Ryan/Natalia/Frank/Valera petition thread!

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Aug 22, 2008.

?

More development for these characters?

1. Agree -

97.7%
  2. Disagree -

2.3%
  1. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

Re: Ryan/Natalia/Frank/Valera petiton thread!

I read Cut and Run too, and was happy the author figured it was a subject worth coming to surface!!! In one of the Harm for the Holidays books, he has an OCD freak out where he's counting a bunch of stuff.

THERE'S SO MUCH THEY CAN DOOOO!!! If TPTB feel that they need to make a personal storyline, why come up with H's random delinquent son or Calleigh getting run over all the time? Give the Ryan/Frank/Natalia/Valera fans a break for once! I love E,C, & H, but come on!!!!! :klingon:

:( There's so many things they haven't explored with the other characters that would be so great and they could come up with some great stuff!

I wouldn't blame the rejected actors if they decided to quit next season. Sad as I would be to see any of them go, we'd see more of them in other crap they're doing anyway!

Good gosh, if there was a movie with a 5 minute scene with Rex Linn as a store clerk for while Togo bought some ice cream and Eva tried on sunglasses while Boti Bliss walked past a window, we'd have more character development with them than season 6 combined! :brickwall:

Grr...I'm worked up now... :scream:

EDIT: I made an acronym for the gang. RFNV. :) Now I'm special.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I personally think that there should be less character development and make the show about the science, I remember Miami when it first started and it was a great show, now it's more like a soap opera. :(

3. greatfan

greatfan Captain

As long as making the show about the science includes the other CSI's,that's fine.Perhaps cutting out some of the Calleigh/Eric mess could help steer the show towards the science and away from the soap opera like atmosphere.

4. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

I originally thought that I would rather have all science, but there has to be some character development. I've seen shows where it's all about the main thing (science or whatever) and it's actually really boring...

But it needs to be fairly subtle. An example of too much would be in House where Cameron was trying to make House jealous by hooking up with Chase. The whole thing was really annoying.

But season 6 of Miami was drifting towards that. :( ECH already have well developed characters, but RFNV don't. :( I just want a little, that's all!

Ryan: Family? Background? Who knows! Eric and Calleigh touched hands!

Frank: Divorce? Mutilated car? I don't care! Julia swung her hair and hit Horatio in the face!

Natalia: Husband dead? Dimwitted sisters? I don't know! Kyle cut his hair!!

Valera: Sometimes has a job to do at the crime lab? Single? Married? We'll never know! Horatio put his sunglasses on!!!!

Little extreme, I know, but I'm hoping this thread will get forwarded to TPTB.

We don't need the entire show being character development. Just do it subtly throughout the season (like the wonderful season 4) and the world will be right.

5. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I partially agree. The show should be based on science as it's supposed to be, however, developing the main characters give viewers a way to relate to them & see them as "real people". Without a little character development for any of them, it would be dull, in my opinion.

Having said that though, I don't think they need to have "development overkill" with only 3 of the characters & no one else - nor do I think it's at all fair to the actors getting less development/screentime, & the fans as well.

6. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I like abit of character development, but it seems to have taken over the show. I prefer it when a case brings back some old memories or feelings that can contribute to character development, or when something does happen to the csi's they have little hints throughout the season to it (like Ryan's eye). Not episode after episode of H and his son or a case that involves one of them practically every time. And the whole Eric and Cal thing- its too much soap opera. The crime seems to have taken a back seat now.

7. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Well I totally agree with you but I have to say that it would be nice to see a little bit more about these characters:(.
    s1 and s2 were the best in this term. I mean we had a lot of episodes about science/crime and som hints about our character and every hint was useful for their development. We had:
    -Horatio and his brother who died during his UC.
    -Calleigh with her father :)adore: )who was an alcoholic and she had to pick him up from a bar.
    -Tim who had some issues with his gun. He didn't want to clean it & we don't know why.
    -Eric who enjoyed chaning girlfriend every week and had at least one sister who worried for him.
    -Alexx with two lovely children. As a mother she cared for them and she was worried by paedophilia;)

I think we, still, could have some episodes like these, but this time w/ Ryan, Natalia, Frank and Valera.
    That's what I like to see on CSI:Miami & not
    -Eric & Calleigh fighting for love.
    -Eri wanting to have sex with Calleigh but then??? We're (shipper and not shipper) waiting for that moment for more than 2 years:rolleyes:. *shame,shame,shame:scream:*
    -Calleigh being almost killed in every episode or being slapped and then going on without scratches as if nothing happened.

I'd like to see
    -Ryan helping H
    -Natalia being Calleigh's best friend and having some other issues with her gun.
    -Frank learning how to type faster with his computer:lol: (sorry I just watched "Killer Date")
    -Valera without lab coat, standing in a room and talking with the other women about a case.

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I agree that these characters should definitely get more screen time and storylines. I wanna meet Frank's kids and maybe ex-wife. More about Nat's sisters. I wanna meet Ryan's niece and sibling(s). I want Valera to be added to the opening credits. She deserves it!

Also, not to nitpick, but I just gotta say that Valera did NOT sleep with Nick. She went out with him, he got fresh, she thought that it was too fast, but he wouldn't stop (at a kiss) and that's why she hit him over the head (cause he wouldn't take no for an answer). Natalia is the one that they mentioned having slept with him in that ep.

I always got the feeling that Calleigh and Valera were best friends. Natalia became fast friends with Valera until the mole incident, but apparently they got to be friends again since they were trying to protect each other when Nick was killed. I'd like to see all three women hanging out together... whether at a restaurant/bar/club or even going shopping together. I could see the three of them sitting down at an outside cafe chatting. That would be cool. And I love the idea of Valera discussing the case with the others. Not just the women, but also with Ryan and Eric and H. Greg often did that on Vegas even when he was a DNA tech.

:lol: at the Frank thing. I loved that scene where he was hunting and pecking on the keyboard. Too funny!

I'd like an ep where one of Frank's kids is in trouble not necessarily done anything bad, but accidentally ended up mixed up with the wrong people and is now in danger or something. Something similiar for Ryan's niece (who technically would probably only be 14 or 15 by now, but maybe they could age her to 16 or 17), maybe she's got an abusive ex or current bf and Ryan has to protect her.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  9. mjszud

mjszud Captain

There's all kinds of potential in these characters!! I just don't get it -there are plenty of ways to collaberate the development of characters into the crimes/plots that happen on the show. Why they thought they needed to pull away from that -I'll never know :wtf: ...and why did it happen when Eric was shot? Has Eric been in a coma the last year 1/2 & what crap we've been watching is through his eyes!?! Oddly it would make sense considering the only 2 people he talked to was H & Calleigh in the hospital. That would actually seem more realistic to me than the plots they've been showing.:rolleyes:

10. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

Somebody needs to find SOMEONE to e-mail this thread to.

Argh.

But finding the right place to send it is probably really difficult.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Eric still in a coma sounds plausible for these writers. They would probably totally pull a Bobby/Dallas on us. :lol:

12. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Took the words right out my mouth. I love the character development, but when the development is focused on three characters, and others, just as talented, just as well liked, are given the backseat, I'd say just stick to the science. Seeing the team walk around and solve actual crimes and maybe share a few laughs together in the break room every so often, without touching basis on their personal lives every again is better than what we have now. It's just really bad writing is all. CSI: Miami has become a soap opera, starring Cal and Eric, Horatio, Horatio's sunglasses, Horatio's son, the girl Horatio got pregnant, Horatio's enemies, Horatio's gun and how menacing he looks holding it, ect. You get it. It's just been enough.

Imo, season one- season three were the best. Not that I didn't like season four- the beginning was great. But by the time Marisol stepped into the picture, it had gotten to be a little too dramatic and Horatio-central. In season one and two, the team dynamic was present, everyone was funny and likable, and Horatio wasn't a superhero. In season three, some of the team scenes were gone, but it was expected- Speedle died! That's continuity- a team in mourning, kind of rejecting the replacement. But, Ryan found a place eventually and became a great character with good storylines. Everything just worked and made sense.

*sigh* I don't know what happened. Maybe they hired new writers or something.

13. mjszud

mjszud Captain

:guffaw: (oh don't forget starring Mr.Bullet & his scary new clothing line)! That is the truth...& Corey Miller says they aren't Grey's Anatomy & never will be. :rolleyes: Uh, have you ever watched Grey's Anatomy Mr.Miller?!!??

Ya know I hate to sound rude to the writers, it isn't really my intention here, but this is complete BS & who else are we to point the finger at?!!? *stares at the writer's room table*

I used to praise 'Miami' for being so great with character development. The characters & thier interaction is what lured me in to loving this show, & sadly it's just gone now, & makes no sense. Change is one thing, this whatever-the-hell-they're-doing crap is just completely different. UGH..I just don't even have the right words for it ... just crap.

14. EmeraldEyes06

EmeraldEyes06 Lab Technician

Great idea for a thread!! :) I've missed Valera for ages, and her character is screaming for development. I think the best example of Valera drama was when her labwork was being called into question and she was suspended and her work investigated. That was very well done and dramatic. Something along those lines again wouldn't hurt. And I want to see her new hairstyle!! :D

Frank, Frank, Frank. Everyone's favourite foyle. A man who should take centre stage sometime soon in a well-written plot. He had a lot of great moments, like in 'Throwing Heat' with the landmine. His facial expressions said it all. I remember in another episode that was really funny was when Ryan and alleigh asked him to do a search, and he started typing reaallly slowly!! :lol: I think the dialogue went like this:

FRANK: Well, don't be breathing down my neck.
    CALLEIGH: Oh, we won't exhale until you're done.

And in Season 1, he got really ticked off with Horatio. The man's got talent! Please allow him time to shine!!

Ms. Boa Vista, IMO, is a tad more developed than Frank and Valera, what with being the mole and her ex returning and her sister being kidnapped. At least we know she has a sister!! Is Valera an only child? Does Frank have a brother? What are their families like? So many questions that can only be answered in the realm of fanfiction.

And finally, I come to Ryan, who has never really caught a break since S3, with his eye, lab mistakes, fraternising with Erica Sykes and leaking information, being 'cursed' or jinxed, being fired, need I go on? He's a great character, but I feel a greater effort must be made to include him more. It's like it's taken for granted that he's part of the team, so there's no need for 'team' moments, and I say that for everyone. The few times that there have been more than 2 people in a scene in the last few seasons was 'Death Pool 100', and of course, 'All In', but this needs to happen during a case in the layout room like the old days. Bring back the old team spirit!! :)

Hopefully, the writers will up the ante a little, and give these characters the screentime they deserve, integrating them with the ECH gang more.

Go team RNFV!! :D :)

15. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

YES!!! The use of my acronym beginsssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!! :hugegrin: