Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Daquien, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Usain Bolt did it again! He broke next record - 19.30 in 200 meters race!

Polish pole vaulter jumped 5.65 and he'll be in the final. Przemyslaw Czerwinski like Monika Pyrek is also mate from my city:D

2. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Usain Bolt and Yelena Isinbayeba are so impressive, the best two of the athletic competitions.*bows*

Spain got a couple more medals (bronze and silver) in track cycling and a silver one in synchro swimming duets, what a beautiful sport, ours did a great performance but the Russian ones seem unbeatable, I can't believe they can resist so much time underwater without breathing...
    I'm confident about the synchro swimming team getting at least the silver medal too, it's a pity they didn't let them wear bathing suits with lights, it would have been spectacular...

3. TallyHo

TallyHo Coroner

Usain Bolt Was fantastic! First time in Olympic history that 100 m and 200 m was won by the same person and in record times. Read somewhere that Michael Johnson said that Usain wouldn't win the 200 m cause he wasn't ready for it. Holy cow! if Usain were any more ready i.e. actually had some one challenging him down the straight, I'd bet we'd have an even faster time. Jamaica is continuing to astound on track. Bring on the 4x100 relay!

I am also simply delighted with Team Great Britain's showing. It's about time they came into their own and in their niche sports as well. Hope they can hold onto 3rd spot.

4. Audrey2419

Audrey2419 Pathologist

How about Team USA winning the gold medal in Equestrian Team Jumping this week? Misti May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh are also going for the gold medal in Beach Volleyball against China tonight. Go USA!:cool:

Medal Count
    G - 26
    S - 28
    B - 28

EDIT: May-Treanor and Walsh just won the gold medal!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  5. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Very much so! :D

Now it's:

Gold: 16
    Silver: 10
    Bronze: 11

....courtesy of Tasha Danver's 400m hurdles bronze.

Me too. Only the Russians can challenge that now I think, realistically. *crosses fingers and toes* ;)

6. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Haha yeah! And...

Michael Phelps= amazing. 8 Gold Medals. :D
    Women's/Men's water polo= women in the finals against, I believe, Netherlands. Go USA! Men play Serbia in the semi-finals tomorrow.

7. Gravity

Gravity Witness

We got another gold medal and this is a special one: Maarten van der Weijden, long distance swimmer 10 km open water. When Maarten was 20 he was diagnosed with acute leukaemia and the doctors had no hope for him but Maarten fought for one more operation, and I don't know the exact English, in Dutch it's a stamceloperatie and he beat the disease and now...GOLD!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. Gravity

Gravity Witness

As we say in Holland: JJJOOOOEEEEEEHHHOOOOOOEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! In other words, yippie but then with more enthusiam ;)

What a match, the Dutch water polo team beat the USA...what a match, I'm still :eek: :lol: ;)

I'm so proud of our Dutch squad, we now have 6 gold, 5 silver and 4 bronze :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

Today the German show-jumping team was kinda disappointing. Ludger Beerbaum and Meredith Michaels-Beerbaum made it to the jump-off for the Bronze Medal, Ludger got 4 Penalty Points. Meredith made it through without any PP but wasn't fast enough to win.

Both German 4x100 Relays made it to the finals but only because the US boys and girls once again couldn't bring the baton home...I don't think they'll stand a chance in the final.

10. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Yup. :( It was a great game to watch though. Netherlands kicked our asses in the first quarter, and we really fought to get back. It wasn't enough in the end though. An amazing game, all in all, and I'm still proud. Silver isn't bad, it just isn't gold, ha. :D Great job Netherlands.

G: 29
    S: 34
    B: 32

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  11. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Ah, we got three men is javelin final!

Anyways, I just heard yesterday that Jamaica doesn't have any kind of anti-doping system. How on earth they let them be in games if they don't have it? Bolt has been in one as voulenteer (sp?) but has tested only like 7 times :rolleyes:

Oh, I am glad they finally take baseball and softball out of olympics, seriously. It's only a few countries that play it. And erm... BMX? Srsly?
    I hope they'd take floorball in some day. It's a wonderful game and spearding fast :D

12. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^US athletes are pissed because Jamaicans are beating them but so far Bolt hasn't tested possitive and he has been tested many times at the games. It's not fair to say someone is doped without testing possitive 'cause you can doubt of everyone then.
    I don't remember US Marion Jones or Antonio Pettigrew testing possitive in the previous games and now they're confessing they were doped.
    And correct me if I'm wrong but I think I've heard that in the NBA there are no doping tests.

Spain got 2 new medals: gold in sailing (tornado) and silver in canoeing 1000 m for David Cal.
    The hockey male team did it to the final, I hope the handball and basketball male teams do it too and the synchro swimming team is doing great.

13. Gravity

Gravity Witness

Another gold for Holland: Women's Hockey :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Our women are doing a fantastic job: we've got 7 gold, 5 silver en 4 bronze, total of 16 and 13 medals were won by the women :thumbsup:

14. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

Yay! Germany has 3 more Gold Medals, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze! Kayak and Canoe: K4 500m Women and K2 1000m Men won Gold, C2 1000m Men won Silver and K4 1000m Men won Bronze. And Lena Schöneborn won Gold in the Modern Pentathlon! Woohoo :D

15. ametista

ametista Prime Suspect

Congratulations to Spain’s men’s basketball team for making it to the final :) It was a great game :thumbsup: Lithuania fought till the end, but Spain was stronger today… Hope Spain will put up a good fight against US for the gold.

Olympic men’s basketball semifinals are cursed for Lithuania… fifth Olympics in a row we make it to the semifinal and lose it… well there’s always next Olympics to try and break the curse…

So far Lithuania’s medal count is:

G – 0
    S – 2
    B – 3

I think it’s a great result for a country so small :D

We’re hoping for one more medal – bronze in men’s basketball. We beat Argentina in preliminaries, we can do it again.