The 30 and Over Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI_Kat, Aug 21, 2008.

1. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

*scratches head* I remember having penpals or wanting one or maybe writing one letter and that was it. Oh man I am having memory loss today. :guffaw:

2. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

I had a penpal from Japan; her name was H.... yeah, something. I think we started in 6th grade and probably the last we heard from each other was around 8th grade. I just remember she had cool stationery, and all I had was notebook paper.

I wish my kids could grow up back when I did, let them have the run of the neighborhood like I did, but it's too scary. I think we live in fear too much and want to structure too much, and as much as I try to let them be kids I also have to be wary of how easily something awful could happen.

My neighbors have a 5 year old daughter and a fenced in yard. They let her play by herself in the yard until last week, when she came running into the house because someone was trying to get in the gate. This standard-issue suburbia, and we live in a great neighborhood, and still something like that happens.

3. Lvodkadiet

Lvodkadiet Rookie

Yeah I have to say I wasnt surprised, just pi**ed off! I suppose it will make my collection more even!!

CSINYMIA000 your quotes are soo funny! But yes, being older does make you appreciate your family and friends a lot more, its the experiences you have had over the years that count and knowing that you have had people by your side that have stuck by you and helped you through things.

Jacqui Thats terrible about your neighbours kid, its so scary when something like that happens, I am forever trying to educate my kids about staying safe, they are at the age now where they want to go out on their own and they should be able to. I worry constantly but dont want to stop them as they need to experience life for themselves too. Its very hard to strike a balance.

I only buy stamps when I am sending birthday cards and they are way expensive. I usually email or text all my friends and family now and havent written an actual letter for a couple of years. I remember writing loads of letters as a kid on lovely winnie-the-pooh paper and stuff like that!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  4. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Oh speaking of stamps, anyone here ever was into stamp collecting? I used to collect them. I think I had stamps from around 100+ countries. I remember bringing them to school once for show and tell . :lol:

I remember when I was a kid my Mom would let us go out on our own. I remember once when we were on vacation in HK, my Mom let me go off shopping on my own and I was just ten and in a foreign country. I was that independent. Nowadays, I don't think she'd let me do that if I were still ten.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  5. Lvodkadiet

Lvodkadiet Rookie

I had a big stamp collection too, actually I still have it in the loft! I used to love all the bright coloured sets of animals and the Christmas ones were always cool.

I used to go out to play in the street from the age of about 7 and to the corner shop to buy my copy of Smash Hits or Look In and then as I got older and went to High School I was allowed to go on the bus to the bigger town to go shopping. My daughter is nearly 13 and I do let her go off with her mates when we are in town but I take her and pick her up. She is sensible though and could get the bus on her own.

6. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Hahaha, Smash Hits! Shucks, man! I used to buy those too! Add to the list of teen mags I used to get, 16, Teen Beat, Bop, Tiger Beat, Seventeen, YM. Sheesh! :lol: Gee, I'm suddenly having a flashback! :guffaw:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  7. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I remember all those magazines too. I use to take the photos of them and plaster my bedroom door with my faves. GAH! I think I actually still have a photo I took once of the back of my door with all the magazine photos on it. :lol:

8. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Yes I was into the teen magazines as well. Mind you the ones I bought had David Cassidy, Bobby Sherman and David Soul on them :) Wow how times have changed. I don't think I could name any of the stars that may grace these mags today. Do they even publish the mags today or do they rely on People magazine to spread the gossip.

9. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Teen Beat, Tiger Beat - I've got those in a box somewhere. :alienblush: I was a big Shawn Cassidy and Hardy Boys fan. I've also got at least 2 boxes worth of StarLog magazines full of Star Trek, Star Wars, and Battlestar Galactica from when I was growing up. :p Back then it was about all there was to read if you were a science fiction fan.

Susan

10. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Posters? Yeah, my Mom would humor me and my sister about our posters and she even brought them to the framers to have them mounted on wood and have them laminated. Haha, she wanted our rooms to look neat. :p

Heeee, I used to get StarLog as well. Gee, do they still publish that?

11. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I figured this was the best thread to post this in, since I just had to say it somewhere. :lol: At the grocery today, buying a bottle of rum, this 44 year old was asked by the cashier, "Are you old enough to drink?" :guffaw: Gee...she didn't ask the man in front of me who was buying a box :)wtf:) of wine. I suppose this should make me happy. :lol:

12. FieldMouse

FieldMouse Hub Master Moderator

Shawn Cassidy was my first big crush, and his was the first concert I ever went to. :)

:lol: I'm still asked for ID quite a lot, even at 41. But it's always the little old ladies at the grocery store. So if I'm feeling bad, I go to the store, grab a bottle of wine and look for the line with the oldest checker. Okay maybe it's cheating a little, but it still works. :cool:

13. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I loved Shaun Cassidy and went to see him in concert too, but my first concert was the Bay City Rollers! :lol:

Well, this guy running the register was too young to ring it up, so he had to call over someone else to do it and she's the one who asked me. Gee, and *I* was asking for ID at the drug store I worked at 20 years ago! So yeah...I'm old enough. :)

14. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

My first concert was John Denver. I was 18 and conned my sister and her husband to go with me. I have been to a few others over the years but I think I will always remember the John Denver one :) I was never into the whole Shaun Cassidy thing. Several years ago I did see him in a play though. He and David Cassidy were in a play called Blood Brothers. Both were good in it.

I forget which ball park it was, but there is one stadium in the US that asks for ID regardless of how old you are. It was strange having to show ID when you're in your late 30's as I was at the time. I haven't had to show ID since I turn 18 many years ago :) It must be the grey hair that's sprinkled amongst the brown :guffaw:

15. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

My first concert was Starship with The Outfield opening at (what was called then) Great Woods out in Mansfield MA. A week later I was back for Def Leppard and a month after that I was watching Def Leppard in the round at the (then called) Centrum (now DCU Center). I haven't been to one since. My eyes are bothered by bright lights and I almost got sick from all the lights flashing - but it was worth it! :D

Around here when they used to sell alcohol in the grocery store (they can't anymore because the liqueur stores complained) if the person on the register wasn't 21 the person making the purchase got to reach across and ring it through. Personally I've never been asked, don't like alcohol, but my mother has always considered it flattering, at her age, to be asked. :lol:

Susan