The Actors/Actresses who Leave *No Spoilers*

Destiny

Still Sanity Challenged!
Premium Member
There comes a time when we actors/actresses leave a show that they have been apart of from day one. They create the characters they play making them so unique to the point that they can not be replaced with another actor/actresses in that same role. On this show they make/made up a terrific ensamble cast. But there comes that time when one or more them decides to move on, be it for personal reasons, to do other projects, or just because they want to get away from it all for a while.

This thread is to discuss and give your interreptation/opinion, on how those who will be gone will affect not only the other actors/actresses and the show overall. In this thread if you find an interview in which the actor or actress discusses leaving the show (that does not include spoilers) and their take on it, please feel free to post it and discuss it.

I do have to add that this thread will not be about how it will affect any ship (that has its own forum), or dominate a certain character (they have their own threads). We are talking about with characters is how they got that chemistry with said actor/actress who is leaving, and how with this happening it may or may not change them, will it change the show for the better or worse. What is being taken away, or being brought to. This is about them as friends, family and what they have brought to us and what I have mentioned above.

One last thing, please no pictures we have enough threads for that and all rules apply. ;)
ETA: While using other shows as an example please remember this is for the LV show lol. We don't want to move this thread to General Tv & Media. :)

Last edited:
Having been a couch potato for more years than some of the board members have lived, I have watched many shows change actors in the main cast. Some have been for the better, some have been about the same quality yet different, and some bombed. I could list M*A*S*H, Mission: Impossible, Hawaii Five-0, some of the Star Treks, Monk, Ironsides, ER, and of course, Law & Order (TOS and CI). But, if I like a show, at least I give it a chance after the changes are made. Valerie Harper left "Valerie after 11 episodes, but the show went on for 78 more episodes after Sandy Duncan took over and the title changed to Valerie's Family. And most remember M*A*S*H after Trapper, Frank, and Henry left and BJ, Charles, and Sherman came in. Just as good as the originals, or possibly better. Just my opinion.

I agree with you Dynamo1, I think most shows do just as well when they have change of cast as long as there is always someone around as a constant. I mean ER has been through major changes and three of my faves have left that show over the years and yet I still watch it, because it can still have some really good storylines and that is what it comes down to for me, the stories. As long as they can keep up with stories that interest me I will keep watching, so matter who comes and goes.

I've watched many of the shows that Dynamo1 mentioned with changing actors and yup some of them were better with the new actors. M*A*S*H was certainly better with Sherman T. Potter at the helm. Henry Blake was too wishy washy as a commanding officer. And Charles Emerson Winchester was actually a better foil for Hawkeye and BJ than Frank was. Most of us don't like change but it is part of life. I'm sure for the actors that are staying on CSI it will give them a chance to refresh their characters givet them a new reason to show up for work every day.

I agree with all the above. Change isn't always easy, but I believe you have to give it a chance. No, CSI won't be the same, no show is when any of the original cast leaves, but that doesn't mean the show will go down hill. The shows Dynamo mentions above prove that.

Cast changes can breathe new life in the show. I will miss Grissom when he leaves. His character will probably be one of my all time favorites. He is very unique. Though I miss the old Grissom more. Warrick, I will definitely miss, more the unique friendship between him and Nick.

My jury is still out concerning Lauren Lee Smith, but I'm willing to give her a chance. Now that time has passed, I am looking forward to seeing Laurence Fishburne on the show. I'm really interested in how this will all play out. Especially with him having these past careers and now he, basically, starts over as a CSI level 1.

Law and Order is a perfect example of how you have to give a character a chance. Everytime someone left and someone new came in, I'm like, no, I liked that character and then over time I get used to the new character and I'm fine with the change.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the season premiere, if it ever gets here. :rolleyes: and to see what happens after Episdoe 10.

However, this is easy to say because my favorite hasn't left. Don't know what I'd do if NIck left.

Yeah, I have to agree with you speedystokes, if Nick left then I'd probably would have to reexamine whether I'd watch the show. It would depend on who they brought in though.

I'm willing to give Lauren Lee Smith a chance. A younger character will be cool to watch as I liked Ronnie and thought she was cute. And since LLS is a Canuck then I'm doubly ready to give her a chance.

Certainly, I want to give Lawrence Fishbourne a chance. He's a fine actor and I think the character will give the show a new dimension.

Law and Order is a perfect example of how you have to give a character a chance. Everytime someone left and someone new came in, I'm like, no, I liked that character and then over time I get used to the new character and I'm fine with the change.
"Law & Order" is a great example. However, that show had major cast changes almost from the get-go. (Det. Max Greavey, played by George Dzunda, was killed off in the Season 2 opener, replaced by Paul Sorvino.) And over the years, they succeeded quite well with their revolving door of actors/characters . . . until Lennie Briscoe. As it turns out, the late, great Jerry Orbach was their one irreplaceable cast member. However, Dennis Farina did a respectable job in what had to be a thankless position following in Orbach's footsteps. But then they really stumbled when they cast Milena Govich as Cassady. I was worried that was going to be the show's last season -- and a bad one, at that -- but then they corrected their mistake with some brilliant casting moves last season, adding Jeremy Sisto and Linus Roache. For that matter, no one has played the DA as well as Steven Hill did, though finally having Sam Waterston's Jack McCoy move up into that role has turned out to be an interesting twist.

Anyway, my point being that change was a part of "Law & Order" from the beginning. The difference between that and "CSI" is that the original cast remained intact through Season 7 and on into Season 8, before Jorja Fox left. And now we have two more starring cast members who have left or are in the process of leaving. I'm willing to give the show a chance, but admit to having strong misgivings because, after all, William Petersen was the whole reason I started watching "CSI" in the first place. It's really hard for me to imagine the show without him.

To be honest, I had never heard of any of the original cast when CSI first started. I have watched David Caruso and Gary Sinese and a few others from the spinoffs, but none of the original series. I like them all very much, but I mostly watched for the cases and techniques, and I will continue to watch, depending on the writing, long after all the original cast have gone.

To be honest, I had never heard of any of the original cast when CSI first started. I have watched David Caruso and Gary Sinese and a few others from the spinoffs, but none of the original series. I like them all very much, but I mostly watched for the cases and techniques, and I will continue to watch, depending on the writing, long after all the original cast have gone.

I as well had only heard of the ones Dynamo1 mentioned but also Marg Helgenberger, she was in "Erin Brockovich" and "China Beach" as well as some other screen time. Also Paul, saw him in a few movies. Billy I had seen him in "The Rat Pack" as JFK, and thought at the time. "boy is hs cute" but had never heard of him, and then had seen "The Contender", but the memory of that was vague, then when CSI started I go "I've seen this guy before" and started researching him:)the rest is history. I love the entire cast the original, that is, and did become attached to certain characters..and it will be a bummer to have it change, but I can continue to follow my favs. wherever they go, or do, their not dying, just leaving this fabulous show:( as Grissom said in "Mea Culpea" it's in change that we find purpose~

Last edited:
Hi all this is my first post. Cast changes happen for a variety of reasons sometimes personal sometimes creative but I can say no matter what genre it is it never goes over well. I am a huge sci-fi fan and I can tell no matter what the circumstances fans will be upset but cast changes happen you can't make them stay if they are not happy it happens it not a new concept or rare concept either fans accept it or don't I have been on both sides just depends if is your favorite character or not.

I think season 9 of CSI will be a huge test for the series, WP has a huge fanbase and I know there are some viewers who will stop watching. LF on the other hand also has a huge fanbase and will bring in new viewers, so I think it might even out. The ratings may fall but not drastically IMO. I am anxious for the season to start and I am willing to give the new characters a chance.

I began watching CSI because it looked like a good show and I was right, I watched it for the stories and crimes, and I even learned some things but I have grown attached to the characters as well. Sara was never my favorite and I was one who was glad to see her go, Warrick I liked and will miss him but I am not devastated by his departure, Grissom was great fun and I know it won't be the same without him. So as the old saying goes : 'The show must go on'. But that being said, I must admit if Eric ever left I don't know if I would keep watching.

Last edited:

The only ones I'd ever heard of were Billy and Marg. Billy from the movie "Fear" and Marg from some tv movie stuff she did, mostly a movie with Richard Dean Anderson. But the others I hadn't heard of.

As for the spin-offs. I'd heard of David Caruso of course, but never seen him act before Miami (I didn't watch NYPD Blue) and I'd heard of Adam Rodriguez cause he was on Roswell and Rory cause he was in one of my fave movies (Empire Records). But, none of the others. Well, I forgot about Delaney, of course I'd heard of her. :lol: As for NY, the two main stars Gary and Melina I'd heard of. I was a huge Gary Sinise fan already. And I'd also heard of Eddie Cahill before (a short lived WB/UPN show I think), but not the rest of them.

I think CSI will be fine. If ER can survive, why not CSI? I mean, I gave up on ER cause it got to be where it was more of a bed-hopping show than a medical drama. :lol: Like Melrose Place only in a hospital. Musical beds. :lol: I'm surprised that many people still watch it to be honest. :lol: But, as long as CSI doesn't turn into a bed-hopping nonsense fest then I think it will be just fine even with cast changes.

Wojo, I agree with you about the fact that it might even out with Billy fans leaving and LF fans joining. I also agree with you about the fact that if Eric ever left the I don't think I could watch anymore. :lol: Eric and George are my top two favorite things about CSI. :D

Last edited:
Back