08 Presidential Elections

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Calihan, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

WE, were all blown completely away, a masterpiece speech, he covered everything..[​IMG] he's a fantastic, profound, compelling, exhiralting, powerful speaker, the total package he covered eveything.. and made it real, he's unique and will take this country in a new direction the right direction YES WE CAN[​IMG]

2. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

John McCain has chosen Alaska Governor Sarah Palin (44) to be his running mate. She is strongly pro-life (apparently conservative Protestant). anti-gay marriage, but vetoed a measure denying benefits to domestic partners; husband is Native American who works for BP oil in off-season. Not sure of her environmental stances. Anyone out there know more about her?

(twelve hours later)
    OMG, over at SciFi's Battlestar Galactica Adama/Roslin thread, they've got side-by-side (well, top and bottom) photos of McCain and Palin, then Tigh and Roslin; they do look a lot alike! No-o-o-o! :brickwall:
    Given a choice among those four, Laura Roslin is my President. (I've always hoped to find an appropriate place to voice that sentiment :lol:)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  3. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

*Cowers because it looks like she's the only Republican*

For the above post, Palin has 5 kids. The youngest, born in April, has Down Syndrome. The oldest is being deployed to Iraq. She hunts elk and moose hahahaha! She's fought with oil companies and won, and I personally think she's a great choice for VP.

So...about Obama's speech at the convention: A thing I keep noticing with him is that he keeps bashing the country and what a terrible job Bush has done. Well we're aware of the problems here, Obama....What are you going to do to "change" them? He keeps preaching this "change" business, but is really vague as to how he's going to go about it.

By the way, I don't understand why everyone is so amazed by the "change" thing. Have you ever seen a candidate say, "You know what? We're going to keep things exactly as crappy as they are!!" Every candidate is for change. It's not original.

The thing that concerns me the most about him is how little experience he's had. When he got the Illinois state senate, he used that whole time campaigning for US senate. When he got that, he used that time (2 years...real impressive) to run for the presidency!!!

The man makes a good speech, I'll give him that. And he knows how to be charismatic and likable. But those aren't the necessary qualities to be the leader of the free world. Just because McCain is old (and boring to some people) and in the same party as Bush doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing. So what if Obama has a bunch of celebrities backing him? Is that what's important? Famous people support him so that means he can run the country?

Obama also keeps preaching entitlement (though that phrase isn't used). This really bothers me. I agree that African Americans and otehr minorites have had it incredibly hard in years past. But that's over now. I'm not saying racism isn't rampant in this country, because it is. But now everyone has equal rights. The government needs to quit giving out so many hand-outs. Some welfare should be temporarily given to sober people who really need a break. But the way the government is spending money is ridiculous. Anyway, this country is founded on working hard to get what you want, and I'd like it to be that way. I don't want to get a scholarship just because I belong to a certain race. I want to get one for deserving it. And that example includes several other things as well.

No one seems to listen to or know these things, that's why I'm throwing them out there. I will honestly be worried about my future if Obama gets the presidency. He's NOT qualified. I think McCain has enough experience and passion for this country to do the job. He's fought for this country voluntarily, and was a POW. His captors even offered to let him go home because his father was an influential naval officer. But he refused, and would only go home if his men were also released. He was treated so horribly, and he barely made it out alive.

This man has accomplished much in his life and I think someone that is that dedicated to the country deserves the presidency much more than someone who keeps bashing the country and hasn't gone through anything like that. Not that being a POW is a requirement, but it just helps remind us of his patriotism. McCain doesn't boast these things either(his campaign does a little), like Obama boasts his "accomplishments."

Some of you may be voting for Obama because of issues like gay rights, health care, and civil rights. And those are important, but (in my OPINION) you shouldn't vote for someone completely unqualified with barely any experience, let alone any federal experience.

Woo. I'm sick of typing.

Edit: I just realized that what I said about the gay rights and health care issues kinda made it look like they weren't important. What I mean is that some may be voting for Obama because of his stance on those things. But I'm afraid he wouldn't be able to live up to his promises...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  4. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Things are really heating up out there! Here's a link to a hilarious faux site out of Redmond, WA (perhaps some Microsoft techies with a little time on their hands?)
    http://tighroslin.com/ Comedy Central's Indecision 2008 started this in May and now it's snowballing. :guffaw:

(This will have more meaning if you have some familiarity with Battlestar Galactica)

5. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

Hollyyo, I don't think anyone's here's going to bash you for your political opinions, though I do disagree with some points (though I also agree with a lot of it).

Yeah, Obama does preach a lot about change and not so much about how to go about it but we're still in the early stages - I haven't heard anything about McCain's policies either, least of all how he's gonna change anything when he agrees with so much that Bush has done (besides on the waterboarding issue). Of course he won't be bashing the country. He's not planning on changing anything.

And while I think out of all the Republican nominees he's the lesser of those evils, I still don't think I'd like the way he would run the Country. I was listening to some of the statements Senator McCain and Palin were making the other day and I was honestly kind of sickened by all the negativity in their comments. Does anyone else find it kind of hypocritical that he dotes on Obama's inexeperience so much but picks a running mate with so much less than Obama.

She doesn't believe in human contribution to global warming, she tried to file a lawsuit against someone who attempted to put polar bears on the endangered species list. She didn't go too against the oil companies, and supports drilling in an Arctic wild refuge, which I consider a direct attack on the environment.

She's against abortion even in extreme cases - rape and incest victims, which I also find disgusting. A woman shouldn't be forced to bear a child in any situation. She's against gay marriage, she's against equal rights for gay couples and I don't see that as anything except blatant, open and legal bigotry. On that alone I wouldn't be able to vote for her.

I'd rather vote for an inexperienced candidate with at least some human values and empathy. He'll make an effort to take the country forward: allowing everyone in the country, be it gay, poor, a visible minority, whatever feel a sense of belonging, and that's why I would vote for him given the opportunity. I would never vote for a candidate who, though they have the ability to do that, refuse to based on their values which simply propagate and legalise hatred.

6. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

^^phew..thanks for not freaking out on me! A lot of people will do that to me and it gets really old...

Technically, Palin has more experience than McCain, Obama, AND Biden. She has run something executively, and none of them can say that, not even McCain. So she makes a good choice as VP in my opinion.

So I do agree with you on a few things also, but I'm just afraid that if Obama gets it, regardless of his viewpoints, he won't be capable of running something so massive. I've seen a video where they compiled several clips of Obama flip flopping on issues throughout his campaign, and that scares me a little too.

But McCain does want to change the country and all the corruption in the government. He did support Bush at first, (like a lot of us did) but after the whole mideast fiasco he's changed his viewpoints. (but not during his campaign like Obama has done)

There are things about McCain I don't like, but I guess no candidate can please someone completely.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree. :)

7. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Hi Holly
    I’m glad there are Republicans contributing here because single-sided discussions very quickly become boring. But a couple of things you said I find concerning.

Gov. Palin’s family owned a local sports equipment business for about four years; that’s not exactly the depth of business executive experience I’d be looking for in a President. If you’re talking about being mayor of Wasilla, AK, well, my high school student body president had as many constituents as she did there. Now, if you’re talking about her being governor of Alaska, that’s got my interest.

Regarding oil companies, her husband works for BP and she is for more offshore drilling (as are Obama and McCain) and for drilling in the Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge (Obama is not).

If you put their stands on the issues side-by-side, you’ll find very little difference between Bush and McCain, and as you said:
    Since when does pointing out the need to repair the damage to our country and its reputation done by eight years of Bush constitute bashing our country.

I, too, wish Obama had more international affairs experience, but then McCain has none either. Both have domestic experience, only. As much as I honor Senator McCain's service to his country, eight years as a POW does not constitute international affairs experience. Before you compare the two, please check out the effects of such prolonged isolation and torture in a foreign country with a psychiatrist. I'm sure he'll tell you the "international affairs experience" you're thinking about is not one of the outcomes.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  8. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

^^ Yes, I am talking about her being Governor. :) She might even know what she's doing more than McCain himself does. Which is why I think she's a great choice for a running mate. Surely there's other Republicans around with more experience in international affairs, but I think she would make a good VP anyway. It was a good political move to choose a woman too. (Not that that makes her more qualified, but I think it will bring the votes up.)

I don't count his POW experience as being in international affairs. (I think it sounded like I did though.)

What I'm really trying to say is that probably neither of them are wholly "qualified" to run this country, but I agree more with McCain and his policies. (Probably helps that I'm a Republican :) )

If you mean that McCain and Bush have mostly the same views on the issues (gay rights, abortion, whatnot) then yeah, I agree. But that is (mostly) a party thing. As far as the war goes, McCain does not like how Bush handled it, and he really wants to change that whole situation.

If you're interested, I would suggest reading the new Time magazine McCain issue. I'll admit, he does sound like a hard butt sometimes, but I just...agree with him more.

Yep. BTW, I can't remember who it was, but someone had some crazy smilies a few posts back....how did you do that?

9. Desertwind

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and of course their candidate, for me, I can't see in any way shape or from 4 more years of the Bush policies, NOT 4 MORE hasn't this been wonderful?:rolleyes: :( and a candidate who has no time table for withdrawing our troops from Iraq:borg: and I like John McCain, as a person, but he's a old man, and talks like he's got a mouth full of mush, and I've never heard of his new VP, but certainly we will all know...... I would cringe if I had to watch him trying to run the country. I'm glad that Obama has little background in politics he's only 47, that pretty much speaks for it's self! he'll be open to new ideas and new fresh approaches and he's got Biden for the background, [foreign policy etc.] and his long record of experience. And I'm a long time Democratic, and am chomping at the bit to see him change our country for the better "YES WE CAN" :bolian:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  10. MaxPointy

MaxPointy Hit and Run

My politics have always been right-wing, borderline libertatian, and while much of the republican based wasn't thrilled when Mccain became the nominee apparent, there are worse things that could have happened.

Let's face it...nobody even remotely connected to the Bush administration was going to be elected. McCain was as far an outsider that you could pick without going outside the party.

I view his pick of Sarah Palin as an olive branch to disaffected conservative values voters. I think the fact that she's a woman, and an attractive one too, was a bonus. I also don't buy into the idea that she's too inexperienced to be VP. Teddy Roosevelt was gov of NY for about 2 years before becoming McKinley's VP. His face is currently on Mt Rushmore so I guess everything worked out OK for him. Now that I've done a bit more reading up on her, she seems to be the best ideological match to McCain, and most likely to carry his policies forward should McCain die in office.

Obama, OTOH, was a 'community organizer' (damned if I know what that job is supposed to include), who became a state senator, and then a US senator who began his run for president the moment he set foot in Washington. I can't think of a single legislative accomplishment he has to his name. He's chaired no comittees, hasn't had to make any tough choices, and is completely untested as a leader. After all this time, I still have no clue what he's running on other than "change." He's also got a lot of associations (cought...Bill Ayers) that make me question his judgement and make me wonder how influenced he might be by the extreme leftists in his inner circle. I have no problem with a black man as president, but I do have a problem with the idea of a liberal president.

Simply put: The bottom of the Republican ticket has more experience than the top of the democratic ticket.

I know McCain isn't always the most electrifying public speaker or a fountain of pop-culture references, but after the last 8 years, I'm ready for a boring presdient. I'm not prepared to gamble on Obama.

11. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

My thoughts exactly!

12. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

I've just seen on the news that Sarah Palin's 17 year old daughter is 5 months pregnant. Not that I'm judging I couldn't care either way but I must say when the news anchor named all her 5 children in the news bulletin I stopped in my tracks.

Track, Trigg, Piper, Willow & Bristol :eek: They are pretty way out names. I've only ever heard of 'Willow' as a name before. Again I'm not judging but I found those names pretty amazing.

As a non American my opinion on the Democrats and Republicans doesn't really matter, I don't get to vote so my POV is irrelevant but I have been swept up in Obamamania I can't stand the sight of John McCain but again my opinion isn't based on the candidates policies but I've always rooted for the Democrats at each election and I don't have the highest opinion of George Bush, and I am not a supporter of the Iraq war I do not want John McCain to win this election.

If Obama wins and he stays true to his word of the withdrawl of US Troops from Iraq the British Troops will also withdraw and that is something I want to happen.

I'm not getting my hopes up and expecting a Democrat victory. Both John Kerry and Al Gore were favourites in the run up to the election and were projected to win but Bush won both times so I would not be surprised if John McCain did win.

I must say that from the very first Primary and Cacauses in Iowa and New Hampshire at the start of January this election looked a lifetime away and it is now a short 8 weeks away:eek:

13. MaxPointy

MaxPointy Hit and Run

This whole Palin's daughter pregnancy thing will be be a non-issue.

Not that teen pregnancy is something to celebrate on the side of a campaign bus, but plenty of families of all political stripes go through it - if anything it further humanizes that family. McCain obviously knew about this but decided it was irrelevant.

I mean if Reagan could survive his daughter posing for playboy while he was in office, this will only be a blip in the radar.

Disappointing yes, disastrous no.

14. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

Those are pretty far-out names. When I heard them, I was like...um...Alaskan people...

Anyway, I think the thing most people don't understand is that we can't pull out of Iraq and other places immediately. We aren't only there to help make them a democracy, we're there to stop the insurgents. If we pull out now, we'll be seen as weak, and they will definitely target us.:(

Not that I like the war, nobody does. I'm disgusted by all those people outside the DNC protesting the freaking war when we have a more pressing matter at hand. It's dumb of them to think that all Republicans want war. :scream: Not all of us have the same exact viewpoints.

BTW: Most Republicans don't even like Bush at this point. He's screwed up royally. McCain doesn't even like what he's done. So please quit assuming that just because he's a Republican he approves of Bush and all his decisions....

15. Desertwind

Latest poll from CBS!

Obama 48%
    McCain 40%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.