Grade 'Veritas'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 24, 2008.

?

How would you grade Veritas?

1. A+

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. A

24 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. A-

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I thought it was a great start to the new season! :thumbsup: I gave it an A.

Many of my comments have already been mentioned. Once again we have Super!Mac (although I'm not complaining!) but at least they showed him injured and actually woozy and admitting to having a concussion. But did anyone really think he'd go home and rest? Really? :guffaw: And yeah, he is a lucky bastard, with the bullet hitting the stretched shirt sleeve (Lindsay: "I'd go out and buy a few more of those shirts, Mac" :lol: Um, yeah, ya think? ) Also laughed at the scene with the plant between Mac/Lindsay (Mac: "I'm sensing a demonstration...") *snort*

Was nice seeing Hawkes and Danny's concern :) Sid's new toy rocked. Great scene of Flack and Adam together, have we seen them together in a scene before? I can't really recall one. Love that he went to Flack first with the info. about his sister, even having Mac as a boss, I would have done the same thing, quite possibly. And the scene between Adam/Mac was priceless, as they usually are. Those two have excellent onscreen chemistry! :p As someone else mentioned, Mac's "Mad Face" was a hoot! And sweet Adam, "Oh, that went well..." ;) And of course, the casting of Flack's sister was dead-on perfect, IMO. Those two were very good and believable together, looking forward to seeng more!

Rambo Stella was back, with a vengeance! Great "dangling from the umpteenth floor" scene! I did roll my eyes a bit at the chase scene, but I always do, when I see women chasing down perps (and very successfully, I might add) while they're wearing 3-inch heels :wtf: But alas, it's not just CSI NY, or even just the CSI franchise, who are guilty of that. But no matter how many times I see it on TV, I still have to chuckle.

I thought Elias Koteas did a wonderful job, once again, as "Joe". Good actor and villian. Those flashbacks, particularly the scenes with Samantha's doomed friend, gave me wee bit of goosebumps, very well done. Poor girl, she should have stuck with Mac when she had the chance...

Finally, loved the final scene (although I felt bad for the unknowing wife and daughter, but how could the wife really not know?) Great shot, with Mac showing up behind him during the phone call. Loved Mac's "Laundry List" of offenses, and even though I pretty much knew some semblance of his final line was coming, it still made me laugh.

Overall, a Thumbs Up to "Veritas"! :thumbsup: Nice to see everyone back!

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Good episode! Though, I have to admit, by far the best part was getting to see so much of Adam, especially in the credits :D He really shone in this episode, IMO. The scene with Flack in the precinct, and then with Mac later on...

I also loved getting to see Samantha, and can't wait for more of her.

3. AnJella

AnJella CSI Level One

Good episode I gave it a B+.
    Just like in 'Hostage' there was too much 'Mac' . But that's already the only thing I didn't like about it. As I think there are possibilities for even better eppies. Yay! Aj and Robert are in the credits and they got more screentime just like Flack. *does a happy dance* And Stella..In most of the first half I really wondered where she was...but then when she was after Ethan I finally got RamboStella to see :D. The ending was so cool. I didn't expect so many police officers waiting at the station at all and Mac's ...and most importantly for pissing me off...was hilarious :guffaw:

4. kkennedytx

kkennedytx Rookie

I gave it a "B+" -- I thought this was a good episode but still too Mac-centric for me. Nonetheless, this is Gary Sinise's show so it is what it is. I liked Flack's sister--definitely great casting there. Was excited to see both Sid and Adam finally made it into the opening credits and loved their scenes. I wonder why both CSI:NY and CSI:Miami get all the super-duper high tech gadgets while original CSI doesn't (or does it and I never noticed because of the overcrowded cast?).

Anyway, glad to see the show back.

5. CSINYGal88

CSINYGal88 Hit and Run

I always thought that LV got most of the gadgets. But I haven't seen that show a lot...so my eyes could be decieving me.

Mac does get some pretty cool stuff, though. Remember that time he got all fan boy about some machine that they let him buy? :lol: That was hilarious how his eyes lit up and he had that grin on his face. Cute!

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I gave it a C for complete and utter predictability. The whole Mac and Joe interactions played out exactly as one would suspect, with Joe staying one step ahead of Mac until in the end, of course, Mac was able to out-smart him. It was all too easy, too predictable, too bland.

The only things that got me excited?

1. Seeing AJ Buckley and Robert Joy in the main credits.

2. AJ's awesome, awesome performance. I love how he went to Flack with the news about Sam, and then defended the decision to Mac, even as he looked somewhat flustered and shamefaced. Seriously, great acting and nice bit of continuity there!

3. Flack and his sister's interactions were spot on. So glad to see she's not just a cliched bad girl--I really felt for Sam, and thought her efforts to turn her life around were genuine. Is she going to be like Flack? No. But I believe she's genuinely trying to stay out of trouble. I loved the interactions between her and Flack. I totally bought them as siblings, and the actors were both fantastic.

7. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I gave it a solid A. I'm paying homage to *coughcough*rippingoff*coughcough* Fay with my review style. :shifty: :p :D

**Nice shirt Stella! That green looks very striking on you. You could stand to fasten at least one more button, though.

**Rut Roh! Mac's in trouble nao!

**Still the annoying remix of "Baba O'Reilly." Yay. Bob! AJ! Yaaay, they're both in the opening credits!

**Silly bank robber, Mac was a marine. You can't drown a marine, silly bank robber.

**Way to jump out and scare the poor woman, Mac. I know you have to get a hold of someone, but you really don't look injured. I'm just sayin'.

**Huh. It's the second robber. Where the hell did he come from?!

**Wow, the lab just got pwned by Jersey. But Mac is pissed, so their investigation will go on! You can't put Mac Taylor on the sidelines, damnit!

**The X-Factor! I love the song. :lol:

**And it's going to be another technology overload for PA. Although I have to say this one is pretty damn cool. I think Stella and Sid should look more impressed.

**Yes, Sid. "Post-mortem" does mean "after death." Thanks for the clarification, Captain Obvious. I still loves you, though, dahling.

**A bullet in Mac's shirt?! WTF?! Lindsay, don't take that tone with Mac, he is your boss, you know. Mac, why the hell didn't you just fire her ass for taking that tone with you? Oh, you're concussed, so I guess that explains it. I have a feeling Lindsay was supposed to sound concerned but Anna Belknap's limited skillz made her sound annoyed and argumentative.

**Even with a major concussion that should have him laid up in the hospital, Mac has to do Lindsay's job for her and make all of the connections. If you weren't concussed, Mac, I'd expect you to fire her ass for being inept.

**On the other hand, Hawkes, Adam and Danny have no problem doing their jobs and drawing conclusions without Mac having to step in and do it for them.

**Danny: "We find Joe's family, we find Joe." Enter The X-Factor and his awesome skillz. Danny: "We find the money, we find Joe." :lol:

**Doesn't Joe have caller ID? I know he's busy ransacking an apartment and all, but you'd think he'd check to see who's calling. Is his phone from the '80's or what?

**Flack sent out the picture, dumb ass. You've pissed him off nao! Hey! Adam's at the station and he's looking for Flack. Rut Roh! Flack is not pleased with Adam's information. "Give me two hours." Adam is so cute when he's flustered and all conflicted.

**Mac's kit has all the answers. Get my kit nao, Danny!

**PTB: "We need a hot club with pretty people to attract the youngins'. It isn't a NY episode if there aren't a lot of young, white, pretty people!"

**Sam is great and so is Flack's big brother routine.

**WARNING! DANGER! LINDSAY DEMONSTRATION AHEAD! OK, so everyone else on the team comes to Mac with an update that is helpful and moves the case forward. Lindsay comes to Mac to show him a cool plant and to inform him they're found all over NYC. Then she looks at him like she expects a promotion or a pat on the head and a cookie. Mac, you're obviously still concussed or I assume you'd fire her ass for being useless.

**Adam is adorable when he's scared of Mac, but he holds his ground. Yay Adam! Rut Rho! Mac's giving Adam the Marine Death Glare. But that's all Adam gets. Concussed Mac Taylor will tolerate such insolence!

**Lauren is the woman in the car who helped Mac! Dun Dun Duuunnnn.

**I gotta agree with big bro, Sam. You need to pick your friends more wisely. I love, love, love the Flack siblings together. I'd love to see a scene where Danny and Sam rip on Flack together while Flack gives them his Big Brother Death Glare.

**Did I miss the explanation of how the three bank robbers ended up working together?? I'm confuzzled.

**So, Stella is with Mac and she explains the results from the wood Lindsay found mixed with the dirt and awesum plant. Does that mean Lindsay foisted off the rest of her job on Stella?

**Mac changed his damn ring tone!!!1!1!

**Owwie. Sucks to be Lauren.

**Adam found the real passport. Lindsay explains the rest are fakes. Thank you Captain Obvious. So, Lindsay stands around and watches Adam do his job and then runs off with the passport to do the easy part. She's damn lucky Mac is concussed because she should've been fired like 847 times in this episode.

**Go get that evil bank robber, Stella! OK, Stella could've shot Joe 847 times but didn't. Instead she runs after him and turns her back on him and ends up dangling over a building from a duffel bag. Um, yeah, PTB. Stella is competent. You've established that eons ago so don't make her look stupid now. It was an exciting scene, though, I'll give you that.

**Why is Mac the one with the authority to decide how Joe/Ethan gets taken down? Especially since he's concussed and should've fired Lindsay 847 times but didn't.

**Sorry, Joe/Ethan. You're not getting away, dumb ass.

**"And most of all for pissing me off." Mac FTW!! That is such a Horatio line, but Gary Sinese makes it sound bad ass and cool.

I was really entertained by this episode. I still think part one was a good episode but a crappy season finale, but all in all it was a great two parter.

8. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I gave it a B as like Top I thought it was a bit predictable but all in all a good episode. Loved Adam, he is such a vunerable fumbling character, the total opposite of Mac, which is why I think scenes with those 2 work so well. I also loved the look on Flacks face when Adam showed up at the precinct like 'what are you doing here?'

For those outside the US who cant watch it on the CBS website, you can see the whole episode here:

*Link removed by moderator*

Off topic - what is going on with Lindsays hair? Anna really doesn't suit a fringe!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008
  9. CSINYGal88

CSINYGal88 Hit and Run

Thank you Dane Cook and Forrest Gump! :lol:

Yeah, Mac/Gary was a Bad Ass Mother---you know what.

;)

Maybe Horatio will get smarter? :guffaw:

10. kinehelene

kinehelene Hit and Run

I gave it an A.
    But im with Top41.
    It was too predictability.

But i gave it an A cuz ive missed csiny :lol:
    And it was great to see AJ Buckley and Robert Joy in the main credits.
    they deserved that, both of them.

11. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Just watched the episode and yes, I fully second the above. Predictability = Not exciting. It's tough to be absorbed in a story when you already know what's going to happen and how things will end, ya know? The sad thing is that this is the season premiere.

Yes, AJ Buckley was awesome. :D Took TPTB long enough to make him a regular! He was wonderful in practically every scene. He and Flack definitely need more scenes together in future episodes. I felt for him when Mac gave him the Mac-glare. :lol:

Sam, hell yes, TPTB scored another point for great casting choice there! It's like TPTB can do no wrong where Flack is concerned. :lol: (Boy, am I happy about that, considering what they've already done to Danny.) I hope to see more Sam and more Flack-sibling interaction in future episodes.

And okay, I gotta mention this, I thought Lindsay's mimosa plant demonstration was useless with a dash of lame, especially since Mac told her to go find something 'helpful' after it. Yeesh, he might as well have said she just wasted precious minutes of his time and should go do her job instead of trying to suck up to him for treats or something. If it'd been relevant to the case or to helping Mac, it wouldn't have been that bad but no, it had no purpose at all. It was like the writers couldn't think of anything for her character and in desperation, chucked in a random demonstration scene just for the sake of her appearing.

12. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Poppet, I have edited out the link in your post. Currently there are only two legal ways to watch the episodes online soon after they have aired in the US, and they are the CBS site and iTunes. If you are outside of the US then you can't watch them on those sites, any other sites which give you access to entire episodes are acting illegally and cannot be linked to.

13. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

I don't think LV has the super cool gadgets...it works for them.

14. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

That was perfectly put! :guffaw:

I thought the episode was less than exciting, but echo many of you in saying that Samantha was perfectly cast. I especially liked the interaction between her and Flack -- they are very much alike in personality, but the friction from the divergence in their personal lives was palpable. Loved it!

Otherwise... meh.

15. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Sorry.