08 Presidential Elections

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Calihan, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

And why does the place I live in make a hill of beans worth of difference to the example? Just because I live where I do doesn't mean it needs to be brought up. And by the way not all technology works when it's needed to.

The news was actually quite expected since the economy has been floundering and people have to choose what and where to spend extra money on.

Equally since schools have started and some will start next week it's been hard for people to afford supplies for their children as prices for these have also risen. Seems interesting as this is one of the major issues facing the country is higher education. So many can't afford college because of the rising tuition rates and the lack of government funding, even scholarships are becoming scarce.

This come right from McCain's website. Though he is definitely making huge advances to equal out education for all there are still parents who believe that the only reason their children are in school is because it's the law.

We have the school choice program here and while it does work, the down side is that the family has to live near enough to the perticular school district lines for this to apply.

Obama actually lays out his plan on his website clearer than McCain has, which proves that Obama is taking time to cover all the bases.

This has been a debate for a long time about children slipping though the cracks in education either because teachers don't care or there are too many to contend with. I enjoy that he wants to individualize the learning tracks, which would make it easier for teaching certian subjects and children.

What also interests me about Obama is this:

I for one whole heartedly agree that the process for financial aid should be simpler. Under the surrent system they ask about both parents, the thing is a lot of parents can't afford to help with the college education of their children. Thus if one or both parents has a higher paying job sometimes the student doesn't get a lot or money or any at all for that matter. Which could force them to go to a college with less options than the one that they really want to attend, simply because of what the parent makes. I think there should be an option of looking just at the student's taxes and such as sometimes they are the ones paying for everything. Yes some parents do help but a majority have other children to contend with, simply don't have the money to help, or want their children to be responsible for themselves.

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

3. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Initially, although I liked Senator Obama's ideas, I felt he had too little experience to be President. But the party has made its choice, so I will back him 100%. He's certainly got better - read new - ideas than his opponent. I certainly don't want four more years of Bush's philosophy, which - if you put McCain's stated plans side by side with Bush's - is what you get. I think he's basically a good man, but willing to pander more than the Democrats to win votes.
    desertwind, I understand your resentment, but in order for the Dems to win this election, we've got to stop our own infighting. We've got to let the past year go, as nothing more than electioneering on the part of all the candidates. Senator Obama understands this and has welcomed the support of the other Dem. candidates. In recent years, the Republicans have been better at this than the Democrats, which probably allowed them to win. And look at the mess their running the country has gotten us into. It's crucial we turn our outrage toward the Republicans' vested interests in helping the oil interests, etc, or we will implode again.

4. Desertwind

Resentment:confused: I voted for Bill Clinton, & under his administration the country was in great shape, but in saying that I think the Clintons time for being top dog is over, she didn't get the nomination, Obama did, but still puts her name in for the nomination.. that's a bit over the top! and I do support all of them I'm registering people for this campaign, and am very passionate & happy about it:thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  5. Audrey2419

Audrey2419 Pathologist

It isn't over the top for Hillary's name to be in for the nomination. It has always been done that way. Check the rules and the history of the Democratic Party. In years past the other nominees' names were always put on the first ballot, and those other candidates did not have nearly as many delegates as HC has.

6. Desertwind

I know that Audrey I just think it's tacky:(what's the point?

7. Audrey2419

Audrey2419 Pathologist

Tradition...:rolleyes:

8. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

Hilary just want to be in the White House and that is all she care about and she don't care about us and she is so desperate to get in the White House, that is why she so resent it. White House don't want her back in the White House, because they don't want to go through that again, you know like, go to the court or anything.

Desertwind didn't said anything about resentment about anybody. She can't stand Bush and I can't understand how he get in the White House that low IQ and my mom said, his daddy Bush got him in the White House. He did good back in 2000, but now, he doesn't show anything, he is like he is giving up or tired of it or something.

I don't think Obama should be President, we all know he will. I'm just worry, just like Demcrate is. Would he end up like John Adams, Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedys? We still have hatefull people here in the United States. McCain is out of touch, he can't keep an eyes on his 8 houses, he doesn't know which keys to go to. Oh come on, My late former uncle has 4 houses, he kept eyes on them. If he is going to become President, he will have to keep an eyes on us. If Obama won, I will listen to him and I will see what he does on his promise. Clinton and Bush didn't promise us nothing that they going to do when they were President, well Bush still is, but not for long, Jan. come, bye, bye Bush.

Desertwind, I learn in High School, Dem. take and Republican give and also, Dem. they going for the rich and Repulbican go for the poor or rich and that was long time ago.

9. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

desertwind and NicknGrissom, I was referring to posts on the last page (specifically #174) where it was obvious that you (desertwind) resent Senator Hillary Clinton's past actions. Sorry I wasn't clearer. I hope tonight's speech made it easier for you to believe she will try to help elect Senator Obama President.

10. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

I suggest you listen to her speech from the Democratic Convention. Clinton has earned the position that she has today and I think that she can and HAS fully accepted that she's not in the White House and is now concentrating on getting the Obama/Biden double ballet into the Oval Office. The White House's opinion has nothing and shouldn't have anything to do with it - the USA is supposed to be a Democracy, by the people for the people, and not have a commitee choose the next leader.

And there's nothing tacky about putting her name on the nomination. It's simply a sign of respect - Obama appreciates the struggle she put in and recognises her as an ally, a member of the same team. How is that tacky? It's been that way for a century. It would be so disrespectful if he didn't even consider her for the position and would only serve to further irk some of her already frustrated die-hard voters. Democrats need to come together to win this election, and to completely write her off would only serve the Republicans.

11. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

Why should I listen to her? I don't believe every word she said. She is resent it to them and she won't show it, she has to give up her delegate to Obama and she has too. She is not really accepted that she is not in the White House. Don't let her fool you, I'm not fool by her and listen to her voice or her eyes if you don't see it. I listen enough of Clintons of 8 years. I can't stand them and I don't know what is it and I can't tell you why I can't stand them.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  12. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

It's natural for someone who has fought so long and hard for a position to have some resentment that she didn't win. However, she is a seasoned politician and has wisely set that resentment aside in favor of supporting the Obama/Biden ticket. There is nothing more that she can do to run for president right now, and so she is moving on. If you listen to her speech from last night, you will see that she is calling on her supporters to unite as a single party, and if they are thinking about supporting McCain, then they really need to examine why they were supporting her in the first place.

That speech was brilliant, heartwarming, and touching. It hit all the right notes, and I am so proud that I supported her when she was running.

13. Desertwind

[​IMG] to this fabulous Democratic Convention, all the riveting speeches brought me to my knees, where to start, the Kennedys' poweful. amazing to MIchelle Obama she's so down to earth, charming, classy, funny and elegant she rocked:thumbsup: the Clintons great orators, and so powerful as well, and Bills one line "and the 3rd time is not a charm" good one. Joe Biden, I knew of him, but not much about him and now I do, he's great:bolian: his poignant stories, his passion, his down home approach and his knowledge, overwhelming:wtf: no wonder Obama picked him.. great choice and tonight Obama's acceptance speech..and on to the White House[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  14. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Great acceptance speech. I noticed the Clintons weren't there. Great move on their part; it was Senator Obama's night and they didn't want anything (including the presence of the last Democratic President) to overshadow that. And I'm so glad Senator Obama went after McCain! Kerry didn't do that to Bush in 2004 and look what happened. Keep after him, and never let up. Go O/B!!
    May the Force be with you! :D

15. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

What an amazing few days for the democrats. I can't say that I'm in love with Biden, but I feel like maybe, come November, the country will be able to breathe a little bit easier. Hopefully we'll be able to be proud of our president soon.

O/B!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.