08 Presidential Elections

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Calihan, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Hey NicknGrissom my buddy, that's why people say don't talk politics or religion, I just posted his accomplishments, they pretty much speak for their selves, and I respect your views you know I do;) here's a brief description of the difference between the two parties! and I never said I approved of him or liked him or condoned his sleazy actions, I said our country was better off, under his regime! his actions during this campaign have been bizzare and his comments off-the-wall!

DEMOCRATIC PARTY

REPUBLICAN PARTY

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Oh no, I just read an article talking about the possibility of Obama choosing Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Nebraska), very conservative, as his running mate. I thought :eek: and :wtf: until I read on and saw that he had accompanied Obama on his Iraq visit and that many otherwise sane pundits are taking this seriously. NO-NO-NO, Senator Obama, this is not how to bring the country together. It's nice that he's anti-war like you, but in everything else he is anathema to your potential voter base! Excuse me, I think I'm going over to check out Ralph Nader's website right now. :(

3. Desertwind

I think he'll announce his VP during the August convention, and whoever he picks will be his choice:thumbsup: here's a funny article from Paris Hilton on what she'd do if she were chosen, all in jest fans:lol:'top 7 things' I'd do in the White House!

http://www.newsweek.com/id/151740?GTI=43001

4. Desertwind

5. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

A source in the Obama camp says Senator Joe Biden of Delaware is Senator Obama's Vice Presidential choice. Official announcement should be made in a few hours. Go OBi, may the force be with you!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  6. Desertwind

It's him and I for one wll not make any harsh critical comments, till I see what he's all about:confused: I knew he'd never pick Hillary, all the nasty rude comments she made to him, and about him, she cut her own throat,, and the Bill baggage to boot, Obama is a smart cookie, so I have to say he knows what he's doing:thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden

7. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

Is it not possible to talk about Clinton without badmouthing her?

8. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Despite all the clamoring among her supporters to have her named the VP candidate, I'm not sure Senator Clinton was all that thrilled about the #2 position. The VP gets more perks, but, unless a need for succession occurs, the only power the VP has is to cast a tie-breaking vote in the Senate. She has more power as a Senator from New York. And, with the Presidency out of reach, she was probably more than amenable to the naming of one who can do more for party unity and possibly pick up votes of those who hate Senator Clinton and would refuse to vote for Obama if she is on the ticket. I guess it's just Senator Obama's team deciding who can bring the most votes to the ticket. Hopefully, Senator Clinton will give the speech of her life at the Democratic Convention this week in order to convince her holdout supporters that backing Obama/Biden is the best thing for the country.

9. Desertwind

I wasn't bad mouthing Hillary, she was bad mouthing Obama, continually in the debates, as I was refering too:confused:and how cool Ted Kenndey's doctor said he could go to the convention and he's going to speak god love him, and Caroline too this week, very exciting and stimulating for Democrats:thumbsup: GO DENVER~

Some Colorado trivia!

Colorado has a history of feeling overlooked, a problem dating back to 1867, when the Union Pacific Railroad bypassed the area for an easier routes across the Wyoming prairie. DENVER was forced to build a spur to Wyoming, leaving residents steamed about being treated in a cow town. In 1876, Colorado became a state and burst onto the national political scene, casting the deciding votes when republican Rutherford B. Hayes won the Electoral College by one vote. In 1908, Denver held the Democratic convention, which nominated William Jennings Byran by acclmation before he lost his 3rd bid for presidency to William Howard Taft. Part Wild West, part business capital of the Rocky Mountains region, the city had big banks as well as Market Street bordellos, 210,000 people, street cars and a sense it's fortunes were on the rise. Damon Runyon, writing for the Rocky Mountain news before making a big splash in New York, noted that suits and straw hats were more common among men in downtown DENVER that boots and cowboy hats. Still, organizers held a redeo and hired Apaches to camp at City Park. This year suggestions that delegates be welcomed at a redeo were brushed aside:: an amusment park was chosen instead. The cow town rap still infuses local sensibilities. From 1921 to 1925, the Klu Klux Klan dominated DENVER politics, including the governor's office and a U.S. Senate seat. Ben Stapleton became mayor with Klan support but later repudiated the organization. That issue still burns decades later, with movement to erase his name from housing projects built on the site of the former Stapleton International Airport!

Press Enterprise

10. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Apparently not. I haven't posted in here in a while and I am appalled at the blatant absence of basic facts. Anheuser-Busch, to a previous poster, was bought by a Belgian brewing company called InBev, and will continue to be brewed in the United States. And for the record, Obama may not have said too many bad things about Clinton in his speeches, but his campaign certainly had no problem releasing negative ads against her. Joe Biden? Good choice, but he also referred to Obama as "clean and articulate." He meant well, but it did not go over well.

I'm happy with the choice of Biden as VP, but am still puzzled by those people who didn't get their choice of Clinton as the nominee so they are going to vote for McCain. McCain is the last person I would vote for come November. He has done nothing to improve the healthcare system after years in office, he is basically a Bush Administration parrot (as much as he'd like to paint himself as "maverick"), and he is not going to protect my right to choose. Obama/Biden all the way in my household!

11. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Excuse me for doing facts off the top of my head, not everyone can remember every detail of everything. Besides the company wasn't the whole point of the previous post. There really isn't a reason to be so overly rude about that either.

I have to disagree at this point neither of the candidates are really impressing me, the ads are getting annoying and even worse than in previous years. I could care less how many houses someone owns and how another earned money for the campaign. The stances are minimal at best and really show no real attempt at major change to the country or the economy for that matter. They are more focused on making the other out to be a money hungry non caring person than showing what they really care about. Playing the others game by retaliating isn't going to favor well with a lot of voters, myself included.

12. Desertwind

OMG, I just watched hours of the Democratic Convention and to say it was powerful is an understatement:wtf:, first to see Caroline and Ted Kennedy speak was so inspirational and riveting they're both fantastic orators, and Ted has brain cancer, He looked great he is the epitomy of the party, the elder statesman. And so great to see so many of the Kennedy clan present. And then, Michelle Obama so sharp, witty and classy, elegant and down to earth . and her speech rocked. I love her already:thumbsup:

13. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Alrighty people. I know this is tough issue, but let's stay calm and keep the discussion as DISCUSSION and not going into personal stuff, mmm'kay?

14. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

I really don't see how that was rude. Your previous statement was how American companies are being bought out and moved overseas using Anheuser-Busch as your premier example. It would probably be best to have what's backing the statement up correct :p

I've had quite a few people say to me that they've been annoyed by Michelle Obama in the past due to her constant presence on stage despite her lack of contribution to anything, but I'd bet most of them are eating their words now. That speech was fantastic - Ms. Obama would be an astoundingly elegant and down-to-earth first lady.

I'm still waiting for more information on their policies, but I'm assuming that's coming. Here in Canada there've been an influx of commercials shown too on our own politicians (mainly the Conservative party's smear campaigns against Dion), and we don't even have an upcoming election. They're quite off-putting, in my opinion. I don't want the leaders of my country, or any country, squabbling over personality traits they find annoying. If you're going to go the smear route, at least use facts taken in context.

15. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

I'm sorry if I offended you, but accuracy is but a new screen away on the internet. And given where you live, this would have been big news.

Political commercials aren't really meant to do much more than attack your opponent. The real substance comes from their speeches and interviews, and the debates when they are conducted. For example, we already know that McCain is in favor of the war and continues to unyieldingly support it, even as the majority of the country has turned away from supporting it. We know that Obama is mostly pro-choice, but questions the necessity of late-term abortions even in the face of questions to the health of the mother. McCain would like to privatize Social Security. I could go on, but my larger point is that I gleaned none of that information from the commercials, but from the candidates' websites and news accounts.

Each candidate has his own vision for change, but that change caters to probably 25% of the electorate. The remaining 50% or so who are largely undecided are going to pick at the last minute anyway. In the meanwhile, we're going to get lots more ads -- that's where most of the money they raise goes! -- but it's up to us as voters to be determined to learn more instead of making choices based simply on political affiliation.

I fell asleep!!! I missed Michelle Obama, but I have seen highlights of her speech. I'm going to reserve final judgment on her until I've seen the whole thing. I bet I can find it online someplace. Are you in Denver? Is it awesome, fantastic, and amazing there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.