Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Daquien, Jul 20, 2008.

1. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

As it stand Team GB are on:

Gold: 18
    Silver: 13
    Bronze:13

with at least a silver medal for sure in the boxing but that could be a gold.

Those pesky Russians are in 17 golds and I am deserate for GB to finish above the Russians.

I know the Olympics are not about beating other nations on the medal table but GB have been the bridemaid so many times and to come out as 'Top European' county would be amazing.

It might end in GB finishing 4th but that still would be better than expected.

We could get a couple more golds this weekend, we gotta hope Russia don't over take us.

*also with regards to the Dutch open water 10km swim (if it wasn't for our man David Davies gettin' a little delarious and going of course it would have been a gold medal for GB) But I'd rather a Dutch athlete win than a Russin (as was the 10km open women swim booooooooo) lol

2. Gravity

Gravity Witness

I do have to say, the GB team is doing really excellent :thumbsup: What a performances, esp. with the cycling on track with Hoy, Pendleton and that young guy, forgive me if I'm wrong but thought his surname is Kelly...you guys kicked as with that sport :thumbsup:

3. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^Wow, that one was thrilling, Spain suffered until the last second...
    Good luck against Argentina (tough team).
    I don't think Spain will beat USA, they did in the World Cup but I don't think it'll happen tomorrow. Anyway silver will be great: World champions, European subchampions and now Olympic finalists.

Three new medals for Spain: second silver for David Cal, this time in men's canoe single C1 500 m (poor guy threw up in the podium), gold in canoeing k2 500 m and silver in synchro swimming team (Russians are definitely unbeatables). Btw, did you see in synchro swimming the Japanese girl that fainted in the pool? Ouch, that's a tough sport !!!
    Another medal is on the way 'cause today is the male hockey final against Germany.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  4. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Saturday was a great day for Norway: gold medal for women in handball. Russia hadn't any chance.

Another gold was in track and field - Andreas Thorkildsen in javelin. His throw is now the best result in the world and new Olympic record. Sadly Finns really disappointed. Tero Pitkamaki was third, fourth Tero Jarvenpaa and fifth Teemu Wirkkala.

High jump was a surprise. Blanka Vasic second!:eek:

5. NZGirly

NZGirly Police Officer

Who saw the bronze medal taekwondo match between Cuba and Kazakhstan when the Cuba competitor kicked the referee?!! :eek:
    And now him and his coach are banned for life!! It was quite funny to watch actually

6. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^Yeah, I saw it. Being a referee is dangerous but being a taekwondo one seems double dangerous !!! :eek: Don't mess with an angry taekwondo guy...

Three last medals for Spain: silver in male hockey, bronze in male handball and silver in male basketball (they made suffer the Dream Team 118-107).

So the final count are 18 medals: 5 golds, 10 silvers and 3 bronzes.

7. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

YAY! USA in volleyball won with Brazil! I'm so happy! I'm supporting US team for years and it's my favourite right after Polish national team. It was so amazing. Everyone thought that Brazil will win 'cause well, it's the best team on the world. But in Olympics US was better! The same final was with women, but there Brazil won.

8. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Jason Kenny. :) Congrats to Holland in the Women's hockey, btw. :D

Chris Hoy will be carrying our flag at the Closing Ceremony. :D

I'm very proud of Team GB's achievement. A Top 5 finish was beyond anyones' expectations.

[​IMG]

9. Audrey2419

Audrey2419 Pathologist

I am impressed with all of the athletes who were able to compete at the Olympics. It takes an extraordinary amount of hard work and commitment to get to the level that these folks are, and I just want to say that they did all of us PROUD!!

:beer:

10. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Oh we got bronze in men's javelin! Andreas was wonderful again, right man won... our guys were also 4th and 5th :p

Anyways, four medals and the main point SWEDEN DIDN*T GET GOLD AT ALL AND WERE BEHIND US IN THAT MEDAL TABLE! WOOHOO!

Winning is not the most important thing, but Sweden losing is ;)

Anyways, wonderful olympics and I cannot wait for London 2012! (of course winterlolympics in Vancouver)

11. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

12. Gravity

Gravity Witness

The Dutch squad arrived in Holland today and were welcomed by many people in the Olympic Stadium of Amsterdam. The Dutch have done very well these Olympics...London, here we come :D

13. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

Even still, not every athlete is tested. They're "randomly" selected (though somehow almost always wind up being gold medalists). Bolt even volunteering is a pretty good sign that he's not doping, and being tested 7 times is much more than most athletes are. Relax, the IOC has a job for a reason and we should be able to trust that they're doing it. If a snowboarder can have his gold taken away for smoking a joint a week before hand I think they'll be diligent enough to catch someone so much in the public eye.

14. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I am pretty sure all medalists are tested and then some other are randomly tested, so Bolt will be tested at least 3 times.

15. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

All medallists are tested I think and everyone else can be randomly tested. Michael Phelps did a press conference and said he has been tested over 40 times in the last 8 weeks.

With regards to Sweden’s performance they were missing their athletic stars weren’t they? I know Olsen was out injured and Kluft has switched sports so she didn’t fair well in the long jump. Although I was kind of glad she pulled out the heptathlon I was hoping Kelly Sotherton would shine in her absence but she finished 5th (bumped upto 4th after Blonska’s positive drug test) also didn’t see anything of the Kallur twins, or the high jumper whats her name Kajsa Berggvist