storyline for me.

The same goes with this storyline. Lindsay finding out she is pregnant and the ensuing pregnancy storyline might be one I hate, but if Anna was a stronger actress and could convince me with her sincerity, maybe I would be able to accept it. But Anna isn't, so I dont think i will.

I voted NO in the poll. I don't think it is good for the show, for a variety of reasons. One, it will further and permanently attach Lindsay to Danny--something that neither character needs. Danny has been Lindsay's crutch for the past three seasons, and Lindsay has had no development away from Danny since she has been on the show. This season could have been a chance for Lindsay to finally get some development AWAY from Danny, and possibly improve her character. With this baby, we will never get that chance to see what could become of her character.

Two, it is yet another thrown together storyline to accommodate Anna Belknap's pregnancy. I am happy for her and her family, but the fact is, this story was largely impacted by the fact that Anna herself was pregnant. They only decided to write it in the show after Anna told them. With her last pregnancy, the writers came up with the whole "deep dark secret" in her past to cover up her maternity leave, and its noticable. (ie. why doesn't she freak out with the scene with many dead teenagers, but only freaks out when she sees a random girl that has been killed? it doesn't match up). The storyline was shoddy, and it didn't do anything for her development. This is the same thing--its been thrown together.

Finally--I really don't ship D/L. Not at all. It has been poorly written IMO, especially since no one knows if they were together or not-something we should have known if they really are so-so-in-love. This pregnancy isn't necessary for any part of their relationship.

It was stated that the Ruben storyline will no longer play a part in this season whatsoever. This does not factor in with continuity at all-Danny blames himself for the death of a young child, and now he is supposed to be perfectally fine when realizing he is going to be a father? If this is a prelude for how the pregnancy is going to be handled, then I can't really see any good things happening for either Lindsay or Danny. Its going to alter Danny's character, and further handicap Lindsays...and that is something I don't want to see happening to either of them.

12. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I'm not sure yet. I think that if TPTB can handle it well, it could end up being a good development. However, more likely than not, I won't be able to enjoy this development. I was never fond of TV pregnancies, no matter how crucial they were to the plot on other shows (the X-Files comes to mind). I don't mind D/L, but I just can't picture them as having a kid. Also, the fact that most of the spoilers have been repetition, all surrounding this pregnancy? It just bothers me that TPTB and spoiler pages seem to think that this is the most important thing to ever happen in the CSI franchise.

13. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

I love a good debate.

I agree that saying someone has eyes for someone else tends to be romantic. And if that wasn't enough, the line afterward of, "he will be incredibly attractive," makes it more so. If he wasn't meant to be romatically linked to her, why would they bother saying he's attractive? I mean, I wouldn't say my brother's attractive...

I think that with Danny and Lindsay, they started out cute. I liked them in the beginning. But last season just turned me away from them... too much drama. And I think what's more is that neither of them are ever completely open and honest with each other. Lindsay kept the trial and her friends' murders from Danny as long as possible. Danny wouldn't let her help him after Ruben died.

Granted, both of them have been there for each other at other times, so there is some semblence of function in their relationship (interpret that term as you will). They can talk, they can hang out, but they can't make things work between them. I don't know if both of them thought hooking up was a bad idea, but Lindsay did. And if that doubt was implanted in her mind then, what's going to happen now that she's pregnant with his child?

Top, I agree wholeheartedly. I think we've seen time and time again that this is the case with both characters. And who's to say that this storyline won't continue either of these? Hormones can make you do and say crazy things, and perhaps (if this is the case, and I'm not saying it definitely will be) Danny will take the brunt of that. And Lindsay's character is now forever linked to Danny's because she's having his child.

I think this may have been said several times, but for me, another issue of this whole thing is the instability of Danny and Lindsay as a couple. Let's be honest- everyone has their own interpretation of whether or not they're together. Some say yes, some say no, some say something in the middle. No one knows for sure what exactly's going on. To me, that's not a good environment to bring a child into.

Another thing is the timing. I guess this was supposed to happen after 419, right? After Lindsay was swearing up and down (essentially) that she was done- she was trying to not be in love with Danny and told Mac she made a mistake getting involved with Danny (and before anyone jumps on it, I know those weren't her exact words, but that was the essence). After Danny basically went groveling, and she turned him away.

Impulsive is the first word that pops into my head. Impulsively after she gets his phone call, she jumps in a cab to go to his place and jump into his bed. Impulsively because he's upset, he calls her and begs her to come over. I don't think that's really fair to either character. I get that love makes you do crazy things and can make you impulsive, but that's a little over the top to me.

My second thought is that this isn't very healthy for either of them. It's like a comfort mechanism, almost. When they need that last little bump to get over whatever trouble they're feeling, they turn to each other for a good time. I don't think that bodes well for their relationship, especially when they're only using each other's comfort for the last little bit, and not through the entire ordeal.

14. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

That is another thing I'm worried about. There are six other characters on the show, and the spoilers we are getting have nothing to do with them, but with the pregnancy. If anything convinces me more that this pregnancy storyline will be shoved in the forefront of the rest of this season, its that, and thats exactly whats going to drive me crazy when I have to deal with that while trying to watch a crime drama....not a soap opera.

15. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

as much as i am a D/L shipper i am so not sure about this whole baby thing. i'm excited to see how this is going to be played out but i'm apprenhensive about how the characters are going to be portrayed through out this and how it will be written.

the writting was so god awfull last year that i'm nervous when TPTB say they have good storylines for all the characters and it's going to be written well. they said that last year and we got garbage.

this whole situation can go either really bad or really well. i only say i'm not sure only b/c of the writting.

i'm interested to see if there's going to be any flashbacks to that night if they're going to reference it for the non-NY fans that know when it happened. also interested in seeing if D/L will finally grow a pair and stop being babies. the writers really brought them to a low last year and changed the characters so much to how they normally are.