The 30 and Over Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI_Kat, Aug 21, 2008.

1. althea

althea Lab Technician

Welcome back Lvodkatiet I'm glad to hear all your PC problems has been sorted out.:thumbsup:

And no I don't think buying a Christmas present already is a sign of getting older your actually being very resourceful! I want to get started too but like Dynamo says there is always a few people that I really don't know what to get. And don't get me started on the children in our family I spent a week searching for a Ben10 backpack for my nephew two weeks ago. Firstly I had no clue what the heck Ben10 was. And obviously that made me uncoolest aunt in the history of mankind:lol:

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

althea I've got no idea what a Ben10 is either so I guess I'm uncool in your nephew's eyes as well :)

I would love to have my Christmas shopping done with by the beginning of December but I doubt it will happen. The Hubby's family usually sends their lists out the beginning of Dec but fortunately they are books, cd or dvds so they can be done in one Mall. I'll go early in the week and it's less of a hassle. I don't get any lists from my family to help me. I've not gotten things for my sisters and brother in the last couple of years rather I just get things for my nieces and nephew.

Lvodkadiet I'm glad you got your pc back and in working order :) What did we ever do when we didn't have a computer :)

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Write letters sent through snail mail (postal service back then), use a slide rule or big bulky red-LED calculator for calculations, draw with crayons or markers, read news in newspapers, check local listings in TV Guide when TV Guide actually had LOCAL listings, played games that did not involve a mouse or a keyboard or a trackball... Good grief, I really AM old.

4. Missing

Missing Pathologist

I played outside an awful lot. We had a good neighborhood and were always digging in dirt or racing with our bikes or hotwheels. Catching butterflies or catapillers. It was fun. And we are not old we are experienced. :thumbsup::lol:

5. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Haha, yeah I played outside an awful lot too! I even have the scars to prove it. Yeah, I love riding my bike around the neighborhood. Plus, we played hopscotch, cops and robbers, jacks, tag, hide and seek and a lot more. It's a shame that children nowadays are less active because they've got video games, the internet and what have you.

6. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Sounds like me. The only kids I have are my guinea pigs. :lol: I have a couple nephews. Oh and I am 35 years young. :D I only discovered this thread today.

7. Jacquie

Welcome to the 30 and over crowd Dizzney

Oh the things we did when we were kids: Red Rover, Hide and seek, hopscotch, badminton, and we rode our bikes around the neighbourhood. In winter we would take our toboggans to the near reservoir that had a good hill for going down. I was never good at skating so I didn't take part in that activity.

8. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

Old is when...

An "all nighter" means not getting up to use the bathroom.

You are cautioned to slow down by the doctor instead of by the police.

You stop looking forward to your next birthday.

A bit of comedy to lighten up the mood.

But seriously,

Getting older Isn't a bad thing - not completly anyway. Older means - mature,

sophisticated, intellegent, well travelled, well educated. Most of us have decent

jobs, know exactly what one wants out of life.

Some of families are focused on the well being of our families and loved ones.

When youre older you could still have fun, but in a different way.

9. Dizzney

When I still lived up north, we use to sled a lot. Our one house had a little hill for our backyard that ended up into the woods. I remember one time sledding down it and slamming into a tree. I think I felt paralyzed for a moment but I was okay. :lol: My older brothers had go-carts and use to drag me behind in the wagon all around the neighborhood. That was fun.

10. althea

althea Lab Technician

^^ We had a little downhill grassy slope at the back of our yard too but we didn't have sled's though just makeshift cardboard boxes that you had to hold onto for dear life as you screamed your way downhill:lol: Ah the good ole days seems like I was much more adventurous back then:lol:

Did any of you guys have penpals? I had a few back when I was in primary and high school I don't know if people still do that?

11. Jacquie

I had one penpal a girl from Australia. Her mom was a friend of Mom's best friend. I don't know why we stopped writing. Do kids today actually know who to write letters other than on email. I remember once having to teach some one how to fill out a bank deposit slip. All the banks here have gone to a 'paperless' approach to banking so you don't have to fill out withdrawal or deposit slips. Business still fill out deposit books though.

There is the rare time I thing it would be nice to be a kid today but I look at what I had back in the good days and what they have today and I say nope I liked my growing up in the 60s and 70s :)

12. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Oh my gosh! I totally forgot that I had a penpal from France when I was in high school! I want to say her name was Sylvie, but maybe that was because every French lesson used the name Sylvie. :lol:

Um, Jacquie, I fill out deposit tickets for people all day long. :scream: By the end of a long payday Friday, it's very frustrating to have people send a $678.31 check through the drive up and say, "I wanna put $50 in my account." Then I have to look it up, fill out the ticket, do the math....and if I ask them to do it themselves I get a look that could kill! Or they pull up and just say, "I need fifty out of my account" and I have to again, look it up, fill out the ticket, and have them sign it. :brickwall:

On the plus side, you just reminded me how :D I am to be on vacation this week!!!

13. althea

althea Lab Technician

That's funny:lol: I've been thinking about these penpals I had in high school as well and I only remember one name Emma something or other.:lol: Ooh the memory she be going slowly and its not funny!

And when was the last time anyone here actually bought postage stamps? I bought over a year ago when we had the Christmas card swap on the CSI NY board:eek:

Smokey enjoy your vacation.;)

14. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

My grandparents' garden had a slopey hill and we used to slide down it with cardboard boxes as well. Right beside the hill there were lampposts and we'd pretend to be firemen and go down the poles. It was fun actually. I'd never trade my childhood in the '80s and early '90s for one in the new millennium. Ah suddenly I feel nostalgic. :lol:

Penpals, huh? I used to have penpals too and yes like most of you here, I can't seem to remember their names for the life of me. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  15. Dizzney

I had penpals but I sure can't remember them now. :lol:

I won't trade my childhood for now either. I remember that my parents would let me go alone and play in the woods or cornfield by us. These days even as an adult you would be risking your life going out alone in some place like that.