Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Daquien, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^Yeah, I saw it, ouch, that was painful !!! :wtf:
    And how about that Swedish wrestler that threw his medal?

We only have 2 medals so far (gold in cycling and bronze in fencing) and a bunch of fourth places in judo...:rolleyes:
    I'm crossing my fingers today for Nadal against Djokovic, it's a pity that there won't be a Federer-Nadal final.

2. Little_Peaches

Little_Peaches Police Officer

Call me nasty but we had a giggle at the female weightlifter who couldn't lift the bar. Dropped it, wailed like a child, pushed her coach(?) away in a temper and walked smack into the wall. I know, I'm a bad, bad person but it was like, other people have been a little more graceful when they have lost and she throws a tantrum. Oh my!

I'm getting a little sad in my old age. The first thing I'm doing in the morning is grabbing my phone and checking the latest results. Once again, Michael, you are fabulous! The boy is unstoppable!

3. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

I really want Michael to beat Spitz's record! He truly deserves it. Definitely he's the star of the last two Olympic games. Man, Michael is making history! And I love his words which he said some time before games that he doesn't want to be a second Spitz but first Michael Phelps.

Today athletics!:D

Oh, and of course big Polish team haven't had any medals... ehhh...

4. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Hi Gravity. I'm only surprised you guys didn't win the gold in dressage. Such an elegant sport and your country is always so good at it.

5. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

that gloomy news calls for a bit of dementi..
    I don't really watch Olympics but it's nice to know we got silver in men's fencing and GOLD in men's shot put :D

6. Gravity

Gravity Witness

Hi rahkira, the dressage is often a battle between Holland and Germany. We have a wonderful sportsathlete in Anky van Grunsven but our numbers two and three didn't do well whereas Germany, with Isabelle Werth, their people all did well. About Isabelle Werth, she and Anky always battle for gold, will be interesting to see who wins the individual dressage. Go Anky :)

The video about the Hugarian weightlifter: oh men :eek::eek::eek: That was SO awful to watch!

And that video about that woman who smacked her head: same as Little_Peaches, I had a giggle as well ;)

7. CSISneaky

CSISneaky Police Officer

Oh yes, Nastia Liukin gets gold and Shawn Johnson a very close silver. Was an amazing All-Around Gymnast Final, I am well pleased they share the top two medals :)

8. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

So glad that you wrote it first;)

I saw how Szymon Majewski won gold. It was so amazing! Sad that Americans disappointed, I wanted a big fight and shot puts more than 22 meters. But Szymon won! And I'm very happy 'cause of that:) I hope our ladies in steeple chase will show from the good side.

I watched 100 meters race first round. Bolt ran amazingly! I want see him, Asafa Powell, Walter Dix and Tyson Gay chasing.

I haven't seen equestarian for ages! And I always can't catch it on sport channels. Anyway, I also hope that Anky will win:)

9. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Yeah Michael Phelps is awesome. I hope he wins them all too.

I want to see Walter Dix do well since he goes to my Alma Mater...Florida State! :D

10. NZGirly

NZGirly Police Officer

Good day for New Zealand Rowing!
    For the Men's single sculls, Mahe Drysdale won bronze (which was amazing since he was really sick and actually threw up and collapsed after his race, poor thing)
    For the Men's Pair Nathan Twaddle and George Bridgewater won bronze for their event
    And for the Women's Double Sculls Gerogina and Caroline Evers-Swindel won the GOLD!!!!
    So proud of them :D :D :D :D

11. melbel

melbel Pathologist

We got one in the cycling individual pursuit. a silver

12. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

We've had a good day today us Brits. 4 Golds 1 Silver & 4 Bronze. If the sailing hadn't been post-poned we probably could have added a couple more golds to that tally and would have shot to 3rd in the medal table. Although we do have plenty more Golds to come in the cycling, rowing and sailing.

Actually if you just count sports which require you to be sitting on your backside GB would top the medal table haha. 5 of our 7 golds so far are 'sitting down' sports lol.

How amazing was Rebecca Addlington last night/this morning? Breaking a 19 year old world record. That really is something. Every other race in the pool WRs are breaking left right and centre so it really does show Beckys phonomenal effort

13. TallyHo

TallyHo Coroner

Holy cow! Tyson Gay failed to qualify for the 100 m final! :eek: Usain Bolt cruised in at 9.85 seconds.

With the sort of caliber of the 100m finalists, there's talk of all of them coming in under 10 seconds which has never been done. THAT would be brilliant!

BTW, congrats to Great Britain. Super Saturday results! :)

14. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Britain havent done that bad to have have we!! Im so glad we won the rowing today :)

I think she is an amzing athlete especially with only being 19 years old. When the BBc spoke to the other British woman who got Gold in swimming, in the 60's I think?, she said that Addlington was 6 months when the record was previously set. And to think she only went to Beijing to get experience for when the games come here in 2012!

...I love your point about the sitting down sports :lol:

I didnt see that coming either! Did you see the heat with Bolt?! When he won easily? Jogging over the line :lol:

15. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Canada has finally won they first medals of the games. Carol Huynh got gold in Womens 48kgWrestling, Dave Calder and Scott Frandsen got silver in Mens rowing and Tonya Verbeek got bronze in Womens 55kg Wrestling :)