What Category Do I Belong In? Find out here! [Please rate/comment!]

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CSI_Kat, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Rienna

Rienna Dead on Arrival

Re: In what category I belong? ~ New Round Sept 20 Calling all 'beginn

DragonflyDreamer, I've just make some icons & one, hmmm, let's call it collage, so I can send them to you right now :)
    One question - in first post there - was said that icons must be 100*100. But in the rules is said that icons - 140*140 may be used too. Which size should i make?

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Ah, yes, the icon size limit has been changed since then. It used to be 100x100, but now can be up to 140x140. Most challenges will specify what size they want you to enter, but for this, it can be which ever you prefer.

3. Rienna

Rienna Dead on Arrival

DragonflyDreamer, I sent you my works :)

4. Dragonfly

I got them, and sent a reply.

5. Dragonfly

Re: In what category I belong? ~ Please Rate!

I'm sorry it took me so long to get this up. My professors have been on strike all week, and I think it's turned my brain into mush :rolleyes:
    I was hoping some more people would join, but maybe we'll just do another round.

Everyone wants both ranking and comments. Please rank either beginner, intermediate or advanced. Also - if you feel like 1 icon is beginner and another is intermediate - please note that as well.

Artist #1
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist #2
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist #3
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist #4
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist #5
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist #6
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist #7
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist #8
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist 9: (Clickable)
    [​IMG]

Artist 10: (Clickable)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

*If there are any problems, please let me know*

6. MarineGirl#1

MarineGirl#1 CSI Level Three

So many entries, I just saw them all, but I need some more time to study them and make some notes, however I will be back to comment them all :)

7. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

Looks like I'm the first to rate....
    Before I begin, I want to point out that everything I'm going to say is meant to be a help for all the iconmakers to either advance or keep up the level they've already achieved.

Artist #1 - Beginner / Intermediate
    I think the 2nd icon is definitely intermediate. It looks smooth and the colors are nice. The first one looks a bit grainy and it lacks something special, the third one is too dark for my taste and oversharpened in some spots.

Artist #2 - Intermediate
    All the icons are decent, but as I said before, they lack something eye-catchy. They colors are nice, but the style of icons 2 and 3, 1 and 4 is kinda the same. Try to use different colorings, brushes, textures, etc.

Artist #3 - Intermediate / Advanced
    The first icon is advanced I'd say. They style is interesting and you've tried something here. One thing though, it might look better with fading edges so that the pic kinda melts into the background. The second icon is nice but a bit pale. Also, a different font might have worked better here.

Artist #4 - Advanced
    It was kind of a difficult decision, but I'm leaning towards advanced because you seem to know many of the important things to make icons, e.g. changing the background, adding textures, coloring and text. It's a bit difficult to read the text because it's kinda black on black.

Artist #5 - Beginner
    You're on the way, just try experimenting a bit. The black edges might be interesting, but not on all icons. Furthermore, not all icons need text, for example the third one would have turned put nicely if you'd added a grungy texture. Also, try working on the coloring, the black and white on the first icon made it look kinda yellow-ish.

Artist #6 - Intermediate
    I like your ideas and the coloring of your icons. But there's still something you could improve, for example the first icon is a bit blurry. And it's always more interesting if you use different fonts. (I know, I'm kind of a font-junkie :rolleyes: ) But cool fading effect on the second icon.

Artist #7 - Advanced
    Well done. The text on the first icon is a bit hard to read, but that might just be me. Other than that, your coloring is great and you know how to use light textures. Nothing more to say.

Artist #8 - Intermediate
    Again, the style of all your 3 banners is the same: The main color is orange, it's always the same pic, two of them have the fingerprint. Try changing stuff. I know that it's just a selection of banners you've made, but this is exactly why you should've presented three different banners so everyone can see your abilities.

Artist # 9 - Intermediate / Advanced
    I think you're almost advanced, but you're not there yet. It might just be my screen but Eric looks pixel-y ( :lol: ) if you know what I mean. The text could have been positioned differently, maybe just laid across the 3 CSIs in the lower part of your entry. But I like the coloring, it gives the pic a nice touch.

Artist # 10 - Beginner
    Greg's eyes and his hair are way oversharpened and the text needs a bit creativity. Also, I'm not sure if I like the colored circles, but that pertains to everyone's taste. Keep going and I'm sure you'll improve in no time.

The last thing I said holds true for all the artists who participate in this. Please keep making icons. We don't want you to stop, on the contrary, we want to help you improve so you'll become great icon/banner/WP makers or whatever your speciality may be.

8. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Artist #1 - Intermediate
    The first two icons have a lot of clarity and the colouring is very complimentary to both subjects. What I would suggest in terms of text for the second one is something a little more 'eye catching' but remaining simple. You've done simple, which is great but the text seems to lack that 'oomf' for me. As for the third icon, the face seems a little too purple, but I know how awkward it can be changing colours and it may end up looking worse after. :lol: Otherwise, I actually like the darkness of it, it seems to work well in my eyes.

Artist #2 - Intermediate
    The first and last icons have really unique colouring on them and the smoothness goes really well with them. I'm not an expert but maybe just a tad of contrast would make them pop a bit more. As for the second and third icons, the colouring again, is great and the clarity gives them the eye-catching quality all their own. However, on the 'smirk' text, it's so far from the icon's subject. Perhaps placing it a few milimeters closer and maybe if possible, flipping it horizontally so it's a bit easier to read may improve it? It's all your choice but looking at Ryan and looking at the text tells my eyes two different things so it's hard to focus on both at the same time as an overall effect...if that makes sense?

Artist # 3 - Advanced/Intermediate
    The first icon to me is Advanced as it has a good mixture between colouring and clarity. I'm drawn right to the center of the icon, nothing distracts and for the size, it's very well done. The second icon I see as Intermediate. The effect is great and there was some real creativity that went into it, however some of it appears too blurred while other parts seem too sharp.

Artist # 4 - Advanced
    Seems like there's a really good understanding of how to implement backgrounds into an icon and the colouring matches everything really well. Not much I can suggest to improve, lol.

Artist # 5 - Beginners
    I actually had a bit of a hard time deciding because most of the icons are really clear but the text actually detracts from the quality in the first one. Like I said above, displaying text vertically seems to make the eye want to do two things at once (taking the time to read something that isn't written out naturally for the brain and the icon's subject which is the character) and distracts from the overall effect sometimes. Alternatively, the third icon's text is a great way of putting some shape and creativity to it while keeping it relatively easy for the mind to recognize right away. I'd suggest as well, not to use the black borders all the time; even though it gives a style, it's not always needed.

Artist # 6 - Beginners
    They're both blurry which lowers the quality of the overall icon. Perhaps upping the contrast and sharpening would improve it further.

Artist # 7 - Advanced
    Wonderful colouring on both and the first banner displays a lot of creativity with the text even though it's a tad difficult to see. The glowing effects on the second banner really adds that something extra and seems to complete the package.

Artist # 8 - Advanced/Intermediate
    All three are really creative though I'd tag the first two as Advanced and the third as Intermediate. It has nothing to do with the fact that the CSI is vertical but there's a lot of open space there without anything going on wheras on the other two, everything fits together really well and the overall effect is great.

Artist # 9 - Intermediate
    The colouring, cropping and the text adds a great element to it. However, the effect makes things look a little blurred and pixelated -- similar to what cathwillows was getting at.

Artist # 10 - Intermediate/Advanced
    Even though in the first one, some bits are bit oversharpened, (à la Greggo's eyes) the colouring is really cool and the crop is creative. Plus the mixture of blue and pink go together well. The second one, I'm leaning toward Advanced because the text is unique and compliments the wallpaper. Plus, the amount of sharpening and colouring has a nice balance and the pink effect doesn't overshadow the subject.

Everyone did a really great job. :D Sorry if some of what I said doesn't make sense, I'm not an expert. :lol:

9. Dragonfly

Anyone else? Comments are still welcome!

10. MarineGirl#1

MarineGirl#1 CSI Level Three

Slap me for not coming back earlier, but 10 entries is a way to go.
    I'm gonna do this one in halves.

Artist 1: Beginner / Intermeidiate... Your first two are def. intermediates, the colouring is very bright wich I seem to miss in your 3rd one. It's a bit dark, maybe because of the background. Maybe it's a good idea too change the background.

Artist 2: Intermediate. The colouring is great, the pics are sharp, although I miss the use of textures/backgrounds. Call me a succer but I love working with them. Just experiment.

Artist 3: Intermediate: great use of brushes and textures. But work on the lightning, you don't want the characters look too bright.

Artist 4: Advanced: wonderfull use of textures, tubes and text :thumbsup:

Artist 5: Beginner: I kind of miss the use of effects, the text is a big too big for my liking and the borders are a bit distracting. Just a tip: less is more ;)

That's all I have for now, i'll try to come back for the other artists as they deserve to get some pointer too :)

11. Dragonfly

*Blows off dust* This poor thread is so under-used :( Which is why I'd like to make a suggestion to propose how this thread is run.

Currently, we have a bunch of people sending things in all at once and posting them as a big batch. What I'd like to suggest is that we have people send them in (to me) whenever they feel like it, and I'll post just one or two sets at a time. I'm thinking that people will be more likely to give feedback if they have a smaller group to comment on. Having to give feedback on seven sets of icons at once can be a bit much. It might also be easier on those who want their work evaluated if they can do it on their own schedule.

I hope this makes sense. Just because it did in my head doesn't mean it will to anyone else :lol:

Please let me know if you think this is a good idea, and feel free to provide other suggestions as well.

12. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

I think it makes prefect sense. Also people won't have an strict deadline to send stuff in by so it'll be more relaxed. I hope people use this 'tool' to help them decide which category they best fit in, it helped me alot when I first started out as a maker.

13. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I agree, I think its a great idea. This way someone doesnt have to purposly make an icon etc they can send something in if they have made something and want peoples opinions etc :)

14. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

We have so many people entering intermediate now and not enough advanced.....it might be see if it is time for those intermediate icon makers to move up!

15. Dragonfly

Okay, that's what we'll do then. I've edited the first post to include the new rules. People can start sending things in whenever they like :)