Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Daquien, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

She's such a kickass lady!

We got our 3rd medal today, silver from rowing! Yay, it's all good now with three medals :) few days ago there was soem grumbling about it, because the other aussie rower had said that the Finns (Nieminen/Sten) are fat. Oh yes, both weight some 56kg :p :rolleyes: Our president was following the race and she was jumping in the air :p But I wasn't surprised that Holland won - even I said the whole time "I think Canada wins" :lol:

As for athletics. I was said that Churandy Martina (AHO) missed start so badly that he only came 4th. I really hoped medal for him. But Usain was amazing.

Oh and men's hammer, our guy was 6th which was wonderful because he hasn't done so well this year. And women's triple jump! OMG 6 women over 15metres!

And I guess it's a shock that Lagat (nowdays USA) didn't go thru in 1500m

And something what I don't normally follow, but our woman got to final in Equestrian (Dressage) - I guess most of the people don't even realise how good she is - these are her 6th olympics, missed two because the horse was sick.

Speaking of the 6th olympics, our shooter (Hirvi, who carried that flag in openings) were in his 6th olympics as well and was his last olympics. Too bad he didn't win medal, if I remember right - he has one silver.

2. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

I just watched Canada win the gold in the Men's 8 rowing team. One guy is from my city and my mom actually knows his mom, so it was pretty exciting. I'm very proud of Canada for everything they've won. :D

3. TallyHo

TallyHo Coroner

That's pretty neat. :) My Dad and Aunt are both past Olympians so know that feels. Just having participated at the Olympics gives all these wonderful athletes the right and the privilege of calling themselves Olympians regardless of whether they've won any medals and I reckon this is it which makes the Olympics that more special than any other world sporting event.

Womens 100 m final... what a coup by Jamaica! Congrats to North Korea's female gymnast for winning gold in the women's vault and the indomitable Guo Jingjing on her 4th Olympic gold medal in women's diving and she's only 26 yrs; great pity she's already announced her retirement.

I'm looking forward to equestrian, athletics, cycling-track and more diving on Monday. Jamaica in the 200 m and 4x100 relay should be pretty exciting.

4. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Gold medal for Poland in gymnastics:) Leszek Blanik in vault. His performance was great. French gymnast was close to perfection like Leszek but he didn't make a "blanik jump":lol:

In pole vault won of course Jelena. No one can beat her, just no one. And next world record by her - 5.05 meters. It's so sad that Monika Pyrek (mate from my city) didn't jump over so high. She was fifth. Anna Rogowska also disappointed but she's not in her top form for years:(

5. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

Jelena is just hundreds times better than the rest. It's amazing really, to win by such a huge margin. She been on top for years now.

I can't wait to see Usain Bolt again in the 200m, he was just strolling. It's amazing, I really think he could have a chance at MJ's record.

6. Gravity

Gravity Witness

Anky has done it again, her 3rd Gold medal (Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, and now again) in the Individual Dressage :thumbsup:

Dutch team have till now:

Gold: 4
    Silver: 5
    Bronze: 4

Not bad for a small country :thumbsup:

7. Ducky

Ah and these were her last olympics. It was great performance. Our woman was 8th.

Our discusthrower sucked (was 11th in final). But women's 100m hurdles - I am sorry but I cheer when americans or any of those, who are kept as "winner" fail... Lolo Jones, just tried too much (it's not too high) and oh that australian and canadian were sooooe excited when they realised they got medals :D :lol: holding hands, screaming and jumping!

Men's high jump - we cheered when Holm failed (the most important thing isn't winning but that swedish lose ;) Oh poor king must have been sad)

Isinbajeva was btw great yesterday, no surprise there. One surprise for today was the fact that Sanya Richards was 3rd. Also men's 1500 - I was happy far Rachid Ramzi and glad that the annoying french Bahla didn't get medal :p

8. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Football
    Belgium-Nigeria 1-4
    Brazil-Argentine 0-3

Boy, we really had our butts kicked.:(

Errr..Medals:
    Gold:0
    Silver:0
    Bronze:0
    :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  9. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Silver medal in discus throwing! Malachowski was so close to get gold, but Kanter was much better this day. Ha, but our guy is before Alekna!

Did I mention that yesterday Polish volleyball team won with Russia? Quarter final is with Italy tommorow. I believe that Polish guys will win! And next team will be in 100% Brazil (sorry China:p).

10. Gravity

Gravity Witness

I'm really surprised with the performance of our Dutch Water Polo team :thumbsup: They beat the Hungarian team and now they face team USA in the final...Hup Holland Hup :thumbsup:

11. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I have to say our cyclists were amazing. And a silver in the high jump and gold in the womens 400m, quality. To be honest I'm pretty shocked how well we're doing!

12. Ducky

I watched Poland-Russia game for some time and I thought Russia will kick some ass and was rather surprised when checked the results.

As for football...when I saw the last four teams, I was like "wtf Belgia is doing there?" :lol: :lol: perhaps they beat Brazil in bronzegame ;) So I was happy Argentina kicked some brazilian ass!

And forgot to mention, I was really sad that Naide Gomez didn't get thru in women's long jump :sad: Wanted her to win :sad:

13. NZGirly

NZGirly Police Officer

So far New Zealand's medal table is
    Gold: 2
    Silver: 1
    Bronze: 5

Not bad for a little country

14. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

In quarter finals both Polish teams didn't get promotion to half finals:( Sadly I mean our chances to medals - volleyball and handball. Match with Iceland was really good in last few minutes but they won. I can say that guys from Iceland were much better than us. In 100% ready to this game. Our coach and players wanted to play with Iceland. That's cause in last four matched with them we won. But well, Vikings fought and won. Congrats to them and I hope they will have gold medal 'cause they deserve it.

15. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Team GB tally so far is

Gold :16
    Silver: 10
    Bronze: 10

I don't care what anyone says its un-bloody-believable. We're above the Russians, Germans & Aussies at the moment. I pray to good we can remain in 3rd come this weekend. UK Sport set a target of finishing 8th in the Medal Table with 10 Golds and then hopefully finish 4th in 2012 behind 'The Big 3' (USA, China & Russia) so if we finish 3rd at these Games then god knows where we can go from there.

The womens 400m final yesterday was something else. I honestly hand on heart did not think we would win it. I though Sanya Richards the American would win. Christine Orohugou proved her might in that race and shown the whole country her win at the World Champs last year was not a fluke.

Hopefully we can win Gold in the Triple Jump tomorrow and maybe get a couple of Silvers or Bronzes in the relay races.

I'm hoping we can end the games with 18 Golds possible even 19.